The Not So Big Hunt (Zahlee/Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Creeper on June 2nd, 2012, 1:41 am

Timestamp: Summer 52, 512 AV
Time: Sunrise
Who: Zahlee

Zahlee was sitting upon a perch high amongst the Bloodwoods, looking down for a meal. He hadn't brought his hunting gear this day, for his wings were getting cooped up, and needed to spread. He'd heard that the Fog was dangerous, and made those that lived in it much more wild, but one day in wouldn't hurt. But pickings were slim this morning, the critters not stirring.

Even higher than Zahlee, the predator watched the bird hunt. He hadn't eaten in several days, and was now desperate enough for something much smaller than desired. He held his claws in front of his eyes, making sure they were sharp enough for the job. Smiling, his fangs gnashing lightly. His blue-grey fur was glistening under droplets of the Fog, as he flapped his two large wings and took off from his branch. He quickly turned his body downward and dove toward the unsuspecting owl, a vicious screech echoing out at the little bird, chilling him to the bone.

The Zith closed the gap, and brought down a single slashing set of claws at the little bird. He would eat well tonight, surely a simple bird couldn't fight back or escape one as mighty as him. He was a Zith! The deadliest predator any other race had known! His overconfidence came with a weakness though. He had no way of knowing it was a Kelvic, it was just a meal, a small morsel to tide his stomach over.
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Zahlee on June 3rd, 2012, 2:32 am

Already using his excellent hearing to search for prey, Zahlee heard the screech as soon as it passed the Zith's lips. His feathers ruffled as he realized he had turned from hunter to hunted within a matter of minutes. Thankfully his off set ears allowed him to register the threat was above him faster than normal allowing him to act just as quickly. Trusting his ears and his animal instincts he literally jumped off the branch and started to fall towards the forest floor. As a result the Zith's claws slashed through thin air causing his fury to rise at the thought of his meal getting away from him.
Zahlee
Player

Words: 10647
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Creeper on July 4th, 2012, 8:17 pm

The Zith watched in surprise as the bird jumped off the branch in escaped, tumbling away like it had died of fright. His eyes grew wide as his claws missed their mark, and his shoulder wrenched slightly in his overzealous attack. He buffeted his wings to drop him below the branch, and grasped the branch with his other set of claws. He swung around it, his claws carving grooves into the bark. Once on the other side, he released his hold and tilted forward, and planted his feet against the underside of the branch, and pushed off hard. He tucked his wings in as he shot downward, faster than he would have naturally fallen.

He neared the white, feathered meal, his claws glinting in the dim light. His screeches were deafening to the young owl, as the claws began slashing just behind it. The chase was fierce and winding around the trees and foliage, claws whistling and slashing. The Zith pumped his wings, lunged forward, and managed to get his fangs a hold of a couple of tail feathers, which ripped out and fluttered up into his eyes. Crying in pain, he halted in his flight, losing his prey, screaming in frustration.

The bird's flight carried him into a section of forest he'd never seen before. At first nothing seemed out of place, the trees seemed the same as the area he'd come from, the air felt the same in his feathers, but the noises were off, different. His ears were picking up higher animal pitches than normal. As he scanned the area, he saw a small deer down below, but his eyes seemed to be tricking him. The deer couldn't possibly be that small from this low altitude. Further searching would reveal many other animals, all several times smaller than Zahlee had seen in other areas of Taldera, much much smaller. Easy pickings for a predator like himself.

Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Zahlee on July 11th, 2012, 12:33 am

Not wanting to over exhaust himself, Zahlee began to climb upwards to the lower most branches of the nearest tree he could find. His heart was still beating rather quickly and the screeching still echoed in his mind. He had never before seen a Zith before and still hadn't throughout the chance. Yet he will never forget that piercing cry, one of hunger and frustration. It was something he would never forget even until his dying breath.

After several minutes of rather heavy breathing, Zahlee finally calmed down enough to look once again at the prey that dotted the ground below him. He studied the miniature creatures clicking his beak at the anticipation of snagging one. So with a quick and quiet extension of his wings he hoped off the branch and started to circle around picking out a rather plump looking stag before I decide to strike. Without a second thought I dive. Letting the animal instincts kick in I throw my head back and extend my talons waiting for the slightest bit of pressure from the stag's flesh before I snap them shut and fly away with my prey.
Zahlee
Player

Words: 10647
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cinna on August 16th, 2012, 8:39 pm

While he may have narrowly escaped being a meal himself, little did Zahlee know that that these little mini deer were quite the crafty little beasts and did not take lightly to being someone else's lunch. As soon as Zahlee's claws dug into the flesh, the little creature jumped up and squealed, the sound high pitched and enough to cause the little owl to screech at the sound. The little deer then began to run around the clearing, startling the other animals as he tried to dislodge the owl from his back. However a determined Zahlee was not about to lose this prey after his loss of his first chance and then getting chased, it was about time that something went right.

Unfortunately, things hardly ever go according to plan, and this time was no different. All of the commotion was causing several other creatures to come investigate, unseen by the little owl. He was too busy struggling to keep hold of the stag that he was determined to eat, and the stag was hardly watching were he was going, eventually running smack into the base of a tree. The little creature hit the tree so hard that it was knocked senseless, falling over and pinning the young owl underneath it. While now Zahlee had gotten his easy meal, how was he going to cart the animal away being underneath it?

oocThis little deer is about 2ft tall for reference
All thread tickets are sold out until most of the current modded threads are completed. I apologize for the trouble.

The Spires I Jamoura I Player Guide I Housing
Cinna
The Residing Wood Nymph

Words: 52321
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2012, 3:55 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Capricious on February 14th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Hi There!

As all participants of this moderated thread are retired, this thread is being closed.

Capricious
Assistant Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 171332
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)