Speak Common.

Tock; in which Seven commissions the mundane.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Speak Common.

Postby Seven Xu on June 23rd, 2012, 4:27 am

Summer 82, 512 AV
Noon

“Been here a few days and the boy’s already drawn out a map.”

A bellow of laughter filled the commons and thick hands lifted wrinkled paper from slick polished ebony. Its edges had curled and it had gone brittle where tea had spilt and dried, leaving in its wake a yellowed stain and bleeding blue-black ink. The man peered down at the rough outline of streets with shrewd black eyes before he tipped them back at the halfblood standing over him.

“S’not bad; I can show you where you need t’go, at least. A scope, is it? A looking glass?”

“A telescope—a well-made telescope. I want it to rival those that sit in the university’s astronomy tower. You say you know someone?”

“Boy wants to stare at stars, eh? Aye, I know a girl. A young woman,” he cleared his throat, “knows gadgets inside n’out. Bit nutty, but if’in you’ve got the gold-rims to shell out, you should have no trouble a-tall.”

“Show me.” Two silver-rimmed coins left bone-thin fingers to clang and fuss against the sailor’s empty plate. He was eager to draw a line between the World’s End and the girl’s shop—or house, he admitted he couldn’t be sure—and he even managed to remember her name.

Sort of.

‘Miss Tock’ had been scratched over the back of Seven’s map in careless hand. He thought he’d glanced at it half a hundred times while his steps took him away from the tavern, through grounded cobble streets and winding alleys he hadn’t bothered to chart. The sun had climbed high in a cloudless sky as morning shifted to midday; Zeltiva’s streets were wider than the likes of Alvadas, and though they remained reliably in-place, the crowd that occupied them was nearly as maddening.

Seven found the marked door with little trouble (he’d gotten rather good at tracking down doors, especially when they had a habit of slipping from one’s grasp) and lifted a balled fist to knock. Once, twice, and then he hesitated before rapping at pockmarked wood again.

He’d dressed as well as clothes wanting for replacing would let him; the untucked white button-down was loose on the neck with sleeves rolled to his elbows; his trousers fit well, they always had, though their wear had begun to show at his heels and around the knees; a tan leather satchel hung over the slope of one shoulder and various pages poked their corners out one end. At the very least, his face was clean and his hair brushed, both white as snow and conspiring to make his eyes all the more unsettling.

“Hello? Miss—,” an absent crimson stare dipped to search the name on the back of his map. His voice rose, but his words clung to the airy lilt of his western home; they sang of subtle formality. “Miss Tock? Are you home? I’ve come with a business proposition.”
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Speak Common.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 24th, 2012, 2:14 am

OOCLol... "Rival the ones in the astronomy tower"? I dunno 'bout all that... I imagine those were made by experts, whereas I'm only competent. But I'll do the best I can!!!

Another OOCI hope you don't mind I kind of went crazy with my first post here. Thinking about telescopes got me thinking about eyes, and lenses, and... Well you can see the results! I hope you enjoy... This post took me HOURS!

Tock couldn't see good.

She'd known this for years, but never felt the urge to do anything about it. She hadn't exactly grown up in an intellectual environment, and when she had left Sunberth, she'd barely known how to read. She'd learned more over the years, during her apprenticeship with Archimaneus, and various other exploits. But even then, she wasn't much of a reader.

Though she did occasionally like to read one of the various publications of "The Adventures of Jillian Smythe, Lady Adventurer!"

The problem was, when she did read, she tended to need her nose to be stuck right in the book. She also had a habit of leaning really, really close to her carvings and other projects, in order to see what she was doing. It had become enough of a problem lately that she finally had to break down and admit that she was near-sighted.

Not that she would accept such a limitation.

She had decided to tackle the problem the same way she handled all of her problems: build something.

Sure, she could have just bought a pair of spectacles and called it a day. But that wasn't Tock. She wouldn't just do things the normal way. She had to do them the Tock way.
So a few days ago she had bought her supplies and set to work. First had been a trip down to the glassworks. Except this time, instead of getting glass spider eyes, she got something to help her own eyes. She also bought a sighting lens; a small, hand-held device like a simplified version of a telescope, made with two glass lenses mounted within a leather cone. On her way home she also bought a leather belt, blissfully unaware of the strange looks the shopkeeper was giving her as she checked to make sure it would fit around her forehead.

Once home, she had begun working on modifications. First came an elaborate set of blueprints. She measured her head, the spectacles, the sighting lens, the width of her eyes, and everything else, carefully jotting down numbers as she went along. She spent some time holding up strips of wood and testing out lengths, strapping them to her head with the leather belt, measuring, and jotting down more numbers.

She drew out a sketch of her head with the envisioned device on it, sketching out each line in precise detail and at 100% scale. Graphing lines outlined the entire diagram, noting lengths and widths, lines of numbers crawling alongside the device's image.

Blueprints complete, she set to carving. First came a wooden piece about the same size and precisely the same dimensions as the spectacles. At the end where the spectacles would slip over the ears were two broad round discs. She cut the piece from a single piece of wood, carefully measuring, etching the design in place, then cutting the U-shaped piece out by hand. Then she carved the shape out, with narrow grooves along the inner edge measured to be a precise fit for the spectacles, right down to the square holes in the front that were the exact size and shape of the glass lenses.

The round pieces on the end were carved out with grooves that would fit onto a second set of pieces, allowing for a rotating joint. These other two pieces she cut from two smaller bits of wood, round on top with a buckle-like shape cut into the bottom. The buckles she carefully smoothed and shaped, testing the fit on the leather belt to be sure they would slide on neat and clean.

Once the first set of pieces were complete, and the connecting parts carefully smoothed to ensure fluid movement, she slid the buckles on and attached the front piece. She strapped the whole thing to her face, with the leather belt strapped around her forehead, and the wooden piece setting over her eyes like spectacles. She made some adjustments for comfort, then once she was satisfied with the fit, screwed tiny screws through the leather into the buckles to lock them in place. She then carefully fit the spectacles into the grooves she had carved, fitting them snugly inside and then screwing little strips across the frames with care to hold them in place.

She now had a leather headband that would hold the spectacles in place, or allow her to push them up out of the way. But she was just getting started.

Next she started carving out a series of wooden segments that would fit together to make six adjustable arms. Each segment was two inches long, and she carved them with hinge joints at either end so that the pieces could fit together with a small metal rod screwed through the hinges to hold them together. She spent a long while carving out several dozen identical pieces, connecting them together a piece at a time until she had six identical flexible arms, each a foot long. The hinges allowed them to fold up neatly into a short stack, or unfold and move outwards or up and down with a certain amount of flexibility.

Two of these arms would hold the sighting lens, which she carefully cut out of the leather tube that it came in. She measured the lenses and cut fresh pieces of wood, which she carved out to rounded shapes as frames the lenses could fit into. Each lens got a front and back frame piece, with grooves carved on the insides to the precise measurements of the lenses. They were then fit inside, the frames snapped together, and screwed front to back to securely hold the lenses within. Each frame was then attached to the end hinge of one of the arms, which were in turn attached to another wooden buckle fit just over the place where Tock's right eye would be while she was wearing the device. The flexible arm allowed the lenses to be held up out of the way when not needed, or held out arched over the spectacles when they needed to be lowered into place. They could also be adjusted to change the alignment of the lenses to adjust the focus and magnification.

The other four arms were attached at the temples, each at slightly different alignments so they could all reach in front of her face at different angles. For each of these she carved different end pieces. Two were simply small pieces of wood with holes carved into them, so she could slip things into them like the handle of a magnifying glass or a small tool. The other two, she carved a pair of simple wooden clips that could be clamped down over a piece of paper or something else lightweight, so it could be held up before her face and free up her hands from having to hold blueprints.

It took several days to carve out each part, assemble them, and adjust the alignment to make sure everything moved smoothly. She made sure all the arms were adjustable the way she wanted them, and that the arms could all be adjusted by hand into the positions she wanted.

Not that she was going to adjust them by hand. That's what the magic was for.

Only was she was satisfied with the creation and well-rested at the start of a new day, did she take it to her Animation circles. She had to refresh her Glyphs, and pulled out her notes and drawings to copy off of. She wasn't confident enough in her Glyphing ability to do this from memory alone. She spent a few hours that morning applying the Glyphs, etching each one with great precision onto the wooden floor. She looked at the Glyphs the way she saw her diagrams and blueprints; they had a certain form, and precision was key.

At the center of each circle she drew two runes that represented equality. They would aid in balance, making the transfer of Djed, thought, and energy more fluid and natural. The balancing runes would make it so the knowledge she wanted to transfer wanted to flow across the connection, making the transfer much easier. The flow was also aided by two linking runes on the line that connected the circles. These runes maximized the energy flow, keeping it directed down that path.

Finally were the runes that went on the perimeter of the circles themselves. Satevis had originally taught her to place two of these on each circle, lined up across from each other and perpendicular to the connecting line. After growing more skilled in her Animation practices, she had decided this wasn't the best way. Instead she now put three on each circle. One was directly across from and in perfect line with the connecting line between the two circles. She even measured from the wall to be sure the alignment was precise and perfect. Then with great care she calculated sixty degree angles and aligned the other two runes on equilateral points, so that a perfect triangle was shaped along the lines measured between each rune. The other circle received a mirror image of this design, the runes laid out with careful mathematical precision. This precision was important, since these runes helped contain the Djed flows in the circles, and prevent any from leaking out into the room. But the containment had to be balanced and aligned, or else the Djed flow would become erratic within the circles.

With all the careful measurements and calculations, and the time it took for her to carefully sketch each of the nine runes, she had spent hours preparing the circles. But it would be hours well spent, for it would save her more time than that in the transfer process.

Finally ready, she started the Animation process with a drop of blood. The glow of spiritual energy surrounded her, and the transfer began. With the aid of the runes, the Soulcore formed almost effortlessly. The transfer of knowledge then began, with Tock first forming a Directive of obedience to her as she did with all of her creations. She never gave them complete free will; people with free will might choose to leave, and she had lost enough in her life as it is. No living people ever tended to stick around.

The rest of what her creation needed to know was fairly simple. She spent time teaching it basic language so that it could understand her commands, including all the phrases she might use to command it to adjust its arms and spectacles. She had to teach it the words for its own own parts, so it would understand the words she used when she commanded it to lower a lens or clasp into position. All these words came with strong memories of the past few days she had spent lovingly assembling those very parts.

Next she taught it about the things she would need to study while wearing it. She made sure it knew what books and tools were, so it would know when she held such things up that it needed to lower the spectacles or lenses into place. She would be able to command it verbally or by touch, but by teaching it to understand her needs, it would be able to anticipate her desires and react before she needed to command it.

She spent a few days instilling knowledge into her new eyes, making them her smartest creation yet. Still not as intelligent as a full human, they were still smarter than most of her other babies that needed to be commanded every step of the way. She also worked the device through the muscle memory it would need, using her hands to mimic the movements she had used when learning to adjust the wooden arms by hand. This was one of the reasons she made each and every part from scratch; by having carved each hinge, she knew precisely how they moved, what their capabilities and limits were. As she moved her hands in front of her face as if adjusting the parts, her memories of making those adjustments during the construction process were transferred, instilling the device with memories of itself moving. The arms started moving and adjusting in unison with her movements, the process further aided by the balancing Glyphs in the center of each circle that made the energy flow more fluid and easy. Soon it was like looking in a mirror, the arms matching every movement as if her hands were physically moving them. She even taught it to strap itself in place, so that all she would have to do was place it on her head, and let it attach itself.

After days of construction and more days of imbuing it with knowledge, she gave it the final lifespark and named it simply, "Eyes."

When the stranger arrived at her door, Tock was in the middle of studying for her next project. When she opened the door she wore an annoyed frown. She looked up at him with Eyes strapped to her head, peering at him through the spectacles that were held in front of her face by the wooden frame. Hanging from one of the little wooden arms on the right side of her face was a pink seashell, with the two sighting lenses focused on it. To the left another arm held a page of notes where it could be kept in her view. She also had Handy, her wooden third hand, strapped to her right wrist, holding a book she'd borrowed from the library detailing coral. All this freed up her own hands, one of which held a second book on oysters and pearls, the other holding an ink stained quill.

She looked the stranger over, Eyes' sighting lenses following her gaze and adjusting to focus on the stranger. "Whaddya want?" she asked impatiently.

Ledger :
Leather belt -2 sm
Spectacles -50 gm
Sighting Lens -55 gm
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Speak Common.

Postby Seven Xu on June 24th, 2012, 3:21 am

oocNo worries. Also, Seven's overzealous when it comes to ideas for things. He'll be perfectly happy with your capability, and likely brag that it's beyond its make to those that cannot tell the difference.

“I want to—”

Seven paused. His jaw slackened and his brow beetled as his mind scrambled to make sense of the oddity this girl had strapped to her head. Thin wooden arms thrown in a half dozen directions sprouted from hardy spectacles that framed and augmented dark eyes, oversized and unblinking. And then there was the hand. Nutty? A bit? He wiped the corners of his mouth with a thumb and forefinger when pale lips threatened to tighten into something like derision.

“I want to make a telescope,” he said, ripping his stare from the pearlescent shell in the sure grip of a wooden arm. She was taller than him, enough to take notice; he straightened, squared his shoulders, and curled the stiff toes of his burned foot. “Rather, I want you to make it for me—oh!”

A startled noise escaped the halfblood, as if something had belatedly occurred to him. His hand shot out, palm upturned and fingers splayed. “Gods, I’m sorry. I’ve still not fully recovered from my trip. It’s left my head in a fog, I’m afraid. I’m Seven Xu.” He would also be slow realize his gesture was of little use when the girl had her hands (and then some) full. Seven flinched away, ran his fingers through his hair, and let his arm drop; then he patted his thighs stiffly and offered her a forced breath of laughter.

“Like I said, foggy.”

Seven craned his neck to peer past her, teeth grasping for the thoughtful comfort of his bottom lip.

“I could come back another time if you’re busy.” Blond-white brows rose over those small red eyes as they rolled coolly toward the cobbled street from where he’d come. The halfblood had little intention of leaving that front step, despite—or because of—his words. “Time and money, I’m afraid I’m in excess of both.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Speak Common.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 24th, 2012, 5:43 am

Tock didn't absorb the way the man was staring at her. She was used to it. This was no different than the looks she got every day when walking down the street, carrying her Animated wooden spider, trailed by her walking axe, or, occasionally, strapped into her Automaton crutches. So she just stared at him impatiently, waiting for him to get on with it.

"Telescope?" she asked. She frowned in confusion for a moment, then said, "Eyes up." The lenses and spectacles rose out of her way, clearing view of her face. She looked the stranger up and down. He didn't strike her as anything unusual, aside from being a bit pale. "I ain't done never made no telescope 'fore..." she muttered curiously. It was an intriguing idea. Her boyfriend rather enjoyed telescopes...

When he held out his hand, she stuck her quill in it for him to hold, and reached for her hip. She pulled Grippy, her extendable arm Automaton, from his leather holster. She closed the book in her left hand, and Handy mimicked the action, snapping shut the pages of his book. She took both books in her left hand, stuck them into Grippy's metal claw, and aimed him at the table behind her, some ten feet away. The arm extended outwards, the metal X's that made it up unfolding in order to stretch him out, and he deposited the books on the table, freeing Tock's hands for something new.

She frowned at the man when he claimed he was seven. Seven years old? Maybe he was a Nuit or something, and counting from the time he'd taken this body. "C'mon in, mate," she told him, turning back into the room and waving at him to follow. As she walked inside, the wooden hand strapped to her wrist made a beckoning motion with one finger. "I's Tock. Whatcha says 'bout a telescope? Expensive shyte, 'at. Fancy glass lenses an' all. Can't be too 'ard, though, aye?" She led him inside and sat down at the table, placing Grippy on the table next to the books she'd just deposited, possibly making one wonder why she'd used the extendable arm to place them there if she would be walking over only a moment later. She grabbed some papers and went to start sketching, then realized she didn't have her quill. "Gimme 'at," she said to her guest, reaching her hand out for the quill she'd made him hold. "Whatcher, astronomer?" she asked him. "'Ey's done gots fancy telescopes up at the Uni, aye? But if'n ya done wants yer own, I can manage one fer ya. Ain't so cheap though, aye? Aye."

The house was a small, crowded mess. Papers covered every inch of available wall space, and most of the ceiling, depicting drawings of various blueprints, including those of all the creations in the room. There were also drawings of some things she hadn't made yet, such as a mechanical wolf. The floor was cluttered with wood chips and discarded parts, and right near the door was a series of wooden boards nailed to the ground. Blocks were nailed down with beams laid across them, in shapes almost like bridges, half a dozen in all, varying in length from a few inches to several feet. Off in the corner was an intricate stone statue of a man with a half-drawn sword. The detail was so fine and precise that it almost looked like the statue was about to come to life. As Seven entered, a wooden spider scurried across the floor past his feet, scampering under the bed to hide. Meanwhile a hammer on wheels rolled up to his feet and stared up at him with little glass eyes.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Speak Common.

Postby Seven Xu on June 24th, 2012, 2:22 pm

“Aye,” he said, though he wasn’t entirely sure if he’d been asked a question at all. Time after time, the girl seemed intent on answering whatever it was she’d asked him on her own.

Something touched his foot.

“Aagh!” He took a stumbling step backward as a spider, larger than any he’d ever seen, whispered on eight thin legs across the floor and out of sight. A hand shot up to still the beating shock in his chest as his face flushed pink and a hot sweat broke out on his neck. Before he was afforded a moment to recover, the spinning creak of wheels over grooves in old hardwood caught his attention. Glass eyes met dilated pupils and he balked in the other direction with another startled gasp.

Suddenly, the cabin was alive. Everything seemed to move, creak, and rustle where no wind blew to tease it. Seven’s eyes darted from the sentient hammer to the hand on the table to the damnable arms that perched atop the girl’s head. He was hot all over. His mouth opened and closed a few times, but questions and accusations balled in his throat and emerged in a plaintive squeak.

The quill fell from his clammy palm and he stooped to retrieve it, eyeing the tool dubiously before straightening and approaching the table. He swallowed the lump that was undoubtedly his thumping heart, and fumbled for words he’d forgotten.

“Gods. So. So you can do it, is what you’re saying?” He sat, folded his hands in his lap, and let his cautious gaze wander over walls plastered in schemas. His knees bounced. “Like I said, money’s not a problem for me, nor is time—I’m willing to wait for something of quality.”

Eight legs skittered beneath an unmade bed and set Seven’s heart racing again. Djed had balled in his fingertips, some knee-jerk reaction mixed with a mage’s compulsion to release their own energies; it poured over his knuckles, an invisible weave of protection against whatever had threatened to run over his toes some chime earlier. His face twisted into something unreadable, colour swelling up his neck.

He couldn’t hold it any longer. Words poured out of him in one long breath, tossed up between tongue and fang as a hurried interrogation.

“What-what are these? That, on your head—and that,” he lifted a pointed finger above the table to gesture toward the automaton she’d used as a third hand. “How can they move on their own? Is that thing under the bed yours too? And that hammer?” His voice cracked. “It’s got eyes; I-I-I … I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Speak Common.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 24th, 2012, 3:24 pm

When Tock heard the man's gasp, she glanced back and saw Bitey scurrying away. "Careful," she said, "'e bites. 'E's friendly.though," she added with a nod towards Naily. "Ya can pet 'im if'n ya want." Naily rolled closer and used the claw of his hammer to tug on Seven's pant leg.

Unaware that the man was having fits over her babies, seeing as she didn't see a single thing unusual about them, Tock continued sketching, going the best she could from memory for now. She had seen plenty of telescopes in the university's astronomy tower, but she had never studied them in any great detail. She would have to go up there and take some measurements (maybe take one apart, if she could get away with it without anyone stopping her), and get a better idea how one worked.

"Course I can do it," she said in an offended tone. "I can does anythin'." She firmly believed that nothing was beyond her reach, given enough time and effort.

She made a list of notes next to her sketch, listing thine she would need: measurements to be taken, books to be borrowed, and principles she needed to learn in order to complete the process. Things like focus and magnification, which she wasn't knowledgeable on. She was sure the University had everything she would need though.

When Seven asked about her creations, she looked up at him, the lenses having automatically lowered into place again when she started writing. "What, 'ese?" she asked, as if there could be a doubt what he was asking about. "'Ey's my babies." She pulled the shell and note page from Eyes's grip, the little clasps reacting to the motion by releasing them automatically. She added her new list of notes about the telescope to one of the clips, the page hanging by her head just within her view. "'Is's Eyes, an' 'at's Naily," she pointed to the hammer, smiling with pride. "An' Bitey's hidin' I think. 'E's scared o' ya," Handy gestured under the bed, and Tock leaned over to peer at her baby, sitting back in the corner. "C'mon, baby," she told him, making kissy noises, "Mommy 'as a customer..." The spider remained where he was, lying in wait.

"An' 'at's Choppy an' Cutty, Mommy's big boys," she pointed to the corner where an axe and saw on legs stood silently. "Wanna say hi?" she asked the man. "Choppy, c'mere, come ta Mommy!" The axe saddled over on metal legs tipped with sharp claws. His blade was tilted downwards towards the floor, but still gleamed deadly sharp.

"So," Tock asked casually as if it were all business as usual, "'ow much we talkin' 'ere?" She wanted an idea on the payment before she got too involved in a job.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Speak Common.

Postby Seven Xu on June 25th, 2012, 2:59 pm

“I’m fine, thanks. No, really. Thank you.” Seven’s feet flinched from the axe blade, hooking themselves around the legs of his chair. Was she controlling them? He’d barely made sense of her explanations, but so far as he could tell, they were her creations; the inanimate animated—some type of automaton, maybe. He craned his neck to peer over the axe’s handle, but could see no room for moving gears within its thin body. Could it have been magic?

“It’s—um,” he stammered again, reaching for the leather satchel that weighed on his shoulder. He pulled it into his lap and fiddled with its clasp, eyes wandering again to the bed and the spider that undoubtedly hid beneath it. Scared of him, indeed. “It’s a lot of work. Not half as much as you’re used to, by the look of your—um—babies. I have the sketch somewhere … oh.

“Here.”

The paper whispered across the table beneath white fingertips. The image he’d drawn was crude and covered in notes, half of them not related to the making of telescopes at all. In one corner was a thick circle, beneath it a series of numbers. “All in all, it’s just a tube with a couple of lenses in it. I guess the lenses are the hard part—getting them right is paramount. They need to be able to magnify properly and not flip the image on its head. I also don’t want it to, well, move.”

Seven shifted uncomfortably, drawing his feet from the floor to cling to the edge of his chair, knees and chest sandwiching the leather bound collection of diagrams and charts not so different than those that plastered the girl’s walls.

“I’ve seen telescopes of decent quality sell for a hundred-gold rims in Lhavit,” he paused to consider a thought, licked his lips, and continued, “I’d be willing to double that.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Speak Common.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 26th, 2012, 12:25 am

"Deal, mate," Tock said, taking the man's papers. She held them up in front of her face, the lenses hanging from Eyes's arms shifting to zoom in on the drawing. She studied it, nodding. "My brother can make the lenses. Best dang glassworker what ye'll ever meet, aye? Aye." She was sure Monty would be glad for the work. He liked pushing the limits of his skills, and she was confident he'd see a telescope as a fitting challenge.

And 200 mizahs? The cost of the parts would be far less than that. A telescope's value didn't come from the parts, but from the skill required in crafting them. She wasn't sure on the value of the raw quantity of glass they'd need, but she did a quick estimation on the cost of the other parts. The main tube would ideally be carved of wood, with brass for the lens fittings and the adjustable parts. The stand legs could be wood with brass hinges on the top for adjusting them and folding them shut for transport. It'd be a small quantity of metal and wood, but a lot of time and effort to make all the parts right. This required more precision than lots of her other inventions. But even splitting the profits with the Glassman fifty/fifty, she would be making a nice hefty sum on such a project.

She'd just have to make sure to give her client his money's worth.

"'Alf now, 'ald when she's done, aye?" she told her client. "Need ta get the materials ready, an' talk ta my brother 'bout gettin' the lenses done. Take us some time, aye? But we can done get started right away."

She paused to consider the project for a moment, then asked, "Any special needs? Aside from makin' 'er up right good, aye? I can done add whatever extras ya done need, if'n ya want..."
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Speak Common.

Postby Seven Xu on July 2nd, 2012, 3:18 am

“No!”

The word slipped from his mouth in a yelp as his palms snapped out for the worn edges of the table. His shoulders tensed; his face twisted and then immediately smoothed; he licked his lips and croaked, realization breaking in the back of his throat. When he spoke again, his voice was quiet and measured. “I mean no, just a telescope. It doesn’t have to do anything more than help me see the sky. ”

Seven shot a glance at the gathering below his chair. Unnatural things, he decided.

One hand slid from the table to his bag, where a small purse was yanked out by the drawstring. It thumped against wood and paper with a half dozen soft ring-tinks, pregnant with gold-rimmed coins. “One-hundred twenty,” he said. “I’ll give you the other eighty when you’ve finished.”

There was a pause. Seven’s feet hit the ground, mindful of those that skittered around him. “I’m not paying your brother more, though I would like to meet him.” Certainly there couldn’t be another just like her in the world. It would put him at ease to know what exactly he was dealing with—not that the bar was set high.

Seven stood, eager to place distance between himself and the automaton audience he’d gathered at his toes. A smile rose. The halfblood was genuine, if a bit haughty. “Thank you. I … if there’s nothing else, I suppose I’ll be off.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Speak Common.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 2nd, 2012, 4:18 am

Tock looked at the man like he was crazy when he reacted so vehemently negative at the idea of special features. She had just been figuring he might want a stand or a carrying case for the telescope. She shrugged and said, "Suit yerself, mate."

Tock gathered up the money and tossed it in her chest by the bed. Then she touched the side of Eyes, and he lifted her new spectacles out of the way. Looking at her new client with just her own eyes, she grinned and slapped him on the arm. "Good deal 'en, mate," she said. "Jus' lemme know where I can done finds ya, an' I'll bring ya down ta meet my brother right soon. An' I'll give ya an estimate on time soon as I done talked ta 'im. Dunno how long lenses take. But figure least a couple weeks, aye? Delicate job, 'n all." She hadn't made something like this before, and it was certainly a more... precise project than a lot of what she was used to. She'd have to do some research, study the telescopes at the University, and make some plans. But she'd get it done soon enough.

With business concluded, she led him out, eager to get started on her next project. Pearls and seashells would have to wait. Like it or not, a paying customer came first, and besides, the idea of making a telescope was quite intriguing. The more intriguing a project, the more it came to the forefront of her mind.

OOCI figure that's about it for this thread. I'll send a PM soon to discuss with you and Monty when and how we can arrange another meeting, presumably in a three-way thread. And I'll probably do much of the crafting work in a solo, just because long involved crafting jobs tend to go smoother that way.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)