Closed [Flashback]Thwarting Tanroa(Evalin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Flashback]Thwarting Tanroa(Evalin)

Postby Ignotus Everto on August 13th, 2012, 4:35 am

Image18th of Fall, 480AV

The Wright Memorial Library was crowded today. The first nips of cold were coming to Zeltiva, and it had driven many of the less hardy of the city into their homes for shelter. For one of them, home was in these halls, surrounded by musty tomes and freshly pressed books. A lanky, middle aged man was sitting on a bench. He had dirty blonde hair with a few strands of grey. He had laugh lines, and permanent creases in his brow, and his green eyes had a couple cataracts. His nose and cheeks were red with cold. His foot was resting on his knee, a small tower of tomes were by his side and a copy of the Treval Codex was in his lap. His favorite book. He must have read it at least a dozen times before. Some may have seen the words on its pages as an interesting piece of pre-Valterrian propaganda, or a curious introduction to magic. For Ignotus Everto, however, every last letter of the volume was the closest he had to a holy book.

It was his dream to embody the ideal the Codex had laid out: That of the magical super being. He had practiced his craft until he had honed it to a fine point, if not a particularly sharp one, but he was running out of time. Already, he could feel the hounding advance of time catching up to him. His eyesight was starting to fail. His bones felt weaker. The boundless energy of his youth was slowly starting to fade. He had perhaps twenty, maybe thirty years left in him. Not enough. Some might have just thrown their hands up and given up, or faced death with dignity. Not Ignotus.

Mankind could warp their bodies into forms that didn't even exist on earth, harness the power of the very essence of the world, and bend the fabric of reality. What was stopping them from cheating death? Nothing was what. So he had his stack of books, from a biography of Areesa Tallshade to accounts of encounters with Uldr, and by the Gods, he would read through every one of them until he found what he was looking for. But right now, a little treat for himself. Just to celebrate forty years of excellence.

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Evalin on August 23rd, 2012, 9:56 pm

"Fall from us oh shades of darkness, fall from us to reveal the light. Grant us peace from the endless darkness, save us from its terrible might."

Evalin stared at the page before her, a finger dancing idly over the page as she read a few lines farther down, "Life is like a gift, both fleeting and fragile. Life is a dish both sour and sweet. Life is a river both fluid and flowing. Life is a journey both hard and fulfilling." A smile touched the woman's lips as she read those lines, "What ridicules words these are, of no use at all really."

The cover of the tome was closed, and the look itself lifted so that its title could be read, "A Thousand Poems of Life and Living. What a silly thing to write." Standing from where she sat, Evalin moved to return the book to its shelf. Idly she noticed a man sitting not too far off, surrounded with books and reading with such vigor it would make any librarian proud. She watched him for a moment more, eyes of crimson washing over his lanky figure and aging form. Tapping the spine of the book she just replaced the woman turned to retreat in the opposite direction, yet something stilled her movements. Glancing back over her shoulder, Evalin felt a tug at the fabric of her being, an annoying itch that threatened to arise if she did not venture closer to the man. Curiosity welling, her hand took up the staff which leaned against the shelf, keeping it from the floor so as not to disturb those who sought the quiet solitude of the library.

Not often is it that I am brought to explore some unknown creature. Perhaps it be a whim brought on by the steady and constant bustle in this place, but now I seek to satisfy a curiosity I have little explanation for. Her eyes fell over the book that lay open on his lap, and Evalin felt her curiosity stir once more. As she looked Evalin saw more and more curious tomes on strange subjects that did not seem to coincide. Was it that which drew her now to stand before him? To suddenly sit on the far side of the bench and lean her staff against her shoulder. Perhaps it was, and these strange things might also have called her voice to be spoken softly from cold lips, "A good evening to you. I see your enjoying your time in the library as well as myself, and with books of the most curious nature." Her hood was pulled enough to hide her features, though a few strands of blond hair fell free, and from the darkness could just be made out the 2 shining points that looked with interest at the man upon the bench.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 5:00 am

She had caught Ignotus in the middle of a diagram outlining Projection. The book slammed shut with a small cough of dust, and the man smiled up amicably at her. Behind the facade, cogs turned and motives were speculated. Judging by the staff and robes, another wizard. Why was she talking to him? Trying to find the same thing he was? Possibly. An agent of Dira sent to watch him? Improbable, but not out of the question. Or just a curious, if odd looking woman with an affection for books. He had to stop himself from snorting.

"Curious, perhaps, but valuable." Until he had scoped her out more, Ignotus decided to stick with the more general work he did for first impressions. A simple sense of familiarity would do. Like seeing an old friend you'd almost forgotten about. He didn't need to instill calm. It would come of its own accord. Hopefully she wasn't like he was; if the woman was, she'd likely start getting suspicious. Otherwise, it would be much easier to probe her. "And what might you read, my dear?"

One could tell a lot about someone by what kind of books they read. One could also tell a good bit about someone if they lied about it. Sadly, he had no way (as far as he was aware) of telling what books she did read, so he'd have to go by faith.

"Yup, I'm petched."

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on October 2nd, 2012, 6:35 am

Evalin paused as she felt something within her stir at the voice of the man. She felt as if... she had met him somewhere, or perhaps knew of someone like him? It was a curious feeling, one that was quite unexpected and... Evalin's small smile faded ever so slightly, but if she felt any suspicion it did not show.

To his question no replay sprang readily to her lips, so instead she picked up a book from the pile closest to her, opening it and flipping a few pages while not reading anything, "What books interest me... What an odd question to ask of someone you have only just met. Do the youth of this time know no manners?" Evalin's use of the word "youth" was intentional, and indeed she wondered if this stranger would pick up on it. If not well... Perhaps he was not worth her curiosity after all.

The book in her hand fell open to a particular page denoting a strange series of circles. A caption in the ancient tongue was written beneath it, describing its use in basic summoning techniques, and beneath this there was sited a name that made the woman's lips part in a soft smile once more. Resting the book upon the bench open to that page those cold red eyes turned fully on the man, "If you be a man of decent standing you would be best to ask a woman her name before inquiring of her interests."

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ignotus Everto on October 2nd, 2012, 10:15 pm

"What books interest me... What an odd question to ask of someone you have only just met. Do the youth of this time know no manners?" Ignotus chuckled and raised an eyebrow. "Youth? I'd not think my greying pate would be a sign of youthful vigor, but to each his own."
"If you be a man of decent standing you would be best to ask a woman her name before inquiring of her interests."

The wizard shrugged, smiling softly, "And the same does not apply for men? This must be an interesting time you hail from... And what fascinating eyes!" he exclaimed cheerfully, staring back into the scarlet orbs. Djed pulsed down the nerves, into the eye proper, and shot out into Evalin's. Chipping at tension, loosening inhibition. Everything was going fine. Why shouldn't she relax? "You simply must tell me more! After we've gotten to know each other a little..." he added with a slight nod of his head, "As is your wont, what shall I call you, my lady?"

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on October 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm

A strange sense of relaxation and calm filled her mind as Evalin looked into the man's eyes. Chuckling Evalin shrugged and turned her eyes to look at the shelves before them, "Why you ask? Because it is for the men to care and mind the whims of women, not the reverse. This is how it was and how it always shall be, I think." A hand brushed back a stray blonde hair back under her hood as she continued speaking, "Though because you ask so politely I shall answer your question." She looked back at Ignotus, "I am known as Evalin while within these walls, though other names might follow me elsewhere."

The man's remark on her eyes seemed to have gone ignored, or perhaps it was intentional? In any case the woman would glance down at the open book between them, smiling once more at then name marked there in: Evalin

Raising her eyes to meet the mans once more she would ask, "And what might I call this man who reads such books these?"

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ignotus Everto on October 3rd, 2012, 2:47 am

The woman laughed, and Ignotus smiled amicably at her, but for less than pleasant reasons. "Why you ask?" Evalin said, "Because it is for the men to care and mind the whims of women, not the reverse. This is how it was and how it always shall be, I think." A hand brushed back a stray blonde hair back under her hood as she continued speaking, "Though because you ask so politely I shall answer your question." She looked back at Ignotus, "I am known as Evalin while within these walls, though other names might follow me elsewhere."

The Hypnotist's gaze drifted down to the book in her hand for a moment, and his eyes widened momentarily on seeing the familiar name. He suppressed a smirk soon afterwards. "Subtlety isn't her strongest suit, is it?" Ignotus thought to himself as he beamed at her. "Ah, the esteemed Evalin! It truly is an honor."

"And what might I call this man who reads such books these?"
The man's grin grew slightly more reserved, "You would call him Ignotus, my dear. It's funny, I happen to be a bit of a scholar in the arcane as well, though unfortunately," Djed pulsed to the tips of his middle finger and thumb in time with his heartbeat, a soft green glow visible for the briefest of moments under his skin before Res wormed its way past his skin, between the two digits. Ignotus snapped his fingers, and a flash of orange akin to a thimble-sized firecracker going off accompanied the sound, vanishing in a plume of writhing black smoke a moment later, "I'm no genius."

Setting the Codex down on the bench, Ignotus said thoughtfully, "If I may ask... You speak of 'times' and seem to consider a man in his forties young. It made me curious... How old are you?" he shrugged, "You need not indulge me. It simply piqued my interest."

Ignotus glanced down at the floor, while a miniscule packet of Djed was carried towards Evalin by his voice, destined to nestle itself somewhere in the inner chambers of her mind. Why shouldn't she tell him? It was a simplistic suggestion, but hopefully an effective one.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on October 4th, 2012, 11:58 pm

"Ignotus... not an unpleasant name I shall grant you that."

Evalin watched as the res was gathered and lit upon the man's fingers, and she offered a raised finger and a half hidden smile in return, "Though to use such arts within the open air of the library might be considered foolish. Still though it does mine heart good to see that the talents of this era are not lacking." She chuckled inwardly at the irony of her words, yet she did not let her amusement show as she began to answer Ignotus' next question. Though she did hesitate, a fluttering in the back of her mind lighting her awareness to an oddity in her usual patterns of contemplations. Scarlet eyes graced over the man once more, but she allowed suspicions to die down for now.

"I do wonder that question myself at times. The flow of eternity appears different for one who stands upon its shore and for those who are swept away by it." Her mind considered for the briefest moment if she should add to this... this complacent feeling was one that was almost alien to the being as she was now, and so with a firm halting of her mind she forced the continued answer to the shadows for now, To free be my words tonight... How strange.

Pushing back her hood for the first time Evalin let her features be fully exposed for the man to see. Wavy locks of blond hair fell in waves upon thin shoulders and pale skin. Her body was rather fresh, having been acquired only a week before. No obvious signs of decay could be seen upon her face or neck, though the dark circles beneath her eyes and the blackened tongue when she spoke might have been a giveaway. It was not often that the witch allowed mortals to view her features. This man seemed something special though. Looking him full in the eyes Evalin whispered in a soft voice so that he would need to lean in to hear clearly, "You seem to be searching for something my dear mortal... What is it that you seek?" The red of her eyes flickered in the light of burning candle flames. The eyes of a predator who had found her prey, or perhaps another creature worthy of her attention.

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ignotus Everto on October 8th, 2012, 3:48 am

"Ignotus... not an unpleasant name I shall grant you that."
The man bowed his head in a gesture of modesty, flushing at the compliment. It was nice to be acknowledged. She was going on about eras and youth again. It would be too much to think that she was as ancient as she was hinting at being. That would have just been too easy. It still didn't hurt to ask, of course.

"I think it's safe to do so in the middle of a university." Ignotus replied dryly.
It was around that time that Evalin answered his question.
"I do wonder that question myself at times. The flow of eternity appears different for one who stands upon its shore and for those who are swept away by it." Ignotus' eyebrow twitched when Evalin let her hood down. The black tongue was certainly different.

Her stare was starting to make Ignotus uncomfortable. Red eyes were never a good sign, and her gaze was... Well, malicious wasn't the right word. Was she also a Hypnotist? He didn't feel any different... Did he? Any worries he had were swept away by the words Evalin chose to speak next. "You seem to be searching for something my dear mortal... What is it that you seek?"

It was impossible, unthinkable, and yet... It was right in front of his face. Ignotus couldn't stop himself from grinning. Rising up and gliding his hand over Evalin's shoulder, he whispered back, "Something that I've just found. Tell me, my dear Evalin... How did you defeat death?"

He pumped a sort of vague contentment through his fingers, letting it seep into the Nuit in front of him through the contact. It wasn't anything big. Just a little something to keep her comfortable (and talking). He wouldn't want to have to damage the immortal in front of him, after all, assuming he was even up to the task.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on October 8th, 2012, 9:54 pm

That feeling that seemed so much apart of her, and yet felt completely alien arose once more as Ignotus touched her upon the shoulder. Content... When was it that she ever felt such? Certainly not when speaking with such a man, a mere child in her eyes. No... This was a feeling reserved for those moments of quiet contemplation over past actions and deeds. Never had it been acknowledged when dealing with insects and ignorant men.

The woman's mind fell backwards in time, calling upon remembrances of days long since past. There stood a man cloaked in darkness who spoke words of subtle poison that wormed their hooks into the unsuspecting minds of the innocent. That man... Oh hated fiend who stood apart from time, who took from her that which could never be returned... Raging fires of hatred billowed forth from beneath years of tempered passions, causing the cold steel of her mind to grow white hot once more, yet what swelled within did not venture further to be seen by those watching. Faintly this Ignotus reminded her of this ageless figure in eternity, and the mortals hand upon her shoulder was nothing short of detestable.

Evalin allowed her small smile to return to her lips as she lifted to move her staff to lean upon the bench itself. One hand as cold as a tombs stale air arose to rest upon Ignotus', and she whispered soft words that could only just be heard, "So bold of you to lay hands upon a woman whom you have only just met, yet... I cannot say I do not find it charming in a way."

Thin fingers gently caressed the aged hand of Ignotus, those cold eyes never leaving the mans for an instant. Then it was that, suddenly, those fingers grasped tightly about the man's wrists with a grip like iron far stronger than her fragile appearance should allow. In an instant, far faster than most mortals could move, Evalin slid close to Ignotus so that she was pressed against his side, looking up into his eyes. For the briefest of moments the fires of her hatred, kindled and nurtured over nearly 200 years, danced within the crimson points, but then it was gone just as fast. Her free hand moved to gently caress an exposed vein upon his neck, her lips mere centimeters from his ear as she whispered, "However... I care not to be toyed with. Speak you your mind without your subtle manipulations, and what you seek may come to be within your grasp." Releasing the man's wrist Evalin remained pressed against him, her hand pressing upon his chest as she looked up and smiled suggestively, "Yes... Well within your grasp indeed..."
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next