To Stalk the Shadows (Ink)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Zandelia on April 23rd, 2012, 11:14 pm

Spring 28th, AV 512 - The Streets of Sunberth - Just Before Sundown

Zandelia found herself wandering the streets, her purposes split more deeply than she could ever have thought possible. When she had been younger she had had so many plans, glistening constructs of beauty and magnificence. The harshness of her life and the events that had unfurled, almost unbidden, were tangibles that had altered her path in ways she could never have prophesied all those years ago. In many ways she was the stronger for them all, the pain and suffering molding her into a walking mental fortress. There were cracks now though that perhaps would eventually spell her doom. She used people. But she was still not sure how much their contact had altered her perceptions – for better or worse a verdict that was still to be told. It was thus, as she tried to stifle the weaknesses that she had taken to the streets.

Practicality was still something that she held dear, perhaps her one last saving grace. She had promises to keep, other’s plans to organize and underlings to train, but she would not be adhering to her usual schedule this day. Instead she had decided to satisfy nothing but her own wants, her own wishes and her own plans. In all of her years of sticking to the shadows she had not achieved anything of real note aside from survival. Today she was hoping to get a glimpse of where she wished to find herself, a layer above the grime and pointlessness. She had thrown out her nets and had come up with nothing but mysteries and enigma. A few days ago that had changed though, one of her hounds smelling the issue of something for more pregnant with possibility.

It almost seems too good to be true, one of the syndicate’s henchmen giving away such precious jewels under a drunken stupor! Probably it is, but what harm could there be in finding out? she told herself pragmatically as her feet padded through the south east of Sunberth, taking her inexorably towards the bridge into the northern quarters.

“This is hopefully what I have been waiting for, the chance to interact with and learn from my betters” she muttered to herself as she thought through contingences, possibilities and whether it was even a workable idea that did not lead to suicide.

It did not matter, however, her innate curiosity far too powerful for her to fully overwhelm at the best of times. But she was tired, so tired of grubbing with the lesser mortals and spending time with the inconsequential. She desired greatness even if she would have to pay dearly for it. She would leave this world being known if she had her way, though in circles perhaps limited to those of a more shadowy nature. As she made her way across the bridge she knew where she would wait for her chances, had rehearsed it countless times in both her mind and physical actuality. She had come fully prepared, every one of her weapons and secondary items about her person. She had even asked that some of her more violent ‘employees’ shadow her to be sure she was safe. How well that would work, however, was down to Lhex and Dira.

“Time to cast the dice then” she whispered as she made her way through the Castle Commons and found an alleyway in the Kennel’s area, all the better to watch the flowing crowd for what she had been told would pass her by.

She was hunting a group of small size, supposedly well armed and connected if there were any truth to the rumor and rationality she had been told. Whether they were hunted by or dealing with whichever syndicate was apparently linked to them was something she was not sure upon. She was not here to interfere with them, however, merely to follow. Their destination could prove insightful, not to mention opportunist for her senses – something she had not really sated of late. They would be wearing dark purple she had been told, tunics so dark as to appear black, with green bands upon their arms. Their name and significance was unknown, for now.

She merely waited.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ink on April 24th, 2012, 10:19 pm

As Zandelia waited there came a gentle thumping, a rhythmic patter of tiny furred paws. Not entirely unheard of for a stray cat or dog to be found in a back alley of Sunberth, but when the creature showed itself as a rabbit any notion that the night would be normal vanished. The rabbit had come to rest beside Zandell\ia's leg. Perhaps on any other night the scarred spy might have taken the rabbit for dinner or kicked the beast to shoo it off, but on the tiny creatures back a rolled up missive was tied. The black rabbit scratched behind it's ear sending the missive flying off it's back to fall at Zandelia's feet. Instead of scampering off though the creature stayed, contrary to its nature.

Missive :
Good Evening Madame Sansom,
Please follow your guide. We have business.

Kisses, KJ

P.S. His name is Mr.Cotton, not fluffy or cottontail. (He finds both monikers quite in insulting)

The rabbit, Mister Cotton as it was, thumped his hind foot several times in rapid succession demanding the woman's attention. Then the rabbit hopped away at an easy lopping pace in the opposite direction than the thugs were headed. His destination was in fact back over the bridge and towards the gated community. As they arrived the spy might notice the crowds filing out of the gates and that the guard had just changed; the cocky young human was no where in sight but the gruff Akalak was busy scowling at everything that moved. Noticeably though the Akalak very carefully failed to look at the rabbit. Although Zandelia received an appropriate glare she was not stopped, harassed, or even questioned.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zandelia on April 24th, 2012, 10:55 pm

As Zandelia waited from her secluded alleyways she watched the through fare of Sunberth citizens with interest, philosophical considerations something she had recently begun to sink her teeth into in ways she had not expected. She enjoyed the concept of trying to predict and read the actions of the general populace, her growing notion that they were of greater importance than she had previously thought of intellectual curiosity to her. She wondered if they themselves knew their own importance, or if they had been tricked by a master into merely scurrying about fighting for survival. It was true that the syndicate’s held the most power in concentrated form, however the people – if ever united properly – could overthrow any one of them with little apparent effort involved.

No, I suspect they have been duped. If they even suspected their true worth then they would not be so focused upon the mundane, the trivial. Though it seems strange. Our history is filled with uprisings and overthrowing. Is the status quo so beholden to them they forget what they have done in past times? she thought as she kept her gaze upon the people, searching for her targets.

It was then that an event so uniquely foolish seemed to waltz in upon her, or perhaps hop was the more correct term. A rabbit, small and fluffy had found her of interest, its nose seeking her out with whiskers twitching as it came to rest by her foot. This act, in and of itself was not so surprising, though rabbits were somewhat uncommon to be seen wandering the streets. No, what made it a signal occurrence was the fact that upon its back was attached a message scroll, neatly rolled and put in place with careful deliberation. She tilted her head as the creature kicked it off of its back, looking up at her expectantly as she crouched and leveled a suspicious gaze across her surroundings. Incredulous she picked the parchment up, opened it and read it.

“What in the?” she asked the world in general with a whisper, “Mr. Cotton?” she asked it, her countenance clearly flabbergasted beyond belief.

She watched as Mr. Cotton thumped around a bit and then set off, clearly expecting Zandelia to follow in his wake. She shook her head and, despite her own sense of the dangerous, she set off in following. As she watched the group she had come to find appear in the crowd she faced a terrible decision, one avenue of interest exchanged for another. It was agonizing to keep following the beast, however her instincts told her that she would find more at the end of this new trail than at the old. Gangs and exchanges of goods she could find at any point in the city of sin, however a trained messenger rabbit with a clearly shady and well connected owner – or at least connected enough to know Zandelia’s happenings – reeked of the unique. It was only as she found herself being led across the bridge and towards the Gated Community that she began to feel arrowheads peppering her torso.

“Petch me” she hissed as she continued to follow, eyeing the guards whom threw her dirty looks of dangerous connotation but seemingly paid no heed to the fact that she was being guided by vermin.

She passed the threshold, herself well enough know to some through her missions for Tua, but knew she would find no friends here willing to come to her aid. She was sure too that those she had asked to follow her were far from loyal enough to enter the stronghold of the Sun’s Birth. No, she was alone and vulnerable now and beginning to wonder if she had not merely walked into the lion’s den to become the supper. She sighed inwardly as she attempted to keep up an outwards affectation of confidence – only partially successful she was willing to wager. She looked down at Mr. Cotton, his tufted tail bouncing along without concern and wished, for the first and only time in her life, that she was rabbit.

“So, we are here in the…Gated Community…Mr. Cotton, the mouth of the powerful. Where are you taking me, and for what purpose am I here? I have no friends within these walls” she whispered to him as passers-by kept up their watchfulness, almost seeming to dare her to either run away now or fight.

Petch me…

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ink on May 3rd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Mr. Cotton either didn’t care for Zandelia’s complaints or couldn’t comprehend them, because the rabbit made no visible indication that he heard her. The streets around them were quickly emptying as the sun set, still at least fifteen bells until last light but the people were sparse. In contrast the number of Dragoons seemed to increase proportional to the sun’s descent. Without a regard towards the normal switching of the guard, the little black lapin made a sharp turn off the main street and down an alleyway. Unlike most alleyways in the city of sin, this alleyway was immaculately clean; the paving stones even lacked any layer of dirt. Someone took great care to keep the area clean. One moment the enclosed alley was rapidly dimming the next it was ablaze with light, when the blinding colors dissipated in the rabbit’s place stood a stark naked man. A starkly neutral mien held to his serious features. Built like a runner, Mr. Cotton moved as though any breath might trigger him to terminal violence. The former-rabbit opened a shadow hidden door in one wall and entered leaving it open for Zandelia to follow.

The room appeared to be a seamstress’s shop, bolts of fabric lined the walls and several mannequins served as models. In the midst of the arranged chaos sat a large table where a tiny dark haired woman sat. Mr. Cotton went for a bar supporting several suspended garments. With silent efficiency the man dressed. By the time the bow at his neck was tightened, he looked ready for a party. “Rae-me” He called abruptly; the woman popped her head in response. “Is he here?

No, a session was called.” The woman’s reply was airy and seemed to mimic the voice of a flute.

The man nodded sharply, “This is Madame Sansom, she will require attire. Joy won’t enjoy waiting.

In response the little woman settled her stitching upon the table and stood with a rustle of the cloth. As if trained as one of Ruby’s girls, when the woman moved the yards off flighty fabric acted as living art. She glanced towards the open door and the introduced spy. “Did he say her purpose Cotton?

No, but I found her stalking gangsters. She’s not one of those fools holed up in the library. I am certain you can draw the appropriate conclusion.

Ah, yes. He would only want her for one reason then. ” The woman hummed as she floated around the room pulling pieces of clothing from various cubbies and hangers. The final piece was pulled directly from a mannequin though; it was a pitch black cloak with blonde fur lining and between the shoulders flew an vibrant embroidered rising sun. Her gentle melody faltered as she turned on Zandelia. Though she appeared delicate and certainly getting on in years, she clearly wouldn’t brook nonsense; the look of a mother of many grown children evident in her eyes. “Can you act Madame Sansom?” As she awaited the reply the woman laid out the garments upon her sewing table. Besides the clearly expensive cloak was a tabard baring the same emblem as the cloak, matching gloves, belt and boots. “Get dressed; you cannot enter the chambers dressed as you are. It would reflect poorly on Joy and you would not be able to walk the night’s streets.

At some point during Rae-me’s gathering, Cotton had adorned himself with weaponry; two vicious kamas now on his person. Where the woman was a harmless tailor the other was clearly someone’s enforcer. Which begged the question what kind of person employed both?
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zandelia on May 30th, 2012, 10:54 pm

If Zandelia had thought that her day could progress from reasonably opportunistic to any darker and dangerous than it had already become, wandering through the Gated Community in the wake of a messenger rabbit, she would have won a bet against long odds. However, her stark surprise at the rabbit morphing itself into the naked form of a man was signal enough to her overwhelmed senses that it could possibly become more murderous than lucrative. She watched with avid interest, her gaze taking in her surroundings to see if anyone had seen but finding no one skittered back to the man once more. He moved like a hunter, a killer of some repute perhaps – ironic considering his animal form. She could only presume that he was a Kelvic or a mage of some sort, both dangerous species to be in Sunberth. Still, she fancied that she wouldn’t want to be the one to try and capture him in a darkened alley.

What sort of person employs killer rabbit kelvics!? she asked herself with pained curiosity. She paused when the man crossed the threshold of a building, her mind telling her to run away initially and freezing her in her tracks. It was only when she noted how there were a few men now blocking off the way she had come that she realized that she was trapped.

“Guess I have to play this out then, for better or worse. If it doesn’t go well I’ll kill myself after this. Stupid woman!” she muttered to herself as she gingerly crossed the threshold in pursuit and took in the interior.

The interior was unlike anything she imagined it would be before entering. She had gone from thinking up torture chambers to fighting circles but she had not even considered that it would be filled with a gentle light, lakes of silk and a mistress that seemed to ooze a nonchalant imperious manner, with a hint of feigned mothering perhaps for Zandelia to discern. The naked man had begun dressing now, the woman instead coming towards her as the pair of them talked quickly, quietly. Their conversation was intriguing to say the least, leaving her worried for her life without even revealing what it was she had been brought there for. It was when she was asked whether she could act that her temper, frayed as it was now, almost shattered. She looked the woman in the eyes, a silent challenge there that she – quite intelligently – did not voice. Still, her flame-filled gaze seemed to slip off of the other woman like oil across water, proving to be more of an annoyance.

“Yes, I can act if the occasion calls for it, though I hope I’m not here to be a bloody street artist” she all but snapped, regretful of the tone as soon as it slipped from her lips to meet stony silence.

She stood stock still, waiting for the quarrels to pierce her fragile form, but when none can she merely growled to herself and set about doing as she had been asked. She pulled her Shadowsilk Robes over her head to reveal her leather armor, that layer taking the longest to pull off and throw into the pile. Her normal clothing followed and she found herself naked before them, for the most part. She did not blush, did not even look at them. She instead placed her weapons into the pile too and set about dressing once more. After a number of minutes, silence reigning over them, she was clad in the tabard and undergarments – a combination she did not relish wearing. Being seen in such garb would all but scream her out as a traitor to those she hoped to use one day.

“I swear to Akajia, if I die this day I’m taking that bastard with me” she whispered under her breath as she finished tugging at her gloves and came to stand next to the man once more, “are we going to a dance? Because I warm you that there is only one dance I know well and it would probably not be liked” she asked him sarcastically, her self-control now seeming to dissipate as a sense of mania descended into her mind, sure of her impending death as it was.

oocI don't know if I was allowed weaponry so I assumed not. If it is required I can edit as needed :)

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ink on June 29th, 2012, 6:43 pm

The graceful woman circled Zandelia once, tut-ing gently beneath her breath for sighing and gathering up the spy’s things. Pulling from the pile of clothing she extracted a shady looking set of beads and fairly obvious spring blade and returned them to Zandelia before disappearing behind a wall hanging that had earlier seemed nothing more than one of the many lengths of cloth. The answer to her questions eventually came from behind, from Mr. Cotton. “You had best hope you don’t need to dance, but if you do it won’t be to music.” In his arms lay a sheath of papers which he held out. “You will be an aid of absolutely no consequence. Not difficult is it? If anyone asks you, tonight you work for Killjoy.” Tossing the cross-tied pile of papers towards her without any further ceremony, the curious Kelvic headed for the same door they had entered through.

This venture through the streets was much different than any Zandelia would ever have encountered in the Gated Community. The few thoroughfares were positively deserted, but every so often a reflection would throw off the armor of the guard’s patrolling the walls, which was all that broke up their passage. During the time it had taken for Zandelia to change the sun and had fully set, which meant not a soul dared the streets… not a soul accept the Dragoons. In contrast to their earlier ignorance of the pair, the Dragoons now treated them like fellow guards on patrol. No one stopped to accost to greet the pair, but they also didn’t avoid laying eyes upon them either.

Mr. Cotton felt no more need for conversation than he had as a rabbit apparently, for after they had left the building behind he said not a word more. In fact, whether by habit or intention, he made very little noise at all. When his stride finally slowed it was in front of one of the very few buildings with lights still burning from the windows, for any that could read a classy and stylized sign announced Ruby’s Scarlet Sanctum. Beyond those doors Cotton seemed to shrink slightly, as though the full-grown man thought it might make him disappear from notice. Eventually in his strange slinking gate, he found a plump sofa and deposited himself in it. Without taking his eyes off the floor he muttered again to Zandelia, “You have a few chimes. Don’t care what you do, just don’t bring the wenches over here.

Audibly a passing worker sniffed, Ruby’s women were prostitutes it was true but they were rarely called anything as low as wench; men paid them far too much to bed just a ‘wench’. As soon as the affronted woman scurried away, music began whisper through room from a bard’s strings and eyes turned towards the stage as a new show began.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Twister on June 7th, 2013, 10:18 am

Experience Award

Zandelia
Grade :
Experience: Observation 1, Stealth 1

Lores: Mister Cotton: Kelvic Envoy, Rae-me: Seamstress, Gated Community's Exquisite Interior, Under the watch of Killjoy

Miscellaneous: N/A

Comments: I'm sorry this thread couldn't continue on any further since I've no clue what the original purpose of it was, though it's a shame it didn't go on for longer since it looked like you were getting some interesting places. I might just keep Mister Cotton as an NPC. Who knows. ;)
If you've any questions or concerns about your grade, drop me a PM!
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)