Closed Détente

Ronan and Vanator meet again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Détente

Postby Ronan on October 18th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Timestamp: 13th of Autumn

Ronan was glad to be back in Sanctuary, if only for a little while. After their arrival yesterday, everyone had gone off to do their own things. Ronan would need to help Sama'el check on the state of the Web at some point, but for now they had a little free time.

He got up early enough, woken by sunlight filtering in through the crevices of rock. Light always found a way to get where it wanted. He rose, stretched, and quickly pulled on some clothes for the day. He was grateful that Kavala allowed them to come and go as they pleased - he truly was - and yet he couldn't help but feel things weren't the same between them anymore. He couldn't spend time worrying about it, he really couldn't.

Leaving his chambers, he began to traverse the corridors of the rebuilt stone structure. And what a job Kavala and the others had done. Walls lined with gemstones. Cavernous rooms that were both inviting and fragrant. Everything was pleasing to his eyes.

Rounding a corner, he froze. A marionette, with strings severed. Now... he recognised this man. It had been a long time ago now, but there was no mistaking Vanator Denusk. No mistaking at all.
Last edited by Ronan on October 18th, 2012, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Détente

Postby Vanator on October 18th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Vanator had risen early. Now that he was no longer condemned to dwell within the confines of a Zith colony, the drykas took every opportunity to greet Syna as she rose. Snatching up two buckets from the Within's kitchen area, Van made his way to the main cave shelter and its portal to the beach. For a long time he stood in the rocky opening, inhaling the brisk, salty air. The rising sun, concealed behind the cliff above, had already spread its rays on the waves before him. The ocean always brought serenity to the man's soul. When he had his fill, Vanator moved to the fresh water spring inside the cave and filled the buckets. He was still recovering physically from his enslavement and emotionally from the plight of his family, but he had sworn to Kavaka that he woukd carry his weight at Sanctuary. Even if it were to simply fetch water.

Setting the buckets on a table in the kitchen, Van found a cup and scooped himself out a drink of water. Satisfied, he picked a pear from a fruit bow nearby and headed back into the hallway to his room. Just as Vanantor wondered where everyone else was, someone turned the corner. It was not anyone he had yet met...at least at Sanctuary.

The dim light was sufficient to illuminate the familiar features. Vanator paused in his tracks, a flinch of tightness passed through his gut. One fist curled into a ball at his side, the other turned the pear over and over in his hand. Vanator was unsure if he was outraged to see the younger dyrkas, or pleased. He was certainly surprised.

"Windsong." He spoke in Pavi, casually, but with a cautious sobriety. "What brings you...here?"
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Détente

Postby Ronan on October 18th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Ronan watched Vanator uneasily. He didn't look so different from the last time they had crossed paths, though perhaps they were both a little more world-weary. Weathered by the passage of time.

"It's Sunsinger now..." Ronan said carefully, before nodding in greeting.

What brings you here?

He froze, wondering if he should mention Kavala and himself, or simply keep to the Watch explanation. Ronan knew what Van was capable of. He was an Ankal after all. The years had only made him stronger.

"I am here on Watch duty, with my brother Sama'el." He turned away, unsure, before finally meeting the Denusk's eyes. "I... I wasn't aware you were here. I thought you were in Endrykas. You see, I know Kavala."

He didn't say anymore. He didn't need to. Vanator's balled fist seemed to relinquish its rage. At least he wasn't about to be hit this time round. At least, he hoped so. It was painfully evident that Kavala had said nothing of him to her brother.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Détente

Postby Vanator on October 18th, 2012, 8:07 pm

"Sunsinger? Huh, not familiar with them. But I have been... away for a while."

Vanator turned back towards the common room, his previously clenched fist now open and waving for Ronan to follow him. Regardless of who he was and what he had done, he was the first drykas he had seen since arriving, and he was anxious to hear any news. He wanted to grab the man by the shoulders and demand he tell him anything he knew about the Denusks. But his pride demanded he maintain control of the encounter.

"I am here on Watch duty, with my brother Sama'el."

Vanator paused a moment, looking back over his shoulder. "Sama'el? He is a Sunsinger as well?" He knew Sam'ael. He would have to track him down as well. "And you both are Watch now? Congratulations." There was a sincerity in his tone, a glimmer is his dark, gold-flecked eyes. Still, he was standoffish. Vanator continued into the large common room, assuming Ronan was following.

"I know Kavala."

Vanator stopped again, turning to face Ronan. "Do you? I guess I can assume that you do, since you are in the bowels of her home." Vanator did not like the way the Sunsinger had said it, as if there was a weightier meaning behind it. Van's suspicion was ignited again, the advances Ronan had made towards his wife not forgotten. Khiara was gone...and he was here. It did not sit well with the older drykas.

Van stepped over to a couch, folding his arms across his chest and leaning against its arm.

"Why don't you tell me how you know my sister?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Détente

Postby Ronan on October 18th, 2012, 8:31 pm

"The Pavilion is young..." Ronan replied enigmatically. Vanator would not have heard of them. Not yet.

The man finally softened a little more, and turned, beckoning for Ronan to follow him into the common room area. He was unsure for a moment. But it was unlikely Vanator would strike him or start a fight here in her home. He followed, albeit with caution.

As they walked, he congratulated Ronan. He wasn't surprised that the man knew Sama'el. Sam knew Kavala, and so there were connections here, there, and everywhere. It truly was a small world really.

"Thank you," he said, as was due. He neglected to mention he was merely an apprentice, but he felt like that was something Vanator needn't know.

He turned suddenly, and his tone changed to something harsher. More inquisitive. He should never have mentioned Kavala, he thought, before chastising himself mentally. She was nothing to be ashamed of. And what were they really? Two confused souls trying to find their way.

Vanator positioned himself and folded his arms, asking of their acquaintance. Ronan stopped walking, still where he stood. The man had an imposing presence, that much was true. Those eyes. He remembered Bolden. The young man had been angered by the mention of his father. But Ronan had uncovered the truth. It was funny how much he knew about Vanator - and how little he knew of Ronan.

"I... we're friends. We've known each other a few seasons now, since we helped Sama'el with a quest in Avanthal."

He sighed. It was time to be honest. He couldn't control Vanator's reaction, what would be would be. But he had his dagger all the same.

"More than friends. Perhaps. Perchance. I'm not sure. What of it?"

He knew his words were inflammatory. He knew, and yet still they came from his mouth.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Détente

Postby Vanator on October 19th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Of course, Vanator knew the truth, knew it all, or at least what Kavala knew. His sister had confided in him all that had gone on in the time the siblings were apart, including what had gone on with Ronan, just as Van had made all his confessions to her. But Van felt a twinge of guilt for tormenting the poor young drykas. Maybe he had not totally forgiven him for kissing his wife, though the Denusk truly believed the man did not know Khiara was married. Maybe it was because he knew how much Kavala loved Ronan, and he could not stop being the amazing konti's big brother.

"More than friends. Perhaps. Perchance. I'm not sure. What of it?"

Van stood, straightening his spine and dropping his arms. The gold flecks in his brown eyes seemed to flash as a scowl darkened his face. Fists clenched at his sides. The Denusk glared at Ronan for a long moment, huffing like a zibri bull. He took two steps towards the Sunsinger.

"Why you insolent little bastard..."

Vanator could not finish the sentence, because he burst into laughter. "About time you showed some drykas spine man! Now we are even. I have to say it is a bit irritating to find you keep kissing members of my family."

The harsh features softened, as did the older man's tone. "These are hard times for our people, Ronan. There is no place for grudges." Vanator extended his hand towards the other in a gesture of reconciliation. "But keep in mind, as much as I love my people, I love her more. She is all I have left." There was a quiet sobriety in his statement. This time it was not as much a threat as it was a need for understanding.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Détente

Postby Ronan on October 20th, 2012, 9:09 am

Ronan stood barefaced, resisting a flinch as Vanator stiffened and moved towards him. He had spoke out of turn. Even he knew that.

After cursing him, it came as a surprise when Vanator burst into laughter. His joke garnered a smile from Ronan. He couldn't help it. The situation was laughable indeed.

He straightened as the Ankal took on a more serious tone. Ronan found himself agreeing, despite everything. "Hard times indeed. The Web lies in ruin." His words were grave. He had had little time to face these things, but the truth of it was, the lifeblood of the Dryka people grew weak.

He pondered, but only for an instant, before taking Vanator's hand and shaking it firmly. When he spoke of his sister, Ronan met his eyes, showing there was only truth there. Truth and integrity.

"I will not hurt her," he said, "I couldn't. Not her. Not Kavala."

And he wouldn't. Now now, not ever. Yet, still, he did not understand the nature of their relationship. One would give, and yet the other would not take. So many knots. So many blasted knots.

"You know. Sam and I will be returning to Endrykas in a couple of days. I wonder... are you just visiting?" He looked at the man again, considering him. Did the tent city hold only bad memories for him? "You could come - if you wish to return. There is a lot to be done there, and out on the grasses. There is danger everywhere. Cyphrus is not safe for our people."
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Détente

Postby Vanator on October 20th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Vanator studied the drykas. He saw sincerity in the set of Ronan's features, sobriety in his green gaze. This was not the man who fumbled to apologize for kissing another man's wife all those seasons ago. He could see Windsong... Sunsinger, was serious, about reviving the Drykas, and about his feelings for Kavala. But he knew how the affairs of the heart went, how easy it was to hurt another without wanting to. Personal experience.

"You could come - if you wish to return."

Vanator sighed, taking several steps away. He groaned slightly, the wounds of the zith battle still healing, taxed by carrying the water buckets. Return to Endrykas. Van had long ago believed he would never see his people again, never set foot in Endrykas. He had wanted to more than anything. When Kavala told him how the Storm had decimated the herds and the pavilions, how his own was never seen again, Vanator felt as if he needed to return. But he had learned much in the past several days, about Kavala and the work at Sanctuary, overt and covert.

"You and Sam, you are of the Watch, your duty is to protect Endrykas, help our people. I am...."
Van paused, realizing the truth of what he was about to say, "I am an Ankal. My duty is to protect and care for my pavilion. Now, Kavala is my pavilion. I am going to stay here."

He returned to Ronan's side, his hand resting on the younger Drykas' shoulder. "But I will lift you up to Semele, for safety across the grass and success in rebuilding the Web."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Détente

Postby Ronan on October 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Ronan nodded at Vanator's words. Truly, they made sense. And his next thought vocalised, knowing the Ankal would want to hear his words.

"I understand. And it pleases me - truly, it does. You are a stronger man than I. There is no other I would be happy to leave Kavala with." He found himself laughing at the futility of his words. "You know, I talk as if Kavala needs a keeper. She doesn't deserve that. She needs no keeper. The truth of it is, she looks after us all when we need it doesn't she?"

He smiled. His perceptions of Vanator had changed in the blink of an eye. Something had happened to the man - something that had tired him, and changed him. A frozen heart was now worn on his sleeve. But then perhaps it always had been... Ronan could hardly blame the man for his anger. Ronan had kissed his wife - not that he had known the fact...

The hand rested on his shoulder, and he glanced at it, then back at Vanator. A companionable glance. He remained steadfast, nodding his head with conviction. It was always nice to meet other Drykas. The storm had been deadly in Endrykas. Deadly indeed. Ronan remembered it, but he had been far north, holed up near Avanthal in the frigid cold. The frozen city had thawed, quite literally.

When Vanator mentioned Semele, Ronan couldn't help but smile. He lifted the hand that bore the dreamstone, showing the man the rock that lived within his flesh. The mark of Semele.

"I already have her watching over me. But I appreciate the sentiment all the same."

The marked of Semele were few and far between. He had never met another. He wondered how Vanator would feel. More than anything, the rock disturbed people. How unnatural to have the earth upon one's person - people exclaimed - but to Ronan, it was the most natural thing in all of Mizahar.

"I wish I could be here with your sister on a more permanent basis... but fate pulls me. And we both know the importance of the Watch in this time. I feel like I mess with her. Like neither of us know where we stand. But by the Gods I promise that is not my intention."

He smiled wanly, dipping his head.

"Duty," he said simply, "it binds us all."
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Détente

Postby Vanator on October 22nd, 2012, 4:05 pm

Vanator lowered his hand, walking over to the hearth. He picked up an iron poker and idly prodded the burning embers of the last evening's fire. Ronan had shown him the mark he bore from Semele. To bear the mark of the goddess spoke volumes of a Drykas' integrity, and demanded a measure of respect.

"No, Kavala needs no keeper." Vanator's gaze remained on the glowing coals. "But she is not an island. True, she does look after all of us, because that is in her nature. She is a lot like her mother. But that does not mean she does not desire to be cared for, that she does not need someone to look up to. That is true for all of us."

The Denusk's gaze lifted again to the younger Drykas. It was not his intention to interfere with the relationship between his sister and Ronan. "You are both adults, you have duties, and you have the desires of your heart. You both must do what you must. Only, do not...mess with her...as you put it. Be honest and forward with your heart and intentions. Otherwise, you will bear great regret."

Van's eyes drifted again to the sparks he kicked up with the fire poker. All too well Vanator knew what happened when you toyed with someone's heart, or several someone's. Putting aside the poker, the older Drykas turned back to the Sunsinger. "Things are settled between us Ronan. Now get yourself something to eat, before the rest of them assault the pantry." He gave the man a smile.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next