The Arachnid's Gambit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

The Arachnid's Gambit

Postby Antar on July 1st, 2012, 2:36 am

1st of Summer, 512av

Antar Noth, a twenty some year old man, sat confused as he watched the treeline for the impending return of a certain woman. For the last hours of the night , he had awoken from his slumber to find Shai leaving the tent and venturing out alone into the wilderness, only leaving her familiar, Chell behind. For a time, Antar merely pondered what was happening before lifting the necklace from the ground and bringing it up to his eye level. With a bit of care, Antar's hand reached out towads it and slowly spun a shield of djed over the creature, doing his best to task it against djed as he pondered to himself just what was going on.
Was Chell left behind for a reason to see how Antar would care for it? Even if hadn't spoken yet? Was this a test of some sort for some greater purpose of the woman? Or had Shai left the familiar behind to watch him, as a means of assuring him that she intended to come back, or to give her warning if she was followed? How far could it speak to Shai anyways? Without a doubt though, it didn't speak to him, not even when he looped the necklace which held it up and over his neck, letting it hang upon his chest as he went to grab his bow.

Like it or not, even though he knew the woman could handle herself, being alone out there in the wilderness seemed to be disconcerting, especially with the nearby ruins. If she had left chell behind for another reason, to be by herself in her thoughts, then bringing the familiar along posed its own risks. Even if there was the risk of the wilds themselves.
With such things in mind, Noth had decided if he was to follow her, he would leave her his space and so the tracking had begun. Following a symenestra, is prominently a difficult thing, especially if they don't want to be followed, any creature leaping through the trees and climbing to places would be difficult to find tracks of, and unlike an animal, he doubted shai would leave any scat around either. Spoor, maybe if she was compelled into a state of heat like some animals were, but scat... well that was not anything he would bear to think of.

For hours, he traced the signs of her steps, a brush and snapped twig here and there, the shallow depressions left behind by the most dainty of feet... and eventually, coming above a brief rise in the land he had found her from afar. Coming down from a nearby tower and playing in the sea... no, not playing. Basking in its water's under the light of the moon, until the dawn of the sun. Taking in both leth and syna's light in some form of ablutions... he couldn't tell from the distance, but something made him think she was crying. But if he approached, Chell would perhaps warn her of his presence, and she may not think, or even want some comfort now.
So the rogue had turned away, keeping to another rise and staying out of sight as much as possible , keeping watch from afar until she paced herself free of the water's warm embrace.

He'd never forget that sight of her, beautifully striding from the sea. But it was a stolen glimpse into something private that he knew it best not to know. So the rogue turned back towards camp and made haste, keeping far ahead of his dainty lithe beauty of a woman and quickly snuggled back under the pillows, stopping only to shove a bit of seed into his falcon's cage before turning back in to feign sleep. Chell still resting upon his chest, protected by his magics just as he would protect the lone woman he was bonded too.

For a time, he closed his eyes, unaware of the stalking presence making its way towards him. A presence of a rather feral woman hiding in the treetops nearby. The vision beneath his eyelids the one of the woman he'd seen rising from the waves. His heart warred with the desire to comfort her with his respect for her privacy as he tumbled into a brief, feverish daydream filled with longing for the woman of his passions, his subconscious pushing to the forefront of his psyche, wondering what exactly would await him when she came back to their shared lair of tents, pillows and sheets.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Arachnid's Gambit

Postby Shai on July 3rd, 2012, 3:56 am

The old, well-cared for, fabric of her cloak fluttered behind held on only by the neck clasp. Shai had failed to bother with her other clothing, she’d instead chosen to ball it up and carry it. Returning the camp had a begun as a steady, certain endeavor but with every stride the spider’s step hastened, until she was traveling above ground through the trees using all of her amply exposed skin to keep her balance and pace. Even though it was Summer now, the early air was crisp and forced a chill across her exertion-flushed cheeks. Time was inconsequential, only the task ahead was relevant. What tactics would bring her the desired result were complete mysteries but Shai was done putting it off; Antar needed to know and Shai needed his aid.

It was standing upon the last limb, on inexcusably dirty soles, over-looking the previous night’s camp fire that Shai first met with the briefest moment of doubt. It was not doubt of her goal but simply her means to achieving it. If the not for the nearly foreign overwhelming sense of correctness that filled the diminutive spider’s chest at the prospect of including her rogue in this endeavor, she might yet have delayed this task another indeterminably amount of time. As it was, the emotion was enough and before she knew it the spider had leapt from the branch and on to the recently trodden forest floor.

It was only a small thump, but the man she had come to know over these few previous seasons would certainly be awakened by even the most unsubstantial sound; she had been the cause of that sound a time or two and knew from personal experience. As a consequence, the woman spared no thought for subtlety; in fact she didn’t spare time for thought at all. In under a hand’s count of paces, the spider was through the tent and without ceremony she deposited of bundle of clothing in the corner. Before even the slightest word was spoken, Chell began to shake furiously at Antar’s breast. Shai’s frame of mind had unsettled her Irylid and for good reason.

Her weight shifted and sand caked on to her thighs fell to the floor. “I know you are awake, but I require your mind not just your reflexes this morning.” Without shame, Shai unclasped her cloak; letting it puddle at her heel. While two males were present this morning, one knew her features intimately and the other was quickly becoming a part of her psyche; she had nothing to hide and no presence of mind for frivolity at the moment. “I have a contract for you…” Her voice trailed off as familiar amethyst eyes sought a reaction from Antar. Her legs folding beneath her with the practiced grace of an acrobat, she sat down beside him. “But before you can accept it, which we both know you shall, you must know the details.” Before Shai could continue a crystalline voice invaded her thoughts and halted her discourse.

Cease! Exposing this knowledge, is displaying vulnerabilities. It was Chell, and from his tone Shai knew he wasn’t done. Antar doesn’t require this information, even if you do contract him as you said. You endanger us.

Silently frowning, her mind recoiled from the unexpected source of the complaint. Shai had considered Antar’s objections but she had not thought of Chell’s because the familiar rarely interfered with her less rash plans. He has been with me nearly as long as you have Chell. He can be trusted.

He has attempted to kill you on at least two occasions, who is to say how many times he has merely considered it?

He is mine, not in the way you are mine and I am yours Chell. But he is mine and I am his.

If, Shai Nerium, it is as you say then force his hand. Make the stakes for this success as high for him as they are for you… correction; higher.

At this notion, Shai’s lips curled into a forbidding smile and she forced her fangs to gently slip between her fangs. The Irylid has suggested stakes, and stakes meant a game… an enticement the Spider couldn’t resist. “This deal you will make with me, my dear-”,a low feral laugh rumbled in the back of her throat. “No,” Shai purred, “my love. This deal is a story began years past; indeed you were at your mother’s tit during the first act. My first inclination is to offer you this contract, let you see it through… and then end you with the conclusion. Give me, now, a reason not to.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Arachnid's Gambit

Postby Antar on July 3rd, 2012, 4:16 am

He enjoyed learning another's secrets, and had been slowly garnering the wish to find out this symenestra's, but the woman's words always seemed to hide deeper meanings or deflections in the past, So he decided it would be best to simply smile a moment, wondering if he should let her play the role she wanted of being a secretive mistress, or minx as she was. Her words carried a series of veiled threats, and yet... so could his.

With nary pausing a moment, his 'sleeping' form began."Perhaps you should be more frugal with your actions my dear? Especially speaking to me about 'contracts' and deals. Contracts are so ... interesting, my dear Shai. They are a dance of revelations and promises, as well as conditions. What contract would you require here today? Or are you rather out to fulfill one of your own on my life?" Antar said through half lidded eyes as he remained where he was. Yes he had heard the approach of the soft footfalls outside the tent, and had not been remiss of taking pleasure at the sight of the woman but then... just as easily as the flicking of of a light switch, old ingrained reactions kicked in to remove himself of all unnecessary emotions.

Bending at the waist he brought himself to sit up, moving closer to the woman. Languidly reaching his hand up and over to cup the Shai's cheek, his eyes, or actions might seem almost ... otherworldly as he spoke and allowed the magic within the stir. wisps of blue djed weeping bluish rivulets of djed fueld power about his eyes, in the rarest of occurrences as he activated his second sight. Only once had this occurred, back when he had learned voiding from that crazy mistress in Alvadas, his entire being focused upon what his mind's eye. His mind tapping into the delightful revelation of her aura, testing the waters of the colored theel as his voice spoke, with conviction, and veiled elements of stirring command. "Speak your details, and your deal's terms. And leave the riddles behind." His tone was just like he would have had any other conversation with her... save that the undercurrents would be rife within their stream, carrying a completely chilling tone, and the feel of her skin upon his thumb, carrying slight shivers to him that felt ... electrifying.

But honestly, even with his potential he was still a thickheaded as only a man could be at time. What Shai hinted too, he could not fathom. Not unless it was in much blunter terms. "Of course, I could always take upon a much more dominating role and subdue you fully. I've made no qualms that I could be merely content to lay naked beside you, taking comfort in the sensation of your skin next to mine and basking in your warmth, if not your body.It would be a pleasing memory to remember the last day I have with you if the fangs do not go away." With those words, Antar's right hand upon her cheek would stroke slowly down her chin before forcefully closing her bottom jaw. Letting the fangs remain barely unlidded over her lush lips. Though he would be somewhat forceful in his reminder, he would slowly allow his other hand to come up and stroke back a strand of her hair, gently tucking it behind her ear. A clear mixtures of signals, and yet all of them oddly showing no true emotion... as if he was contemplating a discussion of the weather.

His left hand slowly traversed to another stray whisp of hair, teasing it gently between his index and middle digits as his left thumb gave a small carress of the widow's temple... reinforcing the fact that he had no fear of her, of that he had already proved the first night they had lain together.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)