The Runaway Bride? (Eris)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on May 11th, 2010, 1:25 am

Eris' question came as Kamrynn struggled clumsily to mount his horse. The Knight was ill at ease around horses, an unfortunate phobia for a knight, and the horse didn't seem particularly fond of knights. It whinnied nervously as the clamored onto its back and shook its head. "It's alright." Kamrynn reassured, half to himself and half to the horse.

Having situated himself and spurring his horse forward, he turned to address Eris' question as they journied down the road.

"Lord Valren did speak to me, at length, even. I'm sure you've heard that Lady Vanessa's fiancée was murdered." Kamrynn regretted not knowing the man's name. "Anyway, the men behind the murder, the Iron-Hand Gang, they've decided to go after poor Vanessa, too."

Kamrynn clenched his fist, and growled the rest of his words through clenched teeth. "What kind of evil has infected this world that would cause men to kill another man then go after his innocent fiancé? It's disgusting."

Composing himself, he continued. "This time they won't get away with it. The Iron Hand Gang has caused a lot of trouble in Syliras, but they're good at what they do. The Knights can never pin any of their crimes to them, so they walk away free. I don't know what Vanessa knows, but Steward Knight Gormar said we could put The Iron Hands away once and for all after I bring her back. I'm guessing they know that too, and I'm sure they've even sent some vile creature after her, to silt her throat before she can out them for their crimes."

Kamrynn's Vanthan eyes flashed fiery red for an instant, then he added. "But you can rest assured, I'll bring Vanessa back or die in the attempt, because I won't see her or any other innocent suffer by their hands."

As the two rode along Kamrynn offered a few questions to kill the time, ranging from her origin; "Where are you from, Eris? Skyinarta perhaps? Your red hair and green eyes scream Inarta." To things like, "Where did you learn to handle a dagger so well?"
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Eris on May 13th, 2010, 12:31 am

Eris pulled herself up onto Rhine’s back, situating herself comfortably in the saddle. She almost laughed out loud as the knight spoke of this "vile creature." She felt a tiny prick of guilt at deceiving him, but that quickly dissolved.

“My mother had mentioned once that there was some Inarta blood on my father’s side of the family, though I never had much luck with flying giant eagles,” Eris said with a dry laugh.

“When I was a little girl, I was apprenticed to a man who knew his way around a blade. He taught me,” she added with a simple shrug.

She felt the need to turn the conversation away from herself. Joel always said that the best way to lie is to keep silent. Of course, he was trying to sound as enigmatic as ever at the time, but there was some truth in what he said. If she kept on flitting around the truth, she may give something away. The last thing she needed was for the knight to figure out her real purpose for going after Vanessa.

“What of you?” she asked, “How exactly does one become a knight?”
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on May 13th, 2010, 2:29 am

“What of you?” she asked, “How exactly does one become a knight?”

"Well, there's a lot of training, really." Kamrynn said happily. "I spent my childhood as a page and a squire, you know, following in my father's footsteps and all that, a lot of Knight's children do. When you turn eighteen you go before the great Wind Oak, and he provides you a quest, a final challenge." The Knight clammed up suddenly, but reluctantly finished. "It's always different, and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

The two road in silence for a while, neither willing to disclose more about their history than necessary. Kamrynn broke the silence finally, talking about this and that, everything and nothing at the same time while the miles faded away.

The sun had sunk low, leaving only the faintest hint of purple haze peaking over the treetops. Exhausted and saddle sore, Kamrynn called a halt in a small clearing to pull out his map.

They had made better time than he thought. "We're only a few hours away, really." Kamrynn said cheerfully. "Let's stop here, we can leave first thing in the morning and be there in time to lunch with Lady Vanessa in the cottage!" Eris took note of him tucking the map into his armor.

The knight hopped off his mount, both man and beast were ecstatic to end the temporary partnership. Not much of an outdoors man, Kamrynn had little idea of what to do in order to set up camp. Indeed, he hadn't even thought to bring a tent.
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Eris on May 15th, 2010, 1:39 am

Eris slid out of the saddle, landing softly on the grass. What is wrong with me? Why is it that I always attract these cheerful, oblivious people? Eris almost groaned out loud as Kamrynn spoke of a friendly lunch with the murderous.

She looked disapprovingly at her empty saddle. She had left her bedroll and tent back at the inn. Stupid of me. Should’ve accounted for all possibilities. Joel would have… Eris shook her head, clearing it of unwanted memories…

“Tell me,” she started, cocking her head to one side, “You really don’t believe in Lady Vanessa’s involvement in her fiancée’s murder? You don’t think she ran because she might have something to hide?”

She needed to find out once and for all if this was indeed some sort of trap or simply the knight being gullible. Eris scanned the clearing, her eyes finally coming to rest on a tall, wide tree. She walked over to it, curling her legs beneath her as she sat down on the ground. At least it’s a Spring day…

“Looks we’ll just have to sleep here for the night. I’ll take first watch and wake you up when half the night is through,” Eris said matter-of-factly, settling herself with her back leaning against the tree.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on May 15th, 2010, 4:32 am

Eris' question hit Kamrynn like a boxer's right hook and sent his whole world reeling.

"What kind of question is that?" He responded automatically. "Of course not! What kind of woman would want her fiancé murdered!?" Eris didn't offer a reply, but looked at him with a combination of disbelief and disgust that Kamrynn couldn't understand, then she volunteered for first watch.

Kamrynn nodded, his mind was still racing with Eris' question while he pulled a bedroll down from his mount's bags and nestled himself near a tree, facing Eris. He closed his eyes tight, but his brain was working too fast for sleep to overtake him. Finally he opened his eyes, sat up, and turned to Eris.

"Of course I've heard the rumors, but they're just that. Rumors. I can't judge the girl by heresy until I've met her. I can't-" He stopped. "I don't want to believe that she would do such a thing. As far as I know, she's an innocent, terrified little girl that those men are after her because she knows something that we knights can use to put them down."

"But..." He thought aloud. "Why wouldn't she have come to us in the first place then? That would have been easier and safer than running off into the woods..."

There was a short silence, then it all came crashing into place, shattering Kamrynn's reality so badly it made his heart hurt. "By the gods..." He locked eyes with Eris, despair written plainly on his face. "She did it, didn't she? She had a hand in his murder, didn't she?"
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Eris on May 17th, 2010, 12:53 am

Eris watched the man struggle with himself with hidden amusement.

And finally, it dawns on him. Eris smirked slightly at the knight’s surprised outburst. Now, she was faced with the question of either confirming the man’s realization or pretending ignorance on the issue. It would have been so fun to feign ignorance on the issue, but despite the enjoyment she derived from it, Eris did not much like lying.

“Well, I wouldn’t know too much about it, you understand. But employing common sense and all… The man did cheat on her and right before their wedding too…” she trailed off suggestively, making her view on the subject quite clear.

“But you can’t tell me you never suspected anything of it? I would imagine that the Knights would send out their members fully informed.”

The last remark came out sounding more mocking than she’d intended and she quickly scrambled to cover it. “Unless, of course, the Knights did not know if the possibility of her involvement in the first place. Which is completely understandable.”

((Sorry for taking so long to post. Exams have been eating up huge chunks of my time. ))
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on May 17th, 2010, 2:45 am

Eris' words stung, but she graciously offered Kamrynn an excuse.

"Maybe." Kamrynn said slowly, thinking things over. It didn't seem likely, the knights were all as sharp as the blades they carried. Perhaps they didn't tell him because they assumed he already knew. Or more probable: they didn't have to tell him, so they didn't. The steward must have assumed that Kamrynn wouldn't want to know he was bringing a young woman (murderess or not) back for her execution at the hands of the Syliran knights.

That hurt the most. Was he some kind of joke? He was a knight like any of the others -he had taken the exact same vows to uphold the very same standards. A murderer was a murderer, no matter how innocent or pretty she may be, and he could handle the real world, as terrible as it was.

Unless... Unless the Steward didn't want Kamrynn to know. Kamrynn made a very convincing protector, he even swore on his life and honor to Lord Valren that he would die before Lady Vanessa came to any harm! And only after these pledges, given from the very bottom of Kamrynn's honest heart had the Lord offered up the location he believed his daughter to be hidden. It was possible, but beyond Kamrynn's comprehension or suspicions that the Steward would use Kamrynn's naivety and innocence as an unwilling weapon to trick the Steward into believing the knights were on his side.

The sun had disappeared completely now, and the world was bathed in the blackness after the sun fell but before the moon rose. Small creatures could be heard wandering the woods not far from their camp, curious of the forest's newcomers.

Kamrynn felt like crying, but he held back the tears and turned to Eris. Poor Eris! She must have thought him a monster. He was, after all, arresting a close friend of hers for the sake of an execution. Her face was calm, she seemed to be taking in all of this news with a strange stoicism, and for that, Kamrynn admired her.

She had to know the truth.

"No, I'm certain they know of her involvement. I fear I've been misinformed." He said softly, his heart had hit the floor. "I'm sorry Eris, you have my word that I had no idea I was sent for this purpose until this very moment, but I am sure that if Vanessa accompanies me back to Stormhold, her fate will be no different than if she were found by the Iron-Hands. It's little consolation, but at least her testimony will bring those criminals to justice as well."

((( No problem, take your time, and good luck! )))
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Eris on May 19th, 2010, 3:09 am

For a second, Eris was confused as to what her reaction should be. I knew all this already – does he expect me to be surprised? Except… Oh! It suddenly dawned on her that she was playing a part – the part of the concerned friend, to be exact. A friend would be upset that another friend was to be executed, right? Right.

Her brow creased and her eyes widened slightly. Act upset, but not too upset. There’s no way you can pull off a fit of hysteria right now. Eris followed the advice of her own conscience, opting for the quieter, more subtle kind of grief. She lowered her eyes and even managed to get her lower lip to quiver slightly.

It would be so much easier to simply let the knight take the murderous back with him… But then, she would have to return to the Iron-Hands empty-handed. Of course, it was all well and good that Kamrynn was ready to deliver Vanessa to her death, but she had to do it herself. She had been promised a very generous commission; not to mention, some information that was more valuable to her than all the mizas they could possibly offer.

“I-I understand. Vanessa needs to face the consequences of what she’s done,” Eris spoke slowly, trying to mimic the grief and uncertainty she had so often seen around her.

Seen, but never experienced… Funny, how one person can watch widows wail and children cry and husbands grieve, but never shed a tear herself… It’s been so long since she’d really cried – much easier to play a part.

((Thank you :)))
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on May 19th, 2010, 5:18 am

Kamrynn listened to Eris' reply, his heart aching for her. With her lip trembling, voice quavering, guard down and heart bared to him, (or so she lead him to believe) Kamrynn was made suddenly aware of how pretty she actually was. She was just a poor girl caught up in how terrible the world and its inhabitants actually were.

Not unlike him.

"Thank you. The order will treat her justly and fairly." That was all he could think of.

He started to his feet, wanting to go over and comfort her, hug her. Appologize... Anything.

But upon rising, and before he took his first step towards her he remembered her knife flashing out against the brigands earlier. He wasn't fearful, exactly, but she was strong, and he had no business doing such things.

Instead, he laid back down on his bedroll, looked up at the sky and waited for sleep to overtake him and morning to come.
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Postby Eris on May 20th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Eris felt herself tense as the man opposite her rose. Had he gotten wind of this little act of mine? Eris barely suppressed a little sigh of relief as he sat down. She was in no mood for confrontation and she had gotten to rather… “like” wasn’t the right word… tolerate the knight. She had just begun to tolerate the knight. It would be a shame to have to drive a dagger through his chest. But he didn’t seem to have any violent intentions. In fact, he seemed rather miserable and helpless. She was suddenly reminded of a wolf pup she had seen in the wilderness a few weeks ago. The wolf was nearly grown, and would have looked quite menacing if it wasn’t for a pair of large, round eyes that seemed to be lost.

Eris watched the man for a while as he lay, obviously trying to sleep. She leaned her head back against the tree trunk, keeping her eyes open against her heavy eyelids. She didn’t fall asleep during her watch, but she could feel her mind drifting. A few times during the first half of the night, she would sit bolt upright, sure that she had heard something in the woods. But then, it would only turn out to be a small woodland animal and Eris would settle back against the tree.

Half the night must half elapsed when she decided that it was time to wake up the knight. She didn’t know how much she could trust him to watch her back, but at the moment, she was too tired to care. She got up, stretching her numb legs. She crouched down by the sleeping man, briefly wondering how easy it would be to slit his throat right about now. With a small scowl, she shook the thought out of her head. She extended her hand, gently shaking his shoulder.

“Your turn,” she said quietly.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext