Learning from the Darkness(Cailet)

Cailet takes Antar to visit the tower of akajia

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Antar on May 26th, 2012, 4:06 am

38th of Spring, 512av.

Antar waited restlessly on the bench in Rookery Park pondering how soon he and Shai were to leave on their journey back to the north. There were secrets there to uncover and to discover. Personal secrets, shrouded in a history of lies and the banality of the human, or in Shai's case, Symenestran intrigues that she would not fully explain. A rationale that prompted her to ask him if they could keep moving on. It spoke to him of riddles and riddles and secrets of her own that he wanted to discover.

But he was torn right now. Torn in his decision and reasons to stay or go.

Antar did not have much luck finding a job that was worthwhile to hone his skills yet. Sure they were there, but he was locked in contention with the fact that anything too transient was not worth his time and could prove far more dangerous then he thought. Something was driving Shai, and yet her idea of moving from city to city appealed to his survival instincts as well. He had been on the run before... but why did he seem indecisive now?

The rogue rationalized it was because he felt that Riverfall had so much more to offer him then what he'd seen in his stay so far. As if there were so many secrets to discover. Avenues to explore... he still wished to study the architecture of the towers and that had brought him up here. To rookery park... with Ellise upon his shoulder, merely standing as she gazed at the gulls in the far off waters of the sea. He wasn't sure if they were nesting now... but he had warned the falcon kelvic not to stir from his shoulder. Hunting could come later, but hunting on the cliffs of the bay was dangerous. Not for the bird's flight, but rather that he wasn't ever guaranteed that the akalak guards wouldn't try to shoot down a falcon if it began preying on seabirds.

But at least from here, he gained a bit of a view of the city.

For the moment, he stared wistfully at the far off towers that dotted Riverfall's landscape as was merely content to simply be.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cailet on May 31st, 2012, 5:19 pm

It was hard for Cailet to leave her days as a Shinya behind. Hours upon hours of guard duty and patrolling left the woman feeling restless when she was idle for too long. Riverfall was... intimidating compared to her sparkly home, to say the least. With her years of travel long behind her, the Nightstalker found the lack of familiar sights and sounds unsettling.

And so she prowled. Clad in her white, loose fitting pants that allowed for freedom of movement, a white leather chest-guard strapped to her chest, Cailet did little to blend in. Everything about her was foreign; the way she talked was odd, the way those brown eyes were never still and always wary, and especially her clothing. Oh, and the fact that she wasn't blue.

The Akalaks were the biggest surprise. Having read up on the race before she made her initial journey, the big men were nothing except extraordinary. Cailet found herself staring at those that passed by with a mixture of interest and awe before she caught herself enough to wipe the stupid look off her face. For an independent woman whose attitude assured that she would be left alone, the wide-eyed thing was saying a lot. More than she would ever openly admit.

With the sun nearly at its zenith, the skies clear and the weather warm to boot, the roads were becoming crowded. Too crowded. Pressed on either side by strange bodies, Cailet started to feel the world press in on her too; the sky was too low, the warmth and smell of so many people suddenly much too strong. Gathering herself before her body could reject her lunch in the face of the claustrophobia, Cailet ducked between two huge men carrying what looked like a table and scooted off the side of the road with as much decorum as she could muster.

Rookery Park lay ahead, the greenery beckoning her with welcome and sanctuary from the crowds. Not having realized she was holding her breath until it was all expelled in a huge sigh, the tall woman straightened her shoulders, clasped her hands behind her back and strode into the park. It wouldn't do for more people to see her loose her cool.

A simple circuit was taken following the intended flow of the park. There were few people here, a blessing to be sure. It wasn't until Cailet reached the end of her loop, a faint salty breeze from the sea tickling her nose and tangling in her hair, did she see him.

Antar stood with his back to her, looking off into the distance; pensive, quiet like she. Perhaps he was escaping too. The moment between one footfall and the next had Cailet torn between passing on by before she was seen or approaching. But her leather shoes were but a whisper on the ground as she left the path and moved up behind Antar, far enough to the side that he would see her from the corner of his eye.

The wind was more insistant now, tugging locks of her long hair into her face and obstructing her view. Deft movements had it up and secured into a bun on the top of her head as the Nightstalker stopped next to the rogue.

"Rogue." It was a soft word, and not at all condescending. Just a statement of fact and hardly a hello. A lot had happened. They had struggled through it together. The words should have come easily, but Cailet stood silent, lips pressed into a firm line, the barest of nods tilted in his direction.

You're hopeless And a sigh from a shadow beneath a nearby tree.
Blue is Cailet...
Purple is Everyone else...
Italics is Amanda...
Bold are the shadows, ever whispering...
Cailet
We know.

Words: 99246
Joined roleplay: November 3rd, 2010, 3:23 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on June 3rd, 2012, 12:35 am

"Warrior." The rogue responded in kind. For the merest of moments after that Antar did nothing to reply but give a small nod of courtesy to the woman who had come to rookery park. Though he still looked far out into the horizon watching the gulls soar amidst the air currents. They made it seem like their journey through life was effortless; like leaves in the wind.

He envied that.

Pressing upon his knees the rogue rose to his full height, feeling Ellise shift upon his shoulder, and once using her craw to grab a bit of his hair to keep herself steady. The bird did seem to possess a brain at times... even if it was a little damaged in the head. Noth couldn't fault the young falcon though, it was just another bit of reality he was oftimes forced to face head-on.

Clearing his throat, Antar turned his attention back to the woman who had just arrived. "I'd like to thank you for meeting me here today. I admit, I'm surprised you actually came. I thought asking you here would have been ignored. Even if I am just curious about certain things..."

The rogue trailed off as Ellise warbled a slight trill on his shoulder and chuffed his hair a bit to punctuate her desires. Absentmindedly, Antar reached up to scratch her feathered breast as he finished the usual social inclinations.

Sighing a little inwardly, he wonderef if it would be counted an intrusion to see if his presence unnerved the woman. So for just a moment, he allowed his senses to pause and simply appraise the woman before him. Her attire was... clean. Functional. Chosen to allow the greatest aptitude of movement rather then concentrate on a stance of armor or mixed defense and mobility. It spoke wonders, and yet did not speak much at all. Steadying himself internally, his mind calmed itself with a bit of experience as his gaze lingered to her arms where he was almost certain he remembered she had sustained a few injuries. "How are you today? Everything well and healed by now?"

Thinking it prudent to be sure, Antar took the time it would take for her answer to slip into the briefest trance in order to bring her aura into being. Only to find a swirling cascade of pleasant , if steady green hues swirling about each other over her.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cailet on June 5th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Meeting him here today...?

"Oh!" the exclimation was more of a loosed sigh than anything else, slender fingers lifting to her forehead as Cailet put her face in her palm. "That's today." This was said under her breath, soft enough that the man wouldn't be able to make out her words. It was alright though; they were all used to the strange woman talking to things no one else could see by now.

Antar had asked her to take them through the Night Tower. And she had completely forgotten. Makath rolled from her tongue as her chocolatey gaze flickered to the shadow under the tree; it had previously hidden beneath her hair, but there was no space for it now that the wavy black mass was piled atop her head.

"You were supposed to remind me."

What do I look like to you?

"Useless." Was the sighed response before Cailet turned to fully face her companion. "Why, exactly, are we going again?" The Tower intimidated Cailet, not that she would ever admit such a thing; it would ruin the quiet, dangerous air of self confidence she had worked so long to wrap into her aura.

It was the sheer amount of Akajia's presence that caused Cailet's hesitation. She had only just begun to gain those shadowy deciples trust; being able to see through dark shrouds meant nothing if the creatures that inhabited them didn't want you there.

There was no point waisting any more time while they discussed their plans, nor did Cailet want the man to think she'd forgotten. Acting as if she had purposefully sought him out, the young woman turned on her heel with a gesture to follow as she responded.

"I seem to have healed fine." Though a bleated response, the mention of the injury made her arm flex on it's own, a quick tingle running along the nerves as if someone had just lightly stroked her skin. Cailet didn't like talking about it. Weakness was not okay, and so, as usual, Cailet deflected the conversation away from herself.

"You seem to have recovered fairly well. Where is Shai?"
Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on June 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Antar sighed a moment, considering Cailet's words as he reached up to give Ellise a good scratching which brought a little trill from the falcon who was watching Cailet with interest. "Shai is actually preparing for our leaving Riverfall soon. She wishes to go to another city, I think she's looking for something but hasn't told me exactly what. It's just one of her secrets."

Antar's brow furrowed, "That's also one of the reasons I wish to enter the tower, to perhaps here a few words of counsel from those who might walk within on what to do with her as well as get a better understanding of akajia from your perspective. "

Antar gestured offhandedly backwards to the sea, "Out there in the world, its not like you can find anything definitive on learning about a religion. Many people have many different views on the gods and goddesses, some right, some wrong. Some just only form their opinions from partial bits of information. So... " Antar trailed off as he turned back towards Cailet, just gazing at her for a moment as he steeled himself.

"In my former life, before Alvadas, before Sunberth, I never really visited this city. Never studied its history, its art, its culture, nor its religions. In fact I never really considered more then an odd prayer to akajia to keep the darkness encloaking me as I ventured on some... rather unsavory tasks that were a necessity to keep myself alive. I've never even had the chance to ask whether those words ever reached her, or if she ever helped. Being in this city, even if I prayed back then, I realize I don't have as well as an understanding as I should of her." Antar shrugged towards Cailet, "Perhaps I feel if I don't seek out those who might help me to a better understanding such as yourself, that it will mark me a coward for rest of my life. So before I leave this city, I know I will approach the tower if I can, with honest questions in my heart and soul.. and if I'm turned aside by those within then so be it."

He cocked his head slightly to the side as Ellise ruffled his hair, seeming as animals did to know when their masters were upset about something, "At least I know I did not spend my last day in this city vainly or in fear as I saught out the secrets to a better understanding. At least I will not judge myself the weaker for the attempt. So, Cailet, if I may ask... what brought you to Akajia?"
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cailet on June 22nd, 2012, 12:56 am

The pair kept pace as they made their way through the crowd together, walking fast enough to keep up with most of the traffic, but slow enough that the more speedy individuals had to step around them. Cailet met more than one irritated glance as the annoyed persons stepped back into place infront of them; such glares did nothing to intimidate the hard woman, though some did cause the very corners of her mouth to twitch towards a smile.

'Ah's and 'Oh's and thoughtful 'Mmhmm's filled the spaces between Antars words. It was a polite kind of silence tinged on the very edges with an awkwardness that was also apparent in the rigid set of her shoulders. Cailet wasn't good at the whole...talking thing. Especially not when the subject turned towards herself.

Biting at her bottom lip, Cailet kept those chocolate eyes focused forward, flickering left and right as she sought something to hold her attention. Anything but Antar. The rogue was staring at her intently, and she could feel it on the hairs that stood on the back of her neck. A shadow giggled and was completely ignored.

"I didn't." Was the only response the man got for a while. The cogs were spinning wildly within the woman's mind; a barrier of some kind formed between her mind and her tongue when forced to talk about herself. Secluded as a child, Cailet had never quite grasped the niceties of social protocol. From the park to the Night Tower, there was silence between them.

There it was.

Stopping in her tracks, Cailet clasped her hands behind her back and spread her feet to shoulders width. Stray wisps of ebony hair that had escaped their confinements tickled her cheeks as the woman stared up at the Night Tower. On the outskirts of the city, it was an impressive sight to be sure.

"What do you see?" The words were soft, almost hesitantly spoken. In all her time in Riverfall, Cailet had avoided this place. It had taken Antar's suggestions to bring her here at all, and even then she had initially resisted. The thought of her Goddess's temple overwhelmed the lithe warrior and it was hard for her to say why. A dark sort of uncertainty twisted in her gut, an alien feeling and one she did not like.

To be sure, Antar couldn't see what Cailet could; the shadow tower held little mystery to the Nightstalker. She could see the fine details that was cloaked by darkness to all others. Akajia's presence was in every crevasse, every stone. Mixing in the constant chittering of the shadows and Cailet felt gooseflesh creeping up her arms.

"I didn't choose her. She chose me. I didn't even know who she was, at first. It took another Nightstalker finding me before I even knew what was going on..." The sentence trailed, but Cailet's mouth hung open as if she had more to say. The words were there, but they would not leave her tongue; she could easily tell Antar of Dhatzu, how he had sensed the mark on her back before she had even known there was anything different. But she wouldn't. It would mean admitting hearing voices prior to those whisperings of the shadows that surrounded them. Sure, Amanda had shown herself to all those present that fateful morning, but for the majority of her life, Cailet had thought it was all in her head. Even to this day, it took careful thinking in order to convince herself that it still wasn't all in her head. Haunted was not a word Cailet would have previously used to describe herself.

"It took another showing me. So I guess this is fitting."
Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on June 23rd, 2012, 6:39 pm

When the woman gave him a one word answer to the proliferous amounts of verbage of questions he had asked, the rogue would smile gently as he watched her. She didn't seem to be the sort to speak much. Almost as if she was embarassed by the majority of social interactions. So perhaps he could help her with that as a means of repaying her gracious acquiescence to lead him to akajia's tower and speak of such things.

When the stroll began, Antar would patter over to Cailet's side and gently take her arm into the crook of his elbow. He teasingly whispered, "Lead on, fair guide of the city. Lead on and I shall follow."

The walk itself was a blessed amount of silence, and there were a few who peered at them on the streets, though truth be told it only added to the rogue's growing sense of amusement. He was a rogue you see, and thus it was almost necessary to engage in some teasing, if harmless flirtation whenever he seemed to come acrosss someone locked in their own shell.

But only Shai so far possessed the keys to his. The journey was passed in a peaceful silence as the man said nothing, merely looking around , making sure never to meet the former shinya's eyes save when they seemed to wander past his own.

So when the voice of the chocolate eyed angel of his newest friendly acquaintaince spoke softly, he could not help but grin. "What do you see?"

With exaggerated carefulness he stepped out in front of Cailet and turned towards her, his eyes taking on a discerning look tinged with amusement as she seemed to avert her chocolate hued gaze from his. "Hmm... I see a feature of chiseled soft stone accentuated nicely by shades of colored pink shadows cast in syna's bright light. Yet not seemingly acquainted with having many people interested in delving into their mysteries... Oh wait a moment, you were talking about the tower?"

Antar paused a moment, slyly shifting his shoulders just enough where he could glanceupwards to the skyline of the city and keep her in view as well. He curled the fingers of one hand up under his chin, lightly tapping at his cheek as if he was pondering something. The tower rose seemingly above the heavens of the bluff, yet wrapped in a shadow of silhoettes. It's external features obscured, enhanced, and made all the more beautiful to a craftsmen like himself. He wondered how many years the denizens of Riverfall had toiled to help build the magnificent edifice.

Ellise seemed to enjoy the experience, balanced as she was, as she looked between the both of them and then the tower itself to pronounce a small warble of joy. "I guess you could say , that the tower is enshrouded by shadows, and the craftsman in me can appreciate the visual, if alluring , effect. It's well preserved, and well taken care of. Like much love was put into its making, whether by the denizens of the city or another set of beings I don't know. I'd have to learn its history to gain a better understanding. It's appearance of shadows reminds me of being similar to something I can only now place- like any woman, who enjoys hiding their secrets. It' s just more fun to figure it out."

For a brief moment the rogue's face would flash a genuine, and heartwarming smile towards the seemingly skittish Cailet as he trailed off, "much like my present company I imagine."

He waited for her to speak again, nodding politely as she told him she was the chosen, not the chooser and how another had shown her her current path. "Well, my dear Cailet. That strikes a chord with me. Indeed, we all must be shown something by someone or something to learn. I take great pleasure in knowing something can be taught, even if it might take some time to study. You can only -ah- gain certain experiences He stressed the word 'experiences', giving Cailet a slight wink as the falcon on his shoulder seemed to trill a bit with laughter."in life if you seek out others to teach you. Much as one might shyly find a teacher, or a lover, or..." Half lidded eyes watched her amusingly to see if a spark of embarrassment might show as he stressed the last part, " even someone to talk to as a friend. You'd be surprised how many people in this world find it so difficult to just talk to someone. Are you one such person my dear?"

With a bit of amusement, the rogue would take her arm back under the crook of his elbow and turned back towards the tower so they stood shoulder to shoulder. The kelvic seemed to think the entire thing was rather humorous and tentatively stretched a clawed foot down to shift its perch to Cailet's shoulders before swiveling her head down to blink lazily as she stared into Cailet's right eye.

Antar paid it no mind, as if it was a common thing the falcon did. "The tower truly is remarkable. Don't you agree we should be off to see what's inside? I still do wish to maybe meet a priest or two. Oh, and don't mind Ellise, she just wants to be friendly. It seems she's taking a shine to you a bit, just like she does with a few of my other... friends, shall I say? You should know she probably just thinks you're rather interesting. I guess I'd have to agree to that idea as well."
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cailet on June 29th, 2012, 9:31 pm

The compliments seemed to have no resounding effect upon the woman. In one ear, out the other one might say. With her gaze still locked on the tower before them, it wasn't until Antar was done speaking that she gave him a sidelong glance. There was a faint flush on her cheeks, nearly invisible to those who weren't looking for it, her eyes taking on a faraway look as they clouded with mild confusion. The rogues arm was warm beneath her hand. She didn't like it, but found herself floundering for reasons to pull her arm away. What was going on?

"Yes... The tower." Even her voice held an edge of confusion. Had he been talking about her? Cailet intentionally distanced herself from most everyone else, holding her tongue and keeping her own secrets locked away...but was it that obvious?

The flatteries continued, Antar's coy posturing and subtle looks mostly wasted on the oblivious woman, but some of them did strike true, her blush only deepening. Should he comment on it, she would shortly equate it to the heat of the day, and nothing more. He waxed about the tower, and Cailet listened carefully. It wasn't a light step, taking a non-Stalker into the deep shadows of her Mistress's tower. But Antar's words held a note of reverence that made the woman bow her head in agreement.

"Talking is overrated. It doesn't get much done, am I right?" She turned and looked at him fully then, pulling her arm from his in what she hoped was a smooth motion, using that hand to gesture around them. "We are here, yet we have not entered. Because of talk. What is so important about it?" Cailet was under the assumption that she had gotten along just fine without an overabundance of human interaction. Shunned from an early age because of her very obvious quirks, such as talking to a ghost no one else could see, it's hard to miss what you've never had.

Cailet turned back to the tower just as Antar took her arm once more, pulling the woman up short. Stiffening immediately, the woman turned and looked at him over her shoulder, brown eyes snapping. "Not many dare to touch me." There wasn't malice in those words, nor an underlying threat. Just the truth. Around them, and unknown to Antar, the shadows chittered angrily in response to the Nightstalkers tone. It was something Cailet had never heard before, these insubstantial creatures defending her; it startled her out of her defensive stance, a look of wonder flashing across her face before it was carefully wiped away.

"Alright. It's time." If Antar had removed his hand under Cailet's fierce gaze, he would have to step quickly to match the woman's long strides. If he hadn't, he was nearly dragged along as they approached the tower. The shadows seemed to condense the closer the pair got, though it was no matter for the Nightstalker. She could see clearly through what others saw as darkness. Even the deep shadows that lingered at the very base of the tower gave her little issue; it was different than walking through shadows cast by a building or tree. These shadows were wholly something else. Alive.

The door appeared before them, Cailet having to step into the non-shadows before even she could see it. When those eyes fell upon the entrance, she gave pause and a glance at Antar. She couldn't tell if the rogue looked nervous but even she didn't feel completely comfortable in the presence of so much power. "How are you faring? Scared yet?" Was that a smile?
Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on July 1st, 2012, 12:14 am

Ellise crooned a little dejectedly as hesitantly Cailet pulled herself away from the falcon, and Antar before the kelvic could transfer her perch. Before they entered the tower, Antar pulled his arm free of Cailet’s and vaulted in front of her before apologizing with a slight bow at the waist at speaking in a rather blunt, yet apologetic tone. The falcon fluttered a bit to keep her perch, arcing one wing behind antar’s head to help maintain her balance. “I’m sorry my dear almond eyed friend, it’s not every day I’m tempted to hang on the arm and words of a beautiful woman. Though please, please do not take anything amiss from it. I mean you absolutely no harm and certainly do not , - erh- desire anything of sorts of an amorous nature of your affections. It’s just as I said I think your interesting. I believe Ellise, the falcon on my shoulder, thinks so too, hence why she was attempting to transfer her perch to your shoulder when I took your arm again. However, I do have to consider the other question you posed.“

He pondered and stood up as she continued to take a step towards the tower, and he lengthened his stride to match, letting his long gait keep up with hers. “You see, to me my friend, words are important. They are like any tool or weapon in one’s arsenal, each swing or use achieving a differtn purose with an individual or steps of a waltz within a group. They have the power to sway a crowd, to defuse a dangerous situation, or to convey another’s thoughts and to share one’s amusement with those worthy enough to see you as a person, an individual.”
As the tower steadily grew in his sight as they approached, walking down the stone of Riverfall’s upper echelon of cliffs towards the magnificent edifice of Akajia’s tower. He did look ahead, trying to memorize the sight as if to encode it permanently into his memories as he continued his explanations, “ At the most though everyone who seeks to protect themselves should be able to use them properly, and to guard themselves against them too. People in this world are selfish, only the few who might be made of some material to respect your personage as a friend, who, after being told that you were uncomfortable with something they take for granted would not put upon you again. You said that few would dare to touch you. So I apologize. I do not wish you to be discomforted around me. Even if I’m ‘wordy’. Shai says that’s one of my , well, many vices. But where was I?”

They would turn a corner and Antar would launch into the rest of his explanation, going a mile a minute, much like some young child fascinated with a topic of his understanding. “Yes, now I remember, there are dangers to words as well, especially if they are used with malicious intent towards you and yours Cailet, and I believe that everyone should improve themselves enough to know such times. Other times, even if there is no risk to you and yours, words might be purported as harmless, yet their bearers fill them with an emptiness behind them that is deigned to place a veneer of kindness and likeability to them. Or worse, those who wish to use others. I believe you, and I mean myself as well that you should learn to recognize such people fast, and improve your own ability to use words lest you fall prey to such vapid personages.”

The rogue sighed a moment, letting the weariness show in his voice, “However, despite the drawbacks many bits of communication there are true times where words, and even physical contact are meant to convey themselves with a much nicer overtone. These words are those used meant for comforting another, and helping convey amusement and the simple pleasure of being within a friendly person’s company.”He let out a short bark of laughter, chuckling at his own deficiencies as he continued,” In regards to myself , Shai says I can get quite ‘clingy’ when I’m nervous in company I trust, and there’s no malice to it. It’s formed from a desire to know that I am simply not alone at such times, and believe you me, walking into Akajia’s tower does indeed make me a little nervous.” At his expressed discomfort, Ellise trilled a bit and nudged a bit of his hair, in a manner that seemed to calm the rogue in a way that he allowed few to do. “I never was one to have many friends. Though I might share the reasons with you for that as it’s tangled up in why I feel such reverence for the shadows that represent Akajia’s realm. Maybe I’ll tell you when we’re inside. I But that weakness of wanting comfort is the small bit of empathy I have left that tends to gravitate towards those I don’t view as threatening when they portray themselves as being comfortable. Even taking someone’s hand in one’s hand in my own is just one way I’m learning to convey such things. I guess you could say, even from our brief times I see a little bit of my past in you, Cailet. I used to not be as ‘chatty’ and hated words but was forced by necessity to learn later on to fool people. So it’s rare when I find myself lowering my defenses enough to speak cordially to another now with no strings attached. I don’t know why, but when I see someone with a similar problem, it just matters. Perhaps it is the smallest bit of gold left in a heart and soul blackened by the past. But it does matter. Even as you’re helping me, I feel inclined to help those who provoke such a response from me.” Though what was left unsaid was that the rogue rarely allowed anyone into the category of ‘those he trusted not to stab him in the back’, only her actions during the time they had fought together had ventured her into the ‘safe’ zone of those he viewed. She was just too quiet and naturally shy about dealing with others that she didn’t even seem to be a threat to him. That didn’t discount the fact that Cailet was still in the ‘might slap him one day’ category that well, almost all pretty women were somewhat kept in, even if he didn’t have any ‘designs’ upon their virtues. It was odd, but Shai’s company just seemed to be making him slowly gravitate towards being a one woman rogue, though it was too his proverbial horror that he might ever admit that small idea. Still, even his lady symenestra knew if he wasn’t going to order, it didn’t mean he wouldn’t begrudge himself from looking at the menu so to speak. Cailet , without a doubt, was a looker. Keeping one eye on her, he smiled as the resident flush of her cheeks seemed to not have been abated so far onto their little trip to the tower… “I even tend to give silly little nicknames to those I know aren’t a threat to me, or those who I seem to garnish a small amount of platonic affection for. I wonder, what nickname would you perchance get in the future?”

He paused as they stood in front of the tower, “Still, I should only be fair to inform you that nothing attracts attention like evasive behavior. Your back seems to stiffen your posture when thinking about something that miffs you, and even though you keep your council and try to be stoic the flush of your cheeks is s telltale giveaway. “ He smiled, “You my dear Cailet, are a good looking woman, who is blushing.”
"No I'm not!" the woman exclaimed with a bashful averting of her eyes , looking anywhere but him as she pondered his words, "It's just the heat!"

"My friend, Almond Eyes," Antar said as he chuckled as he tested a new nickname for his newest companion of the day, "I hope you can take my friendly sparring of words with amusement instead of ire. They are not meant to offend you, only to give credit where credit is due. My comments of your beauty are classified in the language of words as 'flattery' and may be quite useful to you later to learn to spar with them if you ever wish to secure yourself a mate." With a wry smile , intending to engender some comfort to his guide, he gave her a small wink and pressed on. "Though I completely jest when I say whether or not such a thing would ever occur only by force is something only you could know. I'm not on the market as the expression goes, I just intend to help you loosen up as the sayings go and learn to express yourself a bit. Be aware though, flattery, such as many words can be a weapon, it could cut you, perhaps even make you love a person that only seeks your downfall, or allow you to grow closer to one who only wishes your happiness. I suggest you find the latter to serve you well, any fool who would chide and not cherish you wouldn’t deserve you as a friend or a lover. I spent most of my young life dealing with a naysayer who’s sole purpose was to bring me down and make me feel small. Even after I escaped and was brought into the grip of another organization, they did much the same. But I do remember the brief times that I felt the darkness of the shadows sheltering me when I hid from those that broke my body, but not my spirit. "

For a moment, Antar saw her stance alter, her tense muscles becoming slighter, perhaps as she thought upon his words. He truly had no intentions of harming her, even though he was seemingly being a busybody. He merely smiled and nodded and would make further apologetic remarks and if she needed it, being blunter in his defining his intentions. When they seemed to become ensconced deeper into the sweltering shadows, a small pit opened itself in the pit of his stomach and he stammered out a reply to her asking if he was scared.
“Am I nervous or fearful? Yes, but not wholly from the ensconcing embrace of the shadows, I must say I’m thankful for you bringing me here. I’m nervous of the memories this sheltering darkness brings back . The darkness here stirs the feelings of fear as my half-sister, brother, and I hid from our drunk of stepfather. To us, the place under the stairs was like shelter in a storm, the darkness of the shadows hiding us even in the times we risked a small candle during his rages. I remember my sister hiding there even when-“ He broke off and his eyes took a faraway look, before he shook himself. “even at the end of my time in that house. I fled to the streets. “
He did not wish to tell Cailet of the last fight with his stepfather. The man who had married his mother had taken his ire at his wife’s first son’s existence out on all his children. Constantly berating, and beating him for no reason, always saying that Antar was as useless as his unknown father. He never had figured out how his mother had conceived him, as there was no information on his ‘sire.’ But that was beside the point, in that last fight with his stepfather, Antar had killed the man when he had broken his little step brother’s arm the day before and had been in enough of a rage that Antar had thought he was going to kill his half-sister and his mother. That was the day he had stepped out of the shadows that had protected them for so long when he had come home that fateful morning. He had grabbed a sharp tool off his father’s locksmithing workbench and… and… slit the man’s throat in defense of his mother and siblings before running out into the streets. It had been a year living as one of the dreg’s of society before he had seen his sister again, seeing her being accosted by the youthful nobles of Ravok, and eventually killed before his eyes as he fought them. Eventually, he succumbed to numbers, had a few of his ribs broken and was thrown into the waters of the canals, only to swear revenge as he struggled to surface and pull his battered body into the shadows underneath one of the causeway bridges. Keeping to shadows as he cried in his pain and grief. That night he had stumbled into a cloaked figure swearing revenge as a fever took him, and the man asked if he wanted that revenge. He had said yes… and the rest was history. It had been many years since he had thought of his sister, and her brown hair and eyes, She had possessed the warmest brown eyes he could remember, filled with warmth and hope, and a gentle nature that was the antithesis of his drunken stepfather’s no matter what pain her life had made her suffer. ‘Just like Cailet’s eyes were… was that the reason he seemed at ease around her?’ “Sorry I’m just wool gathering. The last time I saw my stepfather I took to the streets of my hometown and for a year existed as a thief, pickpocket and laborer. Though not many people would allow a ten year old the opportunity for some real work. When I was eleven well, let’s just say that my last view of my sister was when she was accosted by some ‘privileged fops’ who sought to take her life and her virtues.I fought them, killed one at least that’s what I remember. The details are blurry, but I do recall hearing my ribs cracking before they threw me into the waters, and only survived by crawling into the shadows under a bridge. I thought they’d come back and take my life as well. That attack upon her, well, it’s the reason no woman or man will ever have to fear that they’d be… plundered in my presence. I’d kill any rapist in my vicinity and do it with a smile. ”

He did not press himself to speak further for a while, merely standing in silence as he wrung his hands, “These are memories I do not like to talk about, something I’d only considered sharing with Shai before. In fact, after this I think I will share it. I never did get all of those boys who murdered my sibling, and I still don’t know what happened to my stepbrother. But somehow, being here just reminds me of that comfort where we hid. Though it is only one example of such memories, as I relive the fact that later on in life, after I was taken, and trained by those people to kill… and use that accursed magic. I … “ He paused a moment, his brow furrowing as he sighed loudly, slapping his forehead with the palm of his hand as Ellise crooned another bit of reassurance. “I remember the elements of the next time and place I was shut in darkness for months as ‘penance’ for not achieving what they wanted. Not even shadows could pierce that cell if I remember, save for one time of day when syna’s light was just nearing sunset , or Leth’s visage was about to rest again through a hole in the corner. For those months, there was nothing to me but a time where the nothingness of the situation pervaded my bones and soul. Truly, I had wished to die back then, to face simple extermination, but for those times… even if I found out the light brought in was only an illusion of mirrors, I gave thanks for it. For it and the colors of the shades of grey illuminated a mind slowly going mad. Just as I prayed every other time to Akajia then, I thanked syna and leth as well. It was eventually the only way I could tell the passage of time, until they took even those slight comforts away. By the time I was released for a ‘second chance’ months had passed by.”

Antar gave Cailet a wry shrug within the darkening tide of shadows, “That’s the way I feel when I’m here besides this tower, I’m reminded of times of pain, and times of small graces that were hidden within such happenings. That’s why, if I’m here, I’d like to see a priest or priestess, perhaps then I would be able to at least pass along my thanks to akajia for giving my mother, sister, and brother at least a year more of life and sheltering them when they hid. Even if I’m unsure of where the two surviving ones are now. I never did get to my sister’s funeral. Perhaps… perhaps if I return to Ravok I will seek my mother and stepbrother out again.” He made a short bark of laughter, directed at himself for dealing with such somber things. “Though only the gods could know how to get any information from that city’s stones.”

All this time a sullen look had passed upon his features, his brow furrowed by the thoughts Cailet’s question had brought, but he banished it with a wan smile towards the woman and his gaze softened a little. ”I’m sorry, forgive my rudeness of dwelling on the past. As a nervous person though, yes, I do feel sort of disquieted in the tower’s presence, simply because it seems so imposing, both a place of danger, and shelter though I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s the memories, perhaps it’s just the present. But perhaps, it would be best to ask two boons from you if you would allow me too: When you do guide me into this place, may I ask you to at least hold a poor child’s hand, to bolster their courage, as you lead on into the sweltering shelter of the shadows? And…” he stressed the last word, ”If I may be allowed to ask, what do you feel in this place?”

Noth turned and waited, taking a wait and see approach to what reaction his words would be, merely scratching the kelvic’s feathers as he held out a hand to Cailet. Amidst his jumbled thoughts he was deep down merely hoping to at least not brave the darkness on his own, though he would if he must… He owed that much to his past, and his thanks should be heard. Perhaps Cailet being his guide here would serve to assist him in coming face to face with the echoes of his own past.Even if he couldn't suppress a small shudder of anticipation for entering a place truly unknown.
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cailet on July 13th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Through all of it, Cailet stood mostly silent. Grunts of affirmation or agreement were sprinkled in during the short pauses Antar took, but on the whole the woman just stood and watched. With her arms crossed loosely over her chest, Cailet had achieved a comfortable stance and maintained almost perfect stillness throughout; it was her version of polite, as her mother had always told her to "shut up and listen".

Those intelligent brown eyes tracked the man's every motion as he spilled his secrets to her. Oh yes, Cailet hadn't failed to notice that her quasi silence had loosened Antars tongue more effectively than if she had poured alcohol down his throat. Granted, the Nightstalker hadn't been aiming for secrets from the man, whom she considered a friend even though such a thing would not be openly admitted, but who was she to deny such freely given information.

Still, a small smile crept to the corners of her lips as the stories continued, lengthening from philosophy to reminiscence. Some people just enjoyed talking, the sound of a voice, any voice, comforting in it's noise. Those were obviously the easiest secrets to procure, though it took a lot of the work out of the whole ordeal. No matter, Cailet had enough suppressed curiosity to last her multiple lifetimes and it left her listening in rapt, if passive, attention.

When the rogue stopped talking, turning fully back towards the lithe woman and inclining his head in such a way that Cailet knew from experience meant his words were spent, she crossed her arms tighter to her chest, a protective gesture, as if she was hugging something closer to hers. Eyes narrowing as she considered the man for a long moment, she let the silence stretch between them.

Just when it got to the point of being awkward, when perhaps Antar was wondering if she had fallen asleep with her eyes open, Cailet let out a small sigh and shifted her stance minutely, a slight twitch of her hips. Though she hadn't been trying to make a point, she surely had. "Words are dangerous. Period. What you say, you cannot undo. It can be used against you, to hurt you, to hurt others. You can use them to do harm, sometimes far worse harm than if you were to just stab the heart and get it over with."

A thoughtful expression crossed over her face then, the jut of her hip extending a little further, the crossing of her arms loosening just a bit. "There is no ire here." Though she wouldn't, couldn't, respond to everything he had thrown at her, Cailet knew she should at least address that. A wrinkle of her nose was the only outward sign of the woman's discomfort, the rest a jumble of inner turmoil as she sought the words she needed. "I'm not an easy friend. I..." Another pause, as Cailet had always found it extremely difficult to talk about herself or to characterize herself. "... am different, and people usually can't quite put their finger on why. It makes them automatically wary." A single roll of her shoulder by way of shrug and Cailet shifted her hips again.

"You tell me a lot of yourself... you could have just put it in a book, for me to read at my leisure." A small smile twitched those lips, a sharp sparkle in those brown eyes, if only for a moment. "You do not know I won't use it against you. That trust is unwise, rogue. Very unwise." She wasn't looking for a response or an excuse. She had the information now and could do with it what she will. It was given freely, perhaps aided by the aura of the place. The shadows around the tower had grown still and quiet; listening, no doubt, and gathering the information spilled here. A chocolate eye was tiled towards the entrance, a silent wave of respect towards the power of this place issuing from the woman.

"It would be wrong if you were not nervous. You do not know what lies ahead, and it would be foolish to assume that everything is all right. I, on the other hand, feel at home here." It wasn't said as a boast or a brag, but simply stated as the woman turned to look back at the tower. "We have lingered long enough." And with that she stepped forward, into the shadows that hid nothing from her and towards the door that Antar could not possibly see. "Come, hurry and take my hand if you want. But I'm not waiting."

The entrance was easy enough to get to, easier still to pass through. With Antar in tow, Cailet stepped quickly into the shadowed space beyond the door. A small, barely audible gasp was forced from the woman's lips as she stepped foot inside; a very uncharacteristic sound for the stoic Cailet. But the shadows... they were so dense here. And quiet. Not the eery kind of quiet that settles upon a room when something isn't right, but a poignant, knowing kind of quiet that settles on ones shoulders and gives a feeling of comfort and unease all at once. Cailet could almost taste her Mistresses presence.

"Wow." Came the murmur. "It's so powerful."
Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next