[Flashback - Pua, Siiri, Vhana] Bleak Seasons

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Postby Siiri on April 14th, 2010, 3:08 pm

“A Kelvic,” Siiri repeated. “Interesting.”

She knew about the race of shapeshifters of course, though she'd never been so close to one before now. None of the other warriors of her tribe had ever been bonded to one. At least, none that she knew of. She also knew of their reputation: companions favored by some warriors compared to the usual beasts gifted to the Myrians by Caiyha and Navre. Considering the disposition of this one, she must be a proud beast in her animal form. Siiri nodded at the girl, though her eyes never left her. The gesture might not be enough to signify equality between them but it was a sign of respect nonetheless, the most that she could reasonably offer the other.

Vhana's reply earned her an arched eyebrow from Siiri. “Your words speak of seeking answers but you move as if you do not even know the question. You look lost.” She gesture around her, at the people milling about in the market grounds. “Look around you. You are surrounded by warriors. Hunters. Killers. What has led you here?”

She paused in her monologue to peer up at the sky, her frown knotting her brow once more. “This light fall does nothing but cause the heat to seep out of the ground. Makutsi does tease us before bringing in the torrents.

“Come, walk with us. I do not think you will find your answers in the muddy grounds of the marketplace. You've gotten past the gate guards without a scratch, you need not worry about us pulling a blade on you.”
Siiri's tone was light when she voiced the last part but she was not sure if Vhana knew enough about Myrian culture to perceive it as a light jest and not some sort of underhanded threat. She did not worry much however; the skeletons of outsiders displayed at the gates should be enough to tell visitors of what to expect from the people residing within. That was not important. What was important was whatever this lost Kelvic hoped to find in Myri's city.

Siiri had to admit to herself that the girl had piqued her interest. If Vhana found her answers without prying for Myrian secrets, then well and good. If not, well, there's no need to worry about that, really. They were in Taloba. What could go wrong?
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Pua on April 18th, 2010, 3:56 pm

So that was how she had wiggled past the gate guards then. Pua did have to admit she put on quite a good bluster. Pua was quite interested in whatever it was this lost little lamb was searching for. Despite the ever suspicious part of his brain that shouted at him that one does not forget what they are in search of, Pua believed the young kelvic’s words. Silently he pondered what could reside within Taloba that would provoke such an unusual quest. He couldn’t come up with anything.

He chuckled affably as Siiri bemoaned the weather. Pua preferred the rain; it masked his scent, his body heat, and his movements as he preformed his duties as a scout. Whenever he encountered a rare patch of sun while out in the jungle he felt terribly exposed. But this warrioress didn’t need, and probably didn’t want, to hear his philosophy, so instead he settled for a gentle ribbing. “Yes, but every day Makutsi teases you is one more day without the torrent, is it not?”

Pua smirked again at Siiri’s jest, though probably not for the reason Vhana would, if she even caught the humor. Half the warriors in Taloba could probably dispatch the Kelvic without drawing a weapon. He himself didn’t even use blades, unless you counted his razor, preferring to rely solely on his extensive collection of crossbows. He didn’t bother voicing this out loud of course, no need to unnecessarily intimidate the young lady. Instead he returned to the quandary of Vhana’s search. “You said you were bonded, so you are no longer?” Pua’s knowledge of the Kelvic bonding process amounted to ‘it happens’, but he was determind to plow on anyway. “Are you perhaps looking for your former bondmate, or her kin? If you might give us a name we may be able to lead you to her clan.”
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Vhana on April 20th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Vhana couldn't argue Siiri's observation. She wandered the market of Taloba as if she'd never seen it before, and hadn't the slightest as to where she was going- which was partially true. The Kelvic couldn't be certain of Taloba was even where she ought to be, but it was one of the few obvious places she knew to look. Black the Elder had confessed to being born and raised there, though Vhana never knew just how long he had resided in Myri's crown city before committing to the life of a hermit.

Sighing heavily, which did nothing to remove the locks of wet hair plastered to her face, Vhana gave a nod and allowed Siiri to lead the way. “The passing of my Bonded has brought me here,” she replied, quite bluntly. From beneath thick lashes, the female looked first to Pua, and then to Siiri. It was a simple answer, and the truth. However, Vhana had never thought to look for the Old Man's family, if any still lived. Perhaps Pua had a good point, and it would be wise for her to let them help her in this leg of her journey.

“I don't know what clan he might have belonged to,” she admitted, and beneath their combined gaze, Vhana felt foolish for it. “He was very old when I had been Bonded to him, and I very young.” She suspected Trake, and perhaps one other knew Black's true name, but that did not help her now. Suddenly, though, her eyes lit up and she turned to Pua as they all walked.

“Some of the guards at the gate,” she said quickly, excitedly. “They knew Black and could recognize him on sight. They might know more.” After all, they allowed him entry into Taloba on several occasions in her memory. A faint smile found its way to her lips, then, but Vhana offered no more in the way of speech.

She was content to let Siiri lead the way, and content to keep her more private thoughts to herself. Neither Pua nor the warrior-woman were people whom Vhana would relinquish her trust, and at this point in her life, Vhana wasn't even sure if she wanted to be Bonded to another again. She had been but a babe when the Old Man had accepted her, and what sort of choice was that? Vhana did not begrudge Black the Elder, or his memory, she just wasn't ready or willing to be an object that anybody could pluck.

Therein lied her true quest, she supposed. What did it mean to be Bonded, and did bondmates have to be earned, or did one just know? And, she wondered with a bit more venom, did to be Kelvic mean to acquiesce to the whims of another simply because it was impossible to disobey? Vhana knew in her heart there had to be more to her life than that. Her existence had to amount to more than a handful of years as a dutiful servant or slave
Vhana
Horizon Breaker

Words: 15689
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2010, 5:06 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Siiri on April 22nd, 2010, 12:00 am

Siiri watched the blond girl from the corner of her eyes, observing her every move. As a Kelvic, she's had less time to absorb everything around her, learn the ways of the world. For all the confidence the girl exuded, the Myrian detected the slightest trace of uncertainty. It hinted at her honesty at least. She was indeed lost. She didn't even know what she was looking for in this city of savages.

As soon as she heard Vhana mention the gate guards, Siiri immediately changed direction to head the way the girl had come from. If she remembered correctly, Bakh'ku would be among those on active duty today. If this Black person Vhana used to be bonded with was as old as she said then the veteran scout should know of him. Bakh'ku was one of the oldest people Siiri knew who still actively served the army. She imagined Pua would know the man as well if he was one of the bald Myrian's trainers.

Siiri did not know what the Kelvic hoped to find in discovering her former bondmate's identity. Family relations, perhaps? Was she looking to find some sort of rapport with the old one's relatives and tribemates, perhaps as foundation for the establishment of a new bond in the future? As far as she could tell from her limited knowledge on Kelvics, the bond was some sort of need for the race of shapeshifters as much as breathing and eating were. Was that the reason for the girl’s coming to the city?

And what of this eccentric scout, Pua? What was his interest in the Kelvic? Was he one of the relations of this Black perhaps? Or was he just attracted to the shapely lass with the golden locks? Siiri supposed she would find out eventually.

Before the day’s end, she hoped, her mind drifting to other things. I still have to remember what I needed in the market…

On Bakh'kuJust reusing some of the NPCs I've created in previous threads. Bakh'ku was the one who helped arrange Siiri's first hunt in First Blood. He was mentioned at the very end of that thread.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Pua on April 23rd, 2010, 2:43 am

Pua was caught off guard by Siiri’s sudden change of direction, and carried on a step or two before he was able to correct his course. He had to lengthen his stride a bit to catch up. After a moment, he realized the three of them were heading for the nearest gate. At first Pua feared that the warrioress intended to expel the young kelvic. Worried that his opportunity to snoop into the kelvic deyhan’s affairs was slipping away he opened his mouth to protest. He must have looked quite foolish with his mouth half open as Vhana’s comment about the guards sank in and Pua realized it was them, and not the actual gate, that was Siiri’s final destination. Luckily, Pua’s station at the back of the three person procession probably prevented his lapse from being noticed.

Pua’s gaze flicked around them as he pondered the the various reason and intentions of the other two. Siiri was most likely just doing her duty as a Myrian to protect Taloba from deyhan interlopers, the same as he himself had originally been, though now he was a bit curious of this Black fellow. Pua had never heard any mention of him or someone like him, out in the jungles on any of his scout briefings. Vhana on the other hand, seemed to be a perplexing jumble of contradictions. Pua was interested in see who the real Vhana hidden behind the mask of bravado was.
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Siiri on June 29th, 2010, 1:57 am

Siiri led their small party to the gates, giving Bakh’ku a warm greeting once they reached it. She still remembered training sessions she had with the man whenever her aunt was away on patrol. The veteran scout was much older now, the wrinkles on his face much more evident, but it did not diminish the wide smile that always came easy to his face. She briefly explained the Vhana’s need to find any clues about the man called Black, and hearing that Bakh’ku was familiar with the name, asked if he could assist the girl in her search.

“I’d go myself, but I’ve a package to pick up for Baba,” Siiri grumbled good-naturedly. Everyone knew her affection for the eccentric carver. “Old man’s getting on in years.

“I’ll leave the girl in your care, I’ll have someone from the barracks replace your post here,”
she concluded. Turning to Pua, she asked, “You hanging around still? I’m off to the markets before heading to the barracks if you want company.”

OOCI think it’s about time we wrap this thread up.
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous