[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Vanator // In which Sama'el sees that the Ankal has returned from the dead.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 9th, 2012, 10:28 pm

14th Fall, 512 A.V.

Breathe in and kneel. Sama'el slipped the leather straps over his shoulders just so as he had been shown, and then rose as he breathed out, falling into a regular breathing cycle. Oluse had known more about his injury in Avanthal than Denen, whose focus was more on herbal remedies and matters pertaining to childbirth, although he supposed a strenuous childbirth might yield the same result. But while Oluse had said he was as good as new, he warned that handling things beyond his strength had to be done carefully, and breath was important.

And so he breathed.

Sweat poured off him. He was not a builder. Though he had lived in stone buildings while a slave in Suberth, and sometimes during his following years of travel, he was a Drykas and more comfortable in structures that moved with the wind. But he was helping while he waited for the Akalak elders to formulate a response for him to take back to Endrykas, and so he lent them the strength of his back. Later he would help rebuild the Web in and around the Sanctuary as Kavala could not do it on her own. He would continue to string it with fiery traps for any Zith or even Akalak who might attack them. The Sanctuary ought not be defenseless, and it wasn't, but he liked to think he would be doing his part should there be an attack in his absence.

So he was moving bricks from here to there, rocks from there to here, and lumber where it needed to be. He was wearing out his strength, which was all the better, because it made him long less to return to his pavilion. He knelt beside a pile of cut stone, then removed the harness of leather and canvas, and began to stack his contribution carefully with the rest, then got up to do it again.

He was helpful, damn it!
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Vanator on November 12th, 2012, 11:55 am

Vanator had returned to the Akalak city just days after he had visited to purchase arms for the Sanctuary. The effort to repel the Zith assault on the facility had depleted many of the arrows and crossbow bolts he had just bought, and the Armsmaster wanted to resupply the armory and the staff that had used their personal arms in the fight as well. Van had received a good deal on missiles from a merchant at the bazaar and wanted to buy several more sheaves from him. He also picked up a another short bow to replace the one he broke over a Zith's head.

Hauling the supplies across the compound, Vanator surveyed the work being done. Kavala had shared with him the plans she had for the Sanctuary. Though most of the construction was dedicated to the keeping and care of animals, his sister had also shared a concern for the defensibility of the facility. Indeed, the place resembled much more a fortress than the manor it was when he visited two years earlier. He knew the work went slow, for most of it was done without outside help, the staff doing most of the building. After learning of the devastation of the Drykas and their portable dwellings after the djed storm, Vanator finally found some boon to such permanent buildings as these.

It had only been fourteen days since he was freed from slavery and brought by Kavala to Sanctuary, but he thought he knew all the residents. That is why he paused as he watched a man straining to drag construction material to one of the building sites, then begin to stack his load. There was a familiarity to the set of the man's stature, and when Van caught a glimpse of a profile as the man worked, Vanator's heart leaped.

The Denusk walked over to the collection of stone and lumber, standing behind the man with a wide smile. "What has the world come to whrn a Drykas finds himself building a wall of stone?"

Purchases
    40 arrows - 2gm
    40 crossbow bolts - 4gm
    shortbow - 30gm
    3 small wooden shields - 9gm

OOCSo sorry for the confusion, edited for Sanctuary now
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 22nd, 2012, 6:36 pm

The repeated loads of stone had his legs a little shaky; they were conditioned to cling to the surging barrel of a galloping horse, not to do the heavy lifting himself. And so he worried for a moment at the sound of a familiar and previously mourned voice that he might lose his footing, but he managed not to, thank the gods. Kavala had let slip in an offhand manner that Vanator had survived, but it had been two days since then and there had been no sign of the proud Ankal.

A grin split his face, but then Sama'el was rarely seen without one. But they had the both of them changed since the last time they had met. Sama'el's face was marked by Syna, his shoulder bruised by Oriana. He was an Ankal now too, and while he had a few inches on Vanator, the elder Drykas was the more heavily muscled. It occurred to him that a body eventually changed somewhat to accommodate one's weapon; Vanator a battleaxe, Sama'el a scimitar. But both, of course, entirely Drykas.

He shrugged off the harness to clasp Van's wrist in greeting and then embrace him hard as any bear.

"Your sister needs walls," was all he said.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Vanator on November 26th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Van returned Sam's hug with a tight squeeze. It was good to see an old friend in a place that was so different from Endrykas. He clapped the younger Drykas on the shoulder and returned the Sunsingers' broad smile. His gaze fell to the stones, then to the charred piles of constuction material they were still sorting through. "She needs more than walls. You should have been here four days ago. I am sure you heard about the Zith. I have to admit, the staff held their own, but we would have been overrun if it weren't for Kav and Leo. It was unlike any battle I have seen. I am glad we started the armory, I had only stocked it two days before that." The Zith assault had confirmed Kavala's concerns for the defense of Sanctuary. Though Vanator had not yet accepted his sister's offer of staying on as staff, he did agree to help get Sanctuary ready to defend itself.

Vanator looked at Sama'el. It had been four seasons since he had last seen him. There was weariness in the man's countenance, as well as maturity and purpose. None of that, however, could suppress his ever-present grin. He was one of the Watch now, and an Ankal to boot. It was a lot too carry, especially in those times.

"I ran into Ronan yesterday, but I didn't get into what brought you two up here. I am sure it wasn't just to build a wall, though I am more than happy to see more Drykas around here."
He set down his load of arms and craned his neck to the side until it cracked. He had more pointed questions he longed to ask, and feared to have answered.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on December 8th, 2012, 8:18 am

He clapped Van's shoulder after the bear hug and nodded in agreement with all that was said. But he wasn't sure what he could do for Kavala other than help when he was around; the stationary life was not for him, and so his mind couldn't quite grasp what needed to be done to protect the Sanctuary. He would have relied upon the Web, but she was the only Webber in Riverfall so far as he knew, and it was a mess hereabouts.

"If only the Web were not such a mess, I might have seen the danger and arrived in time to help," he fretted, but only a bit. There was no changing the past, after all. He hadn't met this Leo, but assumed if he had helped in the defense of the Sanctuary, he wasn't a bad fellow.

"Well, we're here on Watch business, which might make you think that I'm important, but I just ride quickly. I'm a courier. Ronan is my apprentice and I've one other, a headstrong Diamond girl named Mealla. I'm hoping this means I'll be a Rayvehk before Summer, but... well, Ronan's easy. The girl is a headache, and I'm still trying to figure out how to do right by her." Perhaps one day Vanator would meet her and have some sage Ankal advice for him, for surely Kavala had plenty.

But Sama'el smiled. That Vanator yet lived meant it was a good day.

"And did I hear there are some Kelvic Denusks now?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Vanator on December 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Vanator nodded, he knew well enough Sam would have come to Sanctuary's aid if he knew. The Denusk had heard the Web was shredded, and had witnessed only a small example. "I have only seen a few isolated strands in the grass beyond the forest, just before the Zith attacked. I have to confess, I am out of practice, but I will help Kavala keep what you have done here maintained. Hopefully connection with Endrykas can be re-established." His sister had explained that, in early summer, she and Sama'el had set the origin for Sanctuary's web, and that Sam had woven it around what was built at that time.

Vanator could not help but feel proud of the young Drykas, his accomplishments, and his modesty. Being a member of the Watch, in any capacity, was honorable. But when he mentioned his female apprentice, a wide knowing smile crossed his face, tempered by a fond memory.

"Diamond clan huh? Well, we both know I can empathize with dealing with Diamond women!"
Sam knew well enough the older Drykas was referring to his wife Kashik, his late wife. "And yes," Vanator's mirth waned to a small smile, "I don't know if you met Pygmy. She lived with me before I married Kashik. The twins are hers. I have to admit, it is hard enough forging a relationship with children you had not seen since they were babies, but when they are also animals, and appear like teenagers at a year of age...it is both wonderful and overwhelming."

"I also hear you have a new family.....Ankal."

Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on December 22nd, 2012, 12:42 am

Sama'el smiled and nodded, glad for the rest from the back-breaking work. He hoped his sword arm would be more impressive after all of this. Vanator spoke of sad things in the same manner as the happy ones, and Sama'el nodded to that too. Drykas had to take things as they came.

"I think she hates me, Mealla. But we shall see." She was certainly beautiful. "And thank you, yes. Officially an Ankal, but I lost my wife to childbirth. The child was a bear, after we had a run-in with Oriana in the far north. Kavala things Emrarre might be a Kelvic, but if so, he hasn't taken a human form yet. I didn't meet Pygmy, but I did Kashik. I'm sorry.

"Good news and bad news together. Isn't that the way of it?" His smile was not blase, but all a man could do was his best to protect family and home. Some days were winning days, and some were losing. The Sanctuary had suffered a bad one, and now they were putting things back together. And that was life.

"We'll have the Sanctuary as good as new or better, I'm sure of it." He paused. It was so rare to have a dead man return to life, a miracle from Kihala, perhaps. "It is good to see you again," he said in all seriousness.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Vanator on December 26th, 2012, 1:55 pm

As Sama'el spoke, Vanator was painfully reminded of the year stolen from him. So much he had missed, good and bad. Sama'el had married, he was a father, and had lost his wife as well. The older Drykas' felt heartache for his old friend, and regret that he was not around to support him, to be there for anyone. But Sam also exhibited the pragmatic soul of a true Drykas, loss and and sorrow were part of life. The ability to carry on was a necessary skill when living in the grasslands.

Van nodded in appreciation of Sam's own struggles. "I too am sorry, Sam." The brief expression of mutual sympathy was all that Drykas decorum dictated. Attention turned to current tasks at hand. Vanator laid aside his armful of arms, leaving them in a neat pile before turning to help Sam stack the building material.

"It is good to be seen, Sam."
Vanator chuckled with little humor. "I was dead, for all intents and purposes. But my sister has brought me back to the world." A sincere grin brushed aside the cloud of regret, anger and sadness.

"You have met Oriana? A rare thing that is. But she is not the only goddess you have encountered is it?"
Vanator reached out to brush his thumb across the stylized orb that appeared etched around the younger man's eye, one ray extended from the sun design. "When did the sun goddess mark you?"

Vanator had missed much indeed.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on December 30th, 2012, 5:13 am

"She has a way of doing that, doesn't she?" he asked with a wry grin, remembering Kavala's business-like compassion when he tried to cope with a bear cub that depended on him for survival in the bow shock of his wife's death.

"Yes. I would suggest never killing a bear unless you absolutely have to, and even then..." He shook his head, wondering what else he could have done to save his people. But he had accepted Her curse with equanimity. Someone had to do something or they all would have frozen to death in the blizzard.

"Oh." He laughed, rubbing his brow after Vanator touched the mark of Inavalti. "Another story... Do you remember the tales of Kasb'el Sunsinger? One of the fathers of my pavilion, from back... well, way back. He lives. He was taken up by Syna and now wanders Mizahar as an Ethaefal. Well, I found him on the Sea, recognized him... The gods are mysterious. Brought him to Endrykas, and fell ill. He recognized it, thankfully, being who he is. It was some kind of... I don't know, he called it a sun-fever or something. I was dead to the world, but in my dream I met Her. When I woke, well... he believed me, but everyone else thought it was a fever dream. Then, when I married Issima, the mark just... bloomed. I think She was blessing the marriage, made me feel like I was on the right path.

"This was... last summer. 511."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Sanctuary] Resurrection

Postby Vanator on December 31st, 2012, 12:03 pm

"You have been a busy man, Sama'el Sunsinger!"
Vanator exclaimed tongue in cheek. It was a ridiculous understatement. In the time that he himself had languished in a Zith's dark warren, dead to the world, Sam had lived an amazing year. Not that Van begrudged him, or took lightly the losses and difficulties the Sunsinger had suffered. Maybe it was a bit of envy. At least Sam was able to do something in times of tragedy. Van had not even been aware of the demise of his loved ones.

"You have been acknowledged by a goddess, Sam. You certainly are marked for something great. These are days that require great things to be done. And do not be modest of your station. I admit some envy of you, as a Tavehk, to have the honor to serve our people in the Watch. I had once wished to join the Watch, but my duties lay with the Pavilion I was to lead one day, and I was forbidden." He shrugged.

"You have seen things, done things most of the Drykas never could. I have no doubts you will rise to rank of Rayvehk my friend."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next