[Avanthal] Brainstorming Locations

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Siana Skyglow on April 28th, 2010, 3:36 pm

In the Avanthal OOC thread, Gossamer gave us all free rein to brainstorm and write up descriptions of locations for Avanthal. Feedback and suggestions are very welcome. Of course, Gossamer's word holds sway over all when it comes to anything Avanthalian, so I hope Gossamer will have good things to say or advice to give. :)

Here's my first attempt for the Crystal Hall, listed as "Avanthal's Center of Activity and Gathering Spot" in the Avanthal linkmap. I'll continue to work on other location descriptions and add them to this opening post. I'd rather not open up a whole new topic for each location, so I think that's the best way to keep them from getting lost without cluttering up the WD forum.

The Crystal Hall

The Crystal Hall is the central gathering place for citizens of Avanthal, located just a short walk north of the Ice Palace. All communal activities are conducted here, from large-scale dances and celebrations to small meetings of quilting circles or just friends playing games together. Open year-round, the Crystal Hall is especially lively and bustling during winter evenings, when many families come together to pass the long nights with stories, contests, and games.

Constructed of icestone, the Crystal Hall is a sprawling building surmounted by a sparkling, transparent dome. Like all the buildings in Avanthal, the Hall appears as fragile and translucent as ice, though it is in fact extremely sturdily and solidly built. Beautiful diamond-paned windows allow visitors to look out into the city. A marvel of craftsmanship, these windows are exceptionally thick to prevent heat loss, yet still clear enough for people inside the Crystal Hall to watch snow falling outside or Morwen's Lights dancing overhead. Some of the windows contain stained-glass panes in all the colors of a Vantha's eyes, turning outside light into jewel-like squares of kaleidoscopic radiance. Heavy double doors bedecked with the same diamond-shaped glass panes mark the main entrance into the Crystal Hall.

Inside, the Hall has a small entryway, where coats and hats can be hung, that leads into a spacious, high-ceilinged common area. The floors are laid with warm-hued wood that has been lovingly swept, waxed and scrubbed throughout the generations. Comfortable benches, padded chairs and tables are scattered around the Hall and can be easily pushed about into specific arrangements or to clear space for dancing or performing. Large fireplaces dominate all four walls, continually filling the common area with blazing warmth and light from fires that are never allowed to go out. The hiss and crackle of the fires form a constant counterpoint to any conversations or music. At night, the frosted-glass lamps set in sconces around the Hall are lighted, giving the interior an ambience of warmth and elegance. From the outside, the walls give off a soft golden glow and the windows sparkle with rich color when the Hall is illuminated from within.

If any visitor tires of company or conversation inside the Crystal Hall, they can seek peaceful solitude without having to brave the cold outside. The entryway where everyone leaves their coats also contains a narrow stairway that winds upward over the common area into the dome on top of the Crystal Hall. The icestone here has been chiseled to glass-like transparency, affording a marvelous view. However, the air here is noticeably colder than in the common area; visitors are well-advised to re-don their coats and hats before ascending the stairs. Thick, cozy rugs have been spread over the floor, allowing visitors to sit or lie down and watch the stars or falling snow outside.

The Crystal Hall is maintained by a family living in Avanthal, who sweep the floors, clean the tables and polish the lamps and windows that so beautifully illuminate the interior. Their matron is the person to see when it comes to scheduling or finding out about events held in the Crystal Hall. She is also known as an enthusiastic aspiring matchmaker who loves pairing up couples during festivals and feasts held at the Hall, often with hilarious results.
Last edited by Siana Skyglow on April 29th, 2010, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Words: 70143
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2010, 11:49 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on April 28th, 2010, 4:05 pm

I love what you did with this. My only comment is a small minor detail and that is I foresaw all the building materials translucent so that the hall is warm and weather free but rather than traditional stone (brown, grey, etc) they actually have a fairly hard 'crystal' that they use as masonry that actually looks like ice and shows light through easily enough... if its thin enough, it acts almost like glass. It comes from quarries near Avanthal and needs a name. So the hall at night would glow inside and out if there was illumination inside. The whole of Avanthal is going to be made out of this stuff.

Okay that being said, here's some info on the locations I have posted up.

• The Icewall Gates - these are the gates near the beast market that allow outsiders to come in off the wastes. They are manned by polar bear kelvics and their riders plus the locals pass through in their hunting endeavors.
  • The Luminary Commons - Main Eating Hall located within Icepearl Hold
  • Savintar Warrens - Guest Accommodations built in the basement of Icepearl.
  • The Menagerie - Beast Market on the leeward side of Avanthal away from the sea. This is near an unnamed location where the Avalanthal folks store frozen meat, food, etc
  • The Frozen Falls Market - This is the falls that feeds Mirrow Lake. They run down a sharp hill which Morwen's Palace is built on. The falls - having not ever been unfrozen since Avanthals foundings have different layers, they've carved steps into the various 'levels' and set up booths all over it. It's out in the weather but still pretty cool - most Avanthalians don't mind.
  • The Icepearl Hold - Common Avanthal Housing - first structure in Avanthal built after morwen's palace and contains pretty much everyone's living quarters.
  • The Sculpture Yard - Artists Haven and Hangout - basically where four streets come together in Avanthal between the Icepearl and the castle
  • The Windward Boardwalk - Park and palisade that runs along the sea outside the city... its mostly a strolling place with benches to watch Morwen's lights and gaze out over the sea. When they have festivals they usually unpack along the boardwalk because its relatively safe from predators though the icewatch doubles its guard since it is outside the city
  • The Ice Palace - Morwen's Residence - biggest structure in avanthal andmade of the clear building stone - super gorgeous
  • The Icewatch Barracks - Home of the Polar Bear Guards - off the courtyard of the ice palace
  • The Port of Avanthal - Seagates - only used half the year for ships - the other half of year its used for iceships which are like ships on sled runners that sail across the sea ice.
  • Mirror Lake - Ice Rink in the center of the city made up of a natural lake that no one ever remembers being unfrozen. It's fairly large, I'd say twice the size of a normal olympic rink
  • The Temple of Everwinter - Church for Morwen's Followers

I hope that helps!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Siana Skyglow on April 28th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Whew! When I first saw your long post with the big list of items in it, I freaked out because I thought those were all the corrections you wanted me to make. That would be pretty terrifying.

As it is, I really like the idea of the crystalline ice-like building material used for Avanthalian construction. I think the material probably deserves its own brief section in the Avanthal city write-up page and then we can refer to it by its proper name in all the locations. For names, what about something like "icestone," "icerock" or "crystalstone"? Also, can I suggest that the material look more like frosted ice (i.e. mostly opaque, like the ice in an ice rink) rather than transparent ice (like ice in an icicle)? Unless it's made very thin, of course. Showing some dim light or shadow is fine, but I'd worry about privacy issues if people could see through normal walls and doors with only minimal effort. :)

Anyway, thanks so much for the location info! I'll get to work on those as soon as I can. I should also note that I'm ridiculously bad at finding images, so I hope you or Hex or other talented people will volunteer their talents to help illustrate these locations in Avanthal.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on April 28th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Nope.. I'm just trying to give you that brief desc you asked for that I keep not getting too! I promise promise I'll have something up for you soon.. but in the meantime I can give you that to work with, ya know?
'
Love the name icestone. :)

You can probably make icestone clear, transparently so, or frost it like regular glass just by sandblasting it... reimancer style.

Sorrrrrryyyyy I'm such a bad bad bad consultant - there's just so much going on sitewise. You totally deserve a way more attentive helpful person.

EDIT Oh and I forgot to add that the frozen falls end in the mirror lake - all of it is ice so it doens't truly matter.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Siana Skyglow on April 29th, 2010, 4:34 pm

I edited the Crystal Hall description to reflect the building material. I also wrote up a quick description of icestone below. I changed my mind and decided to just put new material into new posts here; it just feels easier to keep track of everything, even if it's not all centralized in one post.

Icestone

Icestone is the primary masonry material that the Vantha used to construct all the buildings in Avanthal. This crystalline mineral is so named because it possesses both the color and luster of ice and the durability and hardness of granite. It naturally occurs only in deep deposits several miles from the city, where the frosty-white hexagonal crystals are mined in large quarries. Though normally milky and translucent, icestone can be chiseled and cut to such thinness that it appears as clear as glass. When polished, it truly resembles gleaming ice. When aglow beneath Morwen's Lights or the pale gleam of dawn or dusk, the icestone buildings of Avanthal take on a luminous, magical appearance, as though it were in fact a city sculpted of ice.

I'd like to add a possible weakness for icestone too. Right now, considering that it's a beautiful translucent crystal that's strong and tough enough to use for buildings, it seems a little too perfect. Would it be realistic for icestone to react somewhat like opal to relative humidity, in that it becomes brittle if there's too much water in the air? I would imagine that in a freezing-cold place like Avanthal, there isn't much water vapor in the air because it's all on the ground in the form of snow, but if someone tried to bring it south, the icestone would shatter all too easily. Is this okay?
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siana Skyglow on May 2nd, 2010, 2:50 am

Description for the Icewall Gates below. Please feel free to criticize.

The Icewall Gates

In the wintry wilderness of the far north, the city of Avanthal rises proudly over the ice fields and snowy forests of Taldera. Looking for all the world like a natural ice formation, an immense wall of translucent icestone surrounds the city. Beautifully detailed, larger-than-life reliefs of arctic animals and figures from Vantha folklore are etched all across the walls. On the southern wall, a pair of towering gates wrought from the massive trunks of Talderian trees stand open to outsiders coming from the wastes, as well as to citizens passing through on hunting expeditions. Heavy iron rings are affixed to the gates, allowing them to be pulled open or closed by the guards.

Standing guard on each side of the gate, two members of the Icewatch maintain constant vigilance over the entrance of Avanthal. Mounted on dire-sized polar bear Kelvics, these members of the goddess Morwen's honor guard present a formidable sight indeed. However, these guardsmen often prove extremely polite and welcoming toward all visitors to Avanthal, given how few people dare to brave the lengthy, arduous journey to the city. After inspecting everyone who comes within, the guards are usually perfectly willing to direct visitors to various locations in Avanthal, tell stories about the city, and wax poetic about the beauty and wisdom of their goddess-queen.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets