[Character Sheets] The Character Corner

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Postby Siren on September 8th, 2012, 1:08 am

Tips, Tricks, and More!

Hey there!

The Character Sheet Liaisons are taking it to a whole new level! With you, the player, at the top of our priority list, we have been brainstorming new and interesting ways to get the information out to you all in an easy, helpful manner.

Enter The Character Corner, a thread dedicated to what your Liaisons think is important, handy, fun, cool, interesting, wicked, nifty or awesome and want to share it all with you!

Think of it kind of like those "Staff Pick" books you see in bookstores or libraries. Or, if you are unfamiliar with the previous metaphor, a weekly news letter! Ooooh, perhaps I should re-name this thread into the "Chocolate Box" cause you never know what you're going to get! This is the fortune cookies of threads!

Really, I could do this all day long if you let me.

So, without further ado...

Stuff!

Write on,
-Siren.
Siren
I'll sing you a sweet song...

Words: 69679
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2012, 3:14 am
Race: Staff account

Postby Siren on September 8th, 2012, 2:27 am

The Index

Aesthetics

Character Development Prompts

Featured Discussions

International Census

The Game
Siren

Postby Kraken on September 8th, 2012, 6:24 am

International Census: Fall 512

The International Census for Fall 512 is out!

1st Place: Human, Human (Mixed) (1278) 30%
2nd Place: Kelvic (688) 16%
3rd Place: Inarta (253) 6%
4th Place: Mixed Bloods (224) 5%
5th Place: Konti (204) 5%
6th Place: Drykas (190) 4%
7th Place: Vantha (166) 4%
8th Place: Ethaefal (112) 3%
9th Place: Symenestra (110) 3%
10th Place: Ghost (101) 2%
11th Place: Dhani (98) 2%
12th Place: Nuit (92) 2%
13th Place: Benshira (90) 2%
14th Place: Svefra (86) 2%
15th Place (Tie): Akalak (82) 2%
15th Place (Tie): Zith (82) 2%
16th Place: Isur (77) 2%
17th Place: Chaktawe (65) 2%
18th Place (Tie): Myrian (55) 1%
18th Place (Tie): Pycon (55) 1%
19th Place: Charoda (54) 1%
20th Place: Jamoura (52) 1%
21st Place: Eypharian (51) 1%
22nd Place: Akvatari (24) <1%

Total: 4289

Changes from Summer 512:
  • Ghost passed Akalak, Benshira, Svefra, Nuit, and Dhani.
  • Benshira passed Svefra.
  • Zith numbers increased to tie with Akalak.
  • Charoda passed Eypharian and Jamoura.
  • Jamoura passed Eypharian.
| Starting Guide | CS Checklist | FAQ | Character Corner | CS Forum |

Important Reminder!
Character Sheets do not require approval for you to begin playing! Once you've made your CS, you can go ahead and RP. "Verified" simply means that your CS has been looked at and there are no errors. Only if an intervention is placed on your CS must you stop RP to address the note.
Kraken
CS Liaison

Words: 162496
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Torchlight on September 10th, 2012, 7:45 am

Torchlight's CS Design for the Computer Illiterate

Today's episode:

Webfonts
and
Googlefonts
!

We all know Mizahar is the writer's RPG. Our site revolves around writing, creativity through wordplay and thought, story crafting, and collaboration. Sure, some of us are super nerds (like me), and some of this just do this as a fun hobby alongside real life (almost everyone except me). Not all of us have the time, or the desire, to write great stories AND be super code savvy.

Does that mean those of us without extensive computer know-how deserve to have CSes that aren't fancified and foofy like some other players do? I say NO WAY IN HAI! We ALL deserve to have killer CSes with stunning aesthetics and a certain appeal that expresses what our characters are all about.

So I'm here to give you some tips and tricks to help make your CSes look simply awesome.

Before I start, I'd like to begin by reminding everyone of the site's BBCode Guide, written by Gossamer (found under Features at the top of the page). Everything I know about BBCode, I learned from that guide. There's also the more complex [style] tag, which is explained by Tarot in that same guide. I want to take a moment to offer a HUGE thanks to both of them, both to Gossamer for showing us how to kick butt at BBCode, and to Tarot for giving Mizahar these unique options that no other roleplay site has. Our BBCode is one of many things that separates Mizahar from just about every other place on the internet.

Disclaimer: Any use of {fancy squiggly brackets} is a substitute for using [real brackets]. With many codes, using real brackets would mess up my post and probably break the site. If you use any of the coding in this article, remember to replace {} with []. Thank you!

To make a CS look creative and ritzy, it really doesn't take much doing! A quick way to make your CS look stunning is a simple, creative use of unique fonts. Is your PC an Eyktolian drifter? Use a desertlike font. Are you a Ravokian aristocrat? Use something proper and sophisticated. Is your PC a Kelvic with awful hand writing? Use a font that looks like a child's script!

As much as I love Arial, using the default font in Mizahar just doesn't always cut it. It's boring, it's perfectly readable, it's like using your mom's old Nokia cell phone she refuses to upgrade because it's "reliable". Who wants reliable when you can have something sleek looking with unnecessary features?

Mizahar DOES have some basic font code, like {font=Times New Roman}, but these are still basic default fonts that nobody really enjoys looking at.

Tarot has given Mizahar two types of font codes. These are [webfont] and [googlefont]. Webfonts are programmed directly into our website, and the list is available via this link:

I personally have this link in my bookmarks for quick reference. It's a little hard to track down otherwise.

Googlefonts are hosted off site, and are provided by Google.com. While Mizahar has several dozen webfonts, Google has several hundred and they are divided into different categories (Serif [fancified like Times New Roman], Sans-Serif [more casual like Arial], Handwriting, and Display [fancy fonts used for headers and titles]). While Google has a greater selection of fonts than Mizahar, Mizahar's fonts have been hand selected and are a little prettier on average.

To find the list of Google webfonts, you can do what I do and type "googlefonts" into a search engine, or you can use the link below if you're feeling less adventurous.

Using webfonts and googlefonts is easy, but messing up the coding is also easy! A VERY important note is that you have to copy the font's name EXACTLY as it appears on the list. Is the font named AngelicWar? Then use {webfont=AngelicWar}. If you type angelicwar, it WILL NOT WORK. Is the font called Apocalypse Now, with a space in the name? Then type {webfont=Apocalypse Now}. Is the font called English_? Then type {webfont=English_}

Remember, [webfont] ONLY works for Mizahar Webfonts, and [googlefont] ONLY works for Google fonts. {googlefont=Angelic War} will not work.

That leaves us one last issue! Here is a common problem. The limits of the [size] tag.

Torchlight

(that's max size!)

AngelicWar is one of the coolest fonts in Mizahar, but its maximum size, {size=200}, is still pretty petchin' small! Frustrating, right? There is a workaround! [Style] tag to the rescue! Quick thanks to Tabarnac for showing me this little trick.

Instead of using the [size] tag, use the following:

Code: Select all
[style=font-size:400%][webfont=AngelicWar]Torchlight[/webfont][/style]

Torchlight

The font-size variable has no upper limit. I filled in 400% because it seemed appropriate, but you can go to 300% if that's too big, or 500% or higher if you want it bigger. You can make fonts site-breakingly big. I mean, please DON'T, but at least you can make the font big enough to make a cool looking title.

To use googlefont and webfont, format it like this {webfont=Houndtim}Text goes here{/webfont}. Or, {googlefont=Della Respira}More text{/googlefont}.

Now that you are bestowed with holy knowledge, please remember that we need to be able to READ your writing to understand it. If you write all your posts or do your character sheet ENTIRELY in some bizarre font, you may get asked to change it if it's too difficult to read!

Also, try mixing up some colors with your fonts, play around with sizes, spacing, and all lower case. Use the {shadow2=white,0,0,3}{/shadow2} code to make it glow! Go nuts! Have fun!

Good luck!

P.S.: Here are some important notes about webfonts and googlefonts, courtesy of Tarot:

• Our webfonts, being TTF files, won't show in IE before version 9. IE9 is still very picky about them.
  • Webfonts are fonts we believe have been free to use for a long time now, so we think we aren't stepping on anyone's toes by using them. But should the owner ask us to remove their fonts from the site, we'll have to comply.
  • Googlefonts work on all browsers and, on average, display better at normal text sizes because of 'hinting' (features inside a font that tell the computer how to approximate a shape at small sizes).
  • Font appearance may vary across browsers and operating systems, depending on how they handle rendering. Windows is notorious for making all fonts look alike when small.
When it's pitch dark, remember that pitch is flammable.

Avatar image by Imaliea. Used with permission.
Torchlight
Let knowledge empower you.

Words: 52588
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Postby Kraken on September 23rd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Featured Discussion: Kelvics & Bondmates

Have you ever wondered about the relationship between Kelvics and their bondmates? What does it look like? How does the Kelvic react to such a relationship? What's the best strategy for finding a long-term PC bondmate?

Jynx began a very interesting conversation on the Kelvic discussion thread (located in the Racial Pride forum). He was curious about what constituted a "successful Kelvic," from both an IC and OOC point of view, and asked:

Jynx wrote:Does it mean that I and my mistress always appear together in threads? Can she go off and do her own thing? Can I?

These questions generated a wide array of responses from both Kelvic PCs and PCs who are bondmates to a Kelvic. People weighed in from all angles, and discussed Kelvics in relation to slavery (nope, Kelvics are not the equivalent of slaves), marriage (sometimes a bond is similar to marriage, sometimes it isn't), and Marcus Kelvic's original intent when creating this race.

If you have a Kelvic PC yourself and are wondering how to play him or her realistically, or if you are simply curious about the race, this is a fascinating discussion to check out and get involved in. We liaisons love when members ask questions and debate different aspects of the game in order to better understand it, so keep up the great conversations!

& if you happen to spot another interesting discussion happening somewhere on Mizahar (whether it's in a racial pride thread, city pride thread, scrapbook, or other area of the site), feel free to send it our way so we can throw it up here as a feature.

As always, happy writing!

Important Reminder!
Character Sheets do not require approval for you to begin playing! Once you've made your CS, you can go ahead and RP. "Verified" simply means that your CS has been looked at and there are no errors. Only if an intervention is placed on your CS must you stop RP to address the note.
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kraken on September 26th, 2012, 10:37 pm

How To Ask An ST For Moderation
Article credited to Caelum. Edits credited to Shepherd.

Situation I: You want a gnosis thread!

The Wrong Way
Hi! Jane needs a gnosis mark from Ivak. Will you mod the thread for me?"

The Right Way
Hi! Jane needs a gnosis mark from Ivak. Do you have time to mod the thread for me?

I am leaning toward making her a Zaital due to x, y and z reason, but I understand that is ultimately the mod’s call which Azenth family she fits best.

Below I have included links to applicable threads which demonstrate why Jane would attract Ivak’s attention. The summary is that Jane has done x, y and z.

Jane’s character goals are liberating the rats in Ravok and, of course, Ivak Himself.

(If applicable -) This will be Jane’s second gnosis mark from Ivak. Here is a link to her first Ivak gnosis thread as moderated by ST Awesome. It has been over a year since that thread was begun and you may peruse the attached links for the required ten in the interim proving she has been a faithful and active Azenth.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Jane’s Player.

In Conclusion

You need to take as much time and effort in your mod request as you expect the mod to take in it.

- - -

Situation II: You want a training thread!

The Wrong Way
Hi! Bill needs training in long sword. Can you help me out?

The Right Way
Hi!

Bill needs training in long sword and as he is already at Competent level with 42 XPs, an Expert or higher in Long Sword is required to teach him. I am aware that we are not allowed to write NPCs with an Expert or higher in any skill without ST permission.

May I self moderate the NPC John Doe at Awesome Armory for training purposes in a thread?
OR
Do you have time to moderate an NPC long sword expert for me?

Thank you!
Bill’s Player.

In Conclusion

We do not have an abundance of STs and, as such, those we do have are often overloaded with modded threads. There are things that require a modded thread, but of those that do not require a modded thread are:
  • Training threads
  • Job threads
Training Threads – An NPC must have a higher skill level than your PC in order to teach them. However, most STs do not require you to gain permission to self mod your own training thread unless the NPC is an expert or higher in a skill or the NPC you wish to use is city-owned instead of made up out of your head. In those circumstances, you have options other than asking your local ST to mod. They are:
  • Gain permission to self mod
  • Ask a friend to apply to the HD for permission to guest mod for you
Job Threads – It is not required to have a job thread in order to obtain employment. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule from city to city and job to job; however, ask your DS if you need a modded thread to gain employment. A lot of the time you don’t.

Yes, I’m stressing minimizing the number of modded threads you request from STs. This is because there are plenty ST modded threads which are required and necessary and not enough STs to go around. Of course, it’s flattering that you want to write a thread with an ST because so many of them are awesome; but don’t make the ST feel bad when, because they have a zillion modded threads going already, others to grade, plots to build, development to develop, they have to put you off or turn you down.

- - -

Situation III: You want to go on an adventure!

The Wrong Way
Hi! I’m bored and Lola needs something exciting to do. Will you mod a quest for me?

The Right Way
Hi!

I’ve been struggling with getting Lola’s primary character plot off the ground/furthered. Her ultimate goal is to become the Pressorah of Ahnatep which leads to her secondary goals – presently the acquirement of what I would love to be some snazzy political secret buried in the catacombs beneath Dira’s temple.

I need help figuring out the details what she can potentially learn that will, hopefully, result in her having leverage to blackmail Sinister Dude.

Do you have time to help me figure out the best way to go about this? Your ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
Lola’s Player.

In Conclusion

STs do not, for the most part, have time to do a modded thread for you just because you’re lacking in entertainment. That’s what PCs are for. Frankly, it’s kinda rude to ask an ST to mod a thread for you because you’re bored rather than asking them if they have a PC they might want to thread with. Us STs, we love our PCs, but they are often sorely neglected.

On the other hand, if you have a character goal and/or plot idea (the first translates into the second, remember, class?) and part of it requires moderation due to whatever rules (NPCs, acquired goodies, etc) and/or you need some help solidifying it and require a soundboarder, yes. Absolutely. Talk to an ST. I am happy to help with such things. Just remember that in order for an ST to help you make something awesome, you first have to give that ST something to work with.

Important Reminder!
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kraken on October 9th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Character Development Prompt

One of the most enjoyable aspects of roleplaying can often be watching your character grow and develop as you progress through threads and seasons. Sometimes, however, it's helpful to work through a prompt or workshop in order to explore your character even further.

We liaisons really encourage this exploration, so we'd like to offer you a little bit of extra help. In addition to the Character Development Questions, we now have Character Development Prompts that will be posted right here for your perusal.

And here is our very first one:
Where was your PC during the Massive Djed Storm of 512?
  • How did your PC react to the storm?
  • How was your PC personally affected by the storm?
  • How were your PC's family & friends affected?
Bonus: If your PC wasn't already in-play for the storm, write a flashback detailing the events as he or she experienced them.

If you'd like to post your answer publicly, feel free to answer these questions in your Character Sheet, in your Plotnotes, in a Scrapbook post, or even in your character's Journal.

If you enjoyed this prompt, stay tuned for more coming in the near future! As well, if you have suggestions for future prompts, please don't hesitate to PM myself or the other liaisons. We'd love to hear 'em.

Important Reminder!
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kraken on October 18th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Character Development Prompt ii.

Our prompt for today is:
How did the city where your character grew up influence their present-day personality or habits? (For example, does your PC fear magic because they were raised in Sunberth? Does your PC carry a deep respect for nature because they grew up in Mura?)
  • How is the city where your character currently resides influencing their personality or habits?
Bonus: Write a thread where your PC's place of birth strongly impacts their opinions or actions.

If you'd like to post your answer publicly, feel free to answer these questions in your Character Sheet, in your Plotnotes, in a Scrapbook post, or even in your character's Journal.

If you enjoyed this prompt, stay tuned for more coming in the near future! As well, if you have suggestions for future prompts, please don't hesitate to PM myself or the other liaisons. We'd love to hear 'em. And remember, we also offer Character Development Questions to further inspire you.

Important Reminder!
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Siren on October 21st, 2012, 8:23 am

Character Development Prompt iii.
This prompt is a little outside the box, pulling not only the reactions of your character together but also taking the decisions of the player into consideration.

Religion is a huge part of the different cultures that stretch across Mizahar. Not only are the different gods and goddesses worshipped in different cities, but these deities also choose individuals to mark and grant them unique powers.

Do Gnosis Marks play a part in your PC’s life? If so, was it the gnosis itself that drew you as a player to the god/goddess, or did the PC worship the deity and get a mark as a result?
  • Do you find yourself continuing the worship of the god/goddess or has that fallen by the wayside? Is this important to your characters development?
  • If your PC doesn’t have a Gnosis mark but is still dedicated to a god/goddess, are there any reasons why? Is it a racial trend? A cultural? Is it part of your PC’s overall concept? Or none of the above?

On the other hand, if religion isn’t important to your PC, why?
  • Does the race/city/region that your PC resides in have anything to do with this lack of religion?

Religion is somewhat overlooked in a lot of cases. If you haven’t thought about many of these things, it might be beneficial to jot down a few responses to these questions! The worst that can happen is you’ll get something out of it :P

If you enjoyed this prompt, stay tuned for more coming in the near future! As well, if you have suggestions for future prompts, please don't hesitate to PM myself or the other liaisons. We'd love to hear 'em.

Write on,
-Siren
Siren

Postby Kraken on October 31st, 2012, 2:30 am

Featured Discussion: PvP, Social Mode

Writing a conflict-filled thread with another PC may often involve the use of combat or magic. In this scenario, PCs sometimes end up fighting or competing against each other. This is a Player vs. Player situation, and it can be a difficult one to navigate.

On a certain Q&A thread, Gossamer recommended a fantastic lore article to read: Player vs. Player. The article discusses various guidelines and tactics for one to use when initiating combat against another PC. It emphasizes fairness and playing to one's skill level, and it gives plenty of helpful advice for writing your posts.

A more contentious issue, however, could potentially occur when it comes to a Player vs. Player situation that heavily involves social abilities, such as Persuasion, Seduction, Intimidation, or Negotiation (among others).

In this thread, Orion asks,
Orion Michaels wrote:Let's say an expert in persuasion is trying to talk someone into doing something. The PC's player doesn't want to do it, but really, their character doesn't have any ranks in persuasion, so what should happen?

Phenomenal question. How does one play fairly in this scenario, and is it possible to keep your own preferences for the outcome outside of the actual IC scene?

Orion adds,
Orion Michaels wrote:It just kind of feels like when it comes to social skills a player has to agree to be affected by them, where when it's combat, people are (generally) more accepting.

Do you agree? Disagree? A number of players have already weighed in, and their responses are insightful and very much worth the read. We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Do you have any advice for players in these situations (ie. when negotiating a sale where one PC has more skill points than the other, or dealing with a player who has an expert level of seduction)? As well, should one always adhere to their PC's social skill level, or are there exceptions that make certain outcomes impossible? How do you, personally, tend to respond when this sort of PvP scenario comes up?

We hope to see you add your own spark to this great conversation, or simply give it a read. And remember, if you happen to spot another interesting discussion happening somewhere on Mizahar, feel free to send it our way so we can throw it up here as a feature.

Important Reminder!
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

Next