[Erudite's Journals] The Ruminations of a Medical Student

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

Postby Erudite on April 20th, 2012, 11:20 am

Erudite's Journals

A pair of identical hardbound books sit before you, both filled with numerous leaves of fine white paper, with their covers and spines made of the same rich brown leather. A piece of emerald green string is attached onto the upper spine of each book and works as a bookmark. From afar, they appear brand new and in pristine condition, but upon closer inspection, it is obvious that they have already been with the owner for quite a long time. Their leather covers have wrinkled, and most of the pages have lost their ivory sheen. Nonetheless, it is clear that they have been well taken care of, as neither of them are falling apart in even the slightest bit. In fact, their worn out appearance seems more like a design or style, rather than the result of frequent and extended usage.

These are Erudite's journals, tomes filled with either her musings or her learnings. One of the journals acts as her diary; begins with a brief introduction of her, and the rest of its pages are filled with her personal, inner musings. The other journal contains her knowledge and learnings on medicine, herbalism, and other concepts, and slipped right inside is a slip of paper that is the book's table of contents. She hardly ever leaves them behind whenever she's out, and when they're not tucked into her backpack, they are often set by her bedside table or on upon a flat surface within her sight and reach. She doesn't mind others reading them, and one need not even ask permission to do so, as long as they return it in its rightful place afterwards. After all, she can tell if you've got other plans with them.

You are currently holding Erudite's medical journal. It contains many notes and information on medicine, herbalism, and various other concepts that she picks up in her studies or in her travels. Handle with care and caution.

Code: Select all
[framepic=http://www.commentnation.com/hotlinks/parchment_paper_seamless_pattern.jpg][googlefont=Marck Script][color=#3D2B1F][size=150]...[/size][/color][/googlefont][/framepic]

Code: Select all
[framepic=http://www.backgroundlabs.com/backgrounds/76.jpg][googlefont=Great Vibes][color=#3D2B1F][size=150][/size][/color][/googlefont][/framepic]
Last edited by Erudite on April 24th, 2012, 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

In Erudite we trust.
Personal Journal ~ Medical Journal

ANNOUNCEMENT: School is starting on June 13, and every single day after that, I will occasionally be busy and disappear for a few days. I am also currently applying for colleges abroad, and reviewing for upcoming entrance exams, so I'll be preoccupied over that, as well. Sorry!
Erudite
The girl with the world in her eyes.

Words: 92943
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2012, 5:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

[Erudite's Journals] The Treatises of an Overachiever

Postby Erudite on April 20th, 2012, 2:11 pm

The Ruminations of a Medical Student

Table of Contents

Notes on the Zeltiva University ................................ 1

Professor Henry's Herbalism Class ............................. 2-3

1st Year Herbalism Lesson Plan ............................... 4

Last edited by Erudite on May 1st, 2012, 11:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

In Erudite we trust.

ANNOUNCEMENT: School is starting on June 13, and every single day after that, I will occasionally be busy and disappear for a few days. I am also currently applying for colleges abroad, and reviewing for upcoming entrance exams, so I'll be preoccupied over that, as well. Sorry!
Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Erudite on April 21st, 2012, 2:28 pm

Zeltiva University
Haven't learned much about its history, though I am much intrigued to know all about it. The innkeeper who'd taken me in upon my arrival to Zeltiva couldn't say much about it, aside from the fact that there is no better education anywhere else. I have no doubts about that. More information on the matter may be added later on.

Courses I am interested in taking:
- Medicine
- Herbalism
- Philtering
- Botany
- Gardening
- Mathematics
- Rhetorics
- Calligraphy
- Drawing
- Writing
- Embalming
- Dentistry
- Organization
- Investigation

1st Semester Goals:
- To achieve an expert level in medicine and herbalism
- To have myself a part-time job at the infirmary

Herbalism classes will be held at the university, while the medicine classes will be at the infirmary. According to what the registrar informed one of the students, an envelope with the things I will be needing for my stay here, including my class schedule, shall be sent to my dormitory.

Ah, yes, and a room at the dormitories is free.

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Erudite on April 22nd, 2012, 5:22 pm

Professor Henry's Herbalism Class

Day 1

Herbalism is the study of the medicinal properties of certain herbs and plants. There are five ways to utilize an herb's nutrients or properties in the field of medicine.

Tincture, Infusion, Decoction, Ground up, and as a whole.

Tinctures are alcoholic extracts from the leaves of an herb or plant. The herbs are placed in a jar filled with 40% pure ethanol for two to three weeks. Shake vigorously from time to time to ensure maximum concentration. Normally, the jar is filled with one part water, and five parts alcohol, though other measures are possible depending on the plant in question.

Infusion is the outcome of steeping certain plants that are easily dissolved in either water, oil, or alcohol. It is not necessary to boil the liquid before applying the plant, but on occasion, it is better to do so. Allow plant to soak and release their active ingredients for a period of time. Said plant, berry, or flower must be dried up first.

Decoction is another method of extracting the active ingredients from a plant, and is much like infusion, except that it involves boiling water only. The plant part, which could be its stem, root, or bark, is mashed up before being placed in water and boiled up.

Grounding up an herb for use is simple; through the use of a mortar and pestle. One may add water to moisten it up. If one does not have a mortar and pestle around, chewing the herb works as well. Be careful not to swallow the herb if it is potentially harmful when ingested. For using a plant as a whole, simply place the plant part in question over the injury, or ingest it.

Aloe
A round plant made of long, sharp, triangular green leaves that form an inward spiral towards the plant's center. Can also grow like the formation of a rose's petals. Use mature outer leaves only. Infusion and tincture helps burns, scalds, sunburns, and lessens or prevents infection. Do not ingest as it causes abdominal cramps and loose bowel movement.

Anise
A long-stemmed plant with leaves that resemble trimmed grass. Bouquets of little white flowers in sets of ten or twenty grow upon each stem. The flowers have antennae-like formations sprouting out of their centers. The seeds are used for the infusions and tinctures. Used as a cough remedy, digestive aid, and abdominal pain. Indigestion is discouraged if one has a throat condition.

Basil
Thick, oval-shaped leaves that grow in bushes of random shapes and sizes. They have a distinctive, spicy, pungent, and aromatic smell. Tincture or infusion is used for fighting infection, intestinal unrest, and aids in strengthening the immune system. Completely safe to ingest.

Chamomile
Beautiful white flowers with petals that resemble that of a sunflower's, only shorter and thinner. Has a large, circular, fuzzy yellow center. The flowers are used for making its infusion or tincture. A well-known cure-all herb. Treats wounds, inflammations, indigestion and stomach upsets. An effective sedative and pain reliever for aching joints and muscles. Ingesting large amounts can cause nausea and vomiting.

Cinnamon
A tree with golden-red bark, long green leaves of two shades - light and dark - with dark blue berries. The bark is used to turn into powder, and the powder is used for infusions. Oil is used in the making of its infusion. Sprinkled on cuts and scrapes prevents infection and relieves pain. Aids in digestion and stomach cramps. Do not ingest, as it causes nausea, vomiting, and kidney damage. It also causes redness and burning on the skin.

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Erudite on April 24th, 2012, 10:20 am

Professor Henry
Herbalism Lesson Plan

First Semester

Day 1:
- Brief introduction to herbalism
- The different ways of utilizing the healing properties of herbs: Tincture, Infusion, Decoction, Grinding, and using the material as a whole
- Five examples of healing herbs and their safety precautions

Day 2:
- Hold a review for the five ways of utilizing the healing properties of herbs
- Give out a short exam on the five ways
- Illustrate the basics of caring and raising an herb plant
- Hold a project: each student must grow and care for their own herb until the next session next semester

Second Semester

Day 1:
- Inspect each student's plant to see how they fared, grade and offer small prizes to three students with the best plants
- Discuss tisanes, macerates, vinegars, and essential oils
- Give examples of plants and herbs that utilize the aforementioned methods

Day 2:
- Hold a review on tisanes, macerates, vinegars, and essential oils
- Give out a short exam on the four methods discussed
- Discuss salves, poultices, aromatherapy, extracts, syrups
- Hold a project: work with a patient at the Infirmary and assist in their recovery through the use of the nine discussed methods of this semester

Third Semester

Day 1:
- Introduce medicinal mushrooms
- Discuss virus, bacteria, and fungus; explain the helpful effects of mushrooms
- discuss the numerous edible species of mushrooms and their medicinal properties

Day 2:
- Review virus, bacteria, and fungus, and the effects of mushrooms
- Hold an exam on the aforementioned concepts
- Discuss the extractable species of mushrooms and their medicinal properties
- Hold a project: Write an essay on the adverse affects or hazards of mushrooms

4th Semester

Day 1:
- Discuss the herbs and plants that have adverse effects instead of helpful effects
- Discuss the herbs that give the user an allergic reaction
- Direct students to an extensive list of herbs and plants used in herbalism in the library

Day 2:
- Review the adverse effect herbs and the allergic reaction herbs
- Hold an exam on the aforementioned herbs, including the extensive list of herbs from the library
- Introduce next year's lessons: the phytochemicals of plants
- Encourage everyone to practice making herbal medicines and cultivating herbs and plants of their own

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Erudite on May 6th, 2012, 9:15 am

Thyme

[under construction]

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal