Bastard Squire (Flashback Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Izlude on March 23rd, 2012, 3:05 am

Spring, 503 A.V.

He scorned himself wordlessly and glued his sultry eyes to his leather boots, remaining alert to the beck and call of his Lord, Ser William Manser who quietly wrote down a list on a piece of parchment paper. He didn’t like the guy; he was snobbish, condescending and downright rude. But he was a Knight, a real Knight and he had vouched to take him under his wing as his Squire so he put up with his mockeries and pompous ways but still found himself glaring at him behind his back. Even now, he was sneering at him.

“Izlude, my good boy!” The sudden outcry of Ser William’s voice pierced through the Squire’s thought induced bubble, causing him to jump alertly, straighten his posture and raise his chin. A smug smile was present on Ser William’s face and his daunting blue eyes seemed to pass right through Izlude. “This list is your chores for the day. But don’t fret, they will be much easier if you don’t think of them as chores. Think of them as payment for becoming a Knight one day!” Overly loud, those were the two words Izlude could even think of as his Lord spoke.

“Umm. Yes my Lord.” A sigh of disappointment left his nostrils. His hatred for chores was only surpassed by his dislike of Ser William’s dependency on him. For the rest of the day, Izlude would be off, fetching laundry, preparing meals for William and running senseless errands, if he was lucky, a bit of training would be on the paper list. Reluctantly he reached down, took the folded piece of paper and put it in his pocket. Ser William was satisfied.

“Leave me now, I have important business to attend to.” Quiet and with his back turned to Izlude, Ser William forgot all about him in an instant and went back to work.

“My lord.” As expected, he bowed to William, turned to the door and left. Grumbling once outside William’s chambers and saturated with annoyance, he finally took to unrolling the piece of parchment as he walked with heavy footsteps. He read each point quietly beneath his breath.

-Retrieve my laundry. “I knew it… Why can’t he do that himself?"

-Draw me a bath. “Again…? He just took one earlier..."

-Fetch me dinner. “Noted.”

-Go to the courtyard and practice with Squire Delwin and Squire Devereux. I will be out shortly.

The last one was favorable enough atleast to bring a smile to his face.
Izlude
Have Heart

Words: 14524
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2012, 3:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izlude on March 23rd, 2012, 5:12 pm

With eyebrows upturned and a face telling of aggravation, Izlude lumbered along the snaking hallways of Stormhold Castle, carrying a giant heap of freshly cleaned laundry. It was something he particular loathed to do and he knew that everyone who looked upon him knew he was a Squire. In his head, he visualized walking through this exact hallway on a different day, in a different time. Instead of sun-dried clothing, he had a sword and a suit of armor that clanked with each footfall, people looked towards him with respect.

Well there’s a fine Knight. They’d think in their head as they marveled over his glorious armor.

That day though, was distant and his dream was replaced by Ser William’s door, a site he’d grown accustomed to. “My Lord, I have your laundry, clean and ready.” Fumbling, he tried to bow with the heavy pile of clothing resting on his forearms. William turned in his chair and nodded.

“Good my boy! You’ve done well for the day.” Izlude discreetly rolled his eyes. “You’ve fed me, fetched my clothing and drew me a bath. Now we can begin what you want to do. Come, follow me!” Ever cheerful as always, Ser William hopped up from his seat and in a single motion began to steadfastly walk to what would be the training grounds. Izlude set his laundry down on top of his bed and tried to keep up.

"Today Izlude, you will learn something. None of that drabble that you learn in books and your studies, but something applied.” Ser William walked with big strides, never turning to look towards his Squire, something he tended to do. “You’ll see what I mean.”

"Applied Sir? Is it swordplay or…Perhaps..” He spoke in excitement, turning around corners as he followed before emerging into a clearing where many Squires and Pages went about their own business with their Knights. "No, no Izlude, not today. I found this in your quarters though while you were fetching me a bath.”

Izlude raised a brow. “Huh, found what Sir?” Smirking, Ser William finally slowed his pace and walked over to a small seat beneath a shaded awning of stone. “This.” Wrapped in cloth as always, Izlude recognized the shape of the large crossbow his brother gave to him during his terrible departure night. He said nothing, stared at it and turned to look up at Ser William who towered above him.

“You have been searching my quarters then William?” There was a bite in his voice, and obvious tone of anger. Ser William promptly smacked him aside his head.

“My Lord. Not William, Izlude. Show respect.” Sneering, he grit his teeth and forced the words from his lips. “My Lord… Forgive me. That was my father’s crossbow.” Ser William seemed troubled and kindly placed his hand on Izlude’s shoulder, who cringed in reproach.

“Your father’s crossbow? Izlude it is a good weapon, strong and well crafted. Is it better to overcome your past than have a constant reminder of it collecting dust in your drawers. Besides..” Reaching down, Ser William unclothed the bow, picked it up with one hand and held it up for Izlude to see. “You’re going to be a Knight one day. This my boy, is a weapon worthy to be a Knight’s. Today, you will learn to fire it and…”

Izlude interrupted “But I already know. ..” And Ser William interrupted right back.

“From horseback Izlude. You will learn to fire it from horseback and I will hear nothing else about it.”
Izlude
Have Heart

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izlude on March 23rd, 2012, 6:49 pm

At this particular moment Izlude hated Ser William. It was audacious to the young boy that someone, Knight or not, would have the gall to search through his most personal belongings; not only that, but he had touched something sacred to him, the last memory of his brother and family. He didn’t want to use it; he wanted to keep it locked away in his room for eternity. Ser William meant well and he knew that but it caused a personal dilemma to rage war in his head.

Pick it up, load it and shoot it. That’s all you need to do. Father isn’t around anymore and neither is Lars. Act like a Knight, not a sniffling brat.

The words echoed in his head and swallowing whatever disdain he had for using the bow, he nodded his head. “Okay my Lord. Where do we begin?” Ser William seemed apprehensively awaiting Izlude’s response and a sense of relief was noted in the air. Ser William smiled.

“Well first Izlude, take the bow and follow me to the stables. We’re going to get you situated on a horse. You’ve ridden before, haven’t you boy?” William lowered his hand as if presenting the crossbow to his Squire and trying to keep his hands from shaking, Izlude coiled his fingers around the butt of the weapon, firmly holding it in his grasp. He hadn’t touched the weapon in so long…

“Come then.” Commanding, Ser William walked with a slower pace this time and boldly placed his hand on Izlude’s shoulder as he walked. “Look at all these Squires’s Izlude. One day, they will be your brothers and sisters. They are working hard. Just. Like. You.” He patted Izlude’s arms as they walked to the stables, speaking through a cacophony of clashing iron, Squire’s yelling and orders being spat by their Knights. It dwindled though as they reached the stables, and a calmness overtook the environment.

“Here’s a good horse for a young aspiring Knight.” Ser William ran his fingertips over the mane of a brown stallion, already suited and ready to ride with a worn leather saddle strapped to its back. Izlude would eye the beast, calmly place his hands on her back and push climb atop her, situating himself upon the saddle.

“What’s her name?” He petted her mane. Ser William smiled.

“Her name is Lucky. Kind of ironic though…”

“Why’s that my Lord?”

“Well, she’s old with weak legs. A long time ago, an animal got to her, bit her right in her rear left leg... It took years to recover fully from that bite. But that’s a story for another time young Squire! I’ll lead you along.”
Gripping the reigns, Ser William walked beside Izlude and the horse, directing her towards the training in an offward clearing, stopping her in front of a series of straw weaved targets fastened to wooden posts.

“Shoot them.” A prompt command that caught Izlude off guard.

“Sir, I have no bolts to fire.”

“Check the satchel on the horse, I’ve left a few in there. Don’t move though, stay right there in that one spot and shoot them from atop the horse.” Izlude’s eyes squinted until they were slits, narrowing inwards on the targets as he loaded the Crossbow and cocked the lever back.. They were far away.

“Well, go ahead boy! Don’t take all day now.” Ser William’s voice seemed ethereal and far away as he concentrated on the targets, focusing so much that he swore he could see every tiny weave of hay on their surface. Raising the Crossbow and leveling it, he closed one eye, aimed as carefully as he could and pushed back on the trigger.

“You missed, completely.”
Snapping out of whatever concentrated trance he was in, Izlude strained to see where his bolt had landed. It was nowhere to be found but was most likely sticking in the mud 70 feet away. Ser William could sense his Squire’s embarrassment. “Don’t be nervous boy, just take a deep breath and try again.”
Izlude
Have Heart

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izlude on March 24th, 2012, 4:57 am

There was a moment of awkward silence while Izlude raised the butt of the Crossbow and aligned his sights with the target. He couldn’t keep his arms from shaking no matter how hard he tried. It was if they were filled with jelly. In a single moment of frustration, he let his limbs fall slack at his side and with an exasperated sigh turned to Ser William.

“I can’t help it Ser. I’m nervous.” Izlude furrowed his brow and shook his head, trying to forage a reason from a tapestry of confusion. His forehead was hot with embarrassment; he didn’t like Ser William sometimes, but still, he wanted to impress him as a potential Knight. “It’s as if the bow is too heavy.” Ser William smiled and uncrossed his arms and flicked a strand of blonde hair away from his eyes.

“It’s because you’re tense my boy. Try to relax; the bow isn’t as heavy as you think. You see, when you tense your muscles, you have less control of them. The bow may be a tad bit heavy, but don’t overexert yourself Izlude. When your muscles learn to simply lift the bow as an extension of your own hand, you’ll find that your shot will be much more accurate.” As if on cue, he crossed his arms once more. "Try again and trust yourself.”

Izlude was still doubtful. Sure to Ser William, a Knight of many years, this seemed like such an easy task. But to him, it was quite the opposite, especially with his Lord watching. He didn’t tell him, but it wasn’t because his muscles were tight or his aim was terrible, it was because Ser William was standing there – analyzing, watching and noting. Maybe if he forced himself to believe that it made no difference who watched, he’d have a better chance. Already he was ordering himself mentally.

Don’t embarrass yourself Izlude. Are you going to be a Knight? Do you think in battle, you can afford this type of idiocy? Shoot the target. Shoot the damn target!

Raising the bow once more, he grit his alabaster teeth together and pushed out all trespassing distractions. Timed seemed to slow as his finger pressed backwards on the weapons trigger and with a thud, the bolt fired out, soaring through the air and sinking into the straw target. It was no bullseye, but it was without a doubt a positive step in the right direction.

“Good job lad." Ser William smiled with a toothy grin. "Now try to do that while the horse is moving.”

It gets more difficult every day.
Izlude
Have Heart

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Izlude on March 30th, 2012, 6:38 am

“Shoot while riding Ser?” Izlude spoke with an apparent tone of apprehension and a nervous wandering glint in his eye. Riding a horse was something he was accustomed to somewhat but never had he let go of the reigns. Doubt though was the mother of failure, perhaps with a little conviction in his own abilities; he’d be able to succeed. Readying himself, he embraced the horse’s sides with the squeeze of his legs and fixed the crossbow with another bolt before cocking back the lever, loading it.

“Yes Izlude, it is an important thing to learn. A trained rider gains a series of advantages over ground infantry while attacking on a horse. Arbalists..Lancers, Archers. All of them are able to strike from a distance and on horseback, their mobility is increased.”

Silent, Izlude nodded, poising a question to sate his restive demeanor. “Ser..So when riding upon the horse, how am I to stay on while carrying such a weighted object?” Almost depicting shame, his young eyes lifted to meet Ser William’s.

“While riding, lower your speed and embrace the beast with your legs tightly. Lean back to shift your weight and balanced yourself with the weapon and fire.” Ser William cleared his throat. “I know it sounds difficult lad, but if you remember just these simple things, it will be a cakewalk in no time. Now...It’s getting late, let’s begin before nightfall.”

“Yes my lord.”

With the kick of his feet the horse jerked forward, its heavy hooves beating with each gallant stride, matching the pace of the Squire’s heart. He could feel the wind in his hair, a cool refreshing breeze that kissed his skin and stole heat away from his brow as he picked up speed. Riding straight forward, Ser William and his series of targets dwindled in size with each passing hoof-step, he halted the beast and then turned the reigns, the horse facing the direction from whence he came.

“Here goes nothing.” A deep breath was inhaled, ivory teeth clasped together and with the kick of his heels, the horse began to gallop once more until he found himself soaring through the air. Nearing the targets, he mentally noted to squeeze his legs against the horse’s sides, fortifying his position on its back and took aim while the animal traveled.

He leaned back for good measure and attempted to align his eyes with the crossbows iron-sight, taking aim at the center of the straw target and firing.

Thud.

The bolt rocketed out and in an instant struck the crimson painted center of the target. For a moment, he had no idea what had happened but soon after he found himself smiling and to his pleasure, Ser William was smiling as well, yelling from a distance.

“Good work boy! You may make a fine Knight afterall. Come now, it’s time to rest. Nightfall is coming.”
Izlude
Have Heart

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Emblem on April 3rd, 2012, 7:43 am

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Izlude
Skills
    Weapon: Crossbow- 4 XP
    Riding- 3 XP
    Tactics- 1 XP
Lores
    Menial Tasks
    Self Doubt
    Shooting in Motion

Comments :
Ahhhh, good to see another knightly character! A nice short training thread here! I enjoyed it! I awarded a point in tactics because of your patron knights words about the advantages of being on horseback. Hopefully everything else makes sense, and if not, shoot me a PM!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office