[flashback] the scholar and the pirate (nel & hadrian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Re: [flashback] the scholar and the pirate (nel & hadrian)

Postby Hadrian on March 29th, 2010, 7:58 pm

"Neat," he said with a smile. He didn't have any reason to disbelieve her. Zeltiva was first and foremost a port town and the harbor was equally as important as the University in the Old Quarter with his pre-Valterrian architecture.

"And, you know, if you wanted to enroll in the University, they might could teach you some tricks with the wind. Or you could always dedicate yourself to Zulrav and become a Stormwarden. You'd have the fleetest ship on the seas that way."

He grinned.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Nel Sayo on April 1st, 2010, 5:57 am

She laughed.

"I've never been to -- school. I don't think I'd be any good at it," she told him, with a smile and a shrug. Life was what it was, and Nel was not a scholar. "And I bet you have to pay for it, and I don't have that kinda money. But if you wanted to teach me some wind stuff on the sly, I won't complain."

Yes, the Wayside Wizard, that was Nel. She grinned right back at Hadrian.

"Or when I get my own ship, I could employ you, and you could just do it for me."
Nel Sayo
a silver lining.

Words: 114187
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 9:08 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 1st, 2010, 6:14 am

"Reimancy isn't my forte, but if I ever command the winds and need employment, I will keep you in mind."

In his mind, he started engineering an amulet for her. He would take a witch stone, glassy and smooth with its natural hole through the middle, work layer upon layer of reimancy into it. Like that. Just so. Until she could wear it around her neck, raise it to her lips, blow through it, and guarantee a wind in her sails.

Well, he would have to draw out the blueprint. But it was an intriguing idea. But only an idea now. He was no magecrafter.

"Or maybe someday I'll make you something better."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Nel Sayo on April 2nd, 2010, 4:01 am

"Like what?" she asked, immediately.

Interest spiked into her eyes; he had her full attention. Which could be a startling thing, at first, as her attention was so often split across at least a dozen things, so to be the sudden focus of it fully might have been a bit staggering. Blue eyes were locked on him, though, eyebrows arching curiously upward.

"And what are you feeding me for lunch?" She gave her belly a pat. "The monster is waking."
Nel Sayo
a silver lining.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 2nd, 2010, 4:21 am

"Well, Zulrav's Stormwardens trap storms into their Stormgems and use the power to... do stuff. That requires energy. I'll make you an anti-Stormgem someday that will release the winds when you need one at your back. Or something. Someday."

He was going to have to be a better artisan of magic to do so, and learn how to control air as well, unless Zulrav for some reason saw fit to mark his skin with gnosis.

As it happened, they were approaching his neighborhood, a collection of cottages huddled close to the pre-Valterrian Old Quarter in which the University resided -- other than the College of Navigation.

"I have... food." That long moment didn't remind him what was in his larders, but he knew he wasn't going hungry so there had to be something. "Also, liquor. If you aren't from here, I don't think you'll like the kelp beer and for some reason, they don't like to serve much else in the pubs."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Nel Sayo on April 2nd, 2010, 2:40 pm

"Oh I like the kelp beer," she said, as if surprised to hear that other people didn't enjoy it. "Why wouldn't someone like it?"

Of course, to a girl who'd grown up swilling grog, anything might taste good by comparison. Her smile flashed brilliant at the idea of a magical Stormgem, and she actually hopped excitedly as they walked.

"That would be great," she decided. "Then I'd never get stuck for days -- that's the worst, especially when it's hot out and you've only got so many rations and everyone gets so cranky like whining will make the wind pick up. Someday, Hadrian, that will be the best present ever."

She was beaming at him like he'd already given it to her.
Nel Sayo
a silver lining.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 2nd, 2010, 4:22 pm

He couldn't help grinning back, though not quite with her unmitigated glee. She appeared to be a Konti; perhaps one couldn't tell for sure without checking for gills and scales, but she had the coloring, at least. If one of Avalis' seeresses had that much faith in him, well, it certainly boosted his confidence.

"I dunno about the beer. I mean, it was strange at first, but I got used to it. A lot of people, though, they really hate it. Like vomit-hate." He shrugged.

"And maybe you wouldn't want a Stormgem when you're sitting there with no wind. Maybe a Briskbreezegem. You don't want to founder from too much of a good thing."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Nel Sayo on April 3rd, 2010, 5:37 am

"Yes I do," she laughed. "I most certainly want to founder from too much of a good thing. I mean, sure, it may take me a few tries to figure out how to use the thing without snapping the mainmast, but that's okay. Worth it in the end."

Nel enjoyed things like magic and adventure from a distance; she liked to think about them, and daydream, and listen to stories. So it was all very hypothetically fantastic to her, talking to a genuine wizard-in-training.

"Well, I'm sure it's terrible stuff, the beer, if you've never survived on sailor's grog for a month. But I find it refreshing, frankly." A self-deprecating smile.
Nel Sayo
a silver lining.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 4th, 2010, 11:08 pm

"You know, I've always wondered what exactly sailor's grog consists of... but now that I have an opportunity to ask, perhaps I don't really want to know. Here we are."

He walked up to his modest little cottage. Nothing to brag about, perhaps, but he was living beneath his means in order to save up investment capital. Opening the door for her, he followed her in.

Within, everything was simple and clean, but cluttered with books and papers and inkpots and quills.

"Make yourself at home. You can borrow some clothes if you want... while yours dry."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Nel Sayo on April 6th, 2010, 4:12 am

"There's rum involved," Nel told him conspiratorially, but that was about the only ingredient she seemed willing to part with. "Best you just...avoid it, really. It's not...for the feint of heart."

Which wasn't to say she thought he had a faint heart or anything, just that in general the stuff was best avoided, and even she would admit to trying to avoid it on the best days. She paced ahead of him into the little cottage, bright eyes up and swinging about, looking around interestedly. Ignored the books and papers because they were of no use to her, but was like to poke and prod at anything else that might be strange and interesting and dangerous to be poking at.

"This is nice. Oh --" She glanced down at her clothes. They were splotched here and there with damp spots, but mostly dry. "-- It's okay, they'll dry soon enough. I didn't wear them into the water, so it's really just my hair."

She smiled and shrugged and pointed at the bag of gooey leaves.

"Put that stuff on before your skin falls off."
Nel Sayo
a silver lining.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext