A Caged in Feeling (Liminal)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Diem on May 14th, 2010, 3:24 pm

21st day of Spring 510 AV

Diem's time in Sunberth had been a rather interesting learning experience. He had learned what it truly meant to be vigilant. Almost every waking hour of every waking day the bald young man had to keep his mind focused, watching and waiting. Thrice since his first day here people have tried to mug him. Had they not been rather frail and half starved they might have succeeded. Instead of using what skills in self defense Diem had, he'd offered the muggers an alternative. Diem would teach them the basics to fishing so they could provide food for themselves, and they would quit trying to steal money. Two of them attacked him anyway, deciding it better to simply have the money. Left with no other choice Diem used his not so small amount of skill in Savante to dispatch them. The last one though had taken Diem up on his offer. Moris, the third mugger, turned to be a quick study and soon after his lessons had bought his own fishing rod. The next time Diem saw him he was selling his catches for money. He appeared better fed and even better clothed.

The more common form of thievery though was pickpocketing. Twice Diem had lost some food to an accidental bump or someone who tripped and fell. He had learned since then to keep a watch on the people who came to close to him.

It didn't make him feel that good that he was starting to adapt and perhaps even conform to the usual citizen on Sunberth, though he still refrained from any activity he considered immoral. It made him feel like he was cheapening his values out of fear. For instance, once a week he found three of the most hungry looking people he could find on the streets and offered them a cooked meal. At the end of every such meal he checked there pockets to ensure they hadn't stolen anything. It didn't make him feel any better that as of yet no one had not tried to steal from him after he fed them.

So today he searched for a friend he didn't know how to find. Diem hadn't seen Gemmy in weeks and he was hoping to ask for her assistance in a matter. It had been a great while, perhaps since just before Diem had arrived in Sunberth, that the young man had a chance to spar with anyone. Oh sure he practiced the forms daily by himself but that was only staving off the degradation of skills, it didn't little to help him improve them. He was at the point where he would be most benefited by experience, and that was not something one could find while avoiding fighting. However he didn't want to create any problems for himself by simply challenging random people to a fight. Though they might agree, they also might pull a weapon and harm him to take his stuff.

A snort to his left pulled Diem out of his thoughts. Spot, Diem's horse who actually had a plain white coat with no spots, was a little aggravated that the young man had stopped. She figured the sooner they got to where ever they were going the sooner he would take his bags of her back. Since he didn't trust the town or it inhabitants that much, Diem often had spot carry things like his tent around with him when he traveled through the town. Luckily he didn't have many possessions. "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find Gemmy soon. Someone here has to have seen her." Spot gave Diem a look that might have said she didn't care what they did as long as she was allowed to rest soon.

They were in the spot Diem had met Gemmy long ago, near enough to a group of stalls selling goods to have a sizable amount of people yet far enough away from it so as to not cause an issue for the stall keepers. He hoped that perhaps she might have been here hanging around, but the hope quickly faded as Diem realized she was no where in sight. Diem brushed Spots nose. "Come on. Lets ask around and see if anyone's seen her." He moved up to the nearest stall, one that had something on it that looked like a fruit, and looked to the person tending to it. Still holding on to the lead for Spot in one hand Diem raised his free hand in greeting and with a smile began talking. "Good afternoon sir. I was hoping you might be able to help me a friend of mine. She appears to be on the younger side, with red hair and perhaps a simple dress. She introduces herself with the name Gemmy?"
Diem
Carpe Diem

Words: 28676
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on May 14th, 2010, 11:21 pm

The man at the fruit stand scowled at first at Diem. Due to his evangelical fervor upon first arriving in town, Diem had something of a reputation around Sunberth -- though word had also gotten around of the pair of thieves he had soundly beaten.

However, his face brightened somewhat at Gemmy's name. The girl seemed to know everyone in Sunberth -- and, what was decidedly odd, if she had any enemies, they certainly kept a low profile. (Or were dead, possibly, but that was only one theory.) At any rate, though the girl's taste in friends was often baffling, it also seemed to be respected.

"She was here this morning," the man said. "Eh, Steve!" he shouted at another vendor across the way. "You seen Gemmy?"

"On 'er way t' the good well," Steve replied. "Oughter be back 'round now."

The fruit cart man was about to say something else, but he was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"If'n I didn't know better, I'd done think someone was talking about me."

And, sure enough, there was Gemmy, trundling a large bucket of water up the road. At first glance, it seemed to be far too big for her to carry, but she handled it with the appearance of ease. Her hair was half-pulled back in the same careless style as before, and only the fact that this dress was a faded red served to separate it from the one she had been wearing when last Diem had seen her.

"J.G!" She called Diem by the abbreviated version of the nickname she had pasted on him at their first meeting. "Well, if'n you ain't still alive! By Viritas, I guess my lessons ain't been wasted after all. How's everything and more?"

She was close by this time, and she set her bucket on the ground and then slapped Diem heartily on the back. The other vendors, satisfied that Gemmy knew why Diem was looking for her, went back to their business as if nothing had happened.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Diem on May 15th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Diem didn't miss the scowl the man first gave him and had a guess as to what it pertained to. He didn't exactly have a good reputation due to his performace on his first day in town. Some thought him crazy and a do gooder who should mind his own business. Thankfully it seemed he saved himself a lot of trouble by naming Gemmy. After a few moments of the man at the fruit stand conversing with another vendor across the way a familiar voice rang out, interrupting the conversation.

Diem smiled at Gemmy's arrival and subsequent pat on the back. How she had managed to carry such a large object so quickly was beyond him, but Diem didn't understand a lot of things about the girl. "I am doing well, largely due to the assistance you rendered me. In fact, only one person has tried to mug me since spring began, that's half the amount as last season. I even managed to convince the malnourished thief to learn how to fish so he would not have to resort to thievery for food. My gut says he still steals, but now its for recreation which I suppose is an improvement, though not one I like to think on." Diem stopped and laughed. "My apologies it seems I'm rambling. And how are you Gemmy?"

Diem smiled and waited for the response, and whatever might follow before speaking again. "I was curious Gemmy, would you be willing to assist me once more? I have found that without practice my skill's in self defense might begin to fade, and it is not everyday that I am mugged, so I was hoping to find a place where I could spar against others."
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on May 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm

"Well, once is better'n more than that, for sure," Gemmy agreed cheerfully. "Though if'n I've heard right, you ain't had too much trouble dealing with the ones as what's decided to tangle with you. Apparently, you dispense justice well'n as talking about it." A huge smile crossed her face.

"As for me, I've been busy. Ain't been in town much actually -- feels as if'n I've been halfway around Sylira. But I'm back for a little while anyway, and Viritas strike me if'n it's not a good feeling." Precious few people would feel that way about returning to Sunberth, but moving through the city's poisoned atmosphere seemed as natual to the girl as breathing.

"But if'n it's sparring you want, it's best to ask around, so I'm glad as what you've found me," she added with a grin. "You could always try Tall Johnny's and sign yourself up for one of the cage matches as what ain't scheduled to be fought to the death. Depends on how lucky you're feeling, I guess, but you seem to be the lucky type, J.G."

Now, a more mischievous smile slunk across her face. "Or, if'n you think you're up for it, you could try sparring me. I think I might at least be able to give you a fair fight, and I'm at the very least in the top ten people in Sunberth as what ain't likely to stab you when you turn around."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Diem on May 23rd, 2010, 10:27 pm

Diem raised his hands and smiled sheepishly. "I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with fighting one so young, and I doubt I'd be much of a match for you. I'm glad your well, there's definitely no place like home."

Diem lowered his hands and grabbed onto Spot's ropes. He turned to the man at the stall and offered him a bow of his head and a thank you, then moved to Gemmy. "That first part sounds interesting though. I've heard of tall Johnny. He sounds like a nice man. I've never been to his place though, would you be willing to show me?"

Diem pulled on spots reigns gently. The horse gave a snort and assented to his lead. The young man began to wonder what kind of place Tall Johnny's was. The few rumors he had heard of the man himself seemed to be all pleasant, a person Diem might actually have common interest in. But why then would he be running such a dangerous business as cage match. From what Gemmy said it sounded like even the non-lethal fights sometimes ended in blood. She sounded confident in Diem's luck, but the bald young man knew better then to trust anything to luck. "It seems a bit odd to me that someone who sounds as pleasant as Tall Johnny does would be in such a violent business. Did I simply misunderstand the rumors?"
Secret :
Sorry the posts are so short. hope I'll be able to right a bit better soon enough.
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on May 31st, 2010, 11:49 pm

She laughed broadly, seeming to find some of Diem's statement funny. "If'n you're afraid of hurting me, I do believe your fears might be mis-placed, if'n you know what I mean. But if'n you ain't inclined to lose to a girl, I can understand that." One green eye winked at him.

"I ain't sure that's the right description. Johnny's civil, as civil as anyone in a hundred miles, but I ain't thinking I'd call him 'nice,' or even 'pleasant.' But he ain't cheating on his games, which is why ain't no one as what complains, and why he does such good business. Violence is natural to most folks in Sunberth as breathing in or knocking back a whiskey, and we ain't got quite the aversion to what some might call blood sport if'n they were so inclined. Least when you're in the cage, you know what's coming -- ain't always true in an alley at night."

Again, she chuckled. "Anyways, if'n the cage is where you'd like to learn a few lessons, I ain't averse to arranging it. I'll tell Johnny you're a personal friend, J.G., and we'll see if'n we can't get you out at least in two or three pieces, if'n we can't arrange for you to be all in one." Her own morbid joke nearly broke her composure completely.

"So, J.G., whaddaya say?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Diem on June 1st, 2010, 12:25 am

"Two to three pieces huh? Sounds like quite a mess. I guess I should be happy I won't be around to clean such a thing up. I'm in." The Diem of old, the one that had come to Sunberth in the winter, would have been disturbed by the dark humor Gemmy spoke. It seemed however that Sunberth had a way of changing people. Diem worried some of the change might not be for the better. He was at least able to speak with the other residents because of the change, or at least he thought he was.

Diem gestured for Gemmy to lead the way the way with a smile and a thanks. Spot snorted, perhaps expressing her dislike of being last or perhaps because she had allergies. Diem wasn't sure at this point.

Despite his preference to non violence to solve problems, the young man had grown to like fighting in a sense of sport or form of exercise. There was something exhilarating about testing ones metal against another. It reminded Diem of the stories his mother told him about his father. A simple man to be sure, one who would probably remain in the lower ranks of the Syliran knights for his whole life and love every minute of it. His mother had said his father had a special smile he only brought out on two kinds of occasions. Time he spent with his family and time he spent fighting. It wasn't the violence that brought the smile out, no joy of inflicting pain was felt by either Diem or his father. It was something deeper, less about a conscious thought and more of a instinctual enjoyment of fighting. Instead of turning away from this part of him, the old man who had taken Diem in Zeltiva had encouraged Dem to relish in it.

Diem moved to follow Gemmy, hoping that Tall Johnny would be civil, and the opponent Diem was faced off with would as well. His old self would hoped this would be the case, but his new self also prepared himself for it to be the opposite. Sunberth, after all, has a way of changing people.
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on June 4th, 2010, 4:26 pm

"Right then, J.G." She turned and started skipping -- yes, skipping -- off in the proper direction.

Tall Johnny's was something of a Sunberth landmark, and Diem would probably have seen at least the outside of it several times before. It was a well-kept building with a brick exterior, and a pair of double doors that were flanked by a pair of unsmiling Akalak. There was no charge to enter the building, but their job was to ensure that no one got out of hand.

Inside it was dark, smoky, noisy, and crowded. The right-hand side of the building held the games. There were cards, dice, and a game that involved pouring marbles of various colors into a basin marked with numbers. Muscular men and scantily-clad women smiled and ran the games, while waiters ran back and forth bringing drinks to the gamers.

The entire left side of the building was taken up by a sort of arena. The floor area was a square perhaps fifteen feet on each side, surfaced with hard-packed dirt. It was set below the level of the building, and completely surrounded with a metal fence that was ten feet high. This "cage" was in turn surrounded by rows of ampitheatre-style seating, so that the spectators could look down at the action.

At one of the card games, a tall, well-dressed man was talking to a pair of gamblers. Gemmy approached him and called out, "Johnny!"

The man turned, and a polite smile crossed his lips. "Hello, Gemmy."

"Johnny, I'd like you to meet my friend J.G. He's an amateur fighter, and if'n it ain't a problem with you, he'd like to try his hand in the cage." In an exaggerated stage whisper, she added, "And I need him back when you're done with him, so if'n you could try not to damage him too much, I'd be much obliged."

Johnny winked at her, and then extended his hand to Diem. "A pleasure to meet you, J.G.," he said, apparently unaware that Gemmy had given him the girl's peculiar nickname for Diem, rather than his proper name. "Can you tell me something of your experience, and your preference in weapons?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Diem on June 4th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Diem couldn't help but smile as Gemmy gave Tall Johnny her nickname for the bald young man. It was bad enough that she called him that, he really hope it didn't stick. As Tall Johnny extended his hands Diem's hopes were dashed. The young man took the hand with his own right hand. the mark on his right hand was easily visible now, a small vortex of light, but as with the other plainer marks on his body Diem paid no attention to it physically. He need not physically see it to be comforted by it. Diem studied the man for a moment, using the handshake as a pretense to look get a closer look at the man. Diem knew to look for a few things, multiple exposed scars, jewelry, and anything really distinguishing that might tell him a bit more about the person he was meeting. Just cause he knew to look for him though doesn't meant that he would find them, recognize them as significant if he did see them, or understand what they mean if he did recognize them. It was usually better to give it a try though, being vigilante was important after all.

"It's Diem actually. J.G. is something Gemmy came up with." Diem withdrew his hand, as well as his gaze, and thought for a moment.

"Experience? I don't have much in the way. When I need money I usually offer my services to caravan's as a guard. There was a thief or two in the town, but they looked a bit to hungry to be considered." Wearing a more restrained smile then the one he had when he had entered the building, it seemed to be the young man's only expression, he continued. "I don't like to use weapons. If I need to defend myself I'm just fine the way I am now. It makes for a more enjoyable sparring match to."

Fighting unarmed against an armed enemy was usually considered suicidal by most. The few who knew the true devastation a well placed kick or punch knew better then to make such assumptions. Granted the monkish fellow wasn't at the point where he could guarantee such strikes and get the desired affect, but that was the point in seeking out someone to spar against.
Diem
Carpe Diem

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on June 14th, 2010, 11:08 am

Johnny glanced curiously at Gemmy, who gave a huge smile and a small shrug. Then he turned his attention back to Diem.

"All right then, it sounds like we can strike an equitable agreement. If you're prepared, there's an opening this evening before the main fight. Man by the name of Jeffrey Forssquir, from Lisnar, a knife fighter, won two and lost three here at the Casino. The fight is either three rounds or until one of you submits. If you win, you'll receive a 20-miza purse; if not, you'll be all the better for the experience."

Gemmy seemed nonplussed by the offer, so it probably wasn't one likely to end in Diem's death. "How does that sound to you?" Johnny asked Diem.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris