The Runaway Bride? (Eris)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 9th, 2010, 2:40 am

Eris was right. Right about everything.

Kamrynn's heart hit the floor. Her final biting words 'Would they really be that surprised at your failure?' Shattered his ego like glass and collapsed his spirits. She was right; they wouldn't be.

What could he do? He was duty bound to drag an innocent woman to certain death. A woman he had sworn to protect. But could he really betray the order like this and live with himself? Both options left him sick to his stomach. He had joined the knights to protect others, yet it seemed a specter of death followed him wherever he went; all he had ever managed to do was kill, kill kill.

His mother, Sianna. His best friend, Bii. He had failed to protect the two most important women in his life; and each time sworn to never falter in the defense of another, ever again. No matter the price.

He locked eyes with Eris, his heart steeled and his purpose deathly clear. "Do that, then. Please, take care of her, take her far from Syliras where she will be safe. I'll handle the knights... Thanks, Eris."

Kamrynn turned without waiting for a response. He needed to vomit. He needed to lay down. More than anything, he needed to quiet the conflicting voices in his head screaming to be heard over each other. "You've done the right thing." "You're making a terrible mistake."

He leaped onto his horse and spurred it forward without looking back. Vanessa would live. No matter the price.
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Eris on June 9th, 2010, 3:02 am

Eris was left with a bitter aftertaste in her mouth. Had she gone too far? The young man was too impressionable for this – you shouldn’t have done that. She shut off the accusing voice in her head and made her way back upstairs. Vanessa was ecstatic at the news, though she did seem a bit disappointed that the knight was still alive.

Together, they began the long trek to the area of the Bronze Wood where she had agreed to meet a member of the Iron Hands. Vanessa chatted on about this and that, at times going into the gruesome details of how she had murdered her fiancée.

He thanked you.

Eris felt agitated beyond reason. She kept glancing back over her shoulder, pulling at Rhine’s reigns every few minutes… The scar on her palm was bothering her more than ever…

You can kill, but you can’t tell a lie. Pathetic.

She would take Vanessa back to the bandits and everything would be alright, then. They’d tell her the information she had so longed to know. Everything would be alright.

He wasn’t even that incompetent. You didn’t just damage his ego… You know, you probably just ruined the man’s’ life.

Shut up!

Eris scowled, her eyes blazing with anger. Why did her pesky conscience have to show up in the most inappropriate times? With a sigh, she made a promise to herself – as if she didn’t have enough of those already – that she would tell the knight the truth some day. Some day, she would seek him out and tell him how things really went down.

By the time they had entered the agreed-upon meeting place, night had already fallen across the sky. Eris felt a chill run down her spine as she saw the hooded figure standing across from her. This was the man she was supposed to hand Vanessa over to. He gestured for her to bring the woman forward and as Eris made to nudge Vanessa to him, the woman twisted out of her grasp, brandishing that same cooking knife.

“What is wrong with you?” growled Eris, “Haven’t we been over this?”

“Well, I changed my mind. My money’s my own – I’m not giving it to that scum!” she shrieked, pointing at the hooded figure with the knife.

“Don’t be stupid,” Eris said, pulling out her own blade.

“Do relax, my dear,” came a silky voice from under the hood. “You’ve done your job well enough and here’s your reward.”

The man tossed a rolled up sheet of paper which Eris caught at the last second. “Now leave. I will take care of everything else,” the voice added.

Eris was about to protest, to say that her job wasn’t finished. But the feel of that coveted paper in her hand made her reconsider. She had delivered the woman. There was nothing left for her to do. She nodded to the man and spun around on her heel.

As she dove back between the trees, she heard another one of Vanessa’s mad shrieks. It was the scream of a greedy woman, plagued by desperation and insanity. Her keen ears picked up the sound of blade screeching against a sheath. Then, there was one more female scream. Then, blissful silence. Eris bit her lip, suddenly feeling utterly exhausted. It has all been for nothing – her elaborate ruse, the knight’s stupid sacrifice. But now, there was silence and that was something she could be thankful for.

FIN
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Dusk on June 22nd, 2010, 9:03 pm

XP Award!

Eris
XP Award: Daggers: 1 XP, Interrogation: 3 XP, Acting: 2 XP, Larceny: 1 XP, Negotiation: 1 XP
Lore Award: Lore of the Chivalry of Knights, Geography of Bronze Woods (basic), Lore of Regretting Your Decisions

Kamrynn
XP Award: Shield: 1 XP, Short Sword: 1 XP, Riding: 1 XP, Storytelling: 1 XP, Politics: 1 XP
Lore Award: Lore of Obvious Ambushes, Geography of Bronze Woods (basic), Lore of Making a Leap of Logic, Lore of Comforting a Crying Woman, Lore of Moral Dilemmas

Additional Note

This was an excellent story! I really loved the dynamic between the two, and it was great seeing how they were both affected by the moral dilemma of it all.

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Previous