Predator and Prey (Zahlee)

In which Sal and Zahlee go a hunting and get more than they bargined for.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 14th, 2012, 11:05 pm

It was a mostly silent walk save for Salvatore’s own personal chatter and discussions with…well, honestly himself. Not surprising but a little distracting especially when he heard Zahlee’s sudden speech. Following the others lead he made himself stop and crouch down comfortably, looking nothing at all like a hunter and more like someone who was watching from the sides. And he was mostly. Occasionally looking from the tracks to the…deer? Whatever it was and then back again, to him the still looked like little rock impressions.

It was not surprising when he fell on his rear as another hunter joined them, this one being equipped much better after all who goes hunting with three arrows? “Maybe it’s a good amount.” Now is not the time to focus on that, focus on how we’re about to be torn limb from limb.

Salvatore watched the fear in the others face, obviously in fight or flight and leaning on the latter, Salvatore himself could feel his body responding much the same. Jumping up and tensing for the inevitable death. His mind was strangely slow though, worrying more about how deep the gashes were in the large cats prey. “We are going to be prey.”

He heard the near whisper of the other and nearly disobeyed the command but the cats keen interest on them had him nodding, “Right then, running it is.”

Turning on his heel he made to flee and promptly smashed his face into a tree and rolling to the side, feeling the heady rush of air and brush of fur as the ridiculous sized cat soared over him, missing him because of his own failing.

“We can’t actually outrun this.” We’re going to die. Standing shakily he set off at a brisk trot, ignoring the stinging sensation in his face, “Yes, we already covered that we’re going to be eaten, care to give any more helpful hints?!”

There’s another tree, and this argument is getting me nowhere.

Realizing it had been a little while since his last run in with anything this big or that wanted him for a snack he tried to speed up, his mind already accepting his death while his body warred with instinctual self-preservation. But already he could feel the heat in his lungs, the strain in his muscles and the stubborn thudding of their pursuer. Still he tried to push his body, using what little endurance he had to try and sprint as far out of reach as possible, wondering if they were even headed towards the city.

Salvatore didn’t fight the next event though, the moment the weight collided with his side it was as if what was left of his energy drained. He felt the bite of claws and thick warmth on his side, “Big cat.” Didn’t even notice, was too busy running, I should probably start fighting now. Trying to one last ditch effort he thrust his hand forward and aimed for the animals eyes. It made contact though not without repercussions, the mighty paw swatting and no doubt tearing his side more as it batted him away.

“Well that hurt.”
Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Words: 31584
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Zahlee on July 15th, 2012, 5:53 pm

"Sal!" Zahlee yelled as he turned back hearing the yowl of the miststalker. He couldn't tell how bad the wounds were but he wasn't about to let Sal die. A man shouldn't go like this. He thought to himself as he notched an arrow to his bow, taking only a few seconds to aim before releasing the arrow. Sadly it missed the intended target, the miststalkers chest cavity, and instead slid across the animal's cheek slicing it open.

As the cat let out another horrible yowl, Zahlee started swearing underneath his breath. Dash it all! Why can't I aim better?! He thought to himself but his thoughts were cut short as the stalker charged right by Sal, subsequently knocking him on his romp, and took a running leap at Zahlee. Unable to do anything else he took his mother's bow in both hands and braced himself. At first it was like time stood still, his senses were going into over drive and he thought he could be able to fight the cat off. That bold confidence was however crushed immediately as the stalker slammed into him. He lost his footing, and fell to the ground so hard it knocked the air right out of him making the struggle even harder.

As Zahlee lay pinned down with the stalker's vile breath plaguing his nose, with nothing more than a wooden bow in between him and certain death he did the only thing he could do. He began to pray as tears began to stream down his face. Mother Caiyha, please hear my plea. I know I have resented you before because of my parents' death, and although it is still a fresh wound on my heart I have come to understand that it was their love for me that caused their deaths, not you. So please. I beg of you to save us now, and not let their deaths to be in vain!
Zahlee
Player

Words: 10647
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 16th, 2012, 12:21 am

So now it’s going to eat us both? “Probably.” Gently probing his side he tried to gauge how deep the cuts were the same way he did with the bears. Applying light pressure around it and craning his neck to see if he could estimate the depth. He assumed, since they were still bleeding, it was fairly deep but not life threatening at this point. But experience told him just as with animals it the bleeding didn’t stop…

“Not likely too either.” Got that right. As the beast charged by once more Salvatore only looked in both amazement and shock. They were fleeting things followed closely by a disassociated type of on looking. He couldn’t muster much of anything but he felt himself try to prop himself up, gripping the bark of the tree so hard it left splinters in his hands. It felt as if something was not right and he wondered if perhaps something was broken, it would explain his own wheezing. Going to try and help him then? It won’t work.

For once he didn’t answer himself, something that was not quite desperation fueling his actions, he was no one’s good samaritan but Zahlee had tried to help him first. With a wild cry (slightly giddy) Salvatore picked up the nearest rock and chucked it towards the animal. The first did nothing but pause its kill strike and Salvatore couldn’t help but think it was just like a cat to play with its food. Picking up another pebble Salvatore threw again, this time his body rejected the effort, he side singing with a fierce burn that he had only felt a few times before.

He didn’t exactly enjoy people dying and using what he could he tried to inch closer to it, waving his arms and yelling loudly (more like talking) to the creature. “Come here you big furry…thing!” Yes, very menacing and articulate to boot! He snorted slightly and seen the creatures head turn in his direction, it growled lowly in its throat. It was obviously not a happy camper.

“Neither am I.”

Not precisely paying attention to what he was doing he lowered himself and raced forward, planning to head butt that cat and hope they wouldn’t get eaten…as quickly. The beast did nothing but dart out of the way and swat at the same side yet again, knocking him back so it could circle around them but its mouth was not a happy grin. It was a snarl and Salvatore simply shrugged, once more accepting that what he was doing was mostly pointless. Today is just not my day.
Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Words: 31584
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Zahlee on August 6th, 2012, 3:08 am

Using the distraction he quickly jumped to his feet and through a fit of desperation he took his mother's bow in his hands and swung as hard as he could nailing the beast square in the head. As a result the bow shattered in his hands and left the stalker with a splitting headache. Noticing that the beast was staggering a bit from the suddenness of the blow he sprinted to where Sal stood and wrapped his arm around his.

"I think now would be a good time to go" Zahlee stammered as he started dragging Sal away as fast as he could. Just then if by some weird coincidence or a miracle the sun broke through the mist surrounding the two with bright and warming sunshine. Feeling the warmth wash over him gave Zahlee renewed strength and began dragging Sal with renewed vigor. Yet something felt odd to Zahlee and he chanced a glance behind him. That's when he noticed the stalker hissing at the sunlight for a few brief moments then turning to disappear into the misty woods behind him.

"It seems we're safe for now but we need to get those wounds looked at." he said wearing a worried look as he re-situated Sal on his shoulder and began to make the long trek back to the city.
Zahlee
Player

Words: 10647
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous