Curious Kelvics Get Put to Work (Zahlee)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Asha on June 5th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Guest Moderator: Asha
Creeper Approved
Time Stamp: 82 Summer, 512

It was the height of the afternoon heat and the Medical petal seemed empty. Most creatures were resting in Syna’s loving warmth so it was a slow time of day for most businesses, the Medical petal included. In the center of the petal stood a long building made of white wood two-stories tall. The building housed Nature’s Nurture, one of the most well known medicinal buildings on the petal. Most who were milling around the general vicinity had things on their mind and places to be, so no one noticed or questioned a curious young Kelvic boy quietly approaching the building.

Near the entrance to the building was a window which the boy crept up to. His eyes peered just above the sill to investigate what went on inside. Just inside the window stood a large Jamoura male gently breaking pieces off a large chunk of bark resting upon a wooden table that held a variety of bulk herbs and plants. This male was of course, Hethe, the founder of Nature’s Nurture. Hethe’s massive fingers worked the fragile bark masterfully, breaking off only what he needed and no more. Smiling quietly as he went about his work, he placed the delicate bark shards in a small cotton bag. The kindly male felt that he was being watched, and raising his gaze ever so slightly he noticed eyes peeking at him through the window.

“You know, young man, it’s not polite to peep at people through the window. If you are going to hang about, why don’t you come in and assist me with a patient small one?” Hethe intoned gently without raising his head. He was a kind male but did not approve of layabouts, few Jamoura did. He did approve of curiosity however, and he knew young ones were often shy about it. Some needed an invitation to investigate further, and he was not one to deny a youngster’s curiosity. Besides, many of the doctors and assistants that usually staffed the building had briefly left for lunch in this slow part of the day. There was a small but adequate contingent of staff left behind to see to the patients that were present, but Hethe could use another hand that day.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Zahlee on June 5th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Zahlee had woke up that morning from a restless night of sleep. As he was coming back from a hunt the night before he happened across the clinic. He had seen it before but never really paid any attention to it. Curiosity got the better of him so he wandered towards the front window. Inside he looked around and saw the patients that were temporarily occupying the beds. Some had broken bones others had viruses but while looking at them something stirred in him. He couldn't put his finger on it at the time so instead of continuing to stare he decided to go on home and get some rest.

Sadly the rest he had longed for alluded him causing a night of rolling and tumbling. At about mid-morning he gave up on sleep and hastily threw on some clothes. The nagging sensation that had been present the whole time but he still couldn't put his finger on it, so he decided he would take a walk. Leaving the long house without any specific destination in mind he just wandered allowing his feet to take over. Around mid-day he found himself looking through the window of the clinic. Most of the staff were gone to lunch leaving just enough to take care of the patients. His eyes wondered around until he found a lone Jamoura filling a bag with bark. Not long after he started watching the Jamoura invited Zahlee to help him. Stunned by the offer he stammered for words." I uh.... sure." So he made his way into the clinic to stand a few feet away from his host. "Uh.... I'm sorry about that." he said nervously.
Zahlee
Player

Words: 10647
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asha on June 10th, 2012, 5:18 pm

“Don’t be sorry, young one. Curiosity is the driving force of life. Perhaps you might be so kind as to tell me your name?” Hethe asked with a half-smile and a raised brow. Whatever the boy answered, Hethe would politely nod and continue to smile. The room they stood in was large and airy, doorways leading to patient rooms lined each side. A few staff members wandered in and out of the rooms, checking up on patients and tidying work spaces.

“I am Hethe. I have a young patient, much like yourself, in this room suffering from a broken arm. I need to cut down some splints to fit his arm, would you please prepare some tea for my patient? Here, I’ve got willow bark in this bag. Just go to the clay pot over there and get a cup of water. Put the bag in the water to soak and bring it into this room.” Hethe gestured as he spoke, first at a clay pot at the other end of the room and then towards the doorway nearest him on the left side of the hallway.

At the far side of a room a small fire crackled with smooth, round stones the size of Hethe’s fist placed among the embers. Near the fire atop a table sat the large clay pot Hethe had referred to. The pot was filled with bubbling water and if Zahlee approached the pot he would see some of the round stones from the fire in the bottom of the pot lending their heat. On the outer edge of the pot rested a large ladle carved from a fallen branch of bloodwood. Smooth cups of clay were neatly stacked in rows behind the pot. The small space was well set up to accommodate the sudden hot water needs of any healer.

Hethe smiled and turned away from Zahlee, confident that the task would be accomplished. In two large strides he passed through the doorway into his patient’s room and disappeared from Zahlee’s sight, leaving him to decide if he would assist the healer or not.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Zahlee on June 14th, 2012, 8:13 pm

“Zahlee” he called after Hethe. “My name is Zahlee.” Then he turned and made his way to the pot. The boiling water bubbled gently as the fire lapped against the bottom of the pot. Knowing he would need to be careful, Zahlee reached around the pot and grasped a cup. Then he dipped the cup into the water where he scooped up about half a cup’s worth and went to pull his hand out. Sadly he wasn’t as fast as he should have been and was in turn burned from a sudden bubble which had burst moments before. He cursed under his breath and tried his best to ignore the pain from the blister that was starting to make itself known on his tanned skin.

Knowing he will have to get it checked out he made a mental note to do so before gently dabbing the bag into cup repeatedly making sure he can get the maximum flavor from the bag. Noting the strong flavor from the cup’s drink he nodded to himself before letting the bag rest in the cup. From there he proceeded to walk towards the room Hethe disappeared into where he found him busy at work on the splints for his charge. He knew he shouldn’t interrupt so he silently waited by the door until he was given permission to enter.
Zahlee
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asha on June 17th, 2012, 9:57 pm

When Zahlee entered the patient’s room he would see Hethe standing next to a young boy on a slugsuckle mattress. Near the raised bed upon which the mattress sat was a small set of shelves with some extra pillows, linens, a small wash basin and a pitcher of water. Hethe had placed two rolls of cotton bandages on the shelves, waiting to be wrapped around the boy’s arm.

The injured boy on the mattress held his left arm close to his body while his other arm covered it protectively. The boy’s lip trembled and his eyes were red and swollen from recent tears. Hethe turned towards Zahlee holding two slender pieces of wood in one large hand. He nodded encouragingly at the young Kelvic and motioned him in with his free hand. The injured boy on the bed turned his face away from Zahlee in embarrassment, trying to hide the evidence of his crying.

“Thank you for fetching that Zahlee. Many people do not realize how useful or important willow bark tea is. We give it to people with a variety of ailments because it helps reduce inflammation, a fancy term for swelling, as well as provide some minor pain relief.” Hethe explained patiently. He reached forward to accept the tea cup from Zahlee and handed it to the young boy on the bed. The boy grasped the cup with his uninjured right hand and sipped slowly, grimacing at the taste.

“Well, I didn’t promise it was going to taste like candy. You will be happy to have had it though, Pomki, so drink it all like a good boy.” Hethe spoke gently and smiled to help the injured boy feel comfortable. Bedside manner was half of a healer’s job. Observant from years of experience, Hethe noticed the small red patch on Zahlee’s hand, courtesy of the simmering water. Hethe chuckled under his breath at the irony. He had asked Zahlee to help him heal a patient and in turn Zahlee ended up needing some healing of his own.

“Oh my Zahlee, now you are injured too. A small burn, nothing too severe, but you ought to be more careful around hot water. Here, come and dip your hand in some water while Pomki finishes his tea. And don’t feel rushed Pomki, take all the time you need.” Hethe patted the boy with the broken arm on the knee while he slowly sipped at the willow bark tea. Hethe set his splints down on the shelves and picked up the wash basin and pitcher. He poured filled the basin with about four inches of water before replacing the pitcher on the shelf. Turning, he held out the basin to Zahlee. Pomki watched the exchange with interest and inspected Zahlee with his bloodshot, green eyes.

“My name’s Pomki. Who are you?” The boy asked, his voice with rough from crying. He lowered his eyes ashamedly; the young boy was embarrassed to have been caught crying. He appeared to be human and only a few years younger than Zahlee’s human shape. Shaggy brown hair framed his face and his roughspun, tan clothes were dirty from play.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Zahlee on July 14th, 2012, 3:29 am

Nodding his thanks to Hethe he slowly eased his hand under the cool surface of the water. Feeling the gentle sting of the cool water makes his face grimace a bit. Confound it.... Stupid boiling water.... he ranted to himself until the boy's question brought him back to reality. He looked at the boy and respectfully bowed his head and proceeded to answer courtly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Pomki. My name is Zahlee. Just a curious Kelvic that seems to of been caught staring at mister Hethe here." he smiled sheepishly at the boy. Zahlee noticed the boy was still in pain and was curious as to how the boy had sustained his injury but was afraid to be that bold after just meeting him. Instead he decided to change the subject and try to get the boy's mind of his pain.

"So what does the tea taste like? Hopefully I didn't make it taste too bad?" he smiled gave gave Pomki a little wink to try and encourage a smile from the little guy.
Zahlee
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asha on July 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm

“It tastes bitter and earthy. It’s nice to meet you too Zahlee.” Pomki gave the Kelvic boy a small smile from beneath his shaggy locks. Hethe watched the two boys’ exchange silently. He was pleased that Zahlee could be of comfort to Pomki. Often human children were scared of the huge Jamoura if they were not used to them so Zahlee’s presence was calming.

“Zahlee, will you hold these splints for me while I wrap Pomki’s arm?” Hethe asked and reached for the splints he had set in the shelves. He motioned for Pomki to extend his arm which the boy did albeit hestitantly. He was scared of allowing anyone near his throbbing arm. Hethe held the splints up on either side of the boy’s arm and glanced at Zahlee.

“Just hold them like this and I will wrap the bandages around to secure it. These splints will help Pomki’s arm heal straight.” Hethe explained as he waited for Zahlee to take over holding the splints. Pomki grasped his empty teacup to his chest with his good hand nervously as he waited to see what would become of his arm.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Zahlee on August 6th, 2012, 3:36 am

Hearing the obvious distaste for the tea Zahlee turns red and scratched his head. "Maybe I prepared it wrong. It was my first time for making such a thing so I"m sorry if I caused you any queasiness." he said feeling rather sorry for the little guy but his sorrow was cut short as Hethe began instructing them again.

Nodding another quick apology he turned his full attention to Hethe making sure he watched carefully as he demonstrated the proper way to position the splints. Feeling confident he plucks the splints from Hethe's hands and situates them in the required angles as Hethe begins to wrap his arm.

"So Pomki, mind if I ask you how you got this broken arm of yours or is it a secret?" he asked trying to distract the poor boy from the wrap that constricted down his arm.
Zahlee
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Capricious on February 15th, 2013, 2:28 am

Hello there!

As this is a guest mod and the participating PC is retired, this thread is being closed. If there are any issues with this, please contact me. Thanks!

Capricious
Assistant Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 171332
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)