Flashback the mage who cried wolf.

Evalin; Two eminemt professors meet amidst the politics and intrigue in the University of Zeltiva.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Arcane on October 19th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Day 50, Fall of 406 AV
Mid Morning
Jack Mentrim's Office, East Wing, University of Zeltiva

Sounds of scribbling could be heard as a middle-aged man drew various formula on a blackboard with a piece of chalk. The room was larger than a usual professor's office, subtly showing the status and reputation of this particular man in the ranks of the University staff. It was right in the depths of the maze-like corridors that were the Staff Offices, and he was in the heart of the cluster of offices that belonged to the Magic Department. The entire office was ridiculously messy, the only free space between the door and the desk. Interestingly, the desk was pushed very closely to the door, where a chair for visitors to sit was placed just beyond the reach of the door when opened.

Behind the desk would logically be plenty of space, though it was cluttered with a variety of instruments and unfinished products. It seemed that there was some sort of mini-laboratory set-up as well, if one were to notice the variety of glyphs drawn around the room. Each wall had full-length blackboards attached to them, though most of them were already scribbled with all kinds of diagrams and symbols that only the professor himself can understand.

That man was Jack Mentrim, a senior professor of Magecraft in the University of Zeltiva. One year shy of the big Four Zero, he accepted employment at 21 after he graduated from Magecrafting. While as a student he learned under the legendary Gregory Godek and even participated in Godek's groundbreaking experiments that made their results known in several known axioms in the University's understanding of theoretical magic in general. That was probably Mentrim's true debut which resulted in him getting scouted right after he graduated.

Indeed, the two famous books by Godek and his research team could be found stacked on Mentrim's messy desk, namely "Role of Intentions in Personal Magic" and "Role of Intentions in World Magic".

Jack Mentrim had forgotten the time, but this was around the time that an appointment was due. A fellow professor, the immortal undead Evalin, had notified him a few days earlier of her wish to see him at his office. Though they did not work much together due to their different subjects of expertise, the fact that they both belonged to the same department caused him to at least hear of her before. They had made small talk when they met in various University events or when they passed by each other in campus, but that was about the scope of their interaction.

A smart knock came from the door, startling the professor, abruptly reminding him of their appointment. Not unexpectedly he was too engrossed in his work to keep track of time.

"I wonder what she would want to talk about," He mused, for he had not worked on anything major with Professor Evalin in the past before. Perhaps she had a new project to propose? It was common knowledge that he was one of the most respected magecraft experts, though some might say it was because of the reputation of Godek. Either way, he achieved much in his own right as well.

"Come in!" Professor Mentrim called out, placing the chalk back on the blackboard ledge and heading to sit in his chair on his side of the desk.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Evalin on October 19th, 2012, 6:59 pm

The halls of the great scholar city echoed with the sounds of learning and transcendent thought. It was a strange paradise for Evalin, a place of delight so unlike where she had come from. In this place studies were not shunned and scoffed at, but instead were uplifted and praised! It was a wonder, a curiosity and a source of great entertainment for the immortal who knew that this was but a momentary passing in the grand flow of time which she stood apart from.

Now then, what reasons have she to seek out this man, the one known as Jack Mentrim? Truly this was unlike her to seek the aid of one so young and short-lived as this, yet Evalin knew more than anyone that resources should never be squandered. She had heard of this man's accomplishments, and while the did not often cross paths Evalin was well aware of what he might offer her.

A look into something that may be... Evalin thought as she tread these hallowed halls of learning, making way for the Staff Offices, Though I might never speak aloud this which I know to be true, I admit that I... Am lacking in an understanding of all that I wish to comprehend.

In this world there are more possibilities than can one person ever hope to see, yet even so Evalin knew that she would try none the less, but to do so she had to seek out others, experts in their own fields to guide her when she could do not for herself, Now I do find mine self lacking in that which I hope to understand, and so... So I have come to seek the aid of another..

It was just as this thought graced her mind that the woman arrived before the door that enclosed all that she wished to accomplish. Raising her hand she knocked twice, loud enough to be heard. Then she straightened her hood and cloak, checking her clothing and insuring that she looked her best before approaching this man who held such great influence in the University, For while opinions might change, a first impression is just that, an impression upon the mind that will forever color you in one light or another within the person's recollection.

Her eyes fell upon the staff that she always kept with her. It was her pride, a prize won through much hardships and quick thinking. It was a symbol of what she was, and what she could be. Evalin smiled to herself, I do wonder if others think the same as well?

At the call to come in Evalin opened the door, her eyes gracing upon Mentrim's office for the first time. Though it might have been bigger than most Professors offices, it did not seem so with all the clutter, and yet Evalin might have admired it more for this. What the woman saw was not a tangled mess of indecipherable facts and notes, but rather the workings of a brilliant mind that could not be contained simply in chalk or written words. This room spoke clearly of the man, and Evalin could not help but wonder if she were not given a glimpse into the esteemed Mentrim's very mind.

Closing the door softly behind her Evalin picked her way to the only available chair, trying to keep form disturbing any piles of information that might be important to the man. Finally she managed to settle herself in the chair, resting the staff so that it leaned against her shoulder Evalin pulled back her hood, revealing the face of a woman no older than 23. Time had begun to take its toll, but there were no visible signs of decay upon the well embalmed skin of her face or neck. There was a slight greenish tint to the hair, however, and those deep red eyes the color of freshly spilt blood spoke of a darker soul hidden within this husk of a body.

Clearing her throat Evalin began to speak, "Good evening Professor Mentrim. I am honored that you would take the time to meet with me on such short notice. I hope I am not disturbing anything?" She waved a hand about the office to emphasize her question.

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Arcane on October 20th, 2012, 9:45 am

Mentrim's eyes crinkled as he chuckled humorlessly, perhaps out of habit of wanting to fit in socially or to put the nuit at ease. Though she was infinitely older than him, her status here in terms of employment duration and achievement paled to his. By influence and reputation she was undoubtedly his junior. With her younger looks, it emphasized this connection in his mind, and that showed in the way he treated her. He treated to her respectfully, as always, but unconsciously he viewed her on a similar status as the junior teacher around. A particularly high-flying junior teacher.

"Ahh... I would be disturbed every day," Mentrim waved his hands randomly as if to push the weight of her question away from him. "I'd very much like to work properly and alone, unbothered by the various trappings of human society. Yet, without this society to back me up I wouldn't be able to reach my dreams. Ironic, don't you agree?"

Leaning back as he clasped his fingers together, he surveyed Evalin silently for a curious moment. This was a person who mysteriously appeared to the University and made a few ripples in the academic world for her contributions to the understanding of Summoning. What could she want of him?

Smiling briefly to encourage her response, he broke the silence.

"So tell me, Professor Evalin. Let us cut to the chase and not waste precious time that could be better spent furthering our respective fields. Why have you requested this appointment?"
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Evalin on November 2nd, 2012, 4:33 am

Crossing her legs Evalin absently fingered her staff as she looked about the office, searching for the right words. When she found them she spoke slowly, as if teasing them out of her mind ever so carefully so as not to lose the thread of her thought, "To be honest Professor... I cannot say in the most exact words that which has brought me here this day. Might we call it an inclination, or perhaps a prospective querry?" Evalin shook her head, smiling to herself, "My how ridicules I must sound to you now, but truly I know not any better way to describe that which I find locked within my mind."

There was a pause as Evailn looked at some of the papers tacked against the wall. She examined the markings, the strange designs and formulas that she could make neither heads nor tails of, "My dear Professor, might I be honest with you now?" She looked back at Mentrim, catching his eye before speaking, "As I am sure you are aware, the age which I appear is not the age which I truly am. In fact I might be far older than what you might think..." She smiled once more, glancing away to examine other papers strewn about the office before returning to look in the man's eyes once more, "Over my number of years, the exactness of which is of little consequence, I have always stood at the apex of understanding, and I had thought I knew all that I required... Yet now I find myself faced with the possibility that I might NOT possess the knowledge or understanding for that which I now seek."

Evalin cleared her throat, though more from habit than actual need. Perhaps to provide some illusion of life still held within that corpses shell. Looking past the professor to the tombs and devices behind him Evalin continued, "I have found that my existence holds certain... limitations, the likes of which my craft can do little to amend. Thus," Her eyes returned to the Professors, "I have come to you in hopes that perhaps the answer to what ales me might be held within a craft which I hold no knowledge of."

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Arcane on November 3rd, 2012, 2:42 pm

Jack Mentrim gave Evalin a piercing stare. He was not dumb nor dull, far from it. He was intelligent, brilliant to a fault really, and though he avoided social events like the plague for it detracted from his work, he could grasp the crux of every issue, no matter how round-about it seemed.

His body did not move from his relaxed position, with the exception of his piercing stare as he regarded the nuit for several moments before deigning to speak.

"Are you referring to Magecraft, Professor Evalin? And for the record, are you here on official business? And finally, is this a purely theoretical question or one with practical implications?"

Oh yes, nothing was lost on him, but he was intent on making sure the summoning teacher clearly state her intentions.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Evalin on November 3rd, 2012, 6:56 pm

The woman's hand absently picked at a spot on her staff as her eyes trailed around the room once more. Her gaze fell on page after page of diagrams and charts, written words encrypted with knowledge that she could not understand. It made her feel... Incomplete to know that there was indeed knowledge in the world which she did not know or understand. Raising a hand to push back a stray hair behind her ear Evalin returned to lock eyes with Mentrim, "The rumors of your mannerisms are proven true it seems. Abrupt and to teh point." Evalin smiled, "I must say that only works to increase my interest in working with you."

Shifting her legs so that they were crossed the other way, Evalin rested her hand in her lap before continuing, "Indeed professor it is Magecraft that I speak of, for this art is one that I have no true experience in, much to my own dismay." She would shift her staff to rest against her other shoulder, her eyes wandering over its carved surface as she answered the next question, "I would say that I am here on both official and personal buisness, however, I doubt that is the answer you wish to heart." Evalin looked back at Mentrim, "While I might not distinguish the two I have found that so many here at the University prefer it, and so I should rather say that I have come on more personal buisness."

Finally Evalin smiled, "My dear professor, you and I both realize that something spoken theoretically is often intended to used in practical applications as well. Thus I speak of both theoretical if it might be done, and practical if it can be done."

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Arcane on November 6th, 2012, 8:31 am

Mentrim's eyes narrowed, understanding fully the words Evalin said. More importantly, however, he understood the words that she did not say, and he understood it all too well.

With a lopsided grin, the magecraft professor observed sardonically, "So you're not here on University business then. You are here for a personal favour for yourself. If that personal favour is related to magecraft and involves effort taking more than several chimes, I suggest that you come back to me again a few days later, or a few seasons later, depending on when I finish my current project."

Mentrim was a man fully focused on academic research and whatnot, and he did not appreciate his time being taken out for someone else's personal business when it could be spent on his experiments. Indeed, his interest in the meeting was rapidly diminishing, and Evalin's next few words would be crucial to see how it all turned out.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Evalin on November 14th, 2012, 6:55 am

Evalin remained silent for a few moments, collecting her thoughts as she looked about the room once more. Finally she looked back at Mentrim, leaning forward with a smile, "Of course I understand my good Professor. Your time is very precious, and your work renown. But then, that is exactly why I come to you, for there is no other but you whom I would trust with this project." Evalin nodded slowly, settling back and absently fingering her staff, "You see... What I have in mind could very well set the stage for both my own endeavors as well as your future career." She would pause and allow this to settle in a second before continuing, "Think of it professor, your name could very well be etched into the history of this University, there to stand as a testament to your skill for all time."

Waving a hand absently Evalin added, "Of course I do not expect this project to be undertaken without compensation. I shall of course help in any way that I can, and give mine own aid should you ever need it." Her eyes shown with certainty and understanding. Evalin was a known researcher herself and more than knew what would come of a partnership with this man, "In the end it is we who benefit. You shall gain for yourself greater acknowledgment for your skills, as well as the admiration of your colleges. All I ask is that you spare but a small bit of your time to aid me in this endeavor."

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

the mage who cried wolf.

Postby Arcane on November 17th, 2012, 2:29 pm

"Is that so?" The eccentric wizard's eyes twinkled as he mulled over Evalin's words for a while, then drew up his chair so that it was closer to the desk. Placing his hands on the desk, he leaned slightly forward in contrast to his earlier laid-back, apathetic posture, and he raised a single brow.

"What do you propose then, Professor? What do you propose that would be important enough to both of us that the effort is worth in propelling both of our careers?"
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes