Finding My Ride(Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 15th, 2010, 6:22 am

Jaeden slowly looked down to Pygmy as she handed him the reins. Giving a slow nod, he grasped them lightly, stepping into the stirrups again as he mounted Fortunado. “You know, you seem a little less jovial than before.” Jaeden commented as he slipped his other foot into it’s respective stirrup. “If it’s something I did, I’d prefer you voice it, rather than letting it fester.”

Jaeden gave a little nudge with his heals along Fortunado’s sides as the horse began walking peacefully. “There yaw go buddy,” Jaeden said before looking to a stable hand nearby. "Open up the fence, I want to give him a little more open ground again."

The Drykas gave a look to Jaeden as if to say such wasn't a good idea, considering his novice status as a rider. In the end, however, Jaeden had already paid his gold miza's for the Nightwalker, as well as all the trimmings that came with it. So reluctantly, the Drykas slowly opened the fenced in area as Jaeden slowly guided he Nightwalker back out, despite protests of other, more experienced riders there. Eventually, Jaeden leaned froward, giving another quick kick to Fortunado's sides. The Nightwalker then began to pick up speed, eventually coming to a full paced run. Of course, Jaeden's inexperience as a rider, would soon be known to give him pains as he saw the horse coming up on a stream in the land. While the gap was only about five feet across, it was the fact that Jaeden was approaching it on a horse, and wasn't quite sure how to handle a jump. In his panicked state however, he had completely forgotten the use of his reigns, instead trying to plead with the horse verbally. “Stream there. Stream there. STREAM THERE!” Jaeden argued with the horse before Fortunado hoisted his front legs, pushing off strongly with his back.

There was one fluid movement, and a feeling of slight bliss by Jaeden as Fortunado went soaring through the air, jumping over the stream. Then there was nothing but throbbing pain as Fortunado’s hooves came thundering to the ground, catching Jaeden in an awkward lean forward as the saddle was forced sharply up between his legs. While Jaeden remained on Fortunado’s back, it was all he could do to remain there as his eyes crossed for a moment and he leaned forward, his chest and shoulder leaning along the back of Fortunado’s neck. “Oh, the boys.” Jaeden said weakly in a grunted voice. “Talk to me boys.”

It would take a fair amount of time before Jaeden was able to sit up right again, as Fortunado still ran at full speed. As Jaeden gazed his surroundings, he found that Fortunado was still within the area. Overall, it seemed that Fortunado wanted more open ground to run along. A span of land for him to fully unload his energy on. The circled fence and small area where Jaeden initially had him wasn’t enough. Jaeden settled himself more comfortably into the saddle, though still wishing he had some cushioning between his legs, and grasped the reigns lightly, letting Fortunado run. The breeze that pushed past him was nice, as he closed his eyes for a moment, just enjoying the feeling of it along the skin of his upper body.

A short time after, he soon began guiding Fortunado, using the reigns as he turned him back to camp. Fortunado took one last sprint towards the Stable tents, his head lowering as his hooves slammed along the ground in a repetitive, thunderous beat. Eventually, as Fortunado drew closer, his pace slowed, falling to a slow run and eventually to a trot.“Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.” Jaeden repeated during the trot as each bounce along the saddle reminded him slightly of the pain he was feeling before. Eventually, Fortunado slowed to a walk, and then stopped in front of the fence where Pygmy stood.

Jaeden lifted his leg out of the stirrup, swinging it over Fortunado before sliding down off the ground. “Fortunado could use some grain if you please,” Jaeden requested of one of the stable hands, before reaching to his crotch slightly and wincing, “and I could use a little ice.”

“So,” Jaeden said still wincing slightly as he looked up to Pygmy, “you were going to tell me off before we were so rudely interrupted by my new horse?”

Jaeden stumbled forward again, falling face first into the ground after Fortunado gave him a slight nudge with his muzzle. “Bacaa!” Jaeden simply said, spitting out a mouth full of grass.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Dhanya on April 17th, 2010, 11:58 am

Having lived among the Drykas for a time, Pygmy had learned their distaste for those that let their horses run wild. Jaeden had kept his seat but he had let the horse go where it wished to and hadn't been firm enough to direct it. Pygmy was a novice rider as well but even that small amount of knowledge had made her quite critical, even unreasonably so. She had been a beginner once as well.

"Your horse rides you." Pygmy said, blunt as a club.

It was a phrase she might once have laughed about, the implications if you cared to look were highly amusing. It did not, in fact, actually imply bestiality. Instead it meant that the horse was the one leading, not the rider.

As alluring as Jaeden had initially seemed, after seeing Drykas ride their horses for months, he couldn't compare. Truthfully, no one could. It was a strange thing to witness, she wouldn't have known the difference before.

"I don't know if telling you would help if you didn't notice in the first place. You know so much about goats, you hardly have to talk to a girl as good as one." Her annoyance was more than apparent in her voice, though her expression was cooler.

She had a lot of advice to give him about riding, lest he let his horse become more than wilful but she found herself unwilling to say it. She was angry at him and even her concern could not quiet it. She shook her head and rolled her eyes, turning away from him. She remembered once again why she had left Sylira as a region. Too many people were too willing to tell her what she was and liken her to a farm animal. It got her g...

Stupid saying. Stupid assumption.
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 18th, 2010, 1:45 am

“Ah.” Jaeden said with a slight smirk. “So you think that because I pointed out a physical likeness to your animal half, that I’m shelving you with them as a whole?”

Jaeden reached down to his water skin, pulling it free from it’s hook as he took a moment to take a long drink. “I think you looked too much into what I said then, Pygmy.” Jaeden said, slipping his water skin back to where it was. “You’re so much more than a simple goat. It’s odd that you would think I label you as nothing more than that because I said you have similar eyes.”

Jaeden then made his way over to his things, grabbing his shirt first and slipping it on. “Anyhow, I’m going to grab something a little more substantial to eat before I go.” Jaeden said as he began tucking his shirt in. “You’re welcomed to join me, unless you’re still feeling slighted of course.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Vanator on April 19th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Vanator had instructed his young cousin to place the garment she had shown him on Pygmy's bedroll in his tent. As the adolescent trotted off, the Drykas turned to see a small crowd gathering to watch what appeared to be an outsider on a Nightwalker. He made his way closer, seeing Pygmy's small form speaking to the rider.

Making is way in that direction, Vanator watched the the rider exit the enclosure. The massive black steed bolted, the novice rider obviously out of control. Fate and the Nightwalker rewarded Jaeden for his rashness. Vanator watched the man with a grin as he dismounted in pain. But as Jaeden and Pygmy resumed their conversation, the Drykas felt compelled to approach them.

He only caught the end of the outsider's words, but there was no mistaking Pygmy's reaction. He had lived with her long enough to know that look. Her back straightened, her shoulders shifted back and her chin rose slightly. And if an ungulate's eyes could smolder, Pygmy's were. The unsuspecting man was going to get a taste of a goat's venom.

Quickly closing the distance with long strides, Vanator reached out to place a gentle but firm hand on Pygmy's shoulder. He flashed her a grin, hoping to assuage her temper. He did not know exactly what was going on, but if the man had offended Pygmy, there was more he would have to contend with than an angry Kelvic goat. The Drykas had become a bit protective of his roommate.

Vanator turned his smile from Pygmy to the outsider. "Friend," he interjected, "first day with a new horse?"
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 19th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Jaeden’s gaze rose to the new arrival. The man’s stance and demeanor suggested a skilled individual, but there was a calm about him that put him above that of someone that simply swung a weapon around. Jaeden suspected the man may have hunted as a trade skill like Jaeden had. He returned the smile as he slipped his armor on back over his frame, giving a subtle nod to the man in return. “Well fist time on a horse here.” Jaeden corrected as he began fastening straps along the side of the armor. “I did some gentle riding up in Syliras a small while ago. Nothing that went beyond subtle walking speed.”

“Jaeden Kincade,” Jaeden said in introduction, before bending over an picking up his pack.

His arms slipped through the straps of his pack, shifting and adjusting it’s weight before they finally rested comfortably at his shoulders. Finally, Jaeden reached down to his composite long bow, holding it lightly along his hand as he looked back to the Drykas, one who obviously knew Pygmy.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Dhanya on April 20th, 2010, 1:33 pm

While Pygmy had been about to explain the finer points of intent compared to actual effect with her fist, Vanator's hand on her shoulder stopped her. It soothed the small though savage beast within her. She took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Hello Van..." Pygmy said, voice trailing off, unwilling to speak her mind so freely now that Van would witness it.

She didn't want him to see her angry.

Pygmy looked between the two men, wondering just what she should say now. The words were elusive. Small talk felt a bit beyond her at that moment.

"Maybe you should speak to him about riding." Pygmy finally offered, trying her best to be gracious and not exactly succeeding.

Van would know what to do. He always did.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Vanator on April 21st, 2010, 12:16 pm

"Hello Pygmy," Van glanced down at his friend, again hoping his grin would help disarm her. At least until he learned what the man had said to earn her ire. Maybe she had the right to lay into him.

His eyes lifted back to the Northerner. Jaeden was taller by half a head at least, and easily as broad in the shoulders as Vanator. He was, so it appeared, a fighting man, clad in leather armor similar to his own. A long straight-bladed sword at his side.

"I'm Vanator," the Drykas offered. He looked back at Pygmy as the kelvic suggested to Van that he give Jaeden some riding advice. "I, uh, might be able to give some pointers. I have never ridden in a saddle like that, or used reins, but I know something about horses. But it sounds like you were going to take your meal. Don't let me interupt."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 22nd, 2010, 1:56 am

Jaeden looked to Pygmy for a moment, then the slight exchange of words the two of them had. He then listened to Vanator, noting a slight tone of hesitation in his voice. After a slight period of silence, Jaeden slowly shook his head. “No, I’ll skip the meal.” Jaeden said as he grabbed the bag of oats, and began strapping it to the rear of the saddle. “I think it best that I move on, before I inadvertently do anything else to make Pygmy upset. It was nice meeting you though, Vanator, perhaps we can take part in a hunt sometime in the future or something.”

Jaeden then moved up towards Fortunado, lightly sliding his hand down along the Nightstalker’s neck for a moment. “Come on, big fellow,” Jaeden said to Fortunado before lightly grasping the reigns and using them to lead Fortunado to the exit.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Dhanya on April 27th, 2010, 10:50 am

While Pygmy was always somewhat inappropriately gleeful to have Van to herself, she also wasn't very good at letting things lie. When her feelings were hurt, she tended to share the result. It was one of her most reliable traits, though not a good one.

"But I was hoping you'd tell me all about animal husbandry!" Pygmy shouted after Jaeden, swinging her hand down and clicking her fingers. "Oh shoot, and you didn't give me your recipe for fetta!"

Pygmy gave Van a Look. He'd seen it before. It meant that she was angry and looking for some ego stroking. He knew this because she had explicitly told him so and shown him what the expression looked like, shortly after meeting him.

She was not naturally a being of social grace. At the least, she was transparent about it.

"There are pinenuts cheap at the market today." She said.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Finding My Ride(Open)

Postby Vanator on April 29th, 2010, 11:30 am

With a wave of his hand, Vanator bid Jaeden farewell. When Pygmy hollered after him, Van's head dropped, concealing a broad grin. He had no idea what the context of the Kelvic's comments were, but he could guess what had transpired. The poor stranger had made some offhand remark, unwittingly earning the ire of the girl. Pygmy just wanted to make sure Jaeden was aware of the fact.

Pygmy turned her unique gaze up to Van. Oh yes, he knew the look. One could not live with the girl for as long as he had without learning the looks, since she instructed him in each of them. Vanator had even learned to read the Kelvic goat's eyes somewhat, though those amber irises and horizontal slits still concealed the deeper things in Pygmy's heart. Now, those narrowed eyes and firmly set mouth communicated anger that needed assuaged.

He used the hand on Pygmy's shoulder to turn her around, away for the departing northerner. Van flashed her his disarming smile, the first tactic he used to sooth the girl's ruffled feathers. He put his arm around both shoulders and pulled him against her. The second tactic, she reacted to physical contact. Besides, he admitted, she was cuddly. Then finally, the third tactic...

"Pinenuts huh? Sounds delicious. I'll buy!" The third tactic rarely failed. Food.

The two friends headed off towards the market quarter.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext