New To this

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

New To this

Postby Dove Nighttell on September 16th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Hello, I'm new to roleplaying I was wondering if someone could help me out with it in general or tell me where an easy forum to start is on? It confuses me greatly so help would be muchly appreciated. Feel free to message me privatley if you it would make it easier on you.
Dove Nighttell
Player

Words: 108
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Race: Ghost

New To this

Postby Schism on September 16th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Hi Dove!

I'm not sure if anyone has reached you via PM just yet, so here's the deal.

In your messages ont eh forum, there should be one from "admin." This message is default and details many of the FAQs for new players (new to the site, genre, game type, you name it).

The Lore tab also features a variety of quick start guides such as character creation, "starting packages", and more literal "lore" on the world of Mizahar.

Alternatively, you can log into the Chat system. People are usually in there, and are bound to be more than eager to help. Get a variety of opinions on matters that aren't based in fact on the wiki. No one's an expert, really... xD

You can also PM any of us staff members if that's something you need. A personal request would be to read up all you can on the subject you're questioning, and have a series of specific inquiries on hand for us to help you with.

Mizahar, "the writer's RPG", is a forum roleplay where you tell a story between characters by alternating posts, etc., for XP, loot, and a grand story in the end.

I hope this information proves useful. As always, welcome to Mizahar. May you find many adventures here. :)
Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office

New To this

Postby Colt on September 16th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Hi there, Dove and welcome to Mizahar!

I absolutely know what you mean. Mizahar can be very confusing when you're just starting out. Just remember that you don't have to rush; take your time, don't try to learn everything all at once. It took me six months to get my head around this place, so don't feel bad about being confused.

There really isn't a default "easy" place to start, but Syliras is a pretty standard starting location. It's you're basic city of knightly goodness and civilization, all about honor and light and doing good deeds. Of course, if you're planning making a thief or brawler or sme other less-than honest individual, this could be one of the worst places to start for those same reasons. If you like evil and cloak-and-dagger stuff then Ravok might be the place for you, or if you want to go the tribal hunter-gatherer route then Endrykas or Falyndar might be the place for you. Or maybe, if you just want crazy and random, you could give Alvadas a try! The possibilities are endless, and all depend on what kind of character you want to make.

I'd advise at least three days of absorbing the lore and everything, but that's just my personal opinion and you are encouraged to ignore it. In the meantime, this is a good place to start.
Last edited by Colt on September 16th, 2012, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

New To this

Postby Anselm on September 16th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Ditto the above. Mizahar has a steep learning curve. The good news is that you don't have to learn it all at once. I've been here for nine months now and there are cities and races that I know almost nothing about. Whenever I encounter something new, I go searching through the lore to find out about it. Or I get on chat and start asking "dumb" questions (okay, there is no such thing as a dumb question).

Be sure you study the main article on Ghosts thoroughly, since that is your race. There's a lot of information packed fairly densely in there. Also whatever city you choose as your staring place. Beyond that, just learn it as you need it.

Most of all ... have fun!
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

New To this

Postby Schism on September 17th, 2012, 12:04 am

Look at all the help you're getting! :D
Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Office

New To this

Postby Mirage on September 17th, 2012, 1:56 am

I just thought i would chime in here! First off welcome to Mizahar! This is a fun and very welcoming place. I am one of the other resident ST's, Sahova to be exact, and if you have any questions regarding any of the undead (nuits and ghost included) or any magic related questions feel free to give me a PM as well.

I agree with everything said above. I have been here for quite some time and I STILL do not know all there is to know. The best thing to do is take it one step at a time, ask questions where you need to and never, EVER, be afraid to talk to any of your local ST's :). Ill be in chat at random times, and so will most of the people who offered such great advice before me. Tons of friendly faces here so don't be shy :D
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)