(Closed) Sparring with the Unarmed (Rykanis Dakshata)

Syrah decides to learn some more unarmed combat and ends up sparring with Rykanis Dakshata

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

(Closed) Sparring with the Unarmed (Rykanis Dakshata)

Postby Syrah Steele on April 15th, 2012, 5:42 am

Spring Day 44, 512
Syrah closed her welcome scroll when she approached the wooden building. It was the Tuvya Sasaran and it looked so much different from the other buildings. This one was constructed with wood, while most others with stone and and sliding doors instead of swinging. Syrah was still waiting for a job from the Labor Aid and she decided that while she waited she would hone her skills. Her helpful little scroll informed her of the unarmed training facility and she silently thanked the Akalak that had given it to her.

She bravely walked up the steps and slid open the doors, she was greeted with sounds of combat, grunting, thuds and a few curses. She smiled, knowing that most men here would stare at her showing up at this place. Females don't fight, well I am not a regular female, she thought.

As she looked around she saw a variety of men sparring with others in combat, no weapons of course. She saw the way they lunged and jabbed at each other and she knew she wasn't leaving here without any bruises. She just needed to find someone at her skill level willing to fight her.
Syrah smiled and walked into the room, looking for anyone who might need a partner.
Last edited by Syrah Steele on April 21st, 2012, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele
My heart is cold but, so is the wine.

Words: 105282
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2012, 2:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Sparring with the Unarmed (Rykanis Dakshata)

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on April 15th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Rykanis was always trying to improve his skills. As an Akalak, he was constantly conscious of the need to better himself, to always be getting stronger and developing. Though in honesty, he tended to sneak off and go spying on people more often than he should, and so his fighting skills had suffered for it.

So he resolutely found himself in the training hall, working today to fight better with his fists. He usually traded from one to the other, since he knew he needed to get better at it, as it was his worse skill between that of his preferred lakan.

His other side often took over during these things, when they went over the stretches, the basic forms of akalak fighting, preparing for the real fight. And then they were in a flurry of limbs, as the person on person spars started.

He himself got paired up with a akalak that was even taller than himself, and who had a mean right hook. He kept on slipping in under his guard, and getting him right in the face.

Rykanis finally gave up, and concluded the match, wanting to take a breather... But his opponent had not realized it, and he had been thrown by his opponent, gripped and flipped, landing painfully on his back, the breath being knocked out of him.

He looked up to see an odd sight, one he did not often see here, which was that of a woman entering, only a few feet from were he laid on the ground. Could he have looked worse as she walked in? Probably not...

He quickly tried to regain his breath, his main side taking back over, and he waved off his partner, who had tried to give him a hand up. He kept his eyes locked on the new woman to enter... He could not help but be interested... What secrets might she hold, for him to uncover?

As his old partner walked off, Rykanis had finally caught his breath. He approached the new woman, dipping his head to her, and nicely offering to spar, with a smile coming over his face, though the expression also in his eyes, not just in his mouth.

"Hello, I am Rykanis, and you are? Would you perhaps like to spar on this fine day?"

If she said yes, he would drop into his ready position, knees slightly bent, facing her, one hand out in front of him, the other at his side, ready to move if needed.
-You can't truly appreciate the light, until you spend some time experiencing darkness...

-The more you know, the more you learn how little you truly know, and how much there is left to learn.

-Only when you truly understand the darkness, will you not fear it.
Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Words: 248966
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2012, 2:10 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syrah Steele on April 15th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Almost immediately after she walked in an Akalak was flung at her feet. He quickly got up and looked at her a smile on his face.

"Hello, I am Rykanis, and you are? Would you perhaps like to spar on this fine day?" The man called Rykanis looked genuinely pleased to see her and Syrah became confused. Double meanings flashing through her head. She finally concluded that he just wanted to fight, and that was great with her.

"Hi, I am Syrah and it seems that I am now your opponent." She smiled a devilish smiled and crouched, knees bent and hands at the ready. She knew, because she was lighter, that she would be able to dodge some of his blows. She didn't know how skilled he was but she got the feeling they were on the same level. All the better she thought.

The pair circled each other and Syrah would lunge in for a quick jab every so often. She was not strong, so the punches didn't hurt as much as she wished they would,and he was pretty good at dodging as well.

She wanted to know what she was up against, and how better to find out than ask? "How skilled are your at this?" she asked, hopeful that he was worse than her.

As she waited for his answer they both continued circling and she took this time, though staying alert, to survey the man she was battling. He was a very, very tall man with deep purple skin. She smiled at that, purple being her favorite color. He had pale blue eyes and black hair almost as long as hers. But as she looked into his eyes she got the feeling she was fighting two men, she quickly shook that off, knowing its impossible and stupid thought.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on April 16th, 2012, 12:33 am

Rykanis listened, as the woman responded, in a dramatically feminine voice... Or maybe it was just appeared to him so after being around men all day, that she seemed so feminine. He of all people knew that each person skewed what information they took in. Your senses alone could not be utterly trusted.

So he simply smiled, hearing her name, Syrah, and prepared to fight. She seemed also to be eager to fight, but he decided to hand it over to his other side for a bit, who was more cautious, and let him assess her.

As they circled, they both fought well, darting in, attacking, coming back, going forward... But never totally committing to a attack, such that they put them-self totally at risk. Rykanis scored a hit to her shoulder, which was more glancing, and she in turn struck him in the chest, and in the side. Though this might have been partially since her arms were at chest level to him.

Along with that, she certainly was lighter and faster, which was one advantage. Though in turn, Rykanis had more brute force he could bring to bear, and if he had to, use it to bull his way through. But he would save that for later. Though also neither of them were really trying to mortally injure the other, as one might in a real fight, but were simply sparring, testing each other.

As she asked him of his skill, Rykanis simply smiled once more, his main side coming back to command. It was funny that she was trying to tease a nugget of knowledge out of him, as he was so often to be the one doing the same.

"How skilled am I? Skilled enough to know I am no expert, and that I have much to learn, and mistakes to make... But not so unskilled as to this being my first spar. How skilled am I? I don't really know, somewhere between a complete novice, and a master."

This answer of course held very little information, it more so in fact brought about new questions in its vagueness. But this was simply Rykanis way, he was hard pressed to be convinced to let out any information or secrets he did not have to, he had long learned to keep such things to himself.

Of course he would rarely be someone who lied... Almost never would a false word be spoken from his lips... But neither was he direct or open, and certainly he did not show what he really thought. He told the truth though, no one would call him a liar. And few people could get him to open up, and reveal his true self. That he kept secret between himself and his other side.

"And what of you, what is your story? What brings a woman here to fight? I would be interested to now what drives you to do so. Or to know what your true interest is."

Rykanis would give her a moment to answer this, and wait for his response. Then when she had once more grown silent, he would attempt a acrobatic maneuver, trying to do a forward shoulder roll, and get under her, and possibly trip her up while down there.

However his aim was a bit off, and he ended up to far to the left, coming out of his roll facing away from her, a very unlucky way, exposing his back accidentally to her. While his unarmed skill was in question, it seemed his acrobatics was the better one to ask, for it seemed he was worse at it, and had utterly failed his attempted maneuver. But this was a spar, all about practice.
-You can't truly appreciate the light, until you spend some time experiencing darkness...

-The more you know, the more you learn how little you truly know, and how much there is left to learn.

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syrah Steele on April 16th, 2012, 1:44 am

Before Rykanis answered her question they both got in a few hits. She was sure his hits were more painful that hers, but they were not all he could have given and for that she was thankful.
His answer was vague and it annoyed her, it didn't give her an answer at all, he could be going easy on her for all she knew, or this could be the best he was able. her brow creased in frustration and she lunged again, hitting him in the chest.

Then, after he didn't answer her question, he demanded an answer from her? The nerve! but the one thing he said, "Or to know what your true interest is." It seemed as if he saw right through her, that he knew her secret. She deleted the thought out of her mind, no one knew why she was really here, nor was she going to tell any time soon. Even is she did, he wouldn't understand.

"I came here to make wine, I am here to fight, to defend myself. And I respect your Akalaks way of fighting but I am mainly here to make wine, nothing else that would ever interest you." She knew though, something in those eyes of his, you could tell he was dying for her to tell. She wouldn't give him that pleasure though.

"Why are you so interested?" She asked, hoping to probe deeper.

During all this she kept dodging and punching at the man, landing several blows, taking several and dodging more. Then the man tried to trip her by rolling. But he missed and rolled past her. She took this chance to whip around and land several blows onto his back before he turned around.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on April 16th, 2012, 2:46 am

Of course, Rykanis was not trying to annoy the woman, or to be vague. It was just his way of speaking. He probably would have been confused if she had mentioned it, as he had been talking like it for so long, his way of speaking had become second nature, unconscious.

He listened as she gave her own response, which was a bit interesting... Wine? He knew Riverfall had some famous vineyards, but did not really know anyone who had come here just for it.

Though he did think her speech was a bit odd... She seemed oddly defensive, in wanting to make sure he knew she was only here for wine, going so far as to say "nothing" else about her would interest her. He highly doubted that, she was a reasonably attractive female, of mating age... Seemed like there was plenty to interest him. Not that he would mention that.

He simply smiled at her, feeling like she was still hiding something... She had really drawn attention to her secret, that she had one, in trying to convince him she did not... Funny how so often people overcompensated in such situations...

As Rykanis tried his maneuver, which failed, he was peppered a few times in the back. Little less could have been expected for his mistake. As he got back up, and recovered, trying to get back on the defensive, he replied.

"Sorry... Acrobatics are certainly not one of my best skills... But you have to practice to get better right? As for why I am interested... Why wouldn't I be?"

He smiled once more, looking her over quickly, then finishing up, looking her in the eyes. "A pretty young lady like you... Of course I would like to learn more. You seem very interesting... A lady who likes to fight, surely she would have other interests. I just hoped to learn more..."

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syrah Steele on April 16th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Syrah realized her mistake instantly, her words revealed she was hiding something, when she really wanted him to not be aware. Now he was back on the defensive and was apologizing for the failed move. She laughed, which surprised her, and then blushed a bit when the large Akalak complimented her. She then felt sorry for the miscommunication of words and tried to explain more, right after she missed a punch aimed for the jaw.

He's just too tall, she thought.

"My father has a large wine company and when my brother failed to pick up his skill, father taught vinting to me." She scowled a bit when she spoke of her brother. "I worked a couple of years in my fathers winery, then I decided to get out of Sylira and come here..." She paused, then remembered to finish the sentence, "because I heard Riverfall has a large vineyard and famous winery." She finished hastily.

She grimaced at herself, she was a terrible liar apparently, but it's not like she was going to share her secret, plus if she did its not like something that would matter to him at all. She looked up at the tall man before her, earning a blow to his stomach, and wondered what people would see, if they were on the outside looking in. Yes, that would be a sight, she marveled. A small, delicate looking woman, fighting a very tall, very beefy Akalak man. Now who would win that fight? Seemed obvious. She sighed, then gasped as her opponent took advantage of her distraction and got her right back in the stomach. Syrah doubled over, but quickly regained her posture and tried a new move.

She distracted him with her punches and then tried to kick the soft flesh between his ribs and waist. Instead if that working, she missed and her legs momentum made her fall down.

And this is how I loose, she sighed.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on April 16th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Rykanis smiled once more, as the woman blushed. Apparently what he had said had been successful, and he was better at wooing woman than he thought. He had simply been trying to say it so she would be more open to answering his questions, but it seemed to have had a dual result. And she was not that bad to look at... Maybe he would try and court her...

He listened as she continued on... Noted the way she scowled when mentioning her brother, perhaps without realizing it... Maybe that was were he needed to press... Though it could also be a tough topic, he would have to consider it more...

But as he did, he heard a flurry of whispers, ones it seemed only he could hear... Just ask her... No, you should force it from her! You should mate with her, then she will give you the answers you want...

He shook his head for a second, trying to tune the shadows out, as they whispered to him... At this moment they were more annoying, and he had a feeling they were just trying to mess with him... You could not always expect the shadows to be nice and helpful... But it seemed they were wanting to do so, as they continued on speaking, one of them mentioning cats, and another going so far into detail about a sexual act, one which if performed would likely get him arrested, and made Rykanis blush, which was hard to tell on his colored skin.

He continued the fight, letting his other side take over, as he tried to figure out his way through the shadows whispers, when the woman took a tumble, and fell flat. As he looked down at her, he thought for a moment of that she was open... Quite easy to counterattack, and get her back for earlier... But no, he was a gentlemen, and instead of striking, offered her his hand, to pull her back to her feet.

Once she was back on her feet, he smiled once more, and spoke slowly, trying to make sure he pronounced his words right... He had a bit of trouble in common at times...

"Well, that was certainly a nice spar. Would you perhaps like to go for a walk? We could continue our conversation then... I would love to learn more of your business, it sounds interesting. I myself know little of such things... And maybe you could tell me of your large family, I myself have little family..."

Of course he had his own motive unknown to her, wanting to get away from the shadows that were teasing him... Along with that his blushing was clearly visible now, against his face, since that one shadow was still going into a lengthy description, and now involved... Well... other parties... She of course had no way of knowing his true reason for blushing, which was not inviting her out.

But whose shadow was that? He was not sure if he wanted to know or not...

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syrah Steele on April 16th, 2012, 11:24 pm

When she fell though, Rykanis didn't defeat her rather he helped her to her feet instead. She was confused, though, as to why he didn't strike and then remembered that Akalaks treat the women kindly, hoping to one day court them.

Syrah accepted the mans help off the ground and listened intently to what he was saying, trying to get her mind off what she was previously thinking.

A walk? To where, she thought, maybe he could show her around a bit, she was new here. This was the only reason she accepted his offer, she needed to know the city at least a little bit.

"I would appreciate that. The walk, I mean. I am just days new to Riverfall and have not gotten out much. Perhaps you could show me around?"

But why would he want to know of her family? She didn't think they where very interesting, or big, a family of four, defiantly not hat big. She was over thinking it, he was just being polite, and she had no reason not to be polite back. Syrah just had a bad habit of thinking the worst of people. If she ever wanted to be more like her mother she would have to learn to stop that.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on April 17th, 2012, 12:28 am

After helping her up, he smiled once more, hearing her measured reply. She certainly was not one to just spout at the mouth... But that just made the chase all the more interesting, to learn of what they were hiding...

Though it was interesting to know that she was new... it sounded like she had not been here to long, or really learned that much of it... But of course a great place to walk was just next door, Semele Park.

It was filled with stone pathways, through plants and trees, with a small pond at its center, and statues spotted throughout it of various gods, peoples, and things.

"Sure, we are just next to Semele Park, why don't we walk there? We can see the sites, and talk."

Rykanis would lead her outside, to the park right next to were they were... Though how had she managed to come here, without seeing it? That was certainly a good question.

"So, tell me more of this wine making you seem to so like, and about your father, you seem to speak well of him..."

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next