[A&D] Spring Festival: Uphis’s Tournament

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Liar on March 12th, 2012, 2:37 am

[Announcements and Discussion]
Spring Festival: Uphis’s Tournament

Overview
In honor of the Alvina of Sharp Blades (and in defiance of the storm that ravaged the city), a fighting tournament will be held for the whole of Nyka. Citizens and strangers alike are invited to join and try their strength against each other, within the many walls of the Mother City’s own Warfields. Participants will be paired at random and made to fight until one pins the other, but the true winner of the fight may not always be the one left standing.

The reward is a choice: 100 golden Laats or your own weapon blessed by Uphis.

Some makeshift stands have been erected for the populace to watch, beams of fresh wood for sitting and standing. A few lucky ones may sit on the outer wall of the Warfields, while monks can watch from the height of the wall that overlooks the north part of the city. These stands stretch over the length of the maze’s northernmost side, so that those at the top may be able to see four simultaneous fights happening in separate parts of the maze. (Every thread is open to an audience, who may participate by watching and obeying IC rules.)

Contestants
After a long morning of preliminary fights, eight finalists were selected. They have been paired randomly, as follows:

Kassan v. Alderache
Etrius v. Daeva Timandre
Jett v. Lucas Arias
Malavos v. Damian

Dice Rolls :
(22:06:18) Liar: 1 Etrius. 2 Kassan. 3 Alderache. 4 Daeva. 5 Malavos. 6 Jett. 7 Damian. 8 Lucas.
(22:06:25) ChatBot: Liar rolls 2d8 and gets 3,2.
(22:06:46) Liar: 1 Etrius. 2 Daeva. 3 Malavos. 4 Jett. 5 Damian. 6 Lucas.
(22:06:52) ChatBot: Liar rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2.
(22:07:14) Liar: 1 Malavos. 2 Jett. 3 Damian. 4 Lucas.
(22:07:19) ChatBot: Liar rolls 2d4 and gets 4,2.

Judging
Four anonymous judges from across the site have been selected to read your first ten posts and grade them on a scale of 1 to 5. Your score will the added scores of all four judges and will be a number out of 100. You will be graded on the following criteria, so keep them in mind as you write.

adherence to rules and points
grammar and punctuation
diction and style
creativity, novelty, and strategy
action pacing

OOC Rules
1. Obey site rules. Play to your points. Don’t godmod(e).
2. Do not start your tournament thread until March 15. Talk to your opponent about who will start it. The post should be marked [Spring Tournament, Round 1] and cannot be closed to anyone.
3. Any audience member may participate via heckling, advice, etc. But keep in mind that each fight in a single round occurs at the same time, and that you must obey IC rules.
4. You have one month (until April 15) to write a 10-post thread at 5 posts each. If a thread has less than 10 posts at the end of the one-month period, the last player to post will receive no penalty. The player who failed to post will lose one point for every post they were unable to write.
5. Your fight may continue after 10 posts, but only the first 10 posts will be judged. All posts will be graded as they are submitted to Liar’s office.
6. PM Liar if you require moderation of the fight. Otherwise you will be trusted to self-moderate.

IC Rules
1. Food will be given sparingly. Throwing it is a crime against Skerr.
2. Do not enter a fight that is not yours. This is a disgrace to Uphis’s name.
3. Betting is encouraged, but not officially regulated.
4. Killing is discouraged, but not explicitly forbidden.

Scores and updates will be posted here. Feel free to discuss and ask questions below. Remember, you must wait to begin your threads until March 15.
Liar
This statement is false.

Words: 175519
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Liar on April 16th, 2012, 3:31 pm

The first round of the tournament is over. The results will be posted in the following days. :)
Liar
This statement is false.

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Liar on April 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Results and Information

The following are the judges' scores for the first round of tournament posts. Seeing as Alderache and Daeva were forced to withdraw, only two matches were judged. The results are below.

Jett
Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Judge 4Total
Adherence to Rules and Points 2 5 5 5 17
Grammar and Punctuation 5 5 3 4 17
Diction and Style 4 4 3 2 13
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 3 4 3 4 14
Action Pacing 4 5 3 2 14
Total Score 18231717 75

Comments :
Judge 1
At 15 points Jett is a novice. The way he summoned rocks is too quick and too 'automatic' for a novice to be able to handle. Note that at that level he would have a sizeable casting time. Also, describing the effect would be nice, rather than just summoning rocks. Extract the res, transmute the res, or manipulate it. Remember that reimancy is the control of res rather than the element, as you lose control of your spells once it is fully trasmuted.
Good use of adjectives. Varied use of length in sentences to portray emotions or emphasis. However, it personally feels slightly clunky to me, so perhaps more use of transitional words could be used to smoothen the flow of your words.
Creative use of magic. Unrealistic magic use has already been penalized, so I will consider the pure creative and strategic use of it. Good use of environment, though more can be done, given the utility of earth reimancy. How about trapping Lucas' feet? Or even summoning little protrusions from the ground to trip him as he rushes you?
Awarded for multiple uses of magic to switch up the pace.

Judge 2
(Shared with Lucas Arias) Based on 8 of 9 posts. Very enjoyable read.

Judge 3
None.

Judge 4
You took your hits, you played your reimancy well in some ways and not so well in others. The fact that it drained him so quickly was good, but the way you used it wasn't. On the other hand I'm sure Uphis would have approved of your brute force tactic with the rock spire. You didn't quite bring enough energy to the fight though and I felt your style was awkward at times. Plus, you knackered yourself out just before a fight!

Lucas (Winner)
Adherence to Rules and Points 5 5 5 5 20
Grammar and Punctuation 4 4 4 4 16
Diction and Style 3 4 3 3 13
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 3 4 3 4 14
Action Pacing 3 5 3 3 14
Total Score 18211819 76

Comments :
Judge 1
Minor punctuation and grammar problems, but still readable.
Conversational style makes for easy reading, though sometimes the wording is a little awkward.
Interesting use of trash talking, which is a plus point. However, every other move is mostly reactionary.
Pacing average.

Judge 2
(Shared with Jett) Based on 8 of 9 posts. Very enjoyable read. I feel bad for docking a point in grammar/punctuation when someone’s first language isn’t English, but the rules are the rules. You force my hand, Liar.

Judge 3
None.

Judge 4
The mocking entrace was nicely played and the fact that you tried to take advantage of that nice helmet's blindspot after your distraction actually worked was good. My only gripe with your side of the fight was that after you raised the tempo you dropped it almost straight away.

Damian (Winner-- Retired)
Adherence to Rules and Points 5 4 4 3 16
Grammar and Punctuation 4 2 3 4 13
Diction and Style 3 3 3 2 11
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 5 4 3 5 17
Action Pacing 4 2 2 4 12
Total Score 21151518 69

Comments :
Judge 1
Minor issues with spelling.
Diction acceptable, if but slightly unwieldy.
I love the way you play the kelvic. It makes it enjoyable and his actions are unpredictable. The rush for the sword as if it was a stick is creative while the behaviour, actions and thoughts in general are novel. I did not consider strategy, for Damian is a dog after all.
Pacing good. The action flows.

Judge 2
(Shared with Malavos) Based on 8 of 9 posts. There were a lot of run-ons and tense confusion between these two. I liked that Damian stuck to his canine persona. Damian snagged Malavos’ sword with the assumption that he got it without really having the skills to back it up, so he lost an ‘adherence to pvp rules’ point for that.

Judge 3
Not really ‘Godmoding’ but I found that his last post where he landed a bite on Malavos’ arm sounded a bit too set in stone instead of a ‘you have a chance to dodge this.’

Judge 4
I have to say this straight away, you're lucky we're only judging the first four posts. Your fifth post is powerplaying, pure and simple and I'd have knocked a whole mess of points off of you for that. As for the posts before that though? I don't think you quite played your points fairly in one post given the disparity in your skill levels with unarmed combat but the fact that the entire fight was one big game, a big game that also deprived your opponent of his weapon makes up for that scoring wise.

Malavos
Adherence to Rules and Points 4 5 5 5 19
Grammar and Punctuation 3 2 2 3 10
Diction and Style 3 3 2 1 9
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 2 2 3 4 11
Action Pacing 4 4 3 4 15
Total Score 16161517 64

Comments :
Judge 1
Minor issue with the last sentence of the 4th post. I am guilty of it myself in sparring or training threads, but in competitive PvP tournaments like this one, it is best not to use 'will' or 'would'. You can attack, state your rationale, your thoughts, etc. Let your opponent respond, and then follow-up.
It's not game breaking, but I have to point this out. Minor issues with punctuation, but major issues with grammar. Please use past tense. If you use present tense consistently I can still be lenient, but a mixture of the two is just bad.
Diction acceptable, if but slightly unwieldy.
Very predictable. Rushing forward, punching, etc. Try to use the environment, or perhaps resort to unorthodox tricks. If your character is formally trained, or its his character to go practise standard honor-bound dueling rules, make your attacks unpredictable. Explain your rationale for the attacks, such as the angles, the direction, the speed, etc.
Pacing good. The action flows.

Judge 2
(Shared with Damian) Based on 8 of 9 posts. There were a lot of run-ons and tense confusion between these two.

Judge 3
Might just be me, but I felt like some of the sentences had two ideas, but nothing there to separate them. May have just been me in this part, but I do feel like some sentences were missing either a comma or could have been made into their own sentence.

Judge 4
Have to say your grammar let you down a bit here, and your style felt a bit awkward at times. However, it was nice to see you bringing out the animal side at the start of the bout and I really liked the confusion at just what Damian was doing.

The second round of posting starts today, April 26. You will be expected to write an 8-post thread, at 4 posts each, before May 26. The contestants have been paired as follows:

Kassan v. Malavos
Etrius v. Lucas

Dice Rolls :
(12:15:41) Liar: 1 Etrius 2 Kassan 3 Lucas 4 Damian
(12:15:59) ChatBot: Liar rolls 2d4 and gets 2,4.

All of the rules listed above apply. Any resident of Nyka is welcome to join the thread and watch the tournament, if they abide by the IC rules.

IN ADDITION to the setting of the Warfields, the afternoon has treated our contestants with a darkening sky. By the time the second round of finalists take their places, rain is falling. (You are encouraged to use the wet terrain in your thread, but you will not be penalized for failing to do so.)
Liar
This statement is false.

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Liar on May 27th, 2012, 8:25 pm

The Second Round of the tournament is over. The Results of Judging will be posted as soon as possible.
Liar
This statement is false.

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Liar on July 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Results and Information

Sorry for the wait! The following are the judges' scores for the second round of tournament posts. None offered comments, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me. The results are below.

Kassan (Winner)
Grammar and Punctuation 3 5 5 0 13
Diction and Style 4 3 4 2 13
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 4 3 4 1 12
Action Pacing 4 2 3 2 11
Total Score 20182110 69

Malavos
Grammar and Punctuation 3 4 3 0 10
Diction and Style 4 2 2 1 9
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 4 3 3 1 11
Action Pacing 4 2 3 2 11
Total Score 2016169 61

Lucas Arias (Winner)
Adherence to Rules and Points 5 5 5 4 19
Grammar and Punctuation 4 5 3 0 12
Diction and Style 4 3 3 2 12
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 5 4 5 3 17
Action Pacing 4 4 4 2 14
Total Score 22212011 74

Etrius
Adherence to Rules and Points 5 5 5 3 18
Grammar and Punctuation 3 5 3 0 11
Diction and Style 4 3 3 2 12
Creativity, Novelty, and Strategy 3 4 4 2 13
Action Pacing 3 3 2 2 10
Total Score 1820179 64

The final round of posting between Kassan and Lucas Arias will start starts today, July 15, in this thread. They will be expected to write an 8-post thread, at 4 posts each.

All of the rules listed above apply. Any resident of Nyka is welcome to join the thread and watch the tournament, if they abide by the IC rules.

If you would like an experience award for your tournament threads, please turn them into my office.
Liar
This statement is false.

Office
Scrapbook