[Performing Arts Centre] The raising curtains (Solo)

In which Nai has her first acting class.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Nai'shee on July 19th, 2012, 9:02 pm

The rising curtains
Timestamp: 6th of Summer 512AV

Entering the Performing Arts Centre, young woman had no choice but to remain breathless. She had no idea that such a rich place even exists, much less within University. Everything was either decorated with red and golden colors, with dozens of rich mosaics in some ancient styles Nai'shee will never know of, as far as she's concerned. Place was big as dozen of Entrance Halls put together and taller than Nai'shee would ever guess. Her head slowly turned from left to right, trying to see every detail of giant room.

"Hey, hey there, a new student!", somebody said enthusiastically. "Are you, by any chance, Nai'shee?" He said his name as if he tried to remember it correctly, gesturing for her to approach. He, alongside few other students, was at the last row of seats before the stage. Nai'shee hurried down, mostly jumping across long stairs.

"Yes, I am!", she responded shortly, not wishing to yell too much since her voice echoed a bit, irritating her. It must have been designed like that so actors would be louder or it just couldn't be avoided due to the size of the room. When she reached the stage, man spoke to her again.

"Nai'shee, it's pleasure to see you, I already thought you won't be coming to classes!", he said. The truth was, Nai'shee skipped her classes all the time and her old Professors gotten used to it, so they allowed her to come when she pleases and held her classes if they weren't busy. It was compromise for both sides, she wouldn't be disturbing other students with her babbles and Professors could keep an eye on everyone so they wouldn't overuse Djed. On the other side, she had less classes, but Professors could concentrate only on her during them, so she was getting things much more quickly. She wasn't studious type, she needed someone to properly explain everything so she would get it.

"I'm Professor Zeaumont!", he explained. "Please, sit alongside others. I would like you to introduce to the class."

ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nai'shee on July 19th, 2012, 10:36 pm

She didn't want to seem rude to her new Professor, but for a moment she was stunned. She thought he was another student. He was older than her, but not much, maybe five of six years. He was really young to be a teacher, especially performing arts teacher. If he only taught acting or something she could understand, somebody devoting his life to something could master it by his age, but she was told she will be taught by performing arts teacher.

However, she said nothing. She was sure he had his story and she was pretty sure he would share it if it was meant for students. He wouldn't want weird rumors spread, so if it wasn't weird she would hear it soon enough. She did as she was told to, sitting down.

"I'm Nai'shee", she began. She felt a bit anxious, wondering if those people wanted more of her performance. Most of them were probably future actors, while she just wanted to learn to fake emotions a bit better. "I'm student here for a while", she skipped the fact she was studying magic, just in case. "I'm also Zeltivan, I lived here for almost sixteen years now", it was obvious that she was really young child, she didn't look much maturer than she was, neither the opposite. "I want to become a sailor one day", she shrugged, not knowing what else to say.

"You see, that was-", Professor Zeaumont paused, searching for a word, "plain. Boring. You didn't leave any expression, except for the fact you seem a bit extroverted. We're going to fix that soon, but for now just listen. We've been talking about body language. Not in plays, in general. I wanted to concentrate my first lessons only to body language. Your movements, ticks, mimics, voice, all the little things you fail to notice which reveal much about your emotions. For example, look at this."

He made few steps backwards so they would have better view. "I'm Leon", he said, closing his eyes and shortly nodding to audience. "I'm Professor at The University of Zeltiva", he added proudly, pushing his chest forward. "I'm Zeltivan, born and raised, dreaming of making career as theater performer", he gestured with his hand, counting things he said on his finger, seeming as if he was counting his own qualities. Nai'shee noticed he was following the pattern she used in her introduction. "What else should I say?", he asked, now annoying the girl. He made obviously fake innocent face, shrugged, and raised his palms at the same. She wanted to complain, but he rose his finger.

"Now", he peremptorily said, "look at this." He made few steps to his left, as if he was trying to make them visualize two different mans. He caught his left arm in palm of his right hand and crossed his legs, nervously looking at them and the floor. "I'm Leon", he said, much quieter than last time. "I'm Professor at the University... Zeltivan. I really want to be actor someday."

Nai'shee grinned, noticing what point he was trying to make. He made few more steps, this time looking at them only while telling his name, and then looking at the door as if he waited for someone to come in. "I'm Leon, Professor from Zeltiva, likely future actor. Nice to meet you."

"Alright, alright, we get it!", a girl, a bit older than her stated. She was sitting besides a boy extremely similar to her. They might be siblings. Her arms and legs were crossed and she angled her head looking at Professor Zeaumont.

"Sssh Lea!", said the boy besides her angrily.

Professor stopped his little show, looking down at the girl, who stubbornly looked back. He seemed angry. "That's nice, Lea! You seem to learn fast! That looked exactly like an annoyed student! Now, I have a little practice for you, let's all try to seem bored and introverted." He was looking back at the girl, obviously daring her to complain more. She had no obligation to come to the classes after all. He probably wasn't used to it, people learning performing arts were usually cheerful or determined people, but there were few arrogant types here and there, Nai'shee guessed. She didn't know much of art, but she imagined it to be like that.

ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nai'shee on July 27th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Bored? What do you do when you're bored? The girl was never bored, really. She always had something in mind. She tried to relax in her seat and stare, but she constantly glanced at Professor Zeaumont seeking approval and she even smiled few times, seeing other tries, wondering if she seemed that way.

"No, no, no, relax", their teacher told them, "nobody is going to judge you if you make a mistake. It's everyone's first time at acting. If you're nervous you'll never seem bored! Those two feelings clash."

Nai'shee understood his words, but they didn't help one bit. She was afraid that others might be way better. She had no education and constant feel of being inferior followed her on all of her public classes. Luckily, most of her classes were private and this one was supposed to help her boost her self-esteem at least a bit.

Professor Zeaumont started walking from one student to another fixing their mistakes. He talked really quietly and calmly, so Nai'shee was almost unable to hear what he told to others. She was happy that comments won't be heard and angry because she couldn't fix her mistakes while he approached. She tried to make her eyes stop following him, since that was probably sign of interest.

"Nai'shee, that's pretty good!", he commented. "You got staring off the right way, but the fact you were actually interested bothered you. You must turn off your surroundings when you act, just let emotion lead you. If you feel it's easier that way recall some time you were truly bored. The vivider the memory the more realistic your acting will be. Also, your body must seem a little bit more tired. If you want you can do something repetitive, like rubbing your fingers, playing with hair or tapping toes. You got everything, you just didn't got it realistically enough."

He clapped his hands. "So", he began, "in average that was really good. I want you to practice this for next class. I won't burden you much more, but I want you to remember what I just showed you well. Until the end of the class we'll just make some vocal practices. I'll show you a rhyme or something similar and you'll have to repeat it quickly. That's exercise everyone goes trough until they master it, so their tongue wouldn't tangle while you speak."

Rest of the class went in vocal exercises. Nai'shee wasn't even aware how much she would get wrong, mostly in accent, while speaking quickly. She might did that during normal conversations, since she usually had much to say and wanted to shorten it. It was much more of a problem to the girl then body language. Professor told her it was normal for people to struggle at that part in the beginning and that she would get better, but she felt like a child suddenly discovering a mistake it made whole life.

In the end of the class Professor reminded them to practice seeming bored and wished them good day. Nai'shee hurried, since she had to catch up with today's Reimancy class and she also had to meet with old man Anselm to get her map and money. All in all, she liked acting even more than she hoped. She might take another hobby. Or she could submit to some job as barmaid or shop clerk is. She smiled imagining herself in cute uniform. No, that definitely didn't suit her.

ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Arcane on August 7th, 2012, 7:38 am

Rewards and Treasure!

Experience Points
+2 Acting
+1 Observation

Lores
University of Zeltiva: Performing Arts Centre
Professor Leon Zeaumont the Performing Arts Teacher
Different Expressions in Acting
Vocal Exercises in Acting

Miscellaneous
n/a

Comments
I would really like to see the acting and performing part expanded on :) Maybe you could ask Tock for tips on performing!

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes