[PC Plotnotes] Rosela re Ahnatep

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is an OOC forum for PCS and Organizations to work out plans in hardcopy. Each PC or Organization gets a single thread where their players can help work out plans for their PC. Quests, mini-sagas, and Trips can all be organized here as well working out timelines and points of travel and things PCs need to do along the way. Each PC however gets only one Plotnote for their individual PC. Groups get one as well. There is no limit on individuals posting saga or trip plotnote threads. Please denote [PC Plotnotes] or [Group Plotnotes] or [Quest/Trip/Saga Plotnotes] when titling your threads.

Postby Rosela on September 24th, 2012, 11:53 am

Things to put here:

Uncategorized premise ideas
Monthly Challenges & premises
Skills to Pursue
Gnosis progression plan
Areas to contribute to
Last edited by Rosela on November 22nd, 2014, 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[PC Plotnotes] Rosela Reshimala

Postby Rosela on September 25th, 2012, 11:59 am

Gnosis Ideas:
Izentor: Expert craftsmanship will allow her to charge more in her shop for these specialty items. On a personal level, she works extremely hard to keep up and expand her shop, so appeals for strength and industry would be common.

Night Stalking Lvl 2: She increases her worship to Akajia, a logical step as she slowly gains the respect of the shadows and wants/needs to know more about the people she comes into contact with.

Minting: Her shop is her life so, even more than Akajia and Izurdin, her wants and needs coincide a great deal with Xyna's area of influence.

Shop Additions:
Exotica Line - Inspired by saris (will have to edit out midriffs and only choose examples fully pinned up)

Maternity Line - Outfits that fit any size tummy

Battlefield Line - Double stitched, double layered, double knotted, and ready to go for any combat situation.
Last edited by Rosela on November 28th, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on September 25th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Future thread Ideas:
Cosmetology
Flashback - Learning as a child
Flashback - Wedding makeup

Fashion Design Solos
Men's Winter
Women's Winter
Maternity line
Ice Masquerade (2 gowns, 2 men's, masks)
Battle line
Exotica line
Last edited by Rosela on December 1st, 2014, 6:14 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on September 25th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Proposed Business System Expansion :
Original Message
My PC and I have this dream of building Mizahar's first department store out of Red Diamond Fashions. To explain my PC's rationale - when someone wants something beautiful, be it clothing, jewelry, or throw pillows, she wants them to come to her. However, I'm struggling with the details of how it would actually work. There seem to be two main problems:

1. A single PC cannot logically create and maintain an inventory of more than a few types of items
  2. Employees are a loss-only asset, requiring payment but returning no increase in profits

The combination of these two issues is the result that there way to expand a business beyond what a PC can physically make with their own hands unless their profession is a high-enough paying one to support the loss of paying multiple employees.

If you are reading this, I'd like to think you are open to the option of developing a way out of this issue.

Say my PC already has her 3 business skills maxed out (Sewing, Fashion Design, and Philtering), but she also wants to add shoes to her brand. Even if she learned cobbling, there's not logically enough time in the day for her to maintain the other sections of her business and still be able to make enough shoes to sell. In the real world, department stores buy from outside brands and mark them up to make a profit. Due to huge inter-city travel times though, any outside businesses she could buy from would have to also be in the city, making even the idea of markups silly – no one would buy it from her when they could just go up the street. This only leaves the option of hiring someone to make them in-house which, as I mention above, would currently provide no profit.

The issue gets more complicated when a PC is hired instead of an NPC. When I added a PC business to the RDF brand as a solution to the above problem #1, I wanted that PC as a partner instead of an employee. This was partially because of the above problem #2, but mostly because I wanted the PC to be able to increase her skills and profits as much as she wanted without being limited by what Rosela herself made. While at L1, an employee is completely affordable, but if she grew to L3-4, with a base pay the same as Rosela's herself, almost all of Rosela's own pay would go to paying her employee. With NPCs, paying a higher level employee is no longer a problem as their skills obviously do not increase.

So, I've laid out the issue, but haven't provided any possible solution.

The option to start allowing employees to provide profit increases to the business owner seems to me the most straight-forward, though there are a lot of secondary questions that need answered along with it:

How much should employees increase profits: slightly less than their own pay, or slightly more than it? This is a very fundamental question that I admittedly missed on my first draft of this writeup. It's extremely difficult to answer, as it depends on how you, the creator of this system, feel about it. I feel both options have solid arguments for and against.

Having benefits slightly less than the employee's pay provides a check on the system so an owner can't basically hire someone for free, but it doesn't solve the issue of employees being a loss-only asset, it just makes them less of a loss.

Having benefits pay slightly more than the employee's salary allows basically the reverse of the above: it makes employees a real asset to the business, but it does mean an owner is, when looking at the bottom line, hiring someone for free while gaining a (for example) 5% increase in profits.

Of the two options above, I feel the latter is closer to the reality of a business hiring employees. However, because this is Mizahar, a series of very quantifiable checks and balances should be implemented to keep people from abusing the system. I address my ideas for these checks below.

How to keep PCs from abusing the system, such as hiring a dozen 1gm laborers to inflate profits for a business that doesn’t need that many people? I have a couple different ideas for this, and the solution could be from a combination of any of them:
  • Profit increases for any employees come 1 season after they are hired, negating any get-rich-quick benefits. This also makes sure only people who can already afford the base pay of an NPC can hire one, usually meaning they have to be at L2 or 3, depending on the trade. A variation of this would be that 50% of the total profit increase kicks in 1 season after hiring, and the other 50% is added yet another season later. If implemented, this should likely be attached to the actual date of hire, to prevent hiring sprees at the end of the season.
  • After a certain number of employees, non-benefit supplementary NPCs must be hired, such as an accountant or project manager. This will offset the monetary gain of hiring more than a couple people.
  • New businesses may not start with any workers who provide new types of inventory (I call them 'class 4' type, see below for ideas on classes of employees), and cannot hire any until after a certain number of seasons of their business being active.
  • When hiring class 2-4 workers, the facility for them to work in must already be built and the owner must already have a certain level in the relevant skill. The IC reason for this could be that a manager must be skilled enough to provide quality checks on the work that is sold under their name.
  • To make class 4 workers even more difficult to attain, a business may not hire them until a certain number their primary business skills have been maxed.

Should all employees increase profits the same? I believe employees should fall into one of four classes, depending on their role:
  1. Desk clerks and the like provide no benefit, as they increase neither profits nor sales.
  2. Skilled support staff, such as in-house people who create raw materials for inventory (agriculturists for a philtering shop, weavers for a clothing shop) provide minimal benefit, as their work would increase profits, but only indirectly. This could work in conjunction with or on top of the existing Creativity bonus that accounts for creating one’s own raw materials.
  3. Skilled workers who increase the inventory of currently sold items provide a minimal-modest increase as higher production can create a wider variety of items which can increase sales.
  4. Skilled workers who create new types of inventory provide a modest increase as the much wider variety of items would increase sales.

How to manage the benefits of workers who only work part-time? I had originally worked out an extremely complex system of dividing percentages based on the above class system, but to take Jen’s philosophy and KISS, the simple route would be to multiply the benefit percentage by the percent of days they worked that season. For example:
Bob provides a 5% profit benefit to the business. He worked 50 days this season, meaning 54%, so 5% multiplied by 54% would be 2.7%. Therefore, Bob provided a 2.7% profit benefit to that season’s profits.

I believe that rounds out my proposed addition to the business system.

I realize that there is a very small number of people who are interested in expanding their business to the level that paying employees is a problem. I attempted to get some stats on the number of people who have requested secondary income skills and found...only Kavala, Rosela, and Miro (who's retired anyway). I'd like to think there are more business-minded people out there, but maybe it's just not a big area of interest for people.

This was a lot of fun to write up, so even if you don’t want any of it, I’m glad I got to get in the swing of developing again with something as interesting as this. As always, thank you for your consideration.
Last edited by Rosela on November 27th, 2014, 11:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 28th, 2012, 7:29 pm

[OLD CS HOLDING]
home blueprint :

Price and Room Breakdown :
This house was bought almost entirely with OOC city Perk Points.

Grade Room Cost Notes
Elaborate Master Bedroom 2500gm
Elaborate Bath 1000gm
Simple Office 200gm
Simple Bath 200gm
Elaborate Courtyard 1500gm +3 Simple Common Areas
Simple Library 500gm
Simple Kitchen 800gm
Simple Dining Hall 750gm Halved in Size
Simple Bedroom 175gm Halved, Servant quarters
Simple Bedroom (2) 700gm 2nd Split into 2 Rooms
Simple Storage 250gm Divided into 3 areas
Simple Storage 125gm Halved
Simple Common Area 250gm 421sqft Total
Elaborate Common Area 2250gm 622sqft Total
Masonry Walls 590gm 295sqft
Subtotal 10790gm
Building discount -2697gm
Sell old plot -500gm
Total 7593gm
Last edited by Rosela on July 24th, 2015, 3:26 am, edited 33 times in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on February 11th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Business Expansion Progression

This plan focuses more on the items Rosela is able to make herself, as expanding too far beyond that is impossible. She can expand somewhat, by broadening her chosen set of skills, but a thread will be needed to narrow her previous plans of expansion. 'Mastering' her trade in Riverfall will be the medium-term goal for now, and trading throughout Cyphrus will be the long-term. Trading beyond that will be extremely difficult without external help, and so it will not be planned for right now.

Current FD count: 3 full solos, 1 3 solo, 2 entry threads = 20pts, 77 total (5ish threads needed); 3293.6 (current) vs 3937.6 (max FD) + 239.2 (L1 Philtering) = 4176.8

Current Solo Plan
Maternity FD
Spring Men FD
Spring Women FD
Battlewear FD
Masquerade FD + Weaving + Sewing
Philtering

Job Thread Count
Sewing (evalin thread, worklife)
FD (this is working)
SXP (FD) - Accounting solo, Open Up

Master Skill Progression Plan
Winter 514
Max FD
Start Philtering
Narrow master plan IC (Start Mathematics/Accounting)
Start Weaving (learn to do w/ FD)

Spring 515
Discuss further controlling supply lines (continue Mathematics)
Investigate loom mechanisms (begin work in Gadgeteering)
Get L2 in Weaving
Get L2 in Philtering

Summer 515
Begin work on shuttle loom (Gadgeteering & Carpentry)
Continue Philtering
Find trade method with Kenash (L2 in Mathematics)

Autumn 515
Finish work on shuttle loom
Start work on sewing machine
Get L3 in Philtering
Trade with Endrykas

Winter 515
Get L4 in Philtering
Finish work on sewing machine
Start work on Metalsmithing

Spring 516
Max Philtering
Create second sewing machine
Switch around business skills
Last edited by Rosela on July 24th, 2015, 3:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 12th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Idea for Multi-City Expansion

Riverfall > Kenash: 20 days

Kenash > Syliras: 30 days

Syliras > Alvadas: 15 days

Alvadas > Riverfall: 35 days (used Syliras travel time to estimate)

Due to travel times, would have to spend more than 1 season in each location to not be constantly traveling.

Travel time alone is 100 days total.

Would need initial travel to each location to buy shop location, hire employee, and gauge city's fashion preferences.

Would each shop be year-round, even when she's not there, or only open during her visit?

Would need to hire traveling nanny to help with child.

Year-round considerations:
  • Would need a lot of up-front mizas to pay for employees, shops, and rent in each city
  • Would selling 4x the inventory gain her 4x the profits?
  • How to trust employees in her absence?
  • How to send supplies - once a season, or more often?
  • How to even make 4x the inventory?
  • Would allow her to get out of RF for once

Seasonal openings considerations:
  • Would still need a lot of up-front mizas to pay for shops and rent in each city
  • Could bring employees from RF instead of hiring locally
  • Less shipping expenses, would just bring inventory with her
  • Making same amount of inventory
  • All travel days would not get paid

Seasonal openings would be significantly easier, but much less profit. The main problem for year-round would be in creating that much inventory. In addition to paying on-location clerks, would need additional help at HQ for pure labor. year-round makes significantly more money though, so after the first season, the profits would more than cover the expenses.

In either case, would need to either start small and open a branch in Kenash.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes