A Chance Encounter [Closed] (Navrin, Ilona)

Ilona bumps (quite literally) into a stranger during her first day in Riverfall.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby O'delia on April 3rd, 2012, 8:39 pm

Note: Reworking character completely
Last edited by O'delia on September 17th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'delia
Player

Words: 9059
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2012, 10:59 pm
Race: Konti

Postby Navrin Stormwalker on April 4th, 2012, 2:34 am

Navrin was out for a stroll, if only to keep his legs from cramping up. He'd trained with the Akalaks recently and had paid the price. He hadn't been this sore since he'd first learned to ride. When he'd climbed to the top tier of the city to see Natiarian he'd almost wished that he'd taken up some less violent pursuit. He was covered in welts, some of which lay under scabs which in turn lay under more bruises. It was well worth it though. When he finally found the scum who had taken the lives of his family he'd be able to make them pay tenfold. He had spent an hour or so visiting with his horse before making his way back down into the heart of the city.

The streets were full; Akalak and outsiders wandering about in their daily routines. He watched them for a few minutes, wondering whether the assassins he sought were walking by undetected. He tried to memorize every face that passed; tried to give each one a story. He gave up quickly. It was impossible. The Akalaks all looked too similar to him. Maybe he was being a racist, or maybe it was a true statement. He didn't know and he didn't care. All that mattered was that he was wasting his time. Instead of hunting his prey he was standing around daydreaming and people-watching like an old crone. He sighed and stood up off of the wall he had been leaning on.

He barely noticed the impact at first. Whatever hit him was light, and for a second he entertained the thought that the wind had blown something into him. He dismissed that quickly. He hadn't heard the wind speak to him. The air was still and lifeless. He turned and looked around, trying to see whatever it was that had bumped him. It took him a second to look down. Down at his feet was a Konti, face pink and flustered. It made her scales more prominent. She was stammering something that he assumed was an apology. She was pretty in a delicate way, and she put Navrin in mind of a porcelain statuette. He watched as she panicked; violet eyes scanning the ground around her. She found what she was looking for -her bag- and Navrin could feel her relief.

"No harm no foul," Navrin said, holding a hand out for the girl to grab. "I trust you're unhurt?"
Navrin Stormwalker
Player

Words: 35345
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2012, 9:14 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby O'delia on April 5th, 2012, 12:03 am

Last edited by O'delia on September 17th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'delia
Player

Postby Navrin Stormwalker on April 5th, 2012, 4:27 am

She looked well with a smile on her face, and her tiny hand felt good in Navrin's. He felt like he was holding a bird; the bones seemed frail and malleable. He thought that a quick squeeze would be all it took to grind them to dust in his palm. He nodded to her in recognition of her thanks. Something about her made him feel slightly awkward; embarrassed though he had no reason to be. He assumed it was something in her touch. She came to her feet easily, much to Navrin's relief. He would've hated to have had to help an Akalak to his feet in his currently sorry state.

Standing next to her he felt gigantic, even though he was short by the standards in Riverfall. She had to tilt her head back just to get a good look at his face. He was used to that kind of treatment, but he hadn't felt it since arriving in the city. Everyone here looked down at him. She broke the awkward silence with her name. Illona. It sounded like birdsong. It fit her. The embarrassment had left when she'd broken contact, and Navrin decided he may as well speak to her. He was growing tired of conversing with a partner who spoke only in whinnies and neighs.

"Navrin," he said. Her face was still red, made all the more apparent by her pale skin. Her eyes drifted to his bumps and bruises; the scabs that were marks of honor among the young Akalak. She frowned as her eyes fixated on the yellowed bruise that covered most of his left arm. That had been his first, but there were many like it - each an encouragement to continue his training. He could tell that she wanted to touch it so he held his arm out for her to examine.

"Training. The Akalak believe in a very physical approach," he said. A rueful smile flashed across his face and just as quickly disappeared. "They believe that every hurt is an incentive to train harder. I've had worse."
Navrin Stormwalker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby O'delia on April 6th, 2012, 12:44 am

O'delia
Player

Postby Navrin Stormwalker on April 7th, 2012, 11:51 pm

He didn't mind her examining his arm. Her fingers felt good on his skin, light and careful. He grimaced when she pressed on his bruise, sending a fresh wave of pain surging through his arm. He regained control of himself quickly. The pain died down in a matter of seconds and Navrin focused on Illona's face. She was frowning slightly as she examined his bruise. It was ugly; of that there was no doubt. It was nowhere near as bad as some of the kicks he'd received from Natiarian when the horse was in a foul mood.

"Training. If you're going to do it, you may as well do it with the best," Navrin said, answering her surprised question. He'd held his own well enough, but there was still a lot for him to learn. Her surprise wasn't unexpected. Few non-Akalak chose to to train with the colorful warriors because of their prowess. Navrin had made the choice exactly because of that. He didn't see a point in training with those who couldn't teach him more than he knew. The Akalak could do just that.

"I can't count the times I've been kicked by a horse, or thrown. I've broken a couple of fingers, most of my ribs, all of the bones in the top of my feet. The tips of my fingers have been rubbed off from the bow. Then there's this," Navrin said, motioning to the scar on his forehead with his free hand. He'd gotten that from a fight with Ariin. They had been arguing over something that only a child finds important when his brother had grabbed a rock from the ground and opened Navrin's forehead with it. They'd taken him to an old healer who had stitched his forehead up. He and his brother had made up eventually, but it ultimately ended up being too little and too late.

She was pretty in an innocent way; not so much like a child, but like someone who has been untouched by tragedy.

"If you'd like. They're little more than nuisances," Navrin said. He watched her blush and a another smile flew across his face. He reached up with his healthy arm and rubbed the dirt off of her cheek. Her face felt good under his hand. When he was done he let his hand fall to his side and waited for her to start her work.
Navrin Stormwalker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby O'delia on April 8th, 2012, 2:12 am

O'delia
Player

Postby Navrin Stormwalker on April 9th, 2012, 11:12 pm

"Something of the sort," Navrin said. She was smiling again but her eyes retained their seriousness. She opened her mouth when he showed her his forehead, like there was something she wanted to say. She shut her mouth quickly, like she didn't want to intrude on his past. It was funny in its own way. Here she was, wanting to fundamentally alter his bruises and scabs, but she wouldn't ask about ancient history.

"My brother gave it to me," Navrin said. "We were an an argument and he hit me with a rock. Simple as that," he finished.

She blushed again as he wiped her cheek, brighter than before. He liked to watch a woman blush. He wasn't sure why. Maybe it was a subconscious stroke of the ego, or maybe he simply thrived in awkward situations. Either way, Illona's next words made him chuckle. He knew what she meant, but he wasn't unaware of the double entendre. The thought flew threw his head briefly, he and the little Konti together. He chuckled again, this time to cover up what he thought may have been actual desire.

"Perhaps. If you're sure you'd like to do this; I would hate to trouble you," Navrin said. "I promise you they're nothing but scrapes. I insist you allow me to pay you for your services. Perhaps dinner? A glass of wine maybe?" He was slightly awkward - quite out of practice to be entirely honest- but he thought the words came out alright. He hoped that she wouldn't flee screaming down the streets of Riverfall, but he wouldn't be terribly surprised if she did. He wasn't easy on the eyes by any stretch of the imagination.

"Whatever you'd like."
Navrin Stormwalker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby O'delia on April 10th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Last edited by O'delia on September 17th, 2017, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'delia
Player

Postby Navrin Stormwalker on April 15th, 2012, 2:59 am

"I do have to pay something. Accepting charity isn't my nature," Navrin said. It was another of his father's many lessons. A real man never accepted help without paying. Charity was for the old and weak, and Navrin was neither. Even if he were, he would have refused free healing. He was too proud. If she didn't accept his offer then he'd find some other way to pay her. When she understood that he was offering to take her to dinner she seemed somewhat dumbstruck. He hoped that he hadn't been too forward, but it had seemed appropriate.

She bit her lip and looked away. He imagined that she was thinking of an excuse, a way to heal him without accepting his meager payment. He waited patiently for a response. If she said no his feelings wouldn't be hurt, but he wouldn't let her do more than look at his wounds until they'd decided on a payment. He crossed his arms and leaned against the nearby storefront. Standing straight for too long made his back hurt. Finally, she accepted his offer, smiling as she looked at him. She had a pretty smile; her mouth was full of shining teeth, made even more so by her pale skin and shockingly white hair.

"Sounds fair," Navrin said. She hesitated like she wanted to say more, and then asked a question that Navrin was unprepared for. Where was he staying? That was an interesting conundrum. He didn't have a room at any of the inns. He hadn't planned on staying in Riverfall for long enough to spend money on board. Besides, he'd never liked staying too far from Natiarian. It made him uncomfortable, and the few times that he'd done it he'd done nothing but worry about the horse. For a horse, he had the uncanny ability to find trouble wherever he was stabled.

"The stables," Navrin said. He wasn't ashamed of it either. Most people would've lied to avoid admitting to living in such squalor, but the truth had never bothered him. It was a quality that had landed him in trouble on more occasions then he cared to count.

"That's probably not the best environment for a healing. I'm sure we could find somewhere more appropriate."
Navrin Stormwalker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next