[Sanctuary] A Family United

Ragnor // In which Sama'el brings that Matlians to Ragnor's doorstep.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 1st, 2012, 8:00 pm

1st Summer, 512 A.V.

Their ship had landed in Riverfall after crossing the Suvan Sea from the port of Karjin, and Sama'el had left the others to see to debarking and collecting their things to bring to the Sanctuary and set up their usual camp outside. But he preceded them with Izurabelle and the children. The eldest rode pillion with Izurabelle, the youngest two clinging to Sama'el and to Horse as they made a steady pace forward. They were all anxious for the reunion, the children even a bit frightened. It had been some time since they had seen Ragnor, and they were so young.

Sama'el had not had the heart to tell them that their father was a shadow of his former self. That realization might have destroyed the Matlians, and if there was to be backlash, it were better to come in the Sanctuary where they would be safe than in Avanthal where they might refuse the journey, or on the journey itself.

"You're getting to be such good riders," he told the children sitting before and behind him, "that I might have to kidnap you in the night and make you Drykas of my pavilion." That earned him some giggles, and at least one of them seemed intrigued by the idea. But then he called ahead, not sure how to summon Ragnor's shade, but if he was the guardian spirit of the Sanctuary, he should come.

"Ho, Ragnor! Your family arrives!"
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on August 2nd, 2012, 5:58 am

He'd been watching that unchanging horizon for some time before he spotted the silhouette of Sama'el and his troop, as he'd had done every day since the Watchman left, and even days beyond that when he had only just come to know the Sanctuary as a place to be welcomed, ever longing for the sight of his family one more. Now that he could see their approach however, apprehension coursed through him, and even a bit of fear though he loathed to admit such a thing even to himself. He never feared much in life, though in death, matters with family seemed a constant. How would his beloved react to the news assuming that Sama'el held true to his wishes. What of his children, the youngest would weather it better than the eldest for they had much room to grow, but it would bite much the same. Still he hoped Sama'el hadn't succumbed to the temptation of released his current state of being for the information needed to come from him, regardless of how painful it might be with her hopes brought up with news of his whereabouts. He needed her safe, and she was strong enough of spirit to weather the news of that he was sure. The time between knowing her last had not lapsed enough that he forgot of her nature.

They neared quick on the backs of steeds, something he'd never imagined Izurabelle doing, and turning attention to himself, he concentrated to calm his mind. Approaching forwardly full of his present nature might come of too much of a shock for his family to immediately comprehend so for the impending reintroduction, he would at least initially appear still of flesh and blood as best as he could manage. Thankfully a bucket of water nearby was available to be of service to his present needs. He concentrated first on his the wispy look of his face in the rippling water, and using the as a focus, he drew his soul mist within himself, to his head and shoulders had gained at least a semblance of definition to themselves. It was a meticulous process, one that bore the barest semblance to flexing ones muscles, as he pulling free the loose tendrils of soul mist from the air around him and incorporated it further into his form giving more color and depth into his form. By the end of several minutes he was feeling out the solidity of his knew form and settled firmly on the ground by all outward appearances. It seemed to be that it was just in time as well for just as Ragnor looked back up to the horizon, Sama'el's voice reached out in greeting.

"Ho, Sama'el. Your bring much joy in your wake" Ragnor spoke, his voice as deep and strong as it had been in life. His hand raised in the air signaling the greeting only moments later, but the observant watcher could see that it was done with some effort, and might even have noticed the trailing bits of soul mist that followed the movement of his arm. His eyes unfocused from the the sight of the drykas and onto that of the other figures with him and his materialized form melted away to the murky one that marked his existence plainly. The sight of his family, so close so soon, had broken his concentration on his form, and just as quickly as the sight of his solid form registered, it dissipated leaving only the truth beneath.

Izurabelle's mouth opened, though no words came out while the children stared forward, their faces squinting in confusion, thinking it some clever trick of their fathers. The truth had yet to register with them. He'd have to explain this to them one on one later, for now his beloved pained blue eyes demanded answer. Sama'el had kept true to his wishes.

"Blame not the Watchman, for I requested discretion. It needed to come from me" She remained quiet as he expected, and he turned his attention to the drykas for the present moment. The soul mist moving slightly quicker than normal around his form was the only clue to his present feelings pertaining to the moment. "With that said, you have my deepest gratitude Sama'el. You've given me the chance to have conversations that need to be spoken"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on August 2nd, 2012, 6:20 am

He bowed formally in the Drykas manner to Ragnor, who was now the guardian spirit of the Sanctuary, which he deemed a Drykas place for it belonged to Kavala, who was Drykas through and through. But he turned to Izurabelle and the young Matlians.

"I regret the necessity of hiding this from you," he said. "It was done without malice." He didn't know whether they would rage or weep; the welter of emotions seemed to shift between too many to count. But he had told himself that he would ride across the span of Mizahar if his own father's spirit was waiting for him there. Though now, it seemed, he would have a passel of followers wherever he might go.

"Ragnor," he said, and hesitated. He was not sure whether his compassion in this instance would be well received. "Do you require sustenance? A ghost I met riding the Sea of Grass taught me how to make food for the dead." He didn't know Ragnor's feeding schedule, nor could he really send word ahead that they were coming that he might be prepared. He might want the help to get through this trying reunion, or perhaps he ought offer his body that the family might have some familiar warm flesh to embrace.

But that would be even more awkward to offer, and perhaps rudely intrusive, so he kept mum on that subject unless it was asked of him. Clearly, if he would ride to Avanthal and back through Winter and wild djed storm, Ragnor must know he could count on Sama'el for anything.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jackalope on November 10th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Sam

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Holding the Truth from the Matlian children
Offering to Feed a Ghost

Jackalope's Notes
Sorry to see this end prematurely. Couldn't really find any XP, but should Ragnor return and you two complete this, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to regrade. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on January 8th, 2013, 9:53 pm

His words could not stop the emotions to come, he knew, and that made the profound look of betrayal that crossed his wife's features cut all the more deep. It wasn't like him to keep things from her, certainly nothing as grave as this but circumstances demanded it, something she had to understand. The children still looked quite confused but slowly he could see it start to sink in, their bedside tales slowly relating to the reality of the situation. They would have to be sat down in due time, after he'd seen his reasons explained to his wife. She needed to understand.

Before he could will himself to speak, Izurabelle did, her voice raw with emotion. " How dare you! You could have sent word.... we could have prepared... yet... you let us believe you were of flesh and blood! How could you!? How? "

"I needed to be the one to let you know my fate, so you would not suffer alone and away from familiar company. News of my death is not a weight I'd wish Sama'el to bear for me, for he risked much traveling that way in the first place" Ragnor responded, his ethereal hand reaching out briefly towards her before bringing it back to himself, noticing the pain coloring her features as she drew away from his touch.

"You should have known" She replied coarsely before gathering the children and storming past him towards the Sanctuary beyond. Steeling his own expression and not looking back at their departure, he willed himself towards Sama'el so that he might speak without being overheared.

"If you'd might do me another favor Watchmen, and see them settled in, I would be grateful. I need time to collect my thoughts. I'll find you come sunset in order to give a proper thanks" Ragnor spoke before moving back towards the comforting shadows of the Sanctuary.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 26th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Sama'el stood by, rather stoic for the normally expressive Drykas, as this was not his family. But when Ragnor asked one more thing of him, he nodded, and as the ghost departed from them. He offered a tight smile, and herded them away. Izurabelle still seemed steamed, but the children were used to following his leadership in order to get them safely through Taldera, across the Suvan Sea, and to this new place. After asking, he found the place that had been set aside for the Matlians, and saw them inside.

He left them to their own devices once he knew they had everything they needed, and went to check on his horses, his people. But he returned to the Matlians well before sunset. He waited without, though, not wanting to intrude.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on March 18th, 2013, 5:00 pm

The sun was just starting to kiss the horizon when he arrived back at the Sanctuary, running into a familiar form as he crossed towards the threshold. It relieved him that Sama'el was the first one he'd run into since returning, for he wished to know how his expedition north had gone. The man had braved to wilderness on his word, certainly he had much to tell.

"Ho Sama'el, it is good to see you back." Ragnor rumbled as he moved into view of the drykas, his misty form floating barely off the ground. "Did any trouble find you on your journey?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)