[FLASHBACK] Ziths Suck, Humans Do Too (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Mordechai Zoltar on May 28th, 2012, 12:57 am

I looked her in the eyes and smiled.

"My ship doesn't leave until later tonight, don't you worry" I said, taking her by the hand. Her fur was soft and warm to the touch. "Let's go for walk and then you can fly a for awhile" I said, still smiling, helping this little girl be happy made me feel doubly so.

As we walked our feet made dull claps against the stone ground. People looked at us strangely. Like they were confused and angry. For a second I thought it was me. I thought they knew who I was and I grew afraid, but then I realized the longer we walked that they were scorning her. What wrong did she ever do to them?

After about half an hour we reached the city gates and walked out as two of the guards scoffed at us walking together. I returned with a grimace and a grunt that said 'back off'. I didn't know why but I felt very protective of my new friend.

After a few hours we reached a clearing.
Mordechai Zoltar
Player

Words: 30065
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aveira on May 29th, 2012, 6:03 am

Aveira was happy. She couldn't help smiling as she walked with the man. Not even the stares of the townsfolk could bring her down. After all, she was used to them. "What's your name?" she asked the man as they entered the clearing. "I'm Aveira," she told him happily.

Stepping away from him, she stretched out her wings as far as they could go. her wingspan was half again as tall as she was, dwarfing her small figure. They were pitch black and leathery like a bat's, and looked odd against her innocent demeanor.

Aveira sighed happily as her wings expanded, easing an ache that was almost always there. She always had to keep her wings cramped up in doors. Though she was able to stretch them out when she was alone, Aveira usually kept them either wrapped around her body like a cloak, or folded against her back. At first glance, it usually looked like she was wearing an odd leather outfit. Of course everyone knew what they really were.
Aveira
Player

Words: 10988
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Mordechai Zoltar on May 30th, 2012, 11:50 pm

"Me? My name is..." I hesitated. Should I tell her my real name? Or should I use another fake name like always. Why not, I thought, she was just a young girl and for some reason I felt I could trust her.

"Mordechai. And you're Averia, eh? That's a pretty name" I said smiling again. I watched in awe when she stretched out her wings. The black from her wings and the whitish grey of her coat meshed beautifully. And for a moment, she looked a lot stronger and almost proud.

I leaned up against a tree at the edge of a clearing and snapped off part of a dying limb. Breaking a piece roughly four fingers wide I pulled out my knife and began to whittle.

"Don't be shy on my account Averia, I can't wait to watch you fly!" I shouted across the clearing towards the readying, stretching girl. "By the way, I was wondering something, what are you?" I asked nonchalantly.
Mordechai Zoltar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aveira on June 1st, 2012, 9:50 pm

Smiling happily at the compliment, Aveira looked up at the man with something close to awe. Here was a human who hadn't judged her, but had instead helped her feel better. He had been afraid of her, naturally, but he hadn't let his fear blind him like the rest of the town did. She couldn't help but feel a giddy sense of happiness around him, her first friend.

She was just about to run into the air when he asked her a question. "I'm a zith," she said simply. "But I'm a good zith," she continued after a pause. As soon as she finished speaking, she took a few running steps and began to beat her wings. In seconds she was in the air, flying straight up. The wind rushed against her face, cooling the burns. The strain in her wings was heavenly after being cramped up all the time. As she broke the cloud layer, she couldn't help but whoop with joy as the icy crystals stuck to her hair and fur, leaving her glittering in the sunlight.

Doing a small midair spin, Aveira angled herself downward and let herself free fall. The wind whipped against her hair, blowing it back wildly. The water from the clouds flew off of her as she descended faster and faster. Finally, when she was just about to collide straight into the trees, she pulled up and zoomed across the tops, just skimming the branches. Her laughter rang out the entire time.

She flew through the air, practicing loops and spins and other midair tricks until her wings ached with fatigue. When she finally landed several yards away from Mordechai, she was panting heavily. Glancing up at the sun, she guessed she'd been flying for around two bells. All the tricks she'd practiced had taken her toll on her, though, and now she was physically exhausted. Still, all the fatigue in the world couldn't keep the grin off her face.
Aveira
Player

Character sheet

Postby Mordechai Zoltar on June 2nd, 2012, 12:40 am

A zith? A ZITH? I've only ever read of the zith but every word had been to the contrary of this young girl, aside from the physical description. But she was so kind, so shy. She must not have been raised by her kind or she would have already attacked me out here in the woods.

And yet I stood here, whittling the likeness of this creature of destruction, for her. A present for her. A little friend to keep with her after I leave. I take it she didn't have many of those.

I watched her fly. She was so graceful, she danced through the clouds and then suddenly she started rocketing down. It almost looked as if she were about to fall into the distant trees but she pulled up at the last second.

When she landed back near me she looked tired, but concern came over me when I heard a growl behind me. I put down the figurine I had made and silently started to ooze rez down around where I was.

"Stay back Aveira" I whispered.
Mordechai Zoltar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aveira on June 4th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Her face showed her confusion as she heard his warning. "What's wrong?" she asked, still breathing heavily. A sudden jolt of fear went through her as she realized what he'd asked her before she went flying. She'd told him she was a zith, bought she'd thought it had been obvious. Maybe he was only being nice to her because he thought she was just some deformed human or half human creature. Maybe he was going to take back all of his kindness now.

The fear she felt was washed away to be replaced by sorrow. He was her first friend, and it seemed as if she had already lost him. The world of adults is a scary place after all, she mused. Because she was zith, she was inferior to others. Because she was zith, she was meant to be feared and shunned. Being zith did not make her strong; it made her weak.

Relaxing her body, she gazed at Mordechai with an open expression, her love for him visible. She was not old enough to feel romantic love; instead, she felt for him a deep affection and gratitude. Had she been raised human, she might have called this the love between members of a family or close friends. Because Aveira had never felt this love, she did not have a name for it. She only knew that if he wanted her life, he could take it.

I'm not an adult, she acknowledged silently, but I am not a child either. Sinking to the ground, Aveira sat and waited. If the man decided he wanted to kill her, she would not resist. He had shown her a kindness that she had never known. Aveira would do anything to repay this man, even if it meant her death.
Aveira
Player

Character sheet

Postby Mordechai Zoltar on June 4th, 2012, 11:13 pm

The growls must have gone unnoticed by Aveira, as she just looked in confusion and then sunk to the ground. She seemed sad. My res had created a small wall behind me. And as quickly as it was layed down I heard a bark and a jump from behind.

I ignited the res and rolled forward, Grabbing Aveira and picking her up. "WE HAVE TO GO!" I said to her as the wolves behind us started to round the fire, though the one who jumped caught the brunt of my defence and was singed quite badly.

I slung the child over my shoulder so she now rode piggy-back. I took off into the trees with her, trying to go the way we came. I had to protect her.
Mordechai Zoltar
Player

Character sheet

Previous