[University] Professor Rochlas (mod)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on March 29th, 2010, 8:30 pm

3rd Spring, 510 A.V.

While Hadrian had been excited by every class he had ever taken at the University, even the boring old trade and politics ones, and even though he was always glad for a term with Professor Stonemiller, this exotic Professor Rochlas from Abura brought a new level of intensity to the scholarly brain-lust of the young man.

Having traveled extensively with his father the merchant prince, Trajan Aelius' ships had only rarely traveled to Akvatar, so it remained a place of mystery for Hadrian. He had seen some of the island's strange people, wondered if they had been born of human magic or otherwise, and now he would get the chance to study from and work for such a one. He counted his blessings that he hadn't missed the opportunity, this likely being his last term at University.

While waiting outside the visiting professor's office, he took out his sketchpad and drew simple human figures, then plotted auras. Auristics was not his forte, but he would never disdain any form of magical knowledge -- for which some had advised caution.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on April 3rd, 2010, 2:55 pm

At the appointed time, the door was pushed partway open, and a soft voice called, "Come in."

The interior of the office was lit softly with the ubiquitous blue globes that illuminated much of the University. On one wall hung a large painting that depicted a seascape with a broad swath of desert in the background. It was rendered with exquisite skill -- there was almost certainly no artist in Zeltiva capable of producing such a piece. However, it also had a deep and abiding sadness about it, a melancholy that was hard to explain, but was nonetheless very real.

To the left of the entrance was a sort of low bench, on which sat Professor Rochlas himself. From the waist up, he looked human enough, a person of perhaps sixty years with short gray hair and a creased brow. A single turquoise strap was wrapped around his upper torso; it was the only item of clothing that he wore.

From his back sprung a pair of wings, looking rather like a butterfly's, but much larger. They were a subdued brown, which was also the color of the fur on his seal-like tail. The tail was curled in front of him, this apparently being the Akvatari approximation of sitting.

"Please, sit down." He inclined his head formally in the typical Zeltivan greeting. "I understand, Hadrian, that you have a fair amount of previous training in anthropology, and I was wondering if you could tell me if you have any particular emphasis or interest. There are several things I can teach during this term, but I should very much like to understand your scholarly direction before selecting my material."

His wings beat once, and he looked at his pupil with keen, expectant eyes.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Hadrian on April 4th, 2010, 11:29 pm

"Hello, Professor Rochlas," he said, having spent a while trying to get the pronunciation of the Akvatari's name down pat so as not to cause offense or even mild irritation. He sat and listened attentively, trying not to let his eyes wander around the room to take in the decor, though he hoped to be given an opportunity to do so at some point. Art was a common denominator of all cultures, and it was a clue as to communication.

"Well, sir, on a purely academic level, I'm interested in cultural anthropology, with regard to cultural symbolism. There isn't much I wouldn't like to learn, but I'm making an ongoing effort to be more precise. As to the more practical turn... I'm trying to develop my skills to the point where I can coexist with peoples who are less welcoming of human neighbors so I can continue my education wherever my future travels might take me.

"In fact, I have been working on a design for an amulet that would let me do some limited flying so I could visit your homeland without being a flightless burden."

He grinned. He couldn't help it. The world was wide open and he thought he had the tools to make anything happen.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on April 12th, 2010, 12:21 am

Rochlas seemed to take this information carefully, pausing to make sure he heard everything before speaking.

"Since you mentioned Abura, allow me to ask you a question; I'm not sure its applicability will be immediately apparent, but it should become clear shortly. In a relatively concise way, what can you tell me about the Akvatari people and culture? That is, what is your understanding from the perspective of an outsider who has never visited the city?"

He spoke softly, seeming to consider every word before saying it. This seemed to be his typical demeanor, and it stood in marked contrast to many of the more blustering academics Hadrian might have encountered on his travels through the University.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on April 12th, 2010, 12:41 am

Hadrian took a few moments to collect his answer to Rochlas from the various corners of his mind. Precision remained a byword he had attempted to train his mind toward for years now, and he was practiced at it, though it still took time.

"The Children of the Sea and Sky first came to general notice after Valterrian, and while various theories as to their race's creation exist, they keep their own thoughts on the matter to themselves. Biologically, they are composite beings, human from the waist up other than wings similar in configuration if not in scale to insects of the Order Lepidoptera. From the waist down, they are identical to seals. Not only amphibious, they are also capable of flight.

"Noted throughout Mizahar as exceptional artists, there is a recurrent trend toward melancholia in their work, at least from the perspective of other races. Symbolic language and other language games are common. Their relatively small population centers in Akvatar, though some range around the eastern coastal cities of the continent proper.

"Their government is democratic, led by the Council of Six, but open to referendum. Gender roles are often equally open, especially with childcare. Reproduction rates are lower than human standard...

"I'm sorry, Professor. I'm being as concise as possible, but this is a whole race you're talking about, and I'm trying to qualify everything rather than being human-normative. Am I answering your question properly, if not applicably?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on April 14th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Rochlas nodded slightly. "It's fine as far as it goes, suitable for an encyclopedia or a brief travel guide. But as you no doubt know, simply having read a brief description doesn't make one able to function in another culture."

There was a considered pause before he spoke again. "Now, I want you to imagine that you've suddenly been dropped in Abura with no traveling companions and no guide. If you wanted to begin understanding the culture of the city and its inhabitants, really understand them, what would be the first places you would go? The first people you would talk to? The first questions you would ask?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on April 15th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Hadrian considered this question for a moment before answering.

"Normally, my answer would be an artist, since the function of art is the expression of culture, but most Akvatari are thus gifted, so that might be a moot point. That aside, I would look for a scholar, because we would have been trained to think similarly, which would be one more bridge of understanding. Barring that, a child, because their thinking hasn't had time to be socialized completely in one way, and would likely be better able to communicate with foreigners."

Though he tried to hide it, this line of questioning both excited him and made him nervous. Practical and applicable anthropology is what he would need in order to be successful in his future travels, but it was also the weak point in his studies so far and he didn't like being other than the star pupil.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on April 17th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Professor Rochlas chuckled a bit, though somehow it still came out sounding melancholy.

"Fine answers as they go, but I fear you may be missing something painfully obvious. As you yourself have already mentioned, few people other than Akvatari and the occasional flying Kelvic are able to navigate Abura properly. If you arrived at the docks, it's unlikely that a scholar or a child would be waiting there to help you, and it wouldn't be feasible at all to go find one. You'd do much better to see if you could hire a chair-flight, or at least check with anyone at the Guest House, right next to the docks. You'd also be wise to mention you were a Zeltivan -- there's a solid friendship between our peoples, dating back at least to the days of Kenabelle Wright. "

He smiled a bit. "Perhaps it's unfair, perhaps it's a trick question, but I think it illustrates a good point. We all bring our own biases and our own assumptions to another culture, and as such, it's easy to overlook things that would be terribly important if only we hadn't assumed that they weren't. If I can teach you anything in terms of general technique, it will be to look at each situation with fresh eyes. What causes the most embarrassment, discomfort, or even death to travelers is not something they could not have known, but something they had a chance to know, but overlooked."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on April 18th, 2010, 6:19 am

"Well, one learns from trick questions," he admitted, though he still burned a little at not getting it right on the first try. "And I didn't assume I was at the docks, which was perhaps a mistake on my part. And I hadn't researched what sites are accessible to non-flying tourists recently, so... well, I see your point.

"Though... I could probably pretend to be a native Zeltivan, but I am originally from Syliras. I like to think I would have written ahead to secure lodgings and such if I were planning a trip to Akvatar."

That sounded a little lame even in his ears so he shut up and waited for Rochlas to expound further.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Liminal on April 25th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Rochlas nodded. "Aside from the Guest House, there isn't anything in Abura accessible to those who can neither fly nor function under the waves. Though yes, you're always wise to plan ahead when it's possible -- which isn't all of the time, but still."

He flicked the tip of his tail. "Let's try another thought exercise, shall we? Eventually, I'll get to the part where I teach you more about Akvatari culture, but I want you to try this one. I want you to try and explain to me the culture and structure of the civilization in Zeltiva -- but I want you to do it from the point of view of an Akvatari, given what you told me about them earlier. Put another way, pretend you're an Akvatari, and you're trying to explain to me what you've seen in Zeltiva."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Next