Solo Mistakes happen

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 3rd, 2012, 8:06 pm

Summer 1 421
Vick wanted to throw something at the wall as he took his carving tools out of a box and threw them onto the table next to a set of bones. The bones were not want he wanted or even asked for. His request was a set of Akalak bones but he got human bones with someone telling him that he would have to wait a few more months if he was lucky due to how rare they were.

While on the surface it made no sense for him to be mad but he just was not listening to reason as he was having one of his rare childlike tantrums. He was turned into a nuit as a child and while that is rare it does bring out different forms of change more so down the road in the long term. One of them being random tantrums and non nuit like traits like showing large range of emotions that would normally have stopped long ago.

Only a few Nuits on the island could handle special cases like Vick when he came to the island. However he was told and even found more out later that a lot of times Nuits did not last long when they were turned from children status due to how the minds worked and would turn into. Most went insane or could not handle the new change so they died. However Vick held on and moved day to day without thinking hard on it but at times his mind did slip into some form of insanity or maybe it was due to he was always insane and just knew how to hide it?

He was not sure as he took out a forearm of a human male and used a chisel to thin out the bone as he hastily craved it down in his fit of anger. However he was far from a master with his tools and in his fit of rage he slide the tool too hard along the bone letting it form cracks into it. Normally he would just be able to smooth the cracks out and work around them however he did not prep the bone in any sense or even took markings along it like he should have.

This did not help him feel any better as he just took the tool and craved the edge of the bone into a sharp point. It was crude work but it was a point nonetheless in his haste. He knew this bone was not going to last so he was not even going to try to make it work. He knew nothing of the bones or even if they were from the same person. He just knew this would be a waste project as he took out his paint and paint brushes which he would make the circles.

Even with the paint he knew as a malediction object it would just break and be more of a danger to everyone. He should just throw it away and clear his head but he did not as he painted the circles in a red paint. He took a finer tip brush with black painting drawing tiny words inside the still wet paint. It was just one word as it wrote “Rage” to show what Vick was feeling as placed the brush down.

A knife in hand he cut along his other, the inchor pouring out onto the table as it made the bone awaken yet his blood came onto his brushes yet before he could do much he knew it was just to late as the acid like blood damaged them almost as soon as it touched as he took a candles flame to his skin sealing the blood away once more.

Just was not going to be his day he knew as he felt more anger pool to the surface. Now not only was his new malediction item badly made but now active in his fit of rage but his brushes were damaged and had to be replaced now. “GAHHH” Vick just yelled as he slammed his little fist along the table. Over and over he kept hitting the desk before at last stopping and throwing the bone into a empty box for testing.

He had no idea what that tool would do but he did not care. He just left his office slamming his door closed and let himself walk the halls of the island in his rage.

Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 4th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Vick found himself in an empty room. A simple desk with a blank book with ink and a quill in front of him as he just cleared his mind of his emotions. He had to focus and not let his emotions get the best of him as he kept walking around the island most of the day. Most nuits paid him no mind as they knew he was having one of his mood swings and if the nuits avoided something that meant pulsers would as well.

While Vick was not known for being a wizard that could blow things up he was known for crafting powerful artifacts that would do it for him. It was an Intimidation factor in a sense. If he had the time with the right tools he would spend weeks plotting something. Even if it meant stalking and waiting until the other person forgot what they had done. Every wizard was to be feared within the halls of Sahova but the reason was not always clear. One did not raise in the ranks with kindness with hopes and dreams. No they raised in the ranks with power and things that only nightmares could understand.

He picked up the quill and started to write as his mind cleared. This was to be a long project that he was going to work on. It was to be a book he would make dealing with Malediction. If it went well he would make a copy for Sahova and maybe even see if he could have it sold for a good price outside the island.

“Malediction A guide to death by Vick”

A simple enough title he thought. It was just going to be a rough draft but he was trying to still keep his print neat. Writing had never came easy with him even if he did not tire as humans would. Nuits never did tire afterall.

“Malediction has been my life since almost the start. Within my years of wisdom I have come to understand so much of it. Within theses pages I seek to help others understand the power within the field. This book shall contrain part of my wisdom to help guide furture mages within this.”

While Vick was trying to keep his writing neat and readable with the black ink he failed to keep his mind on the focus point of the book. He had already made a few mistakes with words in the common tongue but he was not that good with the common tongue as he was with the ancient language. He would have to buy a few books to help boost his understanding of the common language if his book was to be of any use. He could had made it in the ancient but that would have taken far more time in his head.

He just kept his eyes on the words. Watching the blank ink dry along the pages as he cleared his head once more. He was trying to recall the words that meant Future or at least how to spell it right in the common print. Along a few others as he recalled memories of the past when he was just a child sitting at his table with his parents. They were talking about fishing and how the winter might have been bad this upcoming year.

He held no emotion towards them as he recalled that memory. His sister was somewhere else at that time but he could not recall where. It was such a long time ago to him and they were long dead he was sure now. They never taught him everything. No that was the island that did his teaching and where he spent the time to learn how to read, write and do math like other normal kids learned. His lessons however came from Nuits and books. Not kind teachers who would make sure you knew it, no that was a fairytale to Vick where he had to learn it or be hurt.

His dead fingers turned the page at last when the ink was fully dried and he wrote more along the second page. His hand moved the quill with uneasiness letting the letters be broken and twisted but he kept trying his best.

“Circles are the words of power within most world magic. This can be seen in in Alchemy, Animation, Summoning and more. It is within my views that I think that all magic comes from the circle. The most basic shape within the world and yet it seems to hold the most power. Malediction is no different within the circles however the circles are just one step within this field of magic.”

He really was not sure how the book would go or in what area. He would just give his insight really with a few key tips and what he had within the field but really he felt like he did not make any ground breaking breakthrough in the field himself. But that would not stop him from doing this project on the side of working on his skills to reach Master of the island. Or at least Master of Malediction within the island.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 4th, 2012, 8:28 pm

“The first think you need to understand about Malediction is that most tend to look down on you. Even other Wizards who work with dangers of summoning will look down on you. A lot of times out of fear or distrust but you need to understand they are afirad of what you can do with the magic. While a lot of people starting out will try to make feared items most items will be pointless. You might have loved your cat Fluffy but that does not mean you should dig them up and work on the skull.”

“Djed. That word should men so much to you if you are a wizard. If you are not a wizard than you need to understand why that word should mean so much to you. Djed is life. Life that is everything. This book has Djed, that rock outside has djed. The water, trees, a leaf has djed. Everything has it from the smallest animal to the largest.”

“The amounts are different. Even within people. A wizard will have more than a farmer. A strong wizard will have more than a wizard just starting out. You need to understand that before trying to figure out if your cat Fluffy is still a good test subject. Your best friend Frank might be a better choice more so if they were a wizard.”

Vick laid the quill down after working on a few pages of the book. It was not in really a good order of events but it was just his thoughts right now as this was a very much a rough draft. He was losing track of time once more as he cleared his head trying to get things in order inside his own mind. He had to talk about bones.

The next page was turned and the tip of the quill was placed upon the surface of the paper. With strokes of things far from grace as the letters were uneven and rough from his lack of writing skill.

“Bones. Bones are the most important thing as a Malediction mage. You need to understand how bones work. How the body has the bones and why they are needed so much. Take a cat if you want to make an item that helps you move faster than you need to take the femur which is the thigh bone. You do not want the Ulna of the cat which is the forarm since the way the cat moves is by the back legs pushing off. Figure out what you want and figure out what part of the body they use.”

“Cleaning bones and handling bones is a must. You should let the bones soak in warm water for one full day and night. Take a cloth and wash them. Work slowly on them but if they dry out before you are done let them soak again for the full day and night so they are easier to work with. Don’t rush or damage them.”

His thoughts felt like they were roaming around the room as he wrote them down on the pages. They were not in a really clear order and far from being ready for others to read. He had to stay focus and make sure he could handle this task. Just a few pages in and he already felt like he could stop at anytime not out of being tired but feeling almost overwhelm by this task.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 4th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Vick had left that empty room with book in hand. He found himself in his own room sitting on his old unused bed with it in his lap. The blue light filled his room from the D-wire within the walls and small fireplace burned away wood that was used for more light for him.

He had opened his book once more on a small table and again he wrote filling the pages with what he knew. Slowly his print did get better but at the same time his spelling stayed the same. He would have to read more common books or at least make this into Nadar-Canoch. Since he was more calmed down he understood just how much faster it would have been in Nadar-Canoch and in the fact it would have to be in that language if it was to be kept within Sahova.

“So you have the right bones from your friend Frank, I hope he was not mad or anything and you did not pick Fluffy. You know project and you soaked the bones and cleaned them well. So now what you ask? Simple you need tools. The tools used for this can be a range of them. You can either draw what you need, paint or carve. The thing you have to understand within this field is that the circles have to last. If they are broken or faded than no magic. Carving works best since paint can be taken off just as much as drawing can from ink. Symbols have to last.”

“I first draw the outlines on the bones. I did not always but don’t make my mistakes. If you want to make my mistakes than go ahead but trust me when I am telling you I am helping you. I draw the outlines first on something besides the bones. Once I like them enough than I transfer it onto the bones. I carve with a pick of a craving set or if I have to make a hole first I use a drill before the pick. Once that is done I paint over them then use my blood to power the magic.”

“A lot of people mistrust this magic. They don’t want to be seen by family or friends wearing something that has sigils on it. So I use paint to cover them up and try to make it look like a bracelet or such. If you can hide it all the more power to. People mistrust this so don’t show it off unless you know they will understand it and not try to break it. Don’t waste this.”

Vick put the quill down at last and left the book open on his small table. He was done for now as he left the bed. He had to keep his thoughts focus and he knew they were starting to roam once more. That meant he had to take a break from the writing and go back to work on something that he knew like the back of his hand which was Malediction.

He left his room and went back to work. He had to make a few more products at least for the book. Might as well take notes while he worked on small items.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 12th, 2012, 9:41 pm

‘The item I am working on now is going to be called Subject B1R1. In short for Book 1 Rabbit 1. It is going to be of rabbit skull. I know I wrote about not using your pet rabbit but well this is rather simple due to the low djed so things won’t backfire on you. You have to understand even about how rabbits work and why they do what they do. We are going to work on the sense of smell. As a person starting out you will want to be focused on just one or two circles. You don’t want to push yourself in trying to make more until you are more at ease with this subject matter. However since I am not new at this I am going to be using a lot of circles to tap into the power I want and to alter the djed itself so I don’t have any backfiring mistakes. This task is not easy. Far from easy however I have spent years working on this subject. I made my own mistakes and I have learn how to handle the circles. While I am working I shall be taking notes and filling them inside this book.’

He kept writing inside the old worn book without stop. He was set on this task so he was going to keep it up as he pulled out the rabbit skull. His djed coming forth from the depths of his soul flaring to life as Auristics took life of its own. He saw the djed in the skull as his focus just kept on towards the item in question.

It was weak. Weak like all the subjects that dealt with the race. He knew this before even touching the rabbit with his magic but it did not matter. This was to be a weak project but a project nonetheless for him to put forth his best work. It had been so long since he had worked with the soft bones of a rabbit. That was a huge key difference really between a rabbit skull and human. A rabbit was so much softer compared to the humans thicker and harder bone mass.

He placed the skull within a small box of water. It would still have to soak for a good deal of time before he would carve into it. Yet while that made it even softer he just made himself take a seat in his chair as he threw a small balled up paper near the door. His eyes focusing and closing along the paper as he cleared his mind as his magic moved back below the surface.

He had to clear his mind. Focus on nothing. Putting his book to the side. Putting his goals to the side of his mind. He was not all powerful. He was weak. He knew this and he knew his ego knew this. Outside in the walls of the island he had to keep up his mask which told a story of how he had to show he was in power. Every nuit played this game really. It was the game of the island that Vick had to learn so very quickly.

Even that thought shifted to the side as his mind became empty slowly. He felt almost at peace with himself. The world was quiet as the sun and moon outside his room danced like always. The waves within the ocean pushed and pulled and life just moved on. He held no power over the fate of people. No one outside this island knew him anymore. He had lost his family so long ago yet even that did not matter much to him now. It use to. Yet he was done trying to beat himself up for a choice he was forced to make so very long ago.

So for now, in his meditation state of mind, he felt at peace. As much as he could for now. Maybe that was enough for him. Maybe that was how he pushed his dead bones around each and every passing day. Everyone had to have a reason to live. Short lived races had it easy. Yet the long races they had it so much harder. Even now Vick could recall how many Nuits just grew tired of it all and killed themselves. Some were much younger yet others were much older than him. It was just a fact of life really. So Vick had to find things to push himself. He had to find that reason to live. Even in this island.

It was a spark of emptiness one could say. It was so tiny. So very tiny that if Vick was not trying for it he would have missed it. It was the start of opening the dark void. He was a mage within the Voiding branch but he was still not that good at it. He was trying to work on it but it did not come easy to him like bones did.

He opened his eyes at last, his focus was on that paper as he focused on it with an empty mind and heart. Nothing was in that space. No paper. No magic. No Djed. Nothing. It was that mindset that forced the small portal open as another spark took place flaring to life feeding off that emotion. That cold lonely emotion that was held within Vick that ran so deep.

The black portal rose out of thin air as it took the paper pulling it in the bounds of a new dimension. One that did not hold the same laws as there plane of life. The portal did not stay long as Vick just watched the black darkness with what felt like friendship. He wanted to travel into it one day he felt but he knew he would die than. Or at least never return for he knew the rules of how the magic worked.

He did not move. He just kept his mind clear as he kept focus on nothing. Small portals came to life near the door but they only lasted seconds with a very little pull so only dust and dirt went inside. It would be how he would spend the next few bells with his life as he waited for the skull to get softer. One day at a time after all.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Vick on November 15th, 2012, 1:54 am

At long last the young nuit took the skull in question and placed it upon the working desk. A black tip quill was used first to draw the outline in question which was a large circle along the top of it. Within that circle had had placed four more inside each new circle leaving a total of five circles to draw forth all the power from the skull.

As he let the ink dry he wrote within his book telling why he did what he did. His writing was slowly improving but he would have to sit down and really focus on his penmanship.

‘When first starting out I would use just a few circles. The circles again are the goal to remove the djed out of the bones. For this subject I have done five circles in hopes to draw forth all the power. Along the sides I am going to be using sigils of Glyphing to stable the magic and to enhance the world magic which is being done which in this sense would be Malediction.’

Once he was done writing the page he went back to work. Within Glyphing the sigils were different to every mage that knew it. It was universal world magic that any mage could learn that helped other forms of magic. Vicks sigils were tiny boxes with a letter V in each one. The little boxes were linked together by curvy loops around the skull along the outside large circle.

He was far from a Master or even an expert in the art but knew it would help stable the malediction and funnel it in a more single target of line. Or at least that was is hope. Just like his penmanship he knew this was another trait he would have to hone in life.

He had placed the quill down and again let the ink dry as he wrote inside his book on a new page. His hands never grew tired which was a perk of being undead.

‘Now that we have the sigils we are going to focus on the malediction itself. For this project I am going to use my native tongue and write it out in Nader-Canoch. Remember this can be done as a drawing or any form of words as long as the intent holds strong. I did not understand what that meant when I first started but over the years I understood more and more. I can’t teach that in this book but I am sure you will understand. I am going to use this item and focu on the sense of smelling.’

He went back to his skull and started work once more. This was slowly taking more and more time but his focus and resolve was high as he cleared his mind going to work as he wrote the words within Nader-Canoch. The words were short but the meaning was what counted as Vick draw forth his own djed yet without placing it in a form of magic he let it trail to the tip of his quill.

‘The user of this artifact shall have a heightened sense of smell with an increase trait of hunting from it.’

This was the first time he had ever made the meaning so clear. Normally he would have doubted himself but this time he did not let the emotions cloud his mind. He kept his resolve solid as he focused and knew it would work as he placed the quill down letting the ink dry once more.
Once more he went back to his book and started to write down what he had done and the reasons why. With each passing letter they were getting more even and stable and his own basic common was getting better with each word.

‘I am not going to go into detail of what I have used. Mages kept secret after all but what I did do was doing it in my native tongue which I have used for the past 200 years. I kept my head clear and intent without doubting myself. I could leave it as ink but I want the power to last so I am now going to carve it with an pick from a basic carving toolkit.’

The pick in his right hand, his djed flowing from deep within him along the tool touching the very end. The tool became a part of his body as he started carving slowly and carefully within the soft rabbit skull. First was the sigils of Glyphing he had made. First the boxes, he used boxes due to being the most stable within his mind as inside his mind they could hold more power before falling apart. Top, side, bottom each and everyone as he took the pick along the already done outline that was done in ink.

Than the V, The V was to channel the power and give focus but also was acted like a key trait as a Wizard which was his name. Fourteen times for each sigil that was around the large circle. This way he was not only doing Glyphing one time but multiple times that was taking more and more time but also he was working on his drawing skills and carving skills by combining the skills more and more.

Once he was done he had moved on to carving the circles, slowly and carefully he let the tip of the pick as he kept his djed flowing from within him to the pick letting it touch the skull forcing the djed remains from within the skull forth. The first large circle was done, then he moved to the second, third, fourth and fifth at last. Once that was done he had then started carving each and every letter of what he had made with his quill.

With each passing slice of his tool into the bone he kept his intent high and it kept building within. He had no room for doubt, no room for fear of making any mistakes. Really this world magic was about ego and he had to have a large ego to make the best out of the items. He was the best. No one could beat him within his trade. Each and every object he made he turned into powerful artifacts that could change the world.

At last he was done. He had lost track of time once more as he forced himself to think such high thoughts but as his lungs moved at last filling with air he blew along the surface of the skull clearing the bone dust. If he was alive he would had been careful not to breath in the dust by wearing a mask but he just did not move his lungs. He was done, he just had to use his own blood to power the magic.

He laced a leather cord through the holes of the eyes and tieing it like a necklace. With a slice of blade along his left hand he let his ichor drip onto the skull, his djed still without his body along his hand and into his own blood he let the blood active his new found artifact.
It was done. He knew it was done as he took a simple needle and thread sewing up his hand. He could have just used flame but he wanted to improve his sewing skills for a later project, the thread was thick and not done neatly but he could not get sick. He tied it off and burned the tip cutting it off with the power of fire.

He would let a few pulsers test out the new artifact, more than one so he could get the overall idea of the artifact than he would either keep it or sell it but before he made up his mind on that he would see if the price would be worth it. As an expert within his field his items normally sold for a good price. He had to get income rolling in due to his other private projects but now that he had more say in the island he could just bill the island for a few private projects.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Mistakes happen

Postby Mirage on December 12th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Vick

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Carving 2
Drawing 2
Glyphing 1
Malediction 5
Voiding 1
Writing 3

Lores
Lore Earned
Sahova: Pulsers Fear the Child’s Anger
Writing a Book: Passing knowledge to the future
Malediction: How to choose your bone
Malediction: Differences between Rabbit and Human bones
Voiding: Feel Nothing

From the Crypt :
B1R1- A clever artifact worked by a skilled hand. This rabbit head gives the one who holds it an increased sense of smell several times stronger than a normal human’s, though not as strong as say a canines. It makes the wearer extra sensitive to certain kinds of vegetation that a rabbit normally eats, but with practice one could tell a difference between peoples scents from several feet away.

Forearm (Did not say if it was a Radius or Ulna let me know)- A truly destructive device poorly crafted in a fit or rage. The simple command pulls dark emotions of anger and rage from the person who holds it, whipping any emotions into a frenzy and making any small frustration into a rolling rage in a matter of minutes. Those who hold this item tend to become violent, breaking things in fits of anger, and often they are very adverse to letting the maledicted item go unless bodily forced.

It's Not What You Think...

I am so sorry for keeping this for so long! Great thread loved it :) If you want to finish that book just make 2-3 more threads which involve writing it and I will have it added to a list of books made by the players of Sahova. In addition if you do that you will also boost your Common language up to the next level as well! Oh and in the spirit of the season I tossed in that extra point in Malediction for your great descriptions of the process in the writing portions of the thread. Keep up the good work!

P.S. That lore of Sahova can be applied in future threads after this date. Pulsers of Sahova now obviously fear, or are uncomfortable/unease around Vick. Have fun :P

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)