Bound

[Palla&Seven]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Bound

Postby Victor Lark on March 24th, 2012, 7:09 am

76 Spring, 512

“Have you ever been to the Underground?”

He wove his fingers through hers, pale olive on freckled bronze, and their callouses chafed against each other. It occurred to him that he should squeeze her tighter, restrain her before she could escape, but he kept his hand light, his fingers gentle. She had a simple mind, and that tenacious optimism that bordered on foolishness; she would be easier to lead, if she was not upset. He smiled that peculiar smile, one that she had seen so many times and yet still seemed to trust.

Seven was out, had been when his bondmate had stumbled upon the black door’s fresh new sign. Victor had thought she seemed happy as she danced through the door, but her reluctance became apparent soon enough. Left to entertain the poor girl, the tavern’s lesser half had been threatening to teach her ale when he came up with another, better idea. “It’s like another world down there. So many things to learn. More than in this boring place. Here.”

With one hand still entwined in hers, he used the other to return the mug from where he had retrieved it. Then he produced from beneath the bar the vellum and pencil that was more often used for ledgers and tabs and astronomical sketches. He did not give her the chance to speak, instead drowned her in an endless stream of words. “Did he teach you how to write? We’ll leave him a note, so he knows you’re safe. Call it an adventure. And when you come back, we’ll show him all the things you learned. What do you say?”
Last edited by Victor Lark on June 7th, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victor Lark
How does that make you feel?

Words: 412831
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Bound

Postby Palla on March 24th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Victor’s fingers found Palla’s, at first causing her to jump. Immediately, an image of him wearing her face, her skin, her hair, came to mind. She tugged back half-heartedly, not entirely understanding the gesture, but slightly afraid of offending him. Though his tough was light and seemingly comforting, she leaned away from him, shifting her weight awkwardly. Could he steal her body this way? She couldn’t be sure.

As the man spoke, her lips parted to reply, but he spewed forward with a stream of commentary and questions. The Underground, as he called it, made her think of a giant anthill, where the little insects would delve to make and do things unknown to the world above. The two-leggeds were like the bugs, it seemed. Why did the humans have an Underground? What purpose did it serve? Curiosity caused every fiber of her being to tingle, the anxiety mounting. But most importantly, why did Victor want to show her this new place?

Palla watched as Victor returned the glass mug to its home and retrieved the other objects from under the bar. At his question of had she been taught to write, she shook her head. ”Uhm,” She shifted again nervously, looking to his fingers wound through hers. ”I don’t know. I guess tell him you’ve taken me on an adventure to teach me some things.” As the words left her mouth, she realized how nice it would be to return with newfound knowledge to make her bondmate proud. A little smile turned the corners of her mouth upwards. ”Yes, tell him you’ve taken me to teach me some things. I think he’ll be proud when we return, don’t you think? And tell him when to expect us back, so he doesn’t worry about us. Oh, and that I miss him.”
Palla
But I can learn.

Words: 38834
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Bound

Postby Victor Lark on March 26th, 2012, 1:17 am

Victor nodded, pulling up a frown of concentration as he held the pencil against the page, as if to consider the words before he wrote them. He had let go of Palla by then, no matter he disliked to be without the control it gave him, instead depending on her sense of comfort to keep her near. When she seemed finished reciting her message, he scrawled the words slowly and with as many embellishments as he was capable, so that it would seem like he was writing more than he was. Ultimately, the letter read,

On an adventure. – V &

Then he turned the graphite to his hand and, with some effort, scratched a P on a blushing palm. With a twist of his wrist, the page was facing her; he showed her the symbol on one hand as he pointed to the space beside the V with the other. “Write this, next to this. It means Palla, more or less, like this one means Victor. If you write it yourself, he’ll know it was you.” And that’s important, you see.

Before she could pick up the pencil, he was already stepping away from the bar, dancing toward the door. He tried to mimic the happy levity that Palla had displayed, before she realized that her bondmate was absent; maybe if she saw it again, she would remember it and become more amenable. He opened the door and the sun poured in, glowing white on strands of flailing dust, and he tried to make his smile more inviting than impatient. “I’ll teach you how to buy a pretty thing,” he lied, “Or maybe how to smile at boys. Which would you prefer?”
Last edited by Victor Lark on March 28th, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Bound

Postby Palla on March 27th, 2012, 4:34 am

Palla eyed the strange characters scrawled across the page. Bewildered, and somewhat impressed with the penmanship, she giggled. ”Ohh, wow, that is so interesting! I’ve never seen anything like it. I like it.” She looked to Victor before glancing at the P image. Grasping the pencil in her balled fist, she attempted to scratch the symbol on the page. Failing at first, for the pencil was upside down, she made a dismayed twittering noise deep in her throat. Inspecting the sharpened end, she turned it over and tried again. A very awkward backwards P sat next to the V. She looked back to Victor and muttered, ”Mine’s not nearly as nice as yours. Will he still know it was me?”

Palla joined her mentor at the door, following his prancing in her own joyful, signature manner. His smile brought to her face her very own as she looked up at him. ”A pretty thing? Like the clothes Seven bought me in the market? He likes when I wear dresses. He likes when I wear clothes. He said so himself. I like when he likes things about me.” She grasped at the dusty-orange cotton of her dress. The material rose mid-shin before she dropped it back down to her feet. ”What about smiling at boys? Why do I need to smile at them, or know how? Is it important?”
Palla
But I can learn.

Character sheet

Bound

Postby Victor Lark on March 30th, 2012, 5:28 pm

“Of course he’ll know it’s you,” Victor reassured her. “You’ve got a signature all your own.” Stupid and sloppy, he thought, as he took her hand again. The door locked behind them, and Victor led Palla into the street. His pace was brisk, treading lightly between his haste and his obligation to her compliance. He met her eyes sometimes, and gave her a smile when he did, but mostly he perused the city, searching for the right door. There was one he had memorized by heart, but there were others too. Finding the door to the Underground was as much intuition as it was knowledge; it required reading the unreadable illusions, and answering to instinct.

As they walked, he explained, “When you smile the right way, sometimes people give you things. Sometimes clothes, sometimes favors. That’s how it works. You must have smiled right at Seven, at least!” He laughed and squeezed her hand. “But he’s not the only man in the world, you know. You can get lots of things from other people. You would learn so much if you would only broaden your perspective, you know?”

By the time he found it, the sky had begun to rain—not water, but sunflower seeds, which crunched beneath his shoes and bounced from his head. When he stopped it was sudden, and his abrupt turn sent a puddle of them flying, cackling on the stone street. They faced an alley without a door, only tall yellow-green walls and a shadow at the end. Further examination showed that the shadow was a hole, sucking in the seeds like a hungry beast. “Look,” he said, pulling Palla urgently behind him, peering over the edge. “Stairs.”

He looked at her with an impish grin, and the excitement in it was half genuine. It was a game; it was the unknown. Surely the darkness appealed to her curiosity as much as it comforted her bondmate. “This is it. The Underground. Wanna go first?”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Bound

Postby Palla on March 30th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Satisfied with Victor’s approval of Palla’s signature and his promise that Seven would recognize it as ‘her very own,’ she wriggled excitedly. His hand grasped hers, at first causing her to twitch, but with a second thought, she grasped his back. Despite the incident in which he had stolen her face, it seemed he was acting of genuine kindness this day. She could not fathom why, but she preferred it to cruelty – in any measure – any day. His smile provoked one of her own each and every time he glanced her way. As they went, she eyed the buildings. She could never know what they were used for or who or what was in them. It was strange to her, that anyone should want to live in such a thing when there were trees and grass and bushes beyond the city walls. It was a much more pleasurable thought, in Palla’s mind.

When Victor spoke, she tried her hardest to pull her attention from the goings on around them and focus solely on his words. At his pause, she replied, ”So I can look at people and they give me things? Like, anything? Is it a surprise? And I have to do it a certain way? I think I have all I could ever want, and then some. I think to look at someone and receive more would be strange… Seven says the people come from over mountains and across seas to trade the metal pieces in the Bizarre for things. Or they bring things to trade here. It seems fair. If someone gives me something, shouldn’t I give them something back? Isn’t that how it works?” Palla wanted to learn. The things she retained from Seven and Victor overwhelmed her at times, and it took practice, but she enjoyed it. Never had she been so social. Never had she felt so important, and it was a joyous feeling.

Sunflower seeds fell from the sky, pelleting her on the head and face. She turned her nose skyward and sniffed. ”Ooh!” She snatched her hand from his to hold them out and grasp a few of the seeds from the air. With an almost greedy motion, she popped them into her mouth and crunched down on them with her teeth. ”Mmm.” She giggled.

Stairs? ”What’s a stairs, Victor?” Her eyes followed his gaze down the hole. Tresses of rusty hair fell over her face as she cocked her head. It was dark and almost scary looking. The Underground. It made sense. The Underground, with a stairs that led under the ground. She smiled, proud that she had figured the curious thing out all on her own.

Victor’s grin was accompanied with an invite to lead the way in. The animal-girl could see quite well in the dark. With a nod, she hopped down the first stair and into the hole. ”How far does the stairs go?”
Palla
But I can learn.

Character sheet

Bound

Postby Victor Lark on April 1st, 2012, 2:53 pm

Victor tired of her incessant questions, the same superficial drivel that poured out of her mouth every day he had known her, but acknowledging it meant the potential of losing her. He wondered if Seven had the same sentiment, and the thought of it was only further inspiration to be rid of her. Victor paused before he managed his next smile, sugar-coated steel. “They go to the bottom, darling. You first.”

He gave her a little push. They descended into the inky darkness, tripping over well-worn steps alongside a torrent of rattling seeds. The wall was their only hand hold, so Victor let her go for the sake of balance. By the time they reached the crunching puddle at the bottom, their eyes had adjusted under a crescent moon and he had taken hold of her once more. “There. Those were stairs. Not a stairs, just stairs,” he mentioned briefly, all but irritably. Then he moved her through the streets again, trying in vain to orient in the even more complex city below the city, searching for one sign, one face.

After half a bell of silence, they stumbled upon a small enclave of merchant stalls, a circle of a plaza that lurked at the end of half a dozen lanes. Hanging above the threshold from their alley was a sign without words, only a crudely painted pair of circles bound by the straight line of a chain. Just before they would cross beneath it, Victor drew Palla to one side and out of sight.

He stepped close to her, pulling a free finger along the edge of her face. He gave a small smile, hesitant, coy; he looked away and back again. “That’s the smile boys like, Palla. The one that will get you what you want. See if you can’t do it, okay? Practice, for these men. They want to give you lots of things, but only if you smile nicely.” He looked at the plaza again and his lips faltered as he concentrated on finding one face among them. When he turned back to her, his expression had lifted again.

“Think of...” Seven, he thought to say, but refused. A boy cat-thing, he considered, and decided an animal’s mating habits were probably not a good example. She was more simple-minded than that. An eager exhale caught in his throat as he thought of a better idea. Simple for some, impossible for others. “Think of something that makes you happy, and make it show in your eyes.”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Bound

Postby Palla on April 6th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Down the stairs and into the Underground the pair went. Palla twittered as she went, sniffing the stale, dusty scent of the walls. She stuck close to Victor, her eyes surveying her surroundings. It reminded her in a way of the market, but darker. Dirtier, even. The sign overhead caught her eye, the circles with the links between them. Her head cocked as she looked for some semblance of the image and the letter P she had learned to draw that day. Victor pulled her away from the street and gave her the curious of looks. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to read his expression.

The smile that boys like, to get what she wanted? She blinked. She couldn’t for the life of her understand how to make her face make what his face had, and it only made it more awkward that she was expected to figure it out on the spot. ”Uhmm….” The thought of something that made her happy was immediately the memory of her times spent with Seven. She remembered buying her first crescent roll, the little moon-shaped bread, in the market. She remembered being saved from the bowls of the moving maze garden. She remembered the apple tree, her first day in Alvadas. The corners of her mouth curled upwards, her eyes squinting ever-slightly as her cheekbones rose to make way for the smile. Her chin dropped to reveal little white teeth. In that instant, she missed Seven, and wondered if he had gotten the note yet.
Palla
But I can learn.

Character sheet

Bound

Postby Victor Lark on April 7th, 2012, 1:31 am

Victor nodded an appraising frown at the attempt, more than a little unsure if her version of the look would be at all effective. She was pretty enough, he decided, and it was the effort that mattered more, the eagerness. “That’ll do,” he said as his expression brightened, then took her by the hand and crossed beneath the swinging shackled sign.

They did not have to go far. Victor instantly recognized the man he had met at the Wager, lounging on the players’ side of the table for once, and waved when their eyes met. Together with Palla, he weaved between the stalls and modest collection of people, some in rags and some in velvet, some weighted by black chains while others palmed colorful mizas. Just before they rounded the wide kiosk that would lead her to his friend, he pulled her close and whispered sideways, “Keep that thought of yours in mind. Smile, okay? And we’ll get you something to show Seven.”

With that they approached, and the tall man before them dropped his hand and cast his gaze on the girl in Victor’s grasp. The Ravokian did not have the chance to speak before he stepped forward, towering over them both, and said, “She... is as attractive as you said she would be.”

“Why would I lie?”

The stranger offered a hand with long, curling fingers to Palla, and Victor squeezed her hand like reassurance before he let it go. “What does she know?”

“Not a lot, I’ll admit. But she’s young, and eager to learn. Aren’t you, Palla?”

He received no response, only an absent grin as the merchant slaver inspected the product he had to offer. Victor glanced to once side, impatient, then turned his fidgeting eyes to the kelvic between them. “You said six-hundred, if she’s pretty,” he reminded him. “So what do you say now?”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Bound

Postby Seven Xu on April 7th, 2012, 3:52 am

Seven emerged from an unassuming red-painted door set deep in a stone edifice. Its windows were so dark with dirt nothing escaped them, but the orange glow of lantern-light could be seen behind his small frame. When the door clicked shut, it was dark again, save for the eerie haze a red smile cast in perpetual night. He set off alone among the twisted, serpentine underground with his own thoughts and an off-key tune to keep his company. It did not take long for the streets to grow thin; rickety porticos shouldered against narrow alleys just beyond the oppression of hulking stone walls. The yellow-white of lanterns peered through the gloam; perpetually damp flagstones glinted like slick black marbles.

Leathered shoes scraped a lopsided trail against the ground. It could be as hard to find the surface as it was the world beneath it, but the streets below had favored the cynical halfblood enough to spit him out before the day’s last light slipped over the foothills beyond Alvadas’ walls. Today would not be as easy. After a few sharp turns, he passed the red door again. When he took to a narrow alley, the door met him on the other end; he turned abruptly and found himself facing an impassable wall.

Of course. He had left early, and had paid for it. His burned leg was stiff, it wanted for a comfortable chair and his dry mouth for tea. Even the half-chilled amber swill at home would have sufficed. A tongue reached out to wet parched and tight lips, and he encouraged sore feet to push on.

As Seven searched, he thought. The daydreamer often lost himself in his thoughts; he had the ability to mute the world, drive out the smell of sweet rotting fruit and the sting of excrement, the rattle of hooves on stone or the creak of carts they towed, the blur of unfamiliar faces that came few and far between beneath a living city. He should have noticed the stout figure that approached him too quickly, with too much purpose. When a pair of calloused hands took the him by the shoulders and hauled him bodily into the crushing darkness of a sliver-thin alleyway, he loosed a startled cry. A dirt-marred palm stilled his lips, and the world drummed back into Seven’s senses with the sickening smell of sulfur and a brusque voice.

“There you are, konti, I thought I’d lost you.”

Konti? Seven opened his mouth to speak, only to be reminded of the stinking hand that quieted him. He jerked his head and posed the muffled question all the same.

“Come, we’re late.” Seven’s jaw was released, aching and throbbing while the memory of a man’s reckless grip lingered on his skin.

“Late? Who is konti, and who the fuck are you?” There was an iron-on-iron rattle, and cold clamped down on Seven’s wrists, one after the other, guided by an arm stronger than both of his. Seven’s nostrils flared. Dizzying fear and rage surged fire-hot through his veins. His head spun, and he thrashed, feet scrabbling against slippery wet rock. Tears blurred his vision, and a wail caught in the back of his throat, emerging in a pathetic moan.

“Calm yourself, konti.” The name was repeated, and again, as much to win over the owner of the words as the squirming halfblood subjected to them. Silver caught the dim light of the blood-moon in the corner of Seven’s frenzied stare. He turned, and a dagger point grazed his nose. It was dirty, caked with mud, or dried blood, it was hard to tell in the dim light. “You wouldn’t want to hurt yourself. The last one, she never wanted to hurt herself, but she gave me no choice.”

The next chimes were a blur of dizzying panic and clumsy feet. Iron wore against his thin wrists and a hand concomitantly gripped his coat and pushed at his back, turning to a rough shove if Seven stopped to hesitate—which was often, with his leg.

Several narrow alleys fed into one pool, where a noisy throng had gathered among makeshift wooden booths that stood out against age-old stone walls. It was clear they had not been there long, nor would they linger. Seven craned his chin upward as he passed beneath an archway into the mouth of chaos, only to have that ever-present hand give him a rough push before he could decipher the wooden sign that swung in dead night air. The stalls smelled of muck, and the perfumed stock in velvet and ermine smelled worse. Lanterns swung on chains overhead, limned in colored glass.

“What is this place?”

“Shut up.”

“Fuck you.” That warranted a smack, a teeth-chattering backhand from the loutish wretch.

“Hold your tongue.”

Seven seethed behind a reddened cheek, eyes darting away from his captor long enough to catch a flash of wild orange-red in an otherwise grey crowd. He looked away and back again, and a familiar storm-grey stare drifted alongside the ginger hair and freckled smile, flickering with impatience, but did not fall on him. His heart leapt into his throat. He jerked at his iron binds. He screamed their names. Two feet scraped desperately at the hard ground beneath them, and a heavy hand brought silence to the halfblood once again with a swift backhand. Seven reeled, blinked bleariness from his eyes, and found the resolve to raise his head again. This time, he made no fuss, but there was no need. They were gone as soon as he’d glimpsed them, lost to a sea of foreign faces that left him wondering whether they had even been there at all. Seven’s desperately swiveling head was turned for him. They ducked into a stall.

It was quieter, here, on the other side of scant slats of timber, but the stench still clung to his nostrils.

“Here she is. I believe we agreed on eight hundred gold-rims.”

She?

A merchant’s shrewd black eyes peered out from behind wire-rimmed glasses at the glowering halfblood.

“That’s no konti. You said you’d have a konti, that’s what I am paying you for. Not some … ” There was a pause, then laughter. “For the sake of the gods, that isn’t even a woman.”

Seven’s tongue was fat and dry. He croaked. What was on that sign? He turned to look.

“Four-hundred, then.”

Carved and burned in wood were shackles, like the binds that held his wrists at the small of his back. Oh, gods. His mouth watered. Bile crept up his throat. Victor, Palla, they were … Victor.

“You’ve beaten him. His lip’s bloody, and he limps. One-fifty, or take your … whatever you have, kelvic, Widow, man-konti—take it elsewhere.”

“Bugger yourself.”

Respite was short-lived before they were in the sweltering mob again. His captor was cursing beneath his breath, and the stunned and sheltered Lhavitian had only now pieced together the motives of the man, of the market. Seven spat. His wits were plagued by fear and frustration, and he began to shout anything that came to mind. “I’m not a slave, you shit. I live here. I own a tavern! Let me go, and I’ll pay you twice what you asked in there. I have money. I need to find … ”

Smack.
Last edited by Seven Xu on April 26th, 2012, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next