Copyright in Mizahar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Copyright in Mizahar

Postby Eridanus on October 1st, 2012, 4:53 am

OK, this isn't exactly about copyright in the real-life legal sense, but I couldn't really think of another word to describe what I wanted to discuss, so this is what I used as a close substitute.

The question here is, are there any IC rules or OOC mechanics to prevent duplication and associated/relevant practices? If so, what and how?

Let me give a few examples which are by no means exhaustive:

1. A PC creates an organization (say, a traveling circus) featuring specific attributes. Can another PC elsewhere do the same and copy the idea whole-sale? What if there is slight changes to the idea? Or if the original is NPC while the 'copyer' is PC (such as creating a PC organization similar to the Mortanis), or the opposite (creating an NPC version of the Order of Transcendence). It could apply not just to organizations, but organization concepts (such as that of the KRI) or unique business styles (such as Kavala's Sanctuary).
  2. If a PC researches magic and does something not covered in the wiki (but of course, with Tarot's approval). Examples include inventing alchemical chargers or new summoning circle designs. Can other PCs with similar skills say "Oh my PC came up with the same conclusion as you and figured this out independently as well"? What if it's not just magic and say refers to gadgeteering? Can another player copy and steal such innovations ICiy (say, they claim to reverse-engineer the product in-thread) or OOC (the "my pc figured it out on his own" excuse)? The categories in this case is rather broad as it could range from just new recipes for making soulmist, to actually new techniques to making soulmist in spiritism. Or from using a unique combination of magic in an imaginative hybrid style (in this case, such as making mixing animation, spiritism and gadgeteering to create a soul-mist dispenser machine (I had that idea approved by Tarot already FYI), for example) to creating new alchemical chargers. Or from new forms of sentience in animation to new materials in alchemy. The list is endless.

For those who are discussing the above points, let me know your viewpoints and respective arguments. If answers are being given (by a definite authority like founders), could I know the rationale for both answers (yes or no), and the relevant IC or OOC rules applicable that resulted in the answer given.

... I can't think of any more at the moment, but I'll add more when I think of them and if the issue has not been resolved by then.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Copyright in Mizahar

Postby Gossamer on October 1st, 2012, 5:50 am

Hello!

I'll try to address this without getting too much into the nitty gritty. I can see where you are coming from on these things, but there's other perspectives out there as well. In fact, Tarot and I were just speaking on this very topic today. I won't go into great detail because the conversation really wasn't for public consumption but here's the gist...

We have had, and in many ways still continue to have, high hopes for original PC organizations that are PC driven and PC funded. But we see a lot of PC's pool resources, get all gung ho, and then the organization dies. We mean things that really stand out, not just generic circus' or mage guild organizations. You can pretty much pick any book series out there especially those inspired by or having inspired tabletop games and you'll have a mage guild. It's very hard to get unique with them. It's very hard to be unique with circus'. It's realistic, in most groups - guilds or otherwise - to see some overlap in organizations.

If you take an example like The Sanctuary that Kavala (aka me) has created in game, its an organization of healers that are fronting an underground group of Dreamwalkers called the Cytali that are in essence mining the chavi for lost knowledge in a way that most people can't. Is it original? Not really. People organize healing clinics all over. They are in demand. People breed unique animals all over. Would I be mad if someone else opened a similar thing elsewhere? Not at all. It makes sense that there would be some. Would I get upset if it was a front for an underground group of something weird? It depends.

Here's the thing. People understand who did what first. If I harbored any sort of resentment on say the creation of unique things, there'd be things all over the game I'd hate. I was the first one to design box codes, and it thrills me that everyone wants them and makes them now. Our site looks awesome because of it. Do I take credit? No. I give all the credit to Tarot where it belongs because he enabled and paved the way for it to happen.

Everyone dismissed Earth Reimancy before I started using it heavily with a PC to carve out a fortress in sheer rock. Now everyone and their dog has it. I'm glad they do. It was a long overlooked aspect in favor of flashy fire reimancy. And truth be told Abashai used it before I did in those early days to shape his cave more comfortably.

It just takes one PC to make something popular. Frankly, Mizahar is huge and there's room for more than one of a thing in the game. If its blatantly copied, people will know. What if someone copies something you do and makes it better? Phoenix makes far better box codes than I do. I don't care though. I'm sure someone will have a far better healing clinic than my pc does... good for them!

Now, when your talking magical techniques, here's how I feel about that. I believe that in the past, we were hellishly advanced in magic. I believe the world forgot more about magic than we'll ever remaster. Glyphing used to be taught along side the ABCs to young wizards, but now its considered rare and unique and people are in awe of it. If you create a magical technique or a magecrafted item... the blood compass comes to mind... I feel like its probably been done before in the past. I feel like if your PC has had the chance to discover the technique someone else will have that same opportunity.

But its writer beware. If its blatant people will know that and I feel like as a writer that is taking a risk that you'll be thought of as a plagiarist. It is far more suitable to be original. But there's nothing to say that the same technique can't be used by different mages. Some things naturally go together.

It's like being a storyteller, in many ways. You can lecture and beg and try to get a DS or AS to log on and be active. But the truth is if they aren't, people know and understand this... people aren't stupid. They know if you are a PISS POOR ST. You can't fool them with excuses. It is what it is. They also know if you are blatantly copying someone else's work.

Crazy pcs are a dime a dozen these days. People love playing them. But you know what? I hardly ever approve gnosis marks for crazy people. Nor do I allow people to say participate in my organizations (say The Shroud) if I see they have blatantly taken a name - say Shroud - from something I'm already using in anticipation of being part of something I have going on. There are no coincidences. You know that. I know that. It is what it is.

So there you have it. That's my feeling on things. But then again my feelings might not be another Founder's feelings and everything must be taken on a case by case basis. I know for a fact Gillar would be pissed if someone borrowed strongly from Mortanis to create a mortanis organization. But hes not going to get mad OOC about it. He's just going to hunt them down with his Mortanis and kill them for being imposters. That's the way us Founders usually roll.

So... copy-written? Territoriality? First come first serve? Sometimes. Not always, and never with magic in my book. Organizations are a bit different and the question needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. However, if you have specific concerns, address the help desk initially, but only after trying to talk to the someone you think is plagiarizing you directly. We can work out a lot of issues in that media before it ever goes public.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Copyright in Mizahar

Postby Eridanus on October 17th, 2012, 6:04 am

Thank you Gossamer for the comprehensive answer.

As for a context to why I asked this question, I was actually in this class where the professor was talking about intellectual property and related issues such as copyrights and patents. At that time, Rayage was also telling me about some unique chargers that he was coming up with, when it struck me: "There is nothing stopping another Alchemist with similar levels to simply steal Rayage's idea without the need for innovation." I then began thinking earnestly about this issue, and so expanded it to include the stuff I mentioned in my question.

I suppose that this case-by-case and negotiation style method would work in Mizahar due to our small population, compared to IRL (where you need laws like copyright and patents to deal with the billions+ population on earth). If there are any issues in the future I will resort to your recommended course of action.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer in such a detailed manner; I fully appreciate it :)
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)