[Blood Pits]Mortal Combat (Rayage)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Jester on February 19th, 2013, 1:38 am

Moderator Intervention

Greetings

I'm throwing up a moderator intervention on this thread because I have issue with we'll say 1 and 1/2 things :P The first and main thing is your use of hypnotism. The Blood Pits are large enough that you guys would have to be affecting these two peoples' thoughts over a pretty big distance. Ray, I think there is zero chance you'd be the slightest bit successful at having any effect whatsoever at your skill level. Iggy, while I think you might have a slight chance at your skill level, I find it unrealistic based on hypnotism lore both how you did it and the magnitude of the effect.

The way I understand it, hypnotism is not meant to be like the other magics, its basically psychology with increased magnitude through djed, and the magnitude of increase is strongly based on how much contact you have with your victim. For instance, if you wanted to instill confidence in one of them, you have to instill some sort of confidence in him before magnifying the effect by djed. It doesn't just "appear" as if by magic (even though this is magic :) ). For instance, maybe smiling encouragingly at him and then magnifying that confidence boost by channelling djed into the smile. Brief eye contact as they scan a crowd is not going to manage that. He probably wouldn't have even known you were there, you're just a face in a crowd. You have to have their attention in some way to even begin to work on hypnotizing them. A more realistic way I could imagine you influencing the fight would be by perhaps using one of your mizas to reflect light into a contestants eyes in a noticeable way or in an odd pattern (assuming you're on the upper row of the Blood Pits, which are outside, this shouldn't be hard). While doing so, you could infuse the miza with hypno-djed to make said flashes more distracting and obnoxious to the contestant. Unless Iggy has used such methods before, I'd be quite interested to see him experimenting and trying to channel the djed through something not a part of him (as most hypnotists use body parts). Seeing him fail a few times before succeeding would strike me as quite realistic and I'd be happy to give a good few points of hypnotism for the experimentation. It may not work as well as infusing your voice as its outside the body, but I see no reason why djed used in such a way would not work to some degree to increase the influence of something in your hand instead of in your voice or gaze. There are plenty of ways to make this work to some degree at your skill level Iggy, that's merely one suggestion and I encourage you to investigate and delve headfirst into your skill to work out a crazy new way of doing it. Surprise me!

And Ray, I'm not saying you're completely out of luck on getting hypnotism points this thread. You're welcome to try, but unless you come up with a novel way of getting your power across at your level that I'm not thinking of, you're going to fail. Failure provides valuable experience too. You are also welcome to try for points by thinking and working out how Iggy is potentially succeeding somewhat where you aren't.

The second half-thing isn't nearly as big of an issue, and wouldn't require an intervention on its own. And I see it as possible I misunderstood what you were saying and you had it right to begin with, so let me just clarify and you can change it if you think its necessary. Nuit reputation in Sunberth. By and large I don't feel it's nearly as dangerous as Ray was making it sound. Sunberth is very disorganized and decentralized, there is no single prevailing view on nuits. Some factions (traders that have Sahova on their shipping routes would be an example) may love them, others may hate them. And any nuit walking around in a known Sunberthian body is sure to be lynched. But if the city as a whole had that much of an issue with nuits, the traders selling bodies to Sahova would have long ago been razed and lynched by the Mob. Therefore I think it's reasonable to say that day-to-day, nuit-ness is not a death threat in Sunberth (unless you are speaking to a member of one of those hating factions. I can't really think of a good one off the top of my head but I'm sure they exist). Nuits ARE treated with mistrust, but they aren't actively purged from the city generally. That, of course, is all OOC information and I have no issue if you'd like to RP Ray as being overly cautious or paranoid, in which case feel free to leave it as is.

Thanks for reading my wall of text!
~Jester

"The difference between a jester and a fool is that the jester knows he's a jester"

DISCLAIMER: If you think I have been foolish in grading your thread, don't hesitate to PM me. I am happy to take another look at anything you feel is in error, but keep in mind the other Storytellers and I have final say.

Created by the Wonderful, the Fabulous, the Mysterious, Coltyn!
Jester
Grade Monkey

Words: 19637
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 3:19 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Jester on March 6th, 2013, 6:12 am

Thread Graded!!

Iggy :
XP Awarded
  • +4 Gambling
  • +2 Tactics
  • +1 Hypnotism
  • +2 Socialization
  • +2 Rhetoric

Lores Awarded
  • Sunberth: Magic Synonymous with Lynch Mob
  • A Silver for the Soul-less
  • Rayage: Not a Man of Chance
  • Blood, Sweat, and Life
  • 60% is Still Favorable

Other Notes
  • net of +9SM (-1SM original bet, +10SM winnings)

Rayage :
XP Awarded
  • +1 Planning
  • +3 Intimidation
  • +3 Rhetoric
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Philosophy

Lores Awarded
  • Force of Change Brings Risk to the Unsuspecting
  • Ignotus: One Who Gambles Loosely
  • Alchemy Can Advance One's Soul
  • Only Fools Relax
  • Adding Our Own Flare
  • Just a Bet

Other Notes
  • net of -5SM (-5SM initial bet, lost)
  • Item Obtained!
    Broken Tooth- A broken tooth, presumably from one of the fighters. You have absolutely no idea how it ended up in your pocket

Notes :
  • Excellent thread, I liked the idea behind it and the quality writing that went into it. I still find it a bit shaky on just how realistic to lore it is, but it's not as far off as it was and the rest retains reasonable doubt in my head that it's possible.
  • Congrats guys!

"The difference between a jester and a fool is that the jester knows he's a jester"

DISCLAIMER: If you think I have been foolish in grading your thread, don't hesitate to PM me. I am happy to take another look at anything you feel is in error, but keep in mind the other Storytellers and I have final say.

Created by the Wonderful, the Fabulous, the Mysterious, Coltyn!
Jester
Grade Monkey

Words: 19637
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 3:19 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous