The Nuit and the Falcon (Anselm & Tasler)

In which a Nuit and a Kelvic wait out the Djed storm together

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Nuit and the Falcon (Anselm & Tasler)

Postby Anselm on March 4th, 2012, 3:36 pm

The Nuit and the Falcon
01 Spring 512
The house of Anselm the Seer, Zeltiva

The first day of a new year. A time for new beginnings, new hopes, new dreams. At least for the living. For a nearly four hundred year old Nuit, it was just another day in the (sorta) life. He stepped outside and started off toward the marketplace as was his custom. He stopped. There was something wrong with the sky. Heavily overcast and decorated with unnatural colors swirling this way and that, it looked like dozens of vortexes colliding and separating and colliding again over the city. He looked toward the mountains to the West and saw a great wall of lightening-traced darkness rushing toward the city. He could feel the electricity in the air. And he could feel the Djed. Wild uncontrolled Djed. Then came the awful roaring sound. Anselm knew what it was. He had seen it before, although it was a very long time ago. The Djed storm predicted by the Konti had arrived.

He went back inside his house, bolted the door, sat down and waited for the storm to pass.
Last edited by Anselm on March 24th, 2012, 6:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Nuit, the Falcon and the Storm (Anselm & Tasler)

Postby Narrink Akamu on March 4th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Tasler was flying around the city noticing a strange change in the weather, the clouds started gathering and thunder could be heard. The falcon approached a nearby house trying to avoid the height but it looked more dangerous than any kind of storm he had seen before. The kelvic felt unsafe being out while the darkness approached threatening both buildings and people.

The house didn't look the safest fortress in the city, but there was no time for being picky, it was a matter of life or a possible death. The falcon approached one of the windows and gentlt pecked it to see if there was something inside to open the window before it was too late.
Narrink Akamu
The newcomer

Words: 6151
Joined roleplay: February 14th, 2012, 1:19 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Anselm on March 5th, 2012, 12:39 am

Anselm was settling into a meditation exercise when he heard something scratching against the backside of his tiny, one-room house. He listened but heard only the wind howling as it raced around the building. Then he heard it again. It was a tapping sound and it was coming from the back window. He went over to the window, which was small and mostly opaque. It had most likely not been opened for a very long time, as the wood had expanded and resisted as he pushed at it. He had gotten it open only a few inches when a crow-sized bird forced its way in, swooped once around the room, and disappeared under his bed. “Well,” said the old Nuit dryly. “Come right in.”

He pulled the window shut again and returned to his chair. He didn't bother with the bird. It would come out in its own good time. He was settling back into his meditation exercise when the storm struck with a sudden fury that took even the old Nuit aback. The stone building literally shook as the supernatural wind of the Djed storm drove against the side of the building with an ear-splitting shriek. A dense darkness enveloped the house punctuated by an almost continuous series of explosions of lightening accompanied by great booms of thunder that Anselm felt as much as heard.

He was reasonably confident that the stone walls would hold up to pretty much anything. He was less sure about the roof, but at least it was holding on for now. The storm continued unabated for hour after hour, during which Anselm disappeared into his meditations. At one point he was startled by a particularly thunderous boom and opened his eyes.

“I imagine there will be some damage in the city when all this blows over,” he said out loud to no one in particular. He noticed the bird peeking out from under the bed at him. He said to it, "It's probably just as well that you came in out of the storm. It's getting downright nasty out there.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Narrink Akamu on March 5th, 2012, 3:58 am

The falcon remained under the bed for some time, feeling a bit nervous not only for just avoided the worst storm he has ever saw, but also felt somewhat strange for just rushing in a person's house, without even seeing his face or trying to thank him, it wasn't possible in that state. It was only a matter of time that the man would get him out of the safe place under the bed, but as time passed nothing really happened, the man remained calm as the storm was still bursting outside, startling the living with the unpredictable lighting.

Tasler waited some time until he heard some words
“I imagine there will be some damage in the city when all this blows over” which he could understand but not answer, he peeked out in curiosity now that he noticed the stranger at least didn't show any sign of aggression, and flew out of his hideout to land on the man's shoulder. "It's probably just as well that you came in out of the storm. It's getting downright nasty out there.” Tasler simply answered with a couple of screams as he tried to look at the window from the spot.
Narrink Akamu
The newcomer

Character sheet

Postby Anselm on March 5th, 2012, 3:00 pm

“Well, well,” said the old Nuit as his feathered guest came to rest on his shoulder. “You're a falcon of some sort.” He craned his head around as far as he could to get a look at the bird. “And not in the least afraid of me, are you.” He let his mind reach out to touch the creature's aura just enough to confirm his suspicion. “Ah, I see.”

Oh great, he though to himself. Just what I need - somebody's Kelvic. You can't have lived the better part of four hundred years without having come across a few Kelvics. Anselm didn't much care for them because their dual nature made them unpredictable, and Anselm preferred predictable. But he couldn't very well send it back out into the storm.

“Okay, my fine feathered Kelvic. It's probably best that you stay in your falcon form for now. It's entirely up to you, of course, and you are welcome to stay here until the storm abates in any case. But I think you will find it easier to keep warm tonight in your feathered form. Also, if you transform into your human form, there's a good chance you will find that you are hungry and I do not have any food for you in my house. That's because I'm Nuit and Nuits don't require food.”

The wind seemed to be letting up some. The lightening blasts were fewer and farther apart, as were the thunder booms. But it was still dark. Then he realized that it was dark because it was night. The storm had raged through the entire day and was now headed off to the East. Anselm slowly stood up and as he did so the Falcon hopped off his shoulder and landed on the table. The Nuit limped over to the medium sized chest he kept in a corner, opened the lid and tossed a blanket into it.

“You can sleep here if you'd like. Or anywhere else that strikes your fancy. In the morning we'll see what we can do about food and clothing. For now I'd like to be left alone.”

Then he laid down on the bed, closed his eyes and became completely still. He wasn't sleeping of course. He was simply letting himself move into a meditative state, where he would remain until morning. This would rest both body and mind. I hope this Kelvic doesn't turn out to be a nuisance, he thought. And I hope his master hasn't up and died in the storm or something like that, or I'll never be rid of him.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Narrink Akamu on March 7th, 2012, 4:46 am

"That's because I'm Nuit and Nuits don't require food.” The Kelvic stared at the creature who just claimed to be a "Nuit" this word wasn't part of Tasler's vocabulary, and the only action of mentioning it made the person more interesting to his eyes. The falcon jumped from his shoulder as he started walking to his bed, he flew around before looking for a place to stand and sleep, there was no time to explain, that required transforming back, and as the Nuit already said, he had no food.
Narrink Akamu
The newcomer

Character sheet

The Nuit, the Falcon and the Storm (Open)

Postby Anselm on March 8th, 2012, 2:53 pm

The morning sun peeked in through the front window and threw a bright rectangle of light on the floor in the middle of the room. It was accompanied by the songs of birds greeting Syna as she arose in the Eastern sky. Anselm awoke from his meditative state and sat up. He looked around for the falcon and found it perched on the mantle of the fireplace. It appeared to be asleep. Apparently it didn't care for the bed Anselm had made for it. Anselm quietly left the house.

There was surprisingly little damage in the immediate vicinity of Anselm's house. But more and more destruction became evident as he walked, cane in hand, toward the town's market district. Trees were uprooted. Roofs were blown off. Here and there entire houses had been reduced to rubble. Everywhere the citizens of the city were out surveying the damage to their homes and business establishments. Anselm eventually found his way to the marketplace and was pleased to see that many of the vendors had opened up their shops for business in spite of the carnage that lay around them. They were trying to carry on as though nothing was out of the ordinary, but Anselm could see the fear in their eyes. It was going to be a hard Spring for everyone. And he knew from experience that once the food ran out, things would get ugly.

The old Nuit found the clothier's shop and purchased an inexpensive pair of pants, a simple shirt, and a pair of cheap shoes. Next he found the butcher's shop and purchased a smoked ham, which he figured should keep for at least a few days. From one of the fruit and vegetable vendors he purchased a half dozen large red apples that were nearly at the end of their storage life and some kale. He picked up some day-old bread, and talked the proprietor into selling him an old waterskin for an exorbitant price. He filled it up with water from a well on the way back home. Anselm let himself in the front door with his purchases.

“Try these,” he said to the waiting falcon without preamble as he tossed the clothes on the bed. “I got the largest sizes I could find. I figured better too big than too small.”

He dumped the food on the table. “The ham's already cooked and smoked, so it'll be good for a few days. A few other odds and ends here should hold you for a couple days until get yourself sorted out.”

He sat down heavily on his chair, leaned his cane against the table, and looked at the bird. “So, I'm Anselm." He waved his hand in the air as if to dismiss the falcon. "I have a few questions, if I may. Three to be exact: Who are you? Where is your bond mate? And what do I have to do to get you out of my house?”

OOC :
I changed title to reflect the fact that the story is only incidentally related to the storm.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Nuit and the Falcon (Open)

Postby Narrink Akamu on March 10th, 2012, 5:26 am

Tasler woke up slowly, noticing at first that the storm ceased, but then he realized the old man left the home alone with him, it was strange to leave someone in your home without knowing a thing about him. But the Kelvic wasn't willing to harm someone, he was just wandering finding some shelter and eventually, finding someone willing to take care of him while he could take care of him at any cost.

The kelvic flew around trying to see through one of the windows, but it was impossible to see through them. He even tried to open the door by himself on that form, but it was useless, until he though he finally did it, it was Anselm returning, scaring the bird away to the fireplace.

He noticed Anselm brought some things with him, leaving some clothes on the bed and food on the table. He jumped off his place to see the clothes closely with doubts. He was feeling comfortable as he was, but then the Nuit walked in and sat on the chair

"I have a few questions, if I may. Three to be exact: Who are you? Where is your bond mate? And what do I have to do to get you out of my house?”

The Kelvic had no other possibility but to answer after transforming. His body slowly changed to a rather muscular man, 5'5 tall looked the old man, not feeling any shame of his nudity he grabbed the clothes the Nuit left on the bed. "Sorry I bothered you yesterday, as you may guess I left everything outside the city" He said as he finished getting dressed, feeling totally awkward with clothes that didn't fit him. He turned around again looking to the old man and scratched his head as he felt somewhat nervous now that he showed himself differently. He grabbed one of the apples as he started talking "I'm Tasler" He said as he bit the apple and took some time remembering the questions

Bond mate? I don't have one, and why do you want me out already?
Narrink Akamu
The newcomer

Character sheet

Postby Anselm on March 10th, 2012, 7:17 pm

He certainly is short, was Anselm's first thought. He surveyed his guest's human form. Chin-curtain beard. A bit heavy-set. Muscular. Looks like he could handle himself in a brawl. Eyes retain the falcon's intensity. The clothes Anselm had picked up for him were almost comically too big. Presumably he had a cache somewhere nearby with clothes more appropriate for his physique. Speaking of physique, Anselm thought to himself. I wouldn't mind having that body. Anselm's current body had been old when he obtained it and had deteriorated significantly since then. He would have to replace it sometime in the next year or so. I'll have to keep an eye on this one in case his body becomes available.

“Tasler.” The old Nuit wrapped his withered black tongue around the name as if trying to figure out what it tasted like. Then he said in a slow, measured pace, “As I said before, you can stay here until you get yourself sorted out.” He waved his hand dismissively. “However, I am a very private person and I place a high value on my solitude, so I hope it will not take you long to get things sorted out and find another place to stay.”

He glanced toward the food on the table. “All of that's for you. Nuit's don't eat.” He pulled the waterskin out from under his cloak and deposited it on the table. “I got you some water too.”

He said nothing for a few minutes while Tasler consumed the apple he had in his hand. Then he said, “No bond-mate, eh? Ever had one?”

“No,” Tasler replied.

“I see,” Anselm said quietly. He thought to himself, Crap! I hope he doesn't decide to attach himself to me. That's ALL I need – a Kelvic underfoot.

“If I may offer a suggestion," Anselm continued slowly after a thoughtful pause, continuing to stare unblinking at the Kelvic. "I believe the best course of action would be for the two of us to locate your cache and retrieve your personal belongings.” He planted the very slightest of suggestions in Tasler's mind that he agreed with Anselm. “Finish eating and we can go get your stuff. Then you can decide what you want to do next. Is that an acceptable plan?”

Anselm actually thought it would make more sense for Tasler to simply fly to his cache, switch back to human form and walk back to town. But wandering around alone in the mountains was a dangerous venture in the best of times. And this was not the best of times. He knew from experience that the Djed storm would have agitated wild animals and possibly even created some new ones. So there was the very real chance that Tasler would get himself killed. And in that case, Anselm wanted to be there because it would be a shame to let a perfectly good corpse go to waste.

OOC :
In a previous thread I describe a place not too far from town that might work for the location of your cache. Feel free to use it. Or make up your own. In either case, feel free and take Anselm and yourself to your cache in your next post. Unless you have something else you'd like to do with the story first. Collaborative story-telling means that either one of us can direct the story wherever they want.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Narrink Akamu on March 11th, 2012, 10:22 pm

The Kelvic looked at the old man, the idea of recovering his belonging was important, but he wasn't sure if he should come with him, he looked weak to go outside the city specially if none of them was sure what they could find outside.
"Are you sure you wanna come with me? you don't look in a good shape to go outside the city"
He said as he gave another bite to the apple.
Narrink Akamu
The newcomer

Character sheet

Next