[Quest] An old Address (Harlequill)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 14th, 2010, 1:21 am

49th day of Spring 510 AV

Today was the day Jaq was to set off an a rather long well paying job. He had spoken to his neighbors, a kelvic couple, and told them he would most likely be back before summer's start. He had gotten prepared for a fight, as he would have to everyday for the duration of his job. This meant he now wore his spiked gauntlets, vambracers, greave's and under his white linen shirt a slender chain mail vest. Hanging of his belt on the left side was his katana, Memoria, and hanging of the right was an odd looking crossbow a rope lopping through several wheels and a grappling hook at the end where an arrow would normally be. He wasn't wearing his jacket, the thing was to warm for this nice weather, but he had it ready at the top of his back pack in case he needed it. In order to prepare for the day Jaq had remained sober since he had been hired on for the job. In his excitement Jaq had woken up a bit early this morning and had arrived at the designated meeting place, right outside the gates to Syliras, rather early.

With nothing to do but wait, Jaq had fallen asleep sitting against a tree right outside the cities gates. The guards, having gotten used to Jaq's odd comings and goings into the city, only looked on as he took his nap. It wasn't until a bit of noise an hour later woke Jaq up. A large group of people had formed right outside the gate near him. Two rather loud people were standing next to the tree had woken him up. They stood slightly off to the side so as to not block the entrance. Most of the people had fallen into the usual groups. Those who knew each other or had worked together before sat near the wall catching each other up on their lives. Day laborers hired for jobs that would end up interacting with each other spent their time introducing themselves. The stragglers who were arriving just now, not so much late as arriving on time, formed there own little group either to shy or to uncaring to try and find a group to join right near the gate. The two largest groups were the Quarter masters and the mercenaries. The quarter masters spent their time readying what supplies they had and organizing the few day laborers needed so that when the time came everyone could move out.

Jaq got up and moved over to the outer edges of the mercenaries group, who were easily recognizable by the heavy weaponry. He stopped near the edge of the group and started listening in on their conversation. They had formed a loose circle and were going around it speaking in turns. Introductions were being made, general skills were spoken out, and if one or more were part of a preformed group or company it was let known to the others. A meet and greet to help them get organized. A great many of the men, and one or two women, seemed to be from this one company. Jaq had missed the name. Likely the rest would be formed around the large companies for practicality. Just speculation though. Until the captain of the mercenaries, chosen by the employer, was named or introduced they were all equals.

When it came time for Jaq to speak he kept things simple. To go into detail would appear boastful, but to be vague would be aggravating. "Jaq, swordsman." Despite the fact that Jaq had blatantly used his magic skills as a bargaining chip in almost every job to get more coin, he did not plan on telling any of the other mercenaries. It would only sow distrust and fear toward Jaq. If they did find out it would be in a combat situation in which Jaq's magic saved some lives. Put into that light, distrust would be less of a problem. Without heistation they moved on to the next person. Jaq was almost taken aback by the sight of her. It was a rather striking konti women, garbed in light armor with two suvai blades hanging from one side. Next to her stood another konti who seemed to bare a very close resemblance to the first wearing very similar garbs and also sporting two suvai. Possibly sisters.

"I am Luavina and this is my sister Nica, we wield suvai and are skilled battle medics."
Luavina finished speaking and looked to her sister, who only responded with a tilt of her head.

Jaq barley heard the rest of the people as he thought about the konti sisters. He had met several konti women in Riverfall and had learned the hard way that they deserved respect, he actually had a scar on his back where a suvai had bit into him. Thankfully that same konti woman had also healed that wound not a few minutes later when she learned he had been the victim of a practical joke. The story was simple, he had asked what would be a proper greeting when speaking to a konti women. The man he had talked to Jaq later learned was a disliked scoundrel had told him a bit of the konti's language and explained to Jaq it was there equivalent of hello. That had been a lie. Thankfully Kalani, the konti women in Riverfall, had been understanding. They had become good friends after that.

Jaq decided when the mercenaries disbanded this little group he would go introduce himself to the women. If nothing else resulted in it Jaq might be able to make a good first impression with the healers. Given the length of the job that might become important. Before the group could even finish their introductions a hush fell over the laborers. The mercenaries, curious as to what was going on, turned almost as group and began searching for the reason for the silence. One mercenary pointed to two men walking out of the gates. It appeared the brothers had arrived.
Last edited by Jaquise Emittere on May 24th, 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Words: 173150
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 2:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harlequill on May 14th, 2010, 4:06 pm

The Brothers

The hustle and bustle of an archeological expedition getting under way was a large one. While the knights were helpful as ever it was clear that they would be relieved when this rabble cleared the entrance for other citizens. Once the quartermasters had the situation under control the teamsters started their wagons forward slowly. It would be a difficult trek through the wilderness with the bulky transportation, but the tools necessary for the trip were varied and heavy. Standing at the back of the column as it was moving out were two brothers, the men who had organized the expedition.

The oldest, Ben Takke, wore a dark robe and bore himself with a whimsy that disquieted his brother. Just as some of the mercenaries in his employ Ben viewed this entire trip as an adventure in which to have as much fun as possible. In spite of the early hour he was already gripping a cup that was undoubtedly filled with strong drink. When he noticed Jaquise he gave the man a cheery wave and a grin. It had been Ben who had been most excited when Jaq revealed his magical expertise as a bargaining chip.

The youngest, Allen Takke, wore a robe of lighter hue and seemed to be attempting to make up for his brother's lightheartedness with a seriousness of his own. He rarely smiled, and Jaq would remember him as a shrewd negotiator on the topic of pay and the division of loot. Though he was one of the youngest men in the expedition he was the leader, without question. Separating himself from his brother with a slight frown he made his way over toward the mercenaries. Just as his appearance suggested his voice carried a gravity which suggested that this 'adventure' was far from 'fun and games'. "Men, and women...You will be paid well when we accomplish our mission, and you have already negotiated your own shares. You know what you are here for. After discussing the matter with each of you I have decided that, until he proves otherwise, Jaquise will be your commanding officer. Where we go there is danger. Disobedience will not be tolerated. You may leave at any time you wish, but know that you forfeit any pay by doing so. We are not hiring you to get us halfway there, we are hiring you to help us complete our mission. That is all. Captain Jaquise, contact me once you have arranged your command to your liking."

With that the youngest of the brothers turned on his heel and departed. Allen and Ben sought out the front of the column. As they did so the mercenaries turned to Jaquise with a curiousity in their eyes. Many of them were experienced warriors, but it did not appear that any of them doubted Jaq's ability to lead. It was still important that he prove himself to them through his own actions, or it could be difficult to command them during the mission. There were fourteen, all in all, with Jaq being the fifteenth warrior. A sizable force.

None of the men and women were mounted, but that should not pose a problem considering how slowly the expedition train was moving. As they watched and waited the wagons unfolded from the front of the city and began their trek into the wilderness. The search had begun. Such a racket was made by the men and horses and wagons that it was unlikely any ordinary predators would bother them. The fear of the mercenaries remained: what would be attracted by such noise?
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Words: 72067
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 15th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Jaq frowned a little at the use of his full name but otherwise made no comment as the younger of two brothers spoke. Allen had already asserted his position as the leader and wouldn't be wise for someone to argue with him. When they left Jaq turned to the others and studied each of them. six of them, four males and a female, had ranged weapons along with a series of swords hanging from their belts. five crossbows and a longbow. The five with crossbows, and two others, wore tabards somewhere on their body with the image of a wolf's head. Jaq guessed these were part of that company of mercenaries he had heard tell about during the introductions. The last with longbow wore mostly leather and reminded Jaq something of the trackers and what not caravan's hired to watch for wild animals. With them and Jaq's skill in reimancy that made 6 viable weapons at range. As Jaq studied the rest he tried to recall all his father had drilled into him about tactics for a viable watch system as the group traveled. With such a large number of people to watch over it would be a difficult thing to ensure the entire group of 67 people, 50 day laborers, 15 mercenaries, and the two brothers, were covered but it could be done.

The group had an interesting variety of people. While it looked mostly human, Jaq noted the presence of an akalak, the two Konti sisters, and a thin women who might be a kelvic.

"Alright, before we begin I want you all to know that while I expect the orders I give to be followed, I also expect you all to give input when we have time. I understand each of you brings unique experiences and skills to the table and I will not take them lightly. As I call on you to step forward I want each of you to give me your names. Jaq looked around for a moment at the myriad of faces staring at him. Some showed understanding, some showed uncaring, one or two showed a bit of anger at not being chosen, but all seemed to have heard him. "We are going to split everyone up into five groups of three, with each person in a group standing 10 feet away from each other in a circle around the whole of the expedition force. I'd like to have one of you with the bows in each group.Anyone with tracking skills please step forward."

A man with a longbow stepped forward, "Jay" along with a rather large man covered in furs and holding what looked like a spear made of bone, "Harold" and a lithe women with eyes as narrow as slits wearing little more then a tied on robe. "V" "Alright, each of you will be in one of the rear groups," Jaq pointed to the two men, "watching for signs of anything that might be following us. I want you," Jaq motioned to the female, "up front with me and the brothers watching for any signs of danger near them. You with the furs go stand near the wall, your team 1. You with the bow over 5 feet closer to us in the same direction, your team 2. You with no weapons next to me, we're team 3 The two men complied immediately, and after a brief look back at the other mercenaries V also nodded in assent. Jaq was reminded how much this was like those games as a child where captains would pick teams. He was usually chosen last, if at all, because of his odd appearance. Being pale and missing on eye can screw up a childhood pretty easily. Now that he was Captain, Jaq found it a less full filling, and a little annoying. Instead of only having the outcome of a child's game on the line, Jaq was picking teams to protect living people. Some of the teams he organized might get killed because he made a mistake.

"I'm loathe to break up pre-existing groups, so except for the two konti medics and those wearing the tabard with the wolf on it would anyone whose worked together please step forward with the person they know." The two sisters looked a little angry at the comment, but Jaq let it pass for now. He had heard no word of any other combat medics and putting the only two with such skills together in one group would be to risky. Two pairs stepped forward, one consisting of two heavily armored men with rather gruff beards, and one consisting of a rather short man and a tall dark purple skinned akalak. Both groups sounded out there names but Jaq only made a pretense of hearing it. There was no way he was going to remember them all today. "Alright, two of you with the crossbows come stand near these guys."[b] Two men stepped forward and stood beside the two pairs. [b]"Ronald"...."Barry" That left two more crossbows and "Alright which one of you," Jaq strained for a moment to recall the mercenary groups name, "Wolves is the leader?"

The women with the crossbow stepped forward with, the grim look she had carried changing into something holding not to little suspicion. Perhaps she thought he was going to try and knock her down a peg to assert his authority, perhaps she though he was going to insult her for being a women in charge of a mercenary company. Whatever the reason she do not look happy as she moved passed the two groups and stood in front of him. Jaq wondered for a moment what could have made her so suspicious.

"Shi'ara"

"Your my second. Should anything happen to me in a fight, your in charge unless or until the brothers decide to name another captain. I want you in group 3 to assist me in making decisions."

Whatever she had been expecting, be given a position of authority was obviously not it. The look of surprise that crossed her cold features made her almost look pretty. It faded quickly back the original grim look she had carried. and stepped next to him and V. The kelvic woman breathed what sounded like a sound of relief. Jaq wondered why but continued on.

"All right, because you two are the only medics it seems will have for this trip I'm going to be putting you both into different groups. It'd be to risky to have our only care for the wounded in the same group, lest we invite an attack there. Any objections?"

The two konti frowned and looked at each other, as if by just looking they could communicate. Perhaps they could. Jaq had heard rumors that Konti were all gifted with some form of divination that could manifest in something like empathy. Maybe as they stood there both woman were having a conversation with feelings. Or maybe it was a sibling thing. Jaq was an only child and didn't know much about that either. Finally nodded and Luavina nodded back.

"Alright, you two are both going into one of the rear groups." Jaq did not mention that he was hoping their divination skills, whatever they were, might give the group a forewarning. That would be something he would ask them at a later time, perhaps with only Shi'ara in attendance. "Niva in team 1, Luavina in team 2."

That left only two more mercenaries. Both wore the wolf tabards and both carried crossbows. Jaq to Shi'ala. "Your more familiar with your company, which of these would you say is more skilled with his crossbow?"

Shi'ala seemed to ponder the question for a moment before answering. "Michael, the one with the cropped gray hair, has the best aim. The other, Gared, has potential but not enough experience."

It was a good thing Jaq had asked. He was originally pick the younger, Gared, for surely at the age Michael had reached his eyes should be failing him. It looked like he would have been wrong to do so though. "Michael, go with Team 1. Gared, go with Team 2."

Despite the inexperience Shi'ala said he had Gared would at least be able to back Jay up with his crossbow. Jaq looked to Shi'ala to see if she had any complaints with the groups formations. When, after a moment of studying, the mercenary leader nodded her head Jaq looked back to the group. "You've got your teams. Now for your positions. Team 1, your watching our back on the right side, Team 2 back left. Team 4, your covering the group on the outer edges to the right, team 5 your covering the left. Team 3 will be on point, watching the brothers. Any questions.?"

When nothing was said Jaq continued. "Those of you who have not done so, before reporting to your assigned positions and teams, go drop your gear of with the Quartermasters. Nothing but weapons, armor, and any other battle related gear should be on you weighing you down. That includes food. Also, as of this moment there will be no drinking for the duration of the mission. I find one of you with any alcohol, you'll be all night on watch for the rest of the trip there. That is all."

When the rest of the mercenaries had dissipating off to get ready and get into position, Jaq turned back to the tree he had been sleeping on and picked up his own gear. When he turned back around, he found both V and Shi'ala standing before him. Jaq watched them watching him for perhaps a minute before finally one of them spoke up, V.

"Why did they pick you over Ala?" The way she said the nick name, with a bit of affection and a great deal of familiarity, did not go by Jaq. His eyebrows rose as realization down upon him. The mercenary leader was V's bondmate it seemed.

Shi'ala did not seem happy with V's question, and gave her a look that said so, but neither did she apologize for it. It appeared the thought had crossed her mind as well. If Jaq was going to work together with them, he needed the air clear of any such thoughts or doubts. The problem was if he told them the most likely reason he was chosen, it might cause other issues to arise and the number of doubts along with it. "I had a rather interesting upbringing, which resulted in me learning a great deal about tactic's and combat. The only thing I lack at the moment is the experience to fill in the spots knowledge doesn't cover. It's why I chose you as a second. Your experience, my know how. Your going to help me make sure everyone in this archaeological expiation force comes back to this city alive."

Shi'ala thought on Jaq's words for a few moments before responding. She seemed the think on everything. "So you didn't just choose me because I control the majority of mercenary force and most of your ranged support?"

"A lesser reason to be sure, but not the only one. Now lets get a move on, we don't want to keep everyone else waiting."

Secret :
After this post, Jaq drops his tent off with the quartermaster and heads to point with the rest of team 3.

Lot of leadership and tactics. I was confused writing it, so I got a picture and a list to help out.

Team Placement (Used a square to represent the force, though they probably won't be moving in an exact square its the general are the teams will be)

List of Teams
Team 1 - 3 people
Harold - Tracker skills
Niva - battle medic
(Wolf) Michael - crossbow

Team 2
- 3 people
Jay - longbow, tracker skills
Luavina - battle medic
(Wolf) Gared - backup with crossbow

Team 3 - 3 people
Jaq
V - kelvic (wolf), tracker skills
(Wolf Leader) Shi'ala - crossbow

Team 4 - 3 people
Akalak
Short Guy - d'hani (Jaq doesn't know it)
(Wolf) Ronald - crossbow

Team 5
- 3 people
Armored man 1
Armored man 2
(Wolf) Barry - crossbow
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harlequill on May 15th, 2010, 6:27 pm

By the time his orders were given word of his new position had spread throughout the entire train. Everyone he passed gave him at least a respectful nod and at most a haphazard salute and a smile. It was always a good day when the man in command was on good terms with the people he was protecting. The day itself proved to be even better. Sunshine falling on the company had the comfortable, muted quality of a slightly overcast day. If the pleasant breeze and soothing temperature were any indication then this would be an enjoyable trip all around.

Allen and Ben were deep in conversation when group 3 arrived at their wagon. With a polite but firm gesture from the youngest of the two, it was clear that they would like to complete their conversation in private before beginning the previously established meeting with Jaq. Sitting next to Ben was a stout wooden club, two handed perhaps, wrapped in strips of iron. Resting in Allen's lap was a gracefully constructed rapier.

The riding and walking continued at much the same steady pace while they waited for the opportunity to meet with the brothers. Very little animal activity could be seen, but that was because the noise from their wagons likely echoed through all the surrounding wilderness. At this pace, given the map that Jaq had perused during his interview, it would take approximately five days to reach their destination. That estimate did not take into account any delays such as an injured horse, broken wagon, or blocked trail.

Tenner, the head quartermaster, rode one wagon back from the front. He was a human man of advanced years with flyaway white hair and a weathered face. Waving Jaq closer when he noticed the delay, he hopped down from his wagon and offered the group a basket of fresh apples to choose from. "If you lot need anything special during this trip, just let old Tenner know," he said with a gap-toothed smile, "I know how to appreciate someone keeping these old bones alive."

As the old man spoke with the mercenaries a young child poked his head out from behind another clump of baskets. He smiled and waved out, looking over Jaq as if the mercenary were the center of the universe. Hero worship. It was something that every exceptional warrior would encounter at one time or another. Clearly this young man had no doubts that the Captain of the mercenaries could live up to all of his expectations.

Looking back at the boy and then toward the trio, the old man smiled again. Somehow his missing teeth managed to make him seem more endearing. In him was carried the appearance of a grandfather. Wise, hardworking, and friendly. When he put the basket back on the moving wagon he snagged one for himself and began peeling it with his belt knife as they walked. It was easier to gum at apple when it was skinned. "Don't mind Jade. We didn't want to leave him at an orphanage, so he ended up joining us on this trip. I'll keep him out from underfoot. He doesn't talk, but he'll follow you all day if you let him. You folk have serious business to attend to, i'm sure the last thing you need is some fool boy following you around," the last was said more to Jade than to the mercenaries, though he smiled again as he said it.

The beginning of an adventure was a daunting task. Many of the problems inherent in such a task had already been addressed by Allen. Food was plenty, tools were stowed, transportation and organization were both top notch for the needs of the group. The only responsibility that fell upon Jaq's shoulders was making sure that everyone made it back home alive. If that was not possible, then it would be his job to ensure that as many lived as possible. How much blood would the magician see spilled in the wildlands?

Jade, Jaq's first fan
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 15th, 2010, 8:53 pm

As Jaq walked through the crowd to the front, he was careful to greet each of those who acknowledged him politely. If they liked him they might be willing to cooperate more with certain security measures that might become necessary. When Jaq and the rest of team 3 finally reached the brothers he was given the signal to wait until hey were finished. Jaq noticed something that he had either missed earlier, unlikely considering what it was, or something they had done since he had last seen them a few minutes ago. They were both armed. The older more erratic brother, Ben had what looked like a simple club with strips of iron strapped around it. The younger one, Allen, looked to have a finally wrought rapier, a weapon Jaq had almost ended up using long ago.

When head quartermaster waved Jaq over he saw little reason not to comply. He also saw little reason not to take an apple, and made sure both Shi'ala and V took one as well. Any man that offers food as good as those apples tasted was alright in Jaq's book. "I shouldn't be needing much at the moment. I would ask that you try and keep any liquor away from the other mercenaries though. They'll do little good as protectors with their minds softened by alcohol. It's probably inevitable that they'll find a source but the less that source offers them the less drunk they can get."

Who would have thought Jaq would ever have to ban drinking. If he were in the other mercenaries shoes he'd hate the captain for even suggesting it. Even now he felt tempted to lift the ban on the sauce just so he could have some that night. He had to think in the long run though. He'd rather live to drink another day, then drink now and get killed.

Jaq smiled at the kid, but inwardly he got a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. Despite his visits to the Welcome Home in Syliras, Jaq never considered himself a kid person. Oh sure he made magical toys for the orphans, but there was no way he would have the patience to take care of them. He didn't like the idea of having a kid along for such a dangerous journey. It put a weight of responsibility on him that wasn't there before. Jaq could fail to protect some of these people, make a mistake and get a few killed, and still sleep at night. It wouldn't be very well but he would. Unlike the adults who knew the risk they were getting into and had made their choice, Jade had no understanding of the risks. Jaq knew then that he would do everything in his power to get Jade back to Syliras safely. Even if it meant sacrificing himself.

Jaq turned once more to Tenner and smiled, it was a bit strained but otherwise no different from his earlier smiles. "It would be best to keep him close to the expedition force that's for sure." Jaq thanked the man for the apples and moved once more toward the brothers, who still hadn't finished talking. A glance at Shi'ala and V told the pale wizard that he wasn't alone in his thoughts about the child.

As the company moved Jaq began discussing plans with Shi'ala to get his mind off of the kid and kill time while he waited for the brothers. V chime in every once in a while when her experience overlapped what they spoke of but otherwise kept silent. Apparently she was used to it. The Expedition force would take a full five days to get through the force without any complications. It wasn't likely that nothing would go wrong so Jaq gave it 7. Shi'ala agreed but was a bit less optimistic about the time. 10 days she said. Then there was the sweep of the ruins itself that Jaq would talk to the brothers about. He'd want the two of the teams with trackers, along with a third accompanying them, moving through looking for any signs of dangerous indigenous wildlife that might cause a problem fr the force. If they found none or found something and easily dispatched it then the force would settle and start their work. V said for her it would easy to sniff out any danger. Jaq wondered if she was speaking literally, but agreed that they would probably be going as on of the groups, though either Shi'ala or Jaq would have to stay behind in case they came across something dangerous. Shi'ala agreed and further added that one of the konti women should also go, in case something happens and treatment is needed immediately to stave off death. Jaq didn't want to risk sending in one of their medics, but agreed that every sword hand was valuable. The conversation moved on from there to night watches. Jaq felt that if they could over the night watch with three teams, with one of the teams with a tracker on each watch. The night would consist of three watches and each team of mercenaries would cover two watches a night and sleep the third. The rotation would difficult to handle, but it could be done. One team, most likely team 3, would have to take the first watch, sleep the second, and take the third. It would be the most difficult because it meant going to sleep late and getting up early, but neither Shi'ala had any objections to taking it. The only thing they couldn't plan for was the watch at the ruins. They needed to see it before they could do such a thing. The conversation went off into speculation, as well as general details.

Jaq looked to the brothers once more to see if they were ready to speak to him yet. After all, team 3 would have to begin doing there job soon which meant there would be little time for talking.
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harlequill on May 15th, 2010, 9:28 pm

"Not to worry, not a drop of the good stuff will reach their lips. As you said, I can't lock everything down, but the strong stuff rides in my wagon from now on." The old man grinned and jerked a thumb back at his wagon for emphasis. Slicing a bit of apple he slipped it into his mouth and chewed it up. When told to keep the kid close Tenner nodded and motioned for the kid to follow him as they made their way back further along the train. He had many preparations to make if he was going to adjust the wagon loads on the move in order to keep his promise.

Jade smiled in silent laughter as he left the wagon. Stooping low he scooped up a weed which had flowered off the side of the trail. Its pretty yellow petals shone in the early morning light as he sniffed it and chased after his caretaker. To say that he had no idea of the dangers he was in could not have been more accurate. This trip lit the boy's face with all the promise and wonder of a new adventure.

The young boy and the old man soon disappeared in the dust of the wagons. Occasionally the voice of the quartermaster could be heard bellowing orders with a fierceness that did not match his advanced years. Complaints could also be heard in response. No one liked the idea of the best drink being given up and stored in another man's wagon. Whether from fear of Jaq, or respect for Tanner, they eventually gave up everything he could lay his hands on.

When Jaq looked over to the brothers again they had finished their conversation. Both the club and Ben were gone, likely to seek out the same strong drink that Tenner was so intent on ferreting away in his wagon. Allen caught Jaq's eye and motioned for him to come close. He could either walk beside the wagon as it rolled or he could jump up into the spot vacated by the oldest brother.

"Excellent idea banning alcohol captain. I would have had this a dry journey, but my brother and his laborers might have had me hung." The young man smiled, keeping his gaze ahead so that he could avoid any roots or dangerous ruts in the dirt he came across. "I have a few things to brief you on now that we are underway, but first I'd like to know how you've organized the men, and answer any other questions you might have."

Though a full five years younger than Jaq, it was clear that Allen was no normal archeologist. He held the rapier nearby and looked quite capable of drawing it at will and using it when necessary. Now that he was much closer, it was also apparent to him that both of the brothers wore something beneath their robes. The clinking of chain could be heard very faintly over the rolling of the wagon wheels and the noise of the horses.

Soon the trails would become more treacherous. It did not take long for a person headed into the Wildlands to run out of road. Neither animal trails nor bare stretches of earth were quite the same as rolling over an avenue designed for wagons. While his attention was on the conversation, Allen never spared a glance for the people he was talking to while moving the wagon. Though he now had the money to hire a large number of workers, it seemed that he had plenty of hands on experience himself.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 15th, 2010, 10:22 pm

The pale mercenary thanked the head quartermaster for his assistance, silently laughing as he heard the man going about his task of sealing up all the hard drinks. When Allen finally waved him over, Jaq noticed his brother was gone and wondered if there was any correlation between his absence and Tenner's quest to assist the pale wizard.

Jaq felt better knowing that Allen appeared to be a capable person, one who obviously hands on experience. In the past, leaders who had been there and done that knew the limitations those they lead had, or at least had an idea of what those limitations were. It would make for an easier less strained working relationship. "Yes, though I'm not so sure the others you've hired my not come at me with similar intentions. Tenner seems a reliable man, though I worry over his choice of bringing the child Jade along."

Jaq decided to continue walking. If he was seen by the other mercenaries as taking advantage of his position, it might not turn out to well for him when the mission was over. The code of mercenaries only held back violence until then. One of the reasons Jaq was a little annoyed by his position. Despite his attitude and general beliefs, as well as his way of living, Jaq was a non confrontational person. He was well aware of his own mortality. "I've split them into 5 team of three, each one encompassing a person equipped with a ranged weapon. I've place two of the teams on the side, as well as two teams in the rear on either side. Then their is my team, who will be up here at point. We include the leader of the wolves mercenary force," Jaq gestured to Shi'ala who walked a feet feet behind him conversing with V, "And a kelvic woman with tracking skills who will search for signs of any dangerous wildlife in front of us. The two team in the rear have people with tracking skills as well, and will be on the lookout for any signs of us being followed. I have also split the two battle medics into these groups. They are the groups that are closest together and thus closest to assistance. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the medics safe. All members of the party are at least ten feet apart, but know to keep at least one of their group within sight. These positions allow us to watch for danger on all sides, and also provide us a means of moving people into a defense position rather quickly. For instance if we were to be attacked on the right by an incoming force, both the team on point and the team at the rear right can converge in a matter of moments and deal with the threat, leaving the other two teams to move into position of defense in case more threats come from another side."

Jaq took a deep as he finished describing the choices he made in the positions of the mercenaries. "There are a few things to ask on. The first is if within the laborers you have hired another, non combat oriented doctor? Battle medics are could for patching up wounds quickly with whats at hand, but they are sometimes lacking when it comes to long term care. My second is how long you intend for us to travel each day, how many rest periods there will be, and how ling each one will take. In such instances I would like to have two teams resting to keep up our strength, but it may be that a team will go without breaks if there are only two stops planned a day. My finally queries involves the ruins with which our destination lies. Will we being stopping within the ruins, or making camp nearby? And will you allow three of the teams to search the ruins for any hazards before hand? It would not be good to have our borders secured. while we make camp in an area that contains a threat within its boarders."

Another deep breath. It seems the position of Captain has the side affect of becoming long winded. Not so much a bad thing, as he had not been ranting, but something to watch. Jaq was not a mercenary or power or wealth or even the fighting, but the freedom it offered him. The position of Captain restricted him as much as it elevated him into a position of authority. Aside from that, Captain Jaq had an awful sound to it. Noise beside him alerted Jaq to the fact that Shi'ala had joined them. "Oh yes. Should anything happen to me I have named Shi'ala as my second. If I am not to be reached due to some issue, the same applies. She will also be assisting me in whatever decisions must be made, so it would be good for her to hear everything that is said as well."
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harlequill on May 16th, 2010, 1:20 am

Allen listened to his assessment of the mercenaries calmly, eyes forward and to his task. When Jaq had finished informing him of the layout of the troops he nodded and smiled. "Well thought out indeed, Captain. We will benefit greatly from your expertise." The wagon hit a slight bump, jostling its cargo as well as its passenger. The young man's expression turned to a frown.

Thinking about his questions carefully took several moments, leaving the Captain and his second in awkward silence broken only by the squeak of the wagon. He seemed to know the mission parameters backwards and forwards, which could only mean that he was weighing how much he should share at this moment. Not exactly dishonest, but it did not inspire confidence.

"To my knowledge we do not have a doctor, as such. We have a horse doctor to keep an eye on our teams. Not many respectable doctors want to travel where we are going, and all the disrespectable doctors are in jail. The knights do their job well." He smiled ruefully and rubbed his lips as though thirsty. Once he had ridden another hundred feet he spoke up, "With light permitting I was hoping for ten hour days, resting the horses every two hours. These wagons are heavy and the terrain is rough. We'll be in a lot of trouble if one of them pulls up lame."

"The ruins themselves are mostly buried, which is why we need such a large supply of labor and equipment. You are welcome to search the area before we enter, I am familiar with the landmarks nearby and can warn you as we approach. Most of our work upon arrival will be unearthing the buildings which were buried and searching for the tomb in question," he paused to look at each of them, before falling silent again.

Clouds above began to thicken, and the morning changed from a pleasant overcast to a chilly one. They might have a refreshing spring rain soon. When Allen spoke up again his tone sounded less certain, and it was hushed so that it would not carry beyond the ears of his mercenary leaders. "We are aware of at least one threat between us and the ruins. Some sort of animal, though we never observed it ourselves. The scouts we hired reported several half-eaten bear corpses and uprooted trees. If we encounter anything I've no doubt you and your team can handle it, but you should alert them to the presence of...something. If we stay on schedule we'll reach its territory in two days."

The clinking of chain could be heard once more as the light hued robe shifted on his shoulders and he shrugged, saying no more. He looked less worried for his own safety than worried about the superstitions of his men. There were quite a few horrors in the world of Mizahar, but the ones that uprooted trees and killed every bear in their territory were the kind to put fear into hardened soldiers.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaquise Emittere on May 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Jaq listened to Allen as he spoke without interrupting the man. Learning that the only doctors they actually had were the konti battle medics and a horse doctor was a blow for sure. It would mean they were all the more important. News of a creature that enjoyed eating bears and uprooting trees residing between the expedition force and the ruins bothered Jaq. Now when he looked into the surrounding forest he could feel a malevolent force watching them. It was utter crock since Jaq had no such magic. It was just this new information screwing with his mind. And he was the one would could summon a gale force wind at will. What affect would this have on the labor force. Though Jaq didn't like not being informed earlier, he understood why Allen kept it from the majority of people. They might follow him into a possibly lethal situation, they wouldn't follow him into am proven deadly situation. He had known that there such creatures in the wildlands, but he had always thought there was a possibility the group wouldn't encounter such beasts.

Jaq spoke his thoughts to Shi'ala on the issue. They would want to see if they can speak to the people that brought Allen this information. Perhaps they could glean some bit of truth Allen might not have missed ore realized was important and learn moire about what this creature was. Shi'ala agreed. Any information they had would help she said. Jaq also ran a few plans by Shi'ala as they walked. The majority of them were speculation. If the creature was taking down bear it might be on the large side, and thus easy for those with ranged weaponry to feather it. Jaq did not mention that he would be pitching in with reimancy if it became necessary.

As they were talking V walked over to them and said, "Why not just walk around its territory?" When Jaq tried to give her the 'what it?' run around she shook her head with a smile and pulled at one of her ears. "You may have been speaking quietly for human's but I could hear most of it from where I was standing."

Jaq opened his mouth to give a retort but it died in his throat. He turned to Allen on the wagon. "Is walking around it possible?"
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Harlequill on May 17th, 2010, 4:16 pm

The archeologist weighed this question before shaking his head to indicate the negative. "If we did not need these wagons, we could go around. There are very few places in the wilderness that will allow such bulky transport. If we stopped to search for another way around it could take weeks. During those weeks we would be substituting the danger we know for many dangers we do not."

Thick droplets of water began to fall from the sky in a lazy rhythm. There was no downpour, just a steady rain. Visibility was not impeded greatly, but it was a little more difficult to hear subtle noises with the pitter pattering of rain on canvas, leaves, mud, and puddles. Travelers throughout the caravan began pulling their cloaks tighter about them and raising the hoods, or placing whatever hats they owned on their heads. Even in warm weather walking for hours the rain could turn unpleasant if not properly covered.

The sole exception to this rule was Jade. Just behind Allen's wagon he could be seen stomping in puddles and dancing in the rain. With a bright smile on his face he seemed to be laughing on the inside. Whether he could not make noise at all or if he chose not to was not apparent yet. As soon as he noticed Jaquise, Shi'ala and V he waved to them with enthusiasm. If it weren't for Tenner's watchful eyes he might have charged right over to meet them.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Next