Build Your Own Baby(Tock)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Ignotus Everto on August 19th, 2012, 4:52 am

Image36th of Summer, 512AV

Today was a good day. The sun was shining, the sky was clear save for a couple fluffy white cumulus clouds, the gulls were squawking happily in the bay, and Ignotus was strolling down a rather familiar road. Today, he was going to finish the golem he had started with Tock. He had been in a good mood all night, and it had persisted all the way through the morning, to now. A few chimes after leaving the University, he was in front of a very familiar wall again. The corner of his mouth twitched a little as he remembered the desecration of his shoes. "Well, she's made up for her idiocy while drunk with a most useful magic."

He raised his hand languidly and knocked twice on Tock's door.

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on August 19th, 2012, 5:24 am

Tock had spent the morning in her backyard, making preparations for Animating Nai'shee's boat. Thus, she wasn't inside when Iggy arrived, but rather she was around the back, putting the finishing touches on the Animation circle that surrounded the large pond she'd dug in the yard. His knocking was thus unheard, forcing him to knock again.

There would still be no answer. He'd have to knock yet again.

By the third knock, Naily, the little Animated hammer on wheels, was drawn to the sound. He rolled around, peering up at the man with his little glass eyes. Then, he quickly hurried to the back yard, getting Tock's attention by squeaking his wheels at her. "Not now, baby," she told him, making some last minute adjustments to tying down the tent over the backyard. The hammer rolled back towards the front, then back to Tock, finally snagging her pant leg with his claw, tugging on it to get her attention, just like a puppy trying to tell Mommy that someone was there.

"Oy, what IS it, baby?" she asked him. He leaned back, peering up at her, then rolled towards the front. She followed, spotting Iggy, and said, "Ahh, oy, wotcher, mate?"

She opened the door and led him inside, Naily following and rolling around the room energetically. Tock led Iggy to the Animation circles, cutting past any pleasantries and getting right down to business.

"Awright, circles," she said, pointing to them. Her circles were quite large, since a couple of her Automatons had been rather big. They dominated most of the room, with all of her furniture huddled into one corner. "Dun need ta make 'em no special way, aye? 'Ey's... whatchacaller, 'symbolic,' aye? Contains the Djed. Ya know what 'Djed' is?" she asked, looking him over. As far as she knew, he had NO experience with magic. She waved the question off, "Dun matter. I's teach ya. 'Portant thing fer ta start, is circles. Some folks what draws 'em on paper, if'n yer makin' sommat small, aye? Sometimes ya can make like a," she held her hands out wide, "big iron ring o' sommat. Me? I jus' gots chalk, so far. VERY 'portant," she stuck a finger in his face, staring him down, "fer ta make sure the circles is precise, an' unbroken..."

She knelt next to the circles, waving him to join her, and took out some chalk. "I measured 'ese out REAL good when I did 'em," she gestured around the circles, which were perfectly symmetrical. "If'n ya does 'em lopsided, like a whatchacall... oval, o' sommat, ya git sloppy Djed flow, an' 'at makes 'er 'arder, aye? So, real precise. An' NO breaks in the circle!"

She pointed him to a faded spot from where Naily had rolled across the chalk line, smudging it a bit. "See 'at? Naily, stop!" she called out. The hammer froze in place, incapable of moving again until she released him. "Djed'll bleed outta 'ere, an' ye'll 'as a right fine mess, ya will..." She filled in the gap, checking the entire circle for solidity. Then she moved on to Glyphs.

"Ain't much time 'is mornin'," she explained, "So's as we's gonna set everythin' up, an' finish 'er tonight when I git done class an' some other stuff. Takes a couple 'ours ta does the Glyphs right. Now, ya ain't needs Glyphs," she raised a finger to accentuate this point, "but 'ey 'elps a lot. All ya NEEDS, is circles, linked," she gestured to the line connecting the two circles, "an' yer baby in one circle, an' yous, o' whatever yous taking memories from inna other... ya follow, mate?" She waited to see if he was absorbing all of this, before she's show him the layout for the Glyphs.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on August 23rd, 2012, 3:38 am

ImageIgnotus scowled as he waited, looking down dispassionately at the little automaton. "Get Tock." he said coldly before watching it roll off to (in his mind) do as it was told. The Hypnotist slapped a smile across his face as he saw Tock approaching, waving to her. "Waiting for you! I see Naily went and got you like I asked, the sweetheart."

He followed her without a word, raising an eyebrow at the circles on the ground before Tock started her explanation. When she asked him if she knew what Djed was, he smiled impishly and held two fingers up, keeping them pressed together. His eyes closed momentarily, and he slowly parted them, a gossamer string of Res forming at the web of flesh connecting the two digits before drifting upward between them and forming into a ball the size of a pea. When it reached his fingernails, the ball flashed in a puff of yellow fire, quickly petering out into a plume of undulating smoke. "Yes, I think I know a little bit about Djed..."

Ignotus had brought his own pen and notepad this time, and he quickly wrote down everything she said. Finally, he nodded."Right, so perfect circle, completely solid, linking two. I know a little about glyphs, but I've only used them to aid Reimancy. When do we start?"

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on August 23rd, 2012, 4:06 am

OOCLucky Naily can't talk to tell his Mommy that Iggy as a meanie-head side!

Tock watched the minor demonstration of magic, giving a small nod. "Good," she said, "I ain't knew jack squat 'bout it 'fore my first lesson on 'is stuff," she gestured to the circles. In her opinion, Animation was one of the more complex, difficult to understand forms of magic. She expected it to be a challenging lesson. Especially since she'd never trained anyone before. Hopefully the method Archimaneus had used to train her would work just as well.

"I shows ya the basic setup," she said, breaking a piece of chalk in half and handing one piece to him. "Ya can see where 'ey go," she pointed to the faded chalk marks of the old Glyphs she'd used on her last Animation. For whatever reason, they broke down over time, almost as if the magic were eating the chalk. "Already all measured out. Balance is 'portant. Keeps the Djed flowin' nice an' smooth. If'n she ain't balanced, ya git all goin' all over the place, what likes a wagon wit' a bum wheel, aye? So balance 'elps."

She led him through the steps of where she placed her Glyphs, working together to get them set up faster. She explained what each one did, and why she placed them in the particular spots she chose. Each circle received three barrier Glyphs, laid out in an equilateral triangle. This, she explained, was to help contain the Djed inside the circles and keep it from bleeding off and being wasted. Two guiding Glyphs were placed along the connecting line. These showed the Djed where to go, accelerating its flow from the Source to the Destination. And two balancing Glyphs were placed, one in the center of each circle. These helped to make sure the Source and the Destination maintained a careful balance with each other, making the Djed want to flow from one into another. Making it as natural of a flow as water spreading across the ground when spilled, moving naturally from where there was a high concentration to where it was low. Thus the spiritual energy would be naturally drawn from the high concentration of Iggy's body, into the empty and waiting Automaton.

When the Glyphs were in place, she gestured Iggy to place the Automaton in the Destination circle. "Now," she said, "very, very 'portant. Once 'e's in 'ere, ya CAN'T take 'im out 'til ya close the programmin'. Otherwise 'e breaks. What like bakin' a cake o' sommat... take it outta the 'eat early, she don't rise, an' even if'n ya stick 'er back in, s'too late, aye? Course, if'n ya wakes 'im up first, yer fine, an' ya can put 'im back in fer more programmin' later. Like, fer ta test stuff, an' continue after. But ONLY if ya does the awakenin', aye?"

She then sat next to the circles, adjacent to the connecting line. She pulled out a knife and pointed for Iggy to sit in the Source circle. "Drop o' blood starts 'er," she explained. "Need some o' mine an' some o' yers. 'Ow we's gonna does it, is I's gonna start 'er flowin', 'en ya can see the flow, aye? 'En once she's movin', yer gonna take over. Kinda like if'n I 'eld the reins on a 'orse ta git 'im runnin', but once I let go, yer the one ridin' 'im, aye? Awright, so lesgo..." She pricked her hand, and set a drop of blood into the chalk that connected the circles, then waited for Iggy to do the same.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on August 29th, 2012, 4:18 am

ImageAs with the building, Ignotus preferred slow precision to sloppy haste. For every three glyphs Tock drew, Iggy only drew one, but the errors were minimal. Finally, something familiar. Quite a few of the glyphs, save for the Focus, were relatively new to Ignotus, and he smiled at the new knowledge. Once that was done, he started scribbling again as Tock began to lecture,

"Now, very, very 'portant. Once 'e's in 'ere, ya CAN'T take 'im out 'til ya close the programmin'. Otherwise 'e breaks. What like bakin' a cake o' sommat... take it outta the 'eat early, she don't rise, an' even if'n ya stick 'er back in, s'too late, aye? Course, if'n ya wakes 'im up first, yer fine, an' ya can put 'im back in fer more programmin' later. Like, fer ta test stuff, an' continue after. But ONLY if ya does the awakenin', aye?"

He sat in the Source circle, careful not to smudge the chalk, and bit his lip when she asked him to spill a drop of blood. It would have been easy, if it weren't for one small problem. He didn't have any blood. Ichor would probably still allow him the same control, but that was a tell-tale sign that he was undead. Which meant it was time to do a bit of confessing.

His attentions went to suppressing disgust and mistrust with a blanket of apathy, and he began speaking in a slow, deliberate tone, "Right... Now would probably be a good time to tell you I'm a Nuit. You've heard of them, right? We've got a fortune teller who's one. Very nice man..." a slight nudge in the desired direction, strands of thought severed and grafted back in a different way. Nothing was wrong with being a Nuit. It just wasn't a big deal. He smiled in what he hoped was an endearing way, and lifted the magic. "Anyways, let's get started, shall we?"

Shift her attention back to Animation. That would help. If she showed no signs of disgust, Ignotus would take the knife as she instructed and prick his finger with a grimace. That was a wound that wouldn't heal until his body. He squeezed his finger like a tube of gel, and a thick drop of milky ichor fell onto the circle, and the appearance of his surroundings shifted to something different. Something familiar. He could have sworn he had seen things like he was now whenever he switched bodies.

The Nuit nodded, his smile widening. "Yes... I could get used to this. Let's begin."

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on August 29th, 2012, 4:58 am

This time, the hypnotic suggestion was completely unneeded. When Iggy mentioned he was a Nuit, Tock looked him over, sucking on her teeth, her expression curious. But it was just a professional curiosity, inspecting the quality of his body and curious how long it took for him to decay. After a moment, she shrugged and said, "Aye, I knows Fortune Teller Man. S'a friend o' mine..." She couldn't care less if he was a Nuit, a Kelvic, an Ethaefal, or anything else. As far as she was concerned, all people were equal.

She closed her eyes and raised her hands, one palm facing Iggy, one facing the Automaton. She took a breath, searching inside, using the long practiced mental disciplines that brought her mind into the edges of the Astral realm. It didn't take her much time at all, and when she opened her eyes, they were glowing blue with Djed.

"Might feel a 'lil funny," she said, looking to Iggy. With her mind connected to the Astral, she was able to see beyond his physical form, looking into his soul. It was immediately clear to her that he was only loosely tied to that body. There were subtle differences, minor flaws around the edges, like when someone was wearing clothes tailored for someone else. His soul was designed to fit another form, another Astral Body.

She reached out, drawing his soul forth, and his body began to glow as the energy erupted from him. Djed bounced off the invisible walls formed by the circles, guided back inwards by the barrier Glyphs they'd drawn. It was immediately channeled down the connection to the Destination, flowing like water guided between river banks, before it splashed into the small construct waiting on the other side.

Now came the hard part... In order to teach Iggy this, she had to avoid letting the Soulcore form, until he had control of the flow himself. It was hard to do... somewhat like taking a mouthful of water and resisting the urge to swallow. She had to relax herself and resist the reflexes, letting the energy flow without giving it defined shape just yet.

"Can ya see it?" she asked him. If all was going well, he should be able to see where the spiritual energy touched the Astral realm. "Jus' give it a wee push... an' ya oughta been able ta feel it slippin' in... Soon as ya do, try ta... compress it. Push it together. Like makin' a snowball..." If he understood, and did it successfully, a Soulcore would form. Though considering it was his first time, it would likely take awhile. Likely a good hour of pushing and prodding the Djed until it coalesced in the proper way.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on September 1st, 2012, 11:58 pm

ImageIgnotus gave a little start, and he clenched his hands uncomfortably as the stream of blue erupted from his chest. This was far too similar to switching bodies. It wouldn't have been that bad, if he hadn't been afraid he'd somehow get stuck in the golem in front of him. He swallowed and closed his eyes for a moment. "Focus."

"Might feel a 'lil funny," Tock said.

A nervous chuckle. "No kidding!" Slowly he got the better of his nerves, and his lids lifted to reveal two glowing blue orbs. He could definitely get used to this. He made the flow curve left, then right, even trying to make a loop-the-loop that wound up looking more like a ball deflating. A smile came back to his face, around the same time as Tock gave her next round of instructions, "Jus' give it a wee push... an' ya oughta been able ta feel it slippin' in... Soon as ya do, try ta... compress it. Push it together. Like makin' a snowball..."

Having regularly transferred his own soul, and manipulated Djed before using Reimancy, forming a Soulcore came easily to Ignotus. That wasn't to say he got it immediately, though. Djed would leak out an opening like a hole in a water skin, or simply bulge to one side instead of compressing. Occasionally only some of the would-be-Soulcore would come together, giving it an almost sea urchin like appearance. Finally, after forty five chimes of ceaseless effort, a smooth ball of blue Djed nestled itself inside the golem and faded. Ignotus nodded slightly to himself, his eyes still locked on the automaton. "And now?"

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on September 2nd, 2012, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on September 2nd, 2012, 12:43 am

OOCLove the new frame!

I also like the descriptions you're using of how to control the Djed. It's so rare to see another Animator working their magic, and I like the style you're using here.

I'm putting in a time skip here as we discussed earlier. Mornings before work/class are going to be the best times for each stage of the Animation for me, in order to avoid continuity conflicts with older threads I had in this time period. Let me know if the dates work and I can edit if needed.

As Iggy worked to flex his control, Tock eased up on hers, merely holding her hands up with slack like she was letting a rope slip between her fingers. If anything went wrong, she could clamp down her grip and seize control, but at this stage there mostly wasn't anything that could really he screwed up. At this point, she was just a guide. Iggy was the Animator.

When the Soulcore formed, and Iggy asked what was next, she said, "Now I gots a class ta git ta, an' sommat else fer a friend o' mine later today. Come back tomorrow, sunrise. We can work on it more 'fore I 'as ta go ta work..."

The next day, Tock was up before sunrise on the 37th. Now that she knew her student was a Nuit, she realized he didn't sleep, and therefore should have no issue with the early hour of the day. As soon as he arrived, she got them both straight back to work without so much as a good morning. Social pleasantries were a pointless extravagance when there was magic to be done.

With blood and ichor added to charge the circles again, she settled in for a few more hours of work. With the aid of the Glyphs to accelerate the Djed flow, they should be able to get some decent progress made this morning. "Okay, next thing's Directives," she explained. "They get imprinted right inta the core, 'fore everythin' else. 'At way, 'ey's in deep, aye? Deep, absolute laws. Usually ain't take long. After those, start puttin' in memories of everythin' ya want fer 'im ta recognize. 'Elps fer ta talk ta 'im, aye? Talkin' brings the memories right up 'ere," she tapped the side of her head, "an' gits the words flowin' too. Ya done gots ta teach 'im every word ya want 'im ta know, an' everythin' ya want 'im ta recognize. But 'member, at 'is level, 'e ain't really gonna understand stuff. So focus on simple stuff. Light versus dark. Movement versus still. Simple stuff 'e can react ta on instinct, aye? Aye."
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on September 8th, 2012, 7:28 pm

OOCThank you! Jules really outdid herself, didn't she? I'm glad you like my approach to Animation as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to write magic in an appealing way, and it's good to know I'm on the right track. Who knows, maybe one day I'll almost be as good as you? ;)

Ignotus nodded in return and stepped out of the circle, smiling broadly. "Sunrise? So you're as industrious as you're clever? Is there anything you're not?"
Finishing the first step of his own little automaton had left him in high spirits, and really, why wouldn't he want to continue his work? Really, it was just good sense to keep stroking her ego. It was even better sense to let her get to class. So he left with a lazy wave, taking his notes out to study as he headed back to his dorm.

The wizard offered Tock little more than a nod before taking his place in the circle. He knew his teacher disliked small talk, and happily for both of them, so did he. Okay, next thing's Directives," she explained. "They get imprinted right inta the core, 'fore everythin' else. 'At way, 'ey's in deep, aye? Deep, absolute laws. Usually ain't take long. After those, start puttin' in memories of everythin' ya want fer 'im ta recognize. 'Elps fer ta talk ta 'im, aye? Talkin' brings the memories right up 'ere," she tapped the side of her head, "an' gits the words flowin' too. Ya done gots ta teach 'im every word ya want 'im ta know, an' everythin' ya want 'im ta recognize. But 'member, at 'is level, 'e ain't really gonna understand stuff. So focus on simple stuff. Light versus dark. Movement versus still. Simple stuff 'e can react ta on instinct, aye? Aye."
"Aye."

Ignotus closed his eyes, recalling the table of Directives that Tock had made. Following the table, the first Directive was simple enough, "Obey me."

Following the order, a faint pulse rippled from his heart, down the river of Djed, and into the golem. The Nuit frowned when it came time for the next Directive, "How do I program a code word? Do I just tell him 'do this, until I say this?' Or is there a specific method or phrase?"

Once that was sorted out, and the second pulse had entered the golem, he moved on to self preservation. A final ripple, and all three Directives were etched into the automaton. He shifted to teaching it memories, as Tock had told him to, and small, cobalt blue slivers akin to scraps of loose cloth would creep out of his heart, snake around the rope of Djed connecting the wizard to the scout, and slither down into the construct. Bumpy ground vs. smooth ground. Light vs. Dark. What movement was, and what stillness was. What solid objects were, what liquids were, what "exploration" meant, what "self preservation" meant, and a dozen other things. Assuming time didn't demand he leave earlier, he'd finally be finished imparting the basic concepts and memories the scout would need four bells later.

"What's next?"

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on September 8th, 2012, 9:09 pm

"A code word's like... an association," she explained. "Like 'ow when ya says ta a dog fer ta 'sit,' 'e knows 'is butt better 'it the ground. So ya need ta associate the word wit' somethin'. Now fer yous..." she considered it for a moment, thinking back to what he wanted the codeword for. It had to switch the Automaton between one behavioral set and another. In this case, to switch it between the instincts of fight or flight. "Since 'is default should be to flee, what fer safety, 'en the codeword what oughta been associated wit' goin' forward. So as 'at'll bring up the instincts ya imprint ta explore. 'En the counter-codeword should been associated what wit' the instincts ta flee."

She monitored the Djed flow as it passed before her, feeling a bit awkward about doing so. Her student was engaging in an act of procreation, and that should have been something private. She wouldn't have been uncomfortable sitting here and watching from a distance, but this was different. More personal. Her hands were in the Djed flow, guiding it and keeping it in place. It made her feel strange, and she understood much better now why Archimaneus had initially been hesitant to teach her.

After Iggy was done his next round of work, Tock had to leave to get to her day job. She invited him back the next day, and on the 38th of Summer, taught him about programming commands. "'Is is a 'ole lot like what I said yesterday wit' the codewords," she explained. "Except 'is ain't a Directive, so it won't be core, aye? Ya needs ta teach 'im a wee bit o' language. Already done gots a Directive ta 'obey,' but what 'at ain't does ya much good, if'n 'e ain't understands ya, aye? But since 'e ain't smart 'nough ta really grasp language, ya teaches 'im individual words, an' associate 'em wit' a command. Like 'ow I done showed ya wit' Naily, 'e knows forward o' back o' sommat, but 'at's all 'e knows."

With blood and ichor added once more to fuel the circles, she settled in to monitor the transfer again. "'E won't ever learn more words an' ya teach 'im today. Not at 'is level. An' even more advanced Golems what only learns as fast as a person most times. So could take years fer 'im ta learn anythin' ya ain't what teaches 'im now. So program every word 'e needs ta know. Speak it out loud... over and over ta imprint it. An' while yer doin' 'at, focus on what the word is associated with. 'At way, 'e 'ears the word an' what gits the feel o' it at once."

She thought about it for a moment, then added, "An' skip useless crud like 'the' or 'this', aye? 'E won't understand no real sentences anywho, so it's a waste o' time what ta been all grammarly. 'E won't understand 'Roll ten feet forward 'en turn 'round an' come back.' So just stick wit' 'Forward. Stop. Back.'"

She noticed Choppy and Naily obeying her unintended commands, moving forward, stopping, and then moving back against the wall again. She frowned, wishing she had realized that flaw when she made them. So to help her student avoid this mistake, she added, "Might'n 'elp fer ta use another language, o' made up words. So 'ey don't does 'at," she nodded to her babies. They were still trying to move backwards against the wall, even though there was no more room. She sighed and told them, "Stop." They froze in place, and she pondered whether there was still a way for her to fix that...
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)