New Race Ideas (Brainstorming)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

New Race Ideas (Brainstorming)

Postby Hirem on March 31st, 2010, 5:23 am

Basically, I was throwing ideas around the ol' grey matter when I thought up of a couple racial ideas, and thought I'd post them up here and see which ones people might like to play as.

1) Tall and slender humanoids that developed out of the old Alahea empire that tasked themselves to acquiring and preserving pre-Valterian knowledge and eventually releasing them to the world to try to restore the old kingdoms. Inspired by Issac Asimov's Foundation series, the biggest problem that arose from this race is the fact that the pre-Valterian knowledge thing is similar to the Isur and Jamoura, but that can be fixed by making these guys much more weak physically, possibly stronger in their affinity for magic.

2) A race of short, hunchbacked cave-dwellers that only discovered the surface thanks to the Valterian shifting their tunnels close to the surface and opening up some passageways to the magical surface-land. I think it'd be really cool to explore this civilization that knows nothing about the Valterian and other races because they have their own rich underground culture. Also, cool little idea: the deeper you go underground, the more civilized the race becomes. There's more settlements and communities down there than the 'frontier' surface tunnels, where one has to fight for their very survival.

3) A group of tribal warriors that truly believe they descended from the god Izak, they exist in places revolving around fire. They frown upon other religions because, in their minds, only Izak was worthy to follow because he had shown he could rend the entire world apart when he was angry. Confrontational and direct, I can definitely see this race partaking in a lot of hostile actions with PC characters, though that is probably a bad thing.

So what do you think? These ideas are just random ones that were picked out and barely developed for the purposes of this topic, so if you have any ideas for a new race, I'm eager to hear them.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Re: New Race Ideas (Brainstorming)

Postby Gossamer on March 31st, 2010, 7:42 am

Okay, before this discussion gets going too far, I need to point out something. Mizahar has a tremendous number of player races already. And the Founders, because of the sheer volume, have already decided that there's really no need for more unless there's a OMG WOW factor involved or a very very special circumstance (read - epic gamewide storyarch). That doesn't mean there isn't room for development in the realm of cultures (ie.. subraces), but in terms of the core group of races, we're not really accepting any sort of development of this sort.

If you'd like to develop something else by all means feel free. We have virtually unlimited creatures/monsters/familiar types/offworlders that are summonable, etc that need to be completed. But in terms of playable races, we simply aren't accepting new development in this area.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: New Race Ideas (Brainstorming)

Postby Hirem on March 31st, 2010, 2:20 pm

Okay, Goss. Thanks for informing me about that.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)