Saving Your Own Skins (Salar, Pelham, Invite Only)

Brave Dhani venture out into the Jungle Wilds in search of a lost snakeling. They find much more...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Schism on July 19th, 2012, 1:10 am

Players: Noravennsalar, Sserapelham
Location(s): Zinrah’s Tunnels and Ruins, The Jungle Wilds
Time Stamp: 26-27th Summer 512 A.V.

The voices echoed down the east tunnel the Dhani party was to meet at. A mother had only now taken notice that her son was missing in the Jungle Wilds, and a request was set out immediately. Her family, as the nest now knows, denied her request, calling her a fool for having let her son stray so far from her sight, and more foolish yet for suggesting a party of Dhani go searching for him! Ha! The life of a snakeling, worth that of four, maybe five other, able bodied Dhani? Never! Still, the fools gathered in their own company. Their names echoed throughout Zinrah, as well as their reputations.

To be brief with introductions, the party was headed by the snakeling’s mother, Svanri. Besides being incredibly stupid in her suggestion, she was known to be as spiteful as they come. She wasn’t a total failure in Siku’s eyes. Volunteers from other families came as well. There was Katashk, an avid hunter and aspiring pupil of the sword. His times in the Jungle would serve to guide the party and keep them alive. There were only rumors that the Queen herself suggested an able bodied Dhani with a sensible mind go along to make sure everything was kept covert, and the Dhani worth keeping alive. Jyaharis was the last of the party to have already arrived. The Training Gallery was short a mace that evening, the Dhani thinking it smart to bring a weapon along. She was right, not that she could use the thing well. Her life is perhaps the one the Queen hoped to protect though, as she is young and an aspiring priestess with a strong mind on her shoulders. Her skills in medicine and herbalism have saved a few hunters who have felt Myrian stings.

They had been speaking, or at least the women were chattering, long before the late comers were arriving. Their voices shamelessly rang through the east tunnel to the whole of Zinrah. Their voices, thankfully, did not break through the ruins.

Where are they?” asked Svanri impatiently. The mother’s anger and frustration were to be a first challenge to overcome in this whole ordeal.

They were coming, I saw them. Have patience, mother Svanri.” Jyaharis sought to calm the mother’s mind and guide her down a path of patience. The aspiring priestess had the proper mind set for the task at hand.

Katashk looked back toward the dark end of the tunnel. He heard them coming long ago. Giving a glance to Svanri, her visage masked in shadows as the last streaming rays of twilight blackened her face; the mother approached the new comers.

You took your time. Your names? Speak quickly, my child’s life hangs in the balance!” The demands of a mother echoed down the tunnel. She gestured to Salar first, the young male leading the way down a tunnel he has passed through many times in his short life. Katashk looked back out the tunnel observing the last of Syna’s rays to graze the canopy before falling behind the living silhouette. Jyaharis shared Svanri’s curiosity and greeted the rest of the party with a firm nod, and mumbled prayers.

We move soon. Twilight is upon us,” said Katashk, ever vigilant. His tone was low and his words concise. “Be quick with your introductions.
Last edited by Schism on August 5th, 2012, 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Kara Sunderwater on July 19th, 2012, 8:26 am

In his large Dhani form, Salar dipped his head in apology to the anxious mother. Her ire and anxiety were well-deserved, considering the crisis on hand. There were those who called him stupid for volunteering, that this undertaking was a fool's errand. Let them say what they would, Salar decided. A snakeling was missing. The loss of even one Dhani, in Salar's mind, was a loss for the whole nest. Only the short-sighted would consider this to be a useless venture. It had not been too long ago that he had been considered a snakeling. If foolishness was part of the hot-blooded nature of youth, Salar welcomed it. They were the strongest of all Dhani, Siku's Chosen, and what was that honor, pride and bluster worth if they could not protect a single snakeling? If strength determined worth, the Constrictors would be worthless because they lacked the strength to do that. So Salar came here, tonight, to prove that some Constrictors were strong enough to protect even the weakest snakeling. Or, failing that, to avenge his death tenfold.

The large, if young, male wore nothing except for a few strips of cloth, mainly to break up the pattern of his scales. Even though it was getting dark, Sal was not willing to risk the danger of being identified because of his distinctive orange pattern. He carried a halberd in his right hand, though he was ready to admit that his skill with the weapon wasn't quite more than knowing how to swing it.

In turn, he repeated the motion to the others assembled and made his greetings to them. "Are we all?" he asked, looking from Svanri to Katashk then to Jyaharis. Mother, hunter, healer, and now muscle. Salar noted. He had never spoken to any of those assembled before but in a small, close-knit community like Zinrah, he had certainly heard of and seen them before. They were all older than he, which placed them higher in the social hierarchy. Salar, as the most junior, was prepared to simply become a follower, ready to bring his weapon or physical strength to bear against whatever he was ordered to face.
Kara Sunderwater
Player

Words: 36572
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Race: Human, Svefra

Postby Sserapelham on July 20th, 2012, 5:32 am

26-27th Summer 512 A.V.
Pelham followed closely behind Salar down the east tunnel. Except she wasn't in her human form at all she was all thirty feet of pure muscular snake. Pelham was a much lighter Constrictor Dhani, inside her mouth rested the wooden part of two Kama blades and a balled up red dress, of course Pelham was able to open her mouth wide enough to hold her items. She slithered from side to side keeping her serpentine head up high watching Salar closely. Soon the two Dhani reach the mother in need. Pelham took note of the party. Kept it buried in her head that there was a healer near by in case of any injury that could have happened to either herself or any other party member.

The Dhani woman heard the mother say her child's life hung in the balance. Personally, Pelham couldn't have cared less about the woman's child. It was lost in the jungle wilds. What were the chances of the snakeling making it back alive? Pelham spat out the red dress and the two Kama, they landed flat on the ground in front of her. In her snake form, Pelham hissed a few words of the snake tounge. "I'm here. The lost child...."

Before Pelham could finish what she needed to say she slowly began to change. It took time. The Dhani began to shrink in size, arms began to grow. And her tail split slowly into two very pale legs. Her teeth began to shrink and her human teeth grow again one by one. After exactly thirty seconds a huge constrictor snake changed into a five foot ten inched blond.

Pelham had no clothes on. But she didn't care that anyone was really watching. Bending down the naked Dhani lifted the dress and placed one foot inside of the top. And then the next pulling the dress up from below. One strap and then the next, Pelham pulled them over both of her shoulders. The knee length red dress covered her parts now.

The Dhani opened her human mouth and closed it a couple of times. Right after she bends and lifts the two Kama blades holding them by their wooden handle. One in each hand. The curved blades at the top of each Kama looked like a sickle. Pelham's facial expressions were now visible. She showed distaste for what the party was about to go through. Looking at the mother, Pelham introduced herself in the common language and then spoke her mind.

"I am Pelham, daughter of Ssera. Of course I'm here to assist you but I have a very serious question. Why would we risk our lives for a small male snakeling? And what if we do find him and he's dead? Or worse, injured. Becoming useless to the nest. Would we risk ourselves for that? I know your child's life is at stake but you can always find another mate and try again." Pelham's words were harsh but she stood by what she needed to say. And that's what she REALLY thought on the matter. A small male snakeling who could have been dead wasn't worth all the trouble.
Sserapelham
Dhani Diva

Words: 10770
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2012, 1:03 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Schism on July 20th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Salar, greeted with little more than a nod of confirmation from Katashk, was observant in noting the ire of the mother. Suspicions were put to proof when Pelham produced her own point. Jyaharis motioned to speak, but Svanri was all over the sassy blonde and her antics. Katashk’s words held still, day light was dwindling, and though there was time to spare, they’d best be moving. Thus, the mother was brief.

I’ll forgive your insults this time, for you are young, pretty, and stupid,” Svarni opened with. Katashk’s gaze held steady, glancing back at Salar. Surely the men knew what this meant for the duration of the trip. Jyaharis’s mouth shut knowing what was coming; Pelham already woke up the monster mother. “We’re risking our lives for my son. I pray to Siku that he still walks this world. I assure your lacking mind that we have come prepared for any scenario, that at least his remains may be delivered back home…

“You, you however can stay here for all I care. Your questions show no amusement or thought to them. We are here because we accept such risks and care for our own…unlike some. You have the choice to make – and I stress this is a very important choice for you – whether you wish to come and save your own kin, or stay here and save your own. The choice is yours, just be aware…not only does that dress not suit your curves, but you look like a bloody red target. Your common is also lacking a flavor to it… So best watch your tone.

“Does anyone else have any oh-so insightful questions to share?
” Her words rolled off biting in snaketongue.

Svanri… Svanri, perhaps it is best we not waste more time. Now is our best chance,” Katashk interrupted. Svanri snarled and lead her way out through the tunnel into the dusk covered world. Jyaharis followed Svanri, and urged Pelham follow her. Katashk was sure to stop any advances from the late comers though, seeming to have some words of his own to share.

You were not here when I said this, so I will repeat myself. You are to keep to your Dhani or snake forms, for we cannot risk exposure to the Myrians. Speak in snaketongue strictly, for the same reasons. Speak as little as you can.” Katashk looked back to the mouth of the tunnel, noting Svanri was far from ear shot. Jyaharis was still waiting. “She is in charge her, and I suggest you don’t challenge her again. I only agree with all she says; she is wise. The dress cannot come, though your blades are welcome, Pelham. Your coloring – Salar was it – is rather unfortunate for the day. I suggest you leave your own cloth here too. The red hues of twilight will cover you, and if not shadows to come. Past the blockade, the flora is plentiful in quantity and color. You will have camouflage there.

“I will have no more of these outbursts from you,
” Katashk stated directly to Pelham, “And I expect no such thing from you, Salar. We are here because we wish to save a life that has not yet tasted life for what it’s really worth. His absence is disturbing, more than anything. Snakelings are usually kept under watch. I want him back to figure out just who gave him the idea to leave the nest, or worse.

“You do have a decision to make, Pelham. If you care for your nest, then you won’t question your elders. I personally don’t care if you come or not; less for me to worry about. If you do, keep your fangs in place and for Siku’s sake cause no trouble. Otherwise, stay here and leave us. I don’t want you coming if that’s your aim, trouble. We’ve wasted enough time, let us move.

Jyaharis pulled alongside Pelham in the rear, far from Svanri.

I agree with you. Let us pray to Siku for the child’s life? I have been since I first heard of this tragedy. Though, similarly I hope our efforts here are not in vain. I do hope we find him and retreat back to Zinrah at once. The jungle troubles me, the Myrians… savages… I’d rather we not lose ourselves out there as well. Promise me you’ll help if we need to turn back? I’d rather not lose Svanri as well as her child.

“Aye, and pray…
” Jyaharis, though listening for Pelham’s promise in word, also bowed her head in prayer to Siku, silent prayer. The mace loosely strapped to her wrist jingled back and forth over her dark green and brown skin. Her lighter undertones highlighted the concern in her face. It seemed her fears of the jungle and Myrians delved deeper than she lead on.

Katashk lead the way up behind Svanri, leading Salar as well. Katashk has a crooked grin, noticing the Dhani youth’s enthusiasm and obedience. He’d make a find mate for a woman one day.

You give them a little power and they all become crazed. We will need their strength in the end. Best stay out of it, I figure. You…have your own say. Ignore me, I forget my place sometimes. Let’s bring them home alive.

They approached Svanri closer.

What are they chatting about?

Pray to Siku, Svanri. We all should, as they do. We are ready to head into the jungle at your will.” Katashk looked back for Pelham to see what her decision was: if she would stay or follow. Salar was obviously eager, though no other took notice but Katashk. Svanri paused to look back at the young women who followed with similar anticipation. The mother’s face was still, without warmth. Maybe that’s why the child ran away, huh? She wanted an answer though. Twilight was fully upon them, the light of Syna not so much as glancing over the tallest trees in the jungle. The ruins cast their shadows under Leth’s still early light.
Last edited by Schism on August 5th, 2012, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schism

Office

Postby Kara Sunderwater on July 25th, 2012, 3:10 am

Salar looked at the older female, almost twenty years his senior. That really did leave him as the most junior! Which, in turn, meant he ought to keep quiet unless spoken to or if urgency demanded it. Even if Salar knew how the social hierarchy of Zinrah worked and how to best succeed within it, that did not equate to his particular enjoyment of it. At many times, the complete obedience to a female resulted in positive results. After all, Siku was female and thus, it made sense for her to choose the women to be dominant. But at other times, an inexperienced female hunter could lead a group astray. Or an overly flustered mother.

Pelham's question, though, prickly was certainly a good one. Everyone was here with the same goal, but for what reason? Salar knew his but now, he was beginning to wonder about the others. Why was Pelham here? Katashk? And Jyaharis? Just like him, all of them risked their lives but were they here for the same reasons? Salar didn't think so. After all, how many Dhani used his logic of strength and worth? Most of them used far more complex philosophies to guide them.

Well, a prickly question received a prickly reply. Young, pretty, and stupid. Salar kept himself from throwing a sideways glance at Pelham to see her reaction. But whatever it was, unless she really was thick-skinned, Salar anticipated further friction between the two women. If it was a power game, Salar wanted no part of it. Determining which female would be dominant right now only harmed the snakeling's chances. But Salar would damned before he interfered between the women. But with the older hunter, Salar felt less guarded sharing his thoughts.

"I intend to stay out of it. One is crazed with worry for her child, the other," he motioned a shoulder at Pelham, "I don't know what her agenda is. I just want to find this snakeling and knock sense into him." He kept his voice low, between the two of them, hoping that it would not be heard by Svanri. He felt for the mother but she was hardly showing any real gratitude for the willingness of the volunteers gathered.
Kara Sunderwater
Player

Postby Sserapelham on July 26th, 2012, 6:24 pm

26-27th Summer 512 A.V.
The Dhani was taken back by what the angry mother had said to her. There was no way for Pelham to come back at the mother with an answer so she remained quiet. Once she was told that the dress couldn't come she ripped it off her body in anger. Then she slowly shifted into her Dhani form, keeping the humanoid torso so she could carry her two Kama.

Katashk commanded that he get no more outbursts from Pelham. The Dhani simply cut her eye at Katashk and went along with it. As the group moved Pelham sat still for a second. But the thought of disappointng her nest and the Queen got to Pelham so she slithers to catch up with the group deciding that she'd tag along.

Jyaharis pulled along side Pelham and began to speak. The thought of someone agreeing with Pelham was great. Best thing that happened to the blonde Dhani that entire night. Pelham responded to Jyaharis very lightly in the snake tounge "I'll be with you all the entire way. May as well be seen as a beautiful hero, hmm?" Pelham tried to joke.

Boldly Pelham moves to the front until she's right next to Svanri. Slowly she whispers "Maybe I was a bit disrespectful seeing as you're my elder. And we have to be on the same page if we want to survive." That was Pelham's way of saying I'm sorry. The Dhani looked down to her Gold metal Kama.
Sserapelham
Dhani Diva

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kara Sunderwater on August 2nd, 2012, 3:52 am

Wasted breath Salar thought. He saw the younger female, Pelham, whisper something to Svanri. He couldn't hear what passed between them but, as far as Salar was concerned, it was wasted because Svanri's eyes were clouded by worry. The mother's head was not clear and that portended for short, sharp summer storms.

So he wondered whether he ought to warn Pelham not to think less with her tongue but then Salar reminded himself of the situation. Youngest, male Dhani. If anyone had no right to speak, it was him. But someone had to intervene before Pelham ... Oh too late.

The male Dhani knew he could be very blunt, verbally and physically. Intelligence was not a gift that Siku seemed to have bestowed upon him. Instead, it seemed to all go to his physical stature. However, even without a stunning mind, Salar knew plenty of common sense. Either one learned the harsh realities of life in Zinrah and the Falyndar wilds or one died. Usually in a gruesome, painful and typically unpleasant manner.

What Pelham had just said sounded like she wanted to aggravate the situation more. Why couldn't she just let Svanri do things however she wanted to? Once they were outside, they'd be able to get some space between themselves and the overbearing mother. Salar made a hiss at Pelham to grab her attention and motion for her to silence herself. He knew it could be taken as giving her an order but he hoped she was smart enough to realize that he was trying to advise her. But then, not every female was as smart as they all thought they were.
Kara Sunderwater
Player

Postby Sserapelham on August 5th, 2012, 1:29 am

26-27th Summer 512 A.V.
The Glamorous Dhani continued to speak to the mother with a series of hisses paying no attention to the fact that she was extremely worried about her little snakeling. "So basically where I'm getting at is, I was out of line. And I'm so- Pelham heard another hiss. She turned her head all the way around.

It was the male, Salar. He DISRESPECTED Pelham. The Diva Dhani felt rage build up inside her. No male had ever stood up to her before. It was madness, in Zinrah males never even lifted a finger to Pelham. Let alone the young ones.

Pelham took it as a slap in the face. She didn't understand that Salar was trying to help the situation. Pelham unleashed hell in hisses. "Who do you think you are?" Pelham stopped and turned around resting her body in Salar's way. She didn't care that the group would have to stop again because of her.

"Child! Who do you think you're TALKING to? I could make your life in Zinrah so bad you'd wish that you were in the snakeling's place. You'd never find a mate, you'd never find work. I could ruin you before your adult life gets started!"

The Dhani took a break and caught her breath. She the realized that she had gotten really loud. But it was too late to take it back. Still, it felt good to Pelham that she possibly put Salar in his place.

"I'm not taking this disrespect. I earned my keep. And I'm beautiful." Pelham then stopped talking all together.
Sserapelham
Dhani Diva

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Schism on August 6th, 2012, 12:05 am

The other two might have wished they were invisible. Svanri saw their every motion, heard their every word, but failed to predict the outcome. The others? Well they couldn’t help but sit back and try to not stir the pot even more. The mother had only bothered to glance at Pelham as she spoke. The insult to her pride kept her distant from the female. She’d deal well once her ego was left to rest. Katashk and Jyaharis had their own personalities in motion too. The man blocked his eyes with his hand while she nearly lunged forward. It was Pelham outburst that brought them to move, but Svanri was still.

Pelham did stop talking, seeing her throat was sealed shut by the iron grasp of Svanri. Turn your back on a Dhani and bad things happen, especially when one happens to be a beyond flustered mother in pain.

I will have silence…” Svanri held Pelham, even lifting her a bit, her veteran strength perhaps unrivaled among the group. She ignored the fact of Pelham’s obvious struggles to breathe and continued, “It doesn’t matter who he thinks he is when you’re slithering around acting like such a diva. Now, silence…” Svanri’s dagger shaped eyes stared directly into Pelham’s soul. Her whole body, eyes, arms, were unmoving, and the stone cold stare peered into Pelham. Svanri would see Pelham’s life force wavering, the lack of air suffocating, and then, and only then did she release the girl as she saw the look of terror in her ears spilling from her heart. The girl valued her life, this was to be one of life’s lessons.

Pelham dropped like a land slide. Katashk made no motion to help her, nor Jyaharis. Katashk knew what the latter did not.

And Salar…” a voice echoed back through the tunnel from the cave mouth, “Know your place.” Though less than a lash of the whip, Salar had been called out. Worse yet, he was known to her now…name, appearance. It would be beneficial to his status in the nest to know his place, but what of his own life? That was to be determined.

Jyaharis was tending to Pelham when Svanri turned from them, the wrathful one trudging through the dirt and rock for the ruins. The girl had not been as severely injured as she might have thought. Still, the tenderness of the priestess reached out to the “diva.”

Come, you will be well.” Katashk’s voice followed the gesture. “[color=white]If she wanted to have hurt you, she’d have grabbed higher up. Katashk gestured a thumb to the back of his own throat compared to over the jugular. The male turned and followed Svanri. Twilight was upon them. It was time to slip through the Myrian blockade…

The eldest took their time piercing the ruins and leaving into the jungle. Jyaharis was amongst the others, ready to push forward into the jungle. The determination in that one’s eyes, the darting at Svanri’s backside, spelled trouble…perhaps doubts. It could have been for a number of reasons though. The jungle was unusually peaceful and quiet. The birds did chirp their calls, but no brush moved. The blockade, it seemed, was just as incapable as the day of the Djed Storm. The Dhani had a while to go before they were sure to be clear of the blockade and well into the jungle. Still, there unusual stillness of the Myrian patrols was odd.
Schism

Office

Postby Kara Sunderwater on August 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Salar bowed his head in silent acknowledgment. Well, he was glad to know now that he ought not to put too much stock into Pelham's ability to catch a hint. Clearly, her world revolved around herself and whatever reasons she had for being here were selfish ones. Probably how good she would look if she came back with the child to be lauded as a heroine. That attitude, often, was what annoyed Salar about some Constrictor females. Their self-centered agendas rather than any true communal interest. Males were their subordinates, yet expected to be full contributors to the nest. Salar had no issue being subordinate to females since, in the end, he was a subordinate of the goddess, Siku.

But whenever he encountered the selfish attitudes of females like Sserapelham, he wondered why she, the individual, was superior in the first place. She couldn't have been much more older than he since Svanri had called her young too. So he brushed off the insult of being called a child like rain off his skin. And her threats weren't terribly impressive since it was obvious that some older females like Svanri would hardly take her seriously. And for a threat to work on him, he first had to have fear of the person issuing the threat. He chuckled inwardly at the thought of him being afraid of Pelham. The joke around his clutch was that he was too stupid to be afraid of anything. Which might be true, he considered, wondering what exactly made him too terrified to act. He came up with nothing at the top of his head.

The young male restrained himself from throwing a glance at Pelham to see if she had become any more physically imposing. Certainly an attractive female but after just now, not enough for Salar to even want to think about her beyond her role in this expedition. If she wanted to be a threat to him, she would have kept silent and done what she had threatened to do without giving him warning. Either she was posturing or being foolish. Salar really hoped it was the former. Having a fool on this expedition would not be ... beneficial.

He gripped the shaft of his halberd tighter. The weapon's weight and length suited him. It dealt raw, physical force onto his opponent, making it ideal for a Constrictor of his size and skill. The only issues that Salar had with it was that he still wasn't terribly good at swinging it accurately. Hard, fast misses were useless. Though he did like how some dead Myrians had once thought that the polearm was his clumsily-used weapon. Salar was a much better fighter with his fists and body, though the dangers of a knife to the gut usually meant that he didn't simply throw himself foolishly at the first Myrian he saw.

A surreptitious look around told him that the surface was near. But not quite how far. This was not a tunnel he was terribly familiar with so the young Dhani put his uneasy faith in Svanri's leadership, for now.
Kara Sunderwater
Player

Next