Guards for a Day (Bojovnik Vybutit)

Rezren and Bojovnik guard some cargo fresh off the boat.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Rezren on July 2nd, 2012, 4:29 am

2nd of Summer - 512 AV

Rezren walked along the docks with a mild soreness permeating his body. The day before had been pretty wild, but the results were quite satisfactory despite a few hitches. His short sword rested on his hip comfortably and his shield tugged at his back. The combination of the sword and shield empowered him emotionally and allowed him to overcome a bit of the physical trauma that he had suffered just hours ago.

Because he didn’t have much in particular to do besides common chores and errands, Rezren found himself retracing his journey from the night before. He went to Tarsin’s, the alley where he had beaten one of his muggers, and finally the docks. As he approached, the usual activities he associated with the docks unfolded before him. People got on and off boats sometimes in arrival and sometimes for departure, but other people hurried on and off loading or unloading cargo from crowded vessels.

Little did he know as he approached the loading zone that such activities would become the focus of his day. Rezren walked over to the spot Clyde had saved him. Some scorch marks from the Reimancer’s frightening attack could be seen on the wood, but none of the terror or desperation of that night remained. The feelings hardly survived in his own memory, but perhaps that was some sort of coping mechanism... Maybe one day they would come back in some similar situation or nightmare.

The sound of his shoes on the ground faded as he found a comfortable rhythm that properly accommodated his injuries. Rezren gave an unexpectedly heavy sigh as the weight from the day before’s ordeals seemed to be lifted again due to his silent reflections. He was wondering what he should do for the day when a scrawny man grabbed his arm gently. The man had the signs of age plainly carved into his face and the last remnants of black in his hair were turning into grey. The wispy beard clung to his face and neck from Rezren assumed was perspiration.

Rezren gave a quizzical look for a few moments while the old man caught his breath. The man’s voice sounded tired and annoyed as he spoke between wheezing breaths, “That sword and shield... You know how to use it right?” Before Rezren could respond, the man continued talking, “It doesn’t matter. You won’t even need to use it... probably. You just need to look like you do, which you do... The men I hired to take care of a shipment haven’t showed up yet and I’m starting to doubt that they ever will. I need a man or two or three to make sure everything today works without an issue.”

Pay hadn’t been mentioned, but it seemed implied. Rezren took pity on the man and decided helping him out would be a good way to repay the world for the favor it had done for him recently. He spoke in a voice of mild apathy, “Sure. I’ll guard your stuff for bit.” The man seemed relieved but offered no thanks to the mercenary. He merely directed Rezren to the spot the ship was scheduled to dock and told him to wait while he fetched other armed men to look after the unnamed valuables on their way. Helping the old man out left Rezren glowing a bit on the inside though he would never admit it. Defending the weak and helpless felt extraordinarily chivalrous. A faint smile found its way through his artificially salty exterior. His imagination ran wild as he speculated the shipments contents. Would it be masses of valuable materials or some powerful artifact? The prospects excited him.

Rezren
Player

Words: 48037
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Bojovnik Vybutit on July 2nd, 2012, 10:58 pm

Another day like any other. Bojovnik walked around the docks of Ravok looking to find something to do. He had been living day by day always on the move but finally started to stay in a town for longer than 5 days. He always figured more than 5 days and someone will start to take notice of you. But in Ravok things are different. People come and go alot more than most towns and city's to the number of boats that come in. If worst came to pass he could always just stowaway on a ship and be far out of reach in no time at all.

He had a feeling he was unwelcome in this town. If that was experience from being on the run for two years or just paranoia setting in. But one thing was for certain today he was going to get surprised far more than he knew. As he was walking around the loading docks he began looking at everything and anyone not really sure why he just didn't have a good feeling he felt like someone was watching him trying to get a feel for him. The people loading the crates on and off the boats aren't watching him since they are getting ready for their boat to leave. But someone caught his eye. A scrawny old man, watching him, out of everyone in the crowd he was watching Bojovnik.

Not knowing the man's intention he walked on. Hoping the man would follow him and let him be able to question him. Bojovnik turned a corner in an allyway, sat down and pulled his hood from his cloak over his head. When the old man turned down the ally way seeing that the no one was down it but him and a homeless beggar. The scrawny man didn't figure out who the beggar was until it was too late. He stood up quick and tall. Grabbed hold of his axe in one arm and slammed the old man up on the wall with the other. Just being thrown on the wall was enough to hurt the old guy, but Bojovnik didn't care he wanted answers.

"Listen hear you old man, your going to tell me why you were fallowing me," Bojovnik says as he takes his handaxe and puts the blade up to the mans neck." or my blade will be the last thing you ever see."

The old man looks back at him almost with annoyance. "Well I was going to offer you a job but if you don't want it fine."

Bojovnik decided to trust his gut that this man was not after him and he decided to put his axe away. "What kind of job?"

The old man looked reveled, maybe it was because he got someone for a job but most likely it was that he didn't get his throat slit. "You have to guard some valuables that I need protected."

"Pay?" Bojovnik asked leaning up against the hard side of the stone building.

The old man gave him a nasty look befor replyin. "You will be compensated for your support, I got another fellow earlier it's over in that spot where the boat will dock." the man pointed to a site and Bojjovnik could see a figure standing watch. "talk with him, Im going to see if I can find more of your kind."

Bojovnik was going to ask what "your kind" meant but thought better of it. He simply walked to the area the ship was going to dock in. Walking up he saw the other figure and saw he had a sword and shield on his back.

"Old man pick you up off the street?"
Bojovnik Vybutit
Tell me I cant, I'll show you I can.

Words: 47918
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rezren on July 3rd, 2012, 2:53 am

It seemed as though the old man had found another to help guard whatever valuables he had coming to Ravok. The young man was about his age and armed quite heavily. Rezren looked him over once or twice before responding in a friendly tone, “Yeah, that old guy pulled me over to help guard something or another he wants to make sure he doesn’t lose.” He placed his hand on the hilt of his sword casually as to convey no threat but rather show why he had been chosen out of the crowd. His partner for the day was armed considerably more formidably and the old man must have been pleased to find him.

The movement of people nearby didn’t quite distract him. The sun was still rising and robbing the air of its chill. The well-armed stranger was more interesting than the surrounding activities. The dock happenings were daily ordeals, but the chance to meet a complete stranger under such unique circumstances was something to treasure. Realizing the old man wasn’t coming back for a bit, he decided to take a seat out of the way of the dock workers. He made sure to face the stranger in a gesture of openness and friendliness. Rezren absently felt the ground’s texture as he had the day before. It felt different, but maybe that was because he was different.

Rezren didn’t know exactly how friendly he should get with stranger, but he figured that courtesy would be the best way to proceed. The mercenary removed the shield from his back and examined its surface thoughtfully. Every mark in the metal reminded him of an experience or tale from the past. He ran his fingers down every valley and crevice. After a few moments of whistling, he looked back up at the person standing near him.

He looked his new ally over once more and tried to strike up a conversation. He wanted to know more about the stranger so he stopped his peripheral activities and made solid eye contact, “I’m Rezren. Part time mercenary... What’re you? Mercenary? Black Sun? Weapon enthusiast? I reckon you have some fun stories if your eye is in any indication.” It could have easily been an insult, but Rezren tried to sound sincere and curious because he genuinely was. He figured that it could be a sensitive subject, but he could think of no better conversation starter than the most pronounced physical characteristic.

Rezren hoped his fellow recruit would have some interesting story to tell. Being stuck with an unstimulating person for hours seemed exceedingly undesirable.

Rezren
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bojovnik Vybutit on July 4th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Listening to what his new partner had to say about the old man made him curious. If he needed people to watch his cargo he must be expecting something, or someone to come take it. Since he needed armed guards just made Bojovnik even more worried about this job. He didn't even hear the other mercenary talk since he was deep in his thought process. After a while he decided it was paranoia setting in again.

All the people moving around made it hard for him to watch everyone. Doing mercenary jobs in the past he knew he had to be alert, and where they sat made that part all the more difficult. Seeing the other man moved away from the workers made him breath a little more easily he knew he wasn't working with a complete idiot. From the way the guard was speaking he knew he was trying to be friendly to Bojovnik. Knowing they would be hear for some time he realized he has to be able to talk with this man some way.

The guard looked at his shield very elegantly feeling the side and shape. Bojovnik shrugged and guessed he and that shield had been through allot. The mercenary was whistling. That caught Bojovnik off-guard, not many in this profession like to whistle and it showed this one must be more of a person than most mercenary's are. He stood there silently looking around the docks and noticed a dark brown cat starring at them. After looking at the cat for a few moments it ran off. When he turned back around his partner was staring at him.

He addressed himself as Rezren, a part time mercenary. Then preceded to ask who Bojovnik was. Rezren Then mentioned his scar on Bojovnik's eye. The look on his face after could tell he was worried what the response would be but wanting to play it friendly he just smiled at Rezren.

"Just a guy, but many great stories, the eye you ask well let me tell you, I was wondering in the woods tracking this animal for days now and If i didnt find him today I knew I would have to call it even and leave. But then I finaly caught up to him, the animal was huge three times my size and I knew if I could bring it back I would be famous. I walked around it trying to get a good vantage point to fire arrows at it, little did I know two other hunters where traking it too and set up a snare. Befor I knew it I was flying up the tree hanging by my leg and the first face I saw was an angry man with rage in his eye. He screamed at me for letting the animal get away and I said to him,

"Well I think you need to learn the differeance bettween me and that ugly thing, well I know you could pass for it's kind but my handsome face couldn't." and the look I got from him. Well basicly a fight broke out and a sword slashed me over my eye."

Bojovnik made a fake laugh at point during his tale, knowing it never happened but believed it would be a good thing to tell Rezren since he didn't like telling his life to people he just meet.
Bojovnik Vybutit

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rezren on July 5th, 2012, 12:31 am

Rezren grinned as the man explained the story to him. It was truly an entertaining story and he was thankful that the man would be a source of some humor or fun for the next few hours. The story, while entertaining, seemed a bit fake or perhaps exaggerated though. Rezren certainly hoped it was fake rather than exaggerated. The prospect of what tale he could be hiding behind the lie intrigued him almost as much as the mysterious shipment they would be guarding.

He gave out a short laugh at the witty remark the man claimed to have made. He could have had much worse company to spend the day with he decided again. Rezren tried to convey as little of his disbelief as possible in his tone but not his diction, “Quite an interesting story! It met my expectations nicely. So you’re a hunter then?” Judging by the man’s weapons, it was the most feasible part of the story. He decided not to worry about that aspect and try to delve into more interesting subjects while the old man scurried around the docks.

“A hunter indeed and, by the sound of it, a pretty good one. Thankfully I’ve never seen such a creature as the one you describe, but I’ve spent most of my life in Ravok so its to be expected,” Rezren offered a friendly smile to his possible future friend. “So stranger, I’ve never seen you before around these parts. Ravok is a big city so I haven’t seen a lot of people before, but with your hunting and all, I imagine you may be aloof quite a bit. How long have you been living in the city? I came here as a boy. Didn’t have much choice in the matter...”

Chatting was nice. Rezren didn’t have many friends in Ravok meaning such prolonged interactions were unfortunately rare. He figured he must have some pretty good luck to have been forced into contact with the humorous stranger. Perhaps his luck would extend to the job ahead and it would offer some story or interesting developments. The day began to age as the sun rose higher into the sky. The air continued to warm and the rays felt good on his skin. The breeze, the sun, and gentle sounds of the water almost had him forgetting his reason for being there.

Hopefully the shipment would come in soon and lead to the next chapter of the day. Rezren was itching to know what had the old man so riled up. Likely, age had made the man neurotic and paranoid. Rezren considered the fact that he could be making a big deal about nothing, but such a truth be unfortunately uneventful. He decided to keep hoping and speculating. If everything turned out to be the worst and most boring possibility, the fantasizing would keep him out of the clutches of the deepest levels of boredom at least.

Glancing out onto the water, Rezren noticed a small boat approaching. Perhaps it carried the cargo they had been waiting for.

Rezren
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bojovnik Vybutit on July 9th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Rezren seemed to like the story. It was fake maybe but a traveler did tell Bojovnik the tale at some point but he cant really remember. He had a feeling the tale was a lie even when he was told it all that long ago. Even if Bojovnik said the story almost perfectly Rezren seemed to know that it was a lie, making him even more relieved. Most people who do this line of work are usually stupid morons who just want to hit things but this guard is the kind who wants to live to tell his tale.

As Rezren spoke Bojovnik made sure to still be keeping an eye on the people in the crowd hoping he wouldn't see a face he has already spotted. With so many people in this city it made it hard to see everyone but that must be a good thing every now and then, but at this moment all it did was hinder his job. Bojovnik nodded when Rezren suggested he was a hunter. Not exactly the truth but he has hunted in his time.

When Rezren spoke again Bojovnik made a point to listen this time instead of just looking at the docks.

"I'm not that good trust me that was just luck finding the monster. I have only been in Ravok a few weeks. I travel a lot but I like this place I might stay hear longer unless some unforeseen event happens. "

Bojovnik glanced across the water and saw a boat approaching steadily. He turns back to the docks and something catches his eye. The face makes his heart stop as the two lock eyes. A dark brown cat.

"Rezren don't act right now, look casual" His voice was stern and tense much different from how it was when he talked casualty, "We are being watched I count at least three of them maybe four."

Bojovnik stood up and turned his chair around trying to look natural in the hopes of getting a better view at the soon to be attackers.
Bojovnik Vybutit

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rezren on July 9th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Bojovnik’s warning was easy enough to heed. Rezren wasn’t one to be frightened easily or trust the paranoia of a man he had just met. Instead, he took the alleged hunter’s alarm as a queue to scan the crowd himself. He observed faces, postures, and clothing of people moving slow enough for him to see. Those rushing past eluded his eye or were ignored for the sake of convenience, but a few people stuck out of the crowds due to their position or mannerisms. Those looking in their direction repeatedly or with restless movements were immediately suspected. The mercenary still wouldn’t panic though. He understood that his judgment could be skewed by Bojovnik’s opinion.

Rezren made a sound that noted affirmation even though he only partially considered it a legitimate concern. He narrowed down the people Bojovnik was talking about. Those without weapons or who looked like dock workers were culled from the herd of possible assailants, but they could rest easy for now. No one would be foolish enough to attack them at the crowded docks. The intelligencer moved to his feet as the boat arrived next to them. Among the miscellaneous materials and standard looking boxes being unloaded, one stood out due to its unique characteristics.

The wood was dark and had some interesting, ornate patterns carved into the sides. The lock was unusually large for the box and was the most noticeable feature. Rezren was looking at it when the man who had recruited him and Bojovnik returned cussing profusely. “I guess you two will have to do,” he looked around at the crowds in a frightened fashion. The mercenary mentally scolded the boxes owner for making it so obvious that the contents were valuable, even the value was sentimental or exaggerated.

The man gave them directions to a point almost across the city. Rezren scolded the man again mentally. Walking halfway across the city with the chest would leave many opportunities for theft or attacks. To add to the annoyance, the parts of the city they would have to traverse wouldn’t be too busy this time of day. Not to mention that Bojovnik and him would have to carry the chest themselves. The old man hobbled off into the crowd and left the two mercenaries to do their work.

With a sigh, Rezren grabbed one end and looked over at Bojovnik. “I guess we’ll be heaving this the rest of the way… Hopefully those guys have the courtesy not to attack us…”

Rezren
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bojovnik Vybutit on July 10th, 2012, 2:15 am

The new plan seemed like utter suicide for the two mercenary's. Walk with this big crate threw the city with cutthroats around every corner. This was probably the most stupid thing he ever heard, no one is going to think two heavily armed men with a crate wont have any valuables. Every person they see will most likely try to get a piece of this. The old man scurried away faster then he came. The option that he hired the two of them just to kill them seemed reasonable but unlikely. It still bugged him that if this old man was so desperate for his cargo to be protected why wouldn't he have made sure that the guards who were supposed to guard this chest actually showed up.

Nothing seemed right but it never did. Bojovnik picked up the other side of the crate and heard Rezren speak.

" Don't count on it my friend, two heavily armed guards and a big chest are easy targets if you ask me." his voice was back to the friendly tone as before. "Or they may just not like you for being with such a good looking man as myself, but who could blame them" He smirks back at Rezren as he lifts the crate and realizes its allot heavier than he thought it would be. The weight of the two of them as they walked out of the docks and off to the destination point.

The looks people gave them as the carried the box was anything but admiration. You could see people scamming and planing for a way to take them down. After some tight turns and deserted alleys it seemed like they where in the clear, but one final obstacle was in their path. A long alleyway they had to get threw, not exactly that bad but it was the best looking path for an ambush if he ever saw one.

As the pair walked on their feet echoed down the hall. Bojovnik listened and tried to make sure no one came down in an attempt to hit the two. Almost on queue Bojovnik heard someone step out of a door and the rasp of the sword scabbard as it came out. In as fast as he could manage Bojovnik dropped his side of the crate. He pulled out his bow and turned around loading an arrow as he did. The first sight was a man with his armed raised holding a sword ready to come down on Rezren. Before the man could blink Bojovnik let his arrow fly and dropped the man in a second.

He slung his bow back on his shoulder and pulled out his axe. "See what I mean they never try and hit the pretty one. Now the fun begins." Bojovnik laughed as he but his back up to Rezren hoping he could cover that side of the alleyway.
Bojovnik Vybutit

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rezren on July 19th, 2012, 2:19 am

Rezren dropped his side of the chest as well. He heard the chest crack a little but he wasn’t all too concerned when his life was on the line. Bojovnik’s save was crucial and allowed him to get ready in time for the next attacker. He pulled out his weapon and gripped it with the blade steadily pointed in front of him. His companion’s excitement didn’t sit all too well with the mercenary who always found battle to be an unsavory and frightful ordeal.

He did a short skip forward and swung his sword at another oncoming assailant. The mercenary missed on purpose but used his opponent’s new lack of balance to push him to the ground. A few swift kicks strategically aimed at the arm, chest, and head left the man without his dagger and reeling on the ground. “Try not to kill them, friend. Having them dead would be undesirable for a number of reasons.”

Perhaps they were Black Sun or there was some misunderstanding. The later seemed more likely, but Rezren liked to keep his options open and avoid unnecessary complications in the future. He struck out and tried to cut the arms or legs of the attackers. He tried to attack extremities in order to push the foes back rather than do anything serious. He couldn’t count how many there were but did a decent job of keeping track of their positions. He backed up against the wall when the attackers pushed too hard, but in general, he was in a fairly comfortable position.

Some of them, or maybe it was just one, managed to get to the chest. There were a lot of them and they were poorly armed on top of that. They left as quickly and unannounced as they had come. Rezren was happy to have escaped another near death ordeal. With a sense of relief, he allowed himself to sit down for a moment. The stable ground was an odd comfort to the chaos that permeated the city and the mercenary’s own life.

Rezren scooted over to the cracked chest. He didn’t even pay attention to his ally. Maybe he was dead or alive. It didn’t really matter to him. The battle was over and his situational awareness had ended with it. It had been opened and he assumed whatever goods that were inside had been taken. All that was left were some cloth rags and an imprint that made it seem like some sort of box once sat in the chest, but he couldn’t be sure.

He had failed the old man, but the old man was nothing to him so the failure was similarly unsubstantial. “No use going to the destination now…” Rezren laughed. Life had been interesting in the last few days. He was learning to roll with the punches as long as he got out alive.

Rezren
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bojovnik Vybutit on July 19th, 2012, 2:58 am

Bojovnik heard Rezren getting ready to fight and made a quick glance over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't fighting to many at one time. If Rezren went down this fight would be over quickly and before he knew it. The other thugs body was lying limp on the ground his death seemed to realy anger one of the other thugs down Bojovniks side of the alley as he came charging head on in his direction. Hearing Rezrens warning to not kill them all he decided to follow orders and not kill them all. When the other thug finally made it to Bojovniks location he was out of breath and wheezing but he still managed to swing a dagger in Bojovniks direction. He leaned his head back avoiding the strike and swung his axe back at the thug but hitting him with the blunt of the blade. It was enough to stagger the man and make him step back giving bojovnik room to punch him across the face.

"Im not trying to kill them but I dont exactly want to die in some back alley for some other mans treasure."

Seeing nobody coming down this way he turned his head back and saw Rezren backed up on a wall. It was clear it was a tactful move but it let the crate open up. Three thugs were pulling object out and running off. Bojovnik turned his full body around and ran at them. It looked like they had a box in their hand. By the time he noticed only two of them were holding the box and that the third was gone a club was swung at his head when he was in full motion. Bojovnik flipped upside down and landed on the ground. When he finaly got back up the attackers were gone. Walking back to Rezren he saw him looking in the crate.

"No, no point in going to the meeting point I guess. I wish we had maybe one more guard. With just one more guy this may have worked. Thanks for having my back Rezren see you around."
Bojovnik Vybutit

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next