Closed [Katshika Falls] Not All Strings Cast Arrows (Euthisa)

Kovac and Euthisa make music by the Falls, at least it started that way...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

[Katshika Falls] Not All Strings Cast Arrows (Euthisa)

Postby Kovac on November 21st, 2012, 6:59 pm

After posing his question, Kovac laid the lute aside, carefully placing it on the oilskin bag. Then his attention fell again fully to Euthisa, though the Avora did not discount the surrounding landscape in his awareness. From blue cloudless sky, to the towering cliffs and the cascade of white water that tumbled from them, to the clear water that passed by the musicians to rush through the rocks and disappear under the bridge, it all set the stage, complimenting the encounter between the Chiet and Avora rather than distracting from it.

The Enclave. Well, that would explain why Kovac never really saw Euthisa. The archer had not been to Wind Reach's extensive library since he was a yasi who visited a time or two to hear a story read. It was no wonder why the woman seemed so bright and grounded. Kovac realized that Euthisa knew he had never visited the Enclave, never sought to glean any knowledge from the multitude of tomes therein, never embarked on any scholarly pursuits, otherwise she would have met him before today. He wondered if that would color her opinion of the hunter.

"I confess, I don't frequent the Enclave. Again, unfortunate. It must be interesting, surrounded by all that knowledge, and to be doing what you love." He smiled, reminding himself that a trip to the Enclave was long overdue. Kovac did feel the slightest tinge of jealously. Euthisa had known her mother, and was able to share what they loved together.

Kovac chuckled lighty, finding it odd that Euthisa found his expertise in archer impressive. Then he smiled at her. "I guess its in by blood...well, half of my blood. My mother was a Vanthan, she died shortly after I was born. But my father was an Inartan bowyer. So I spent the early years of my life surrounded by bows. Though my father was an Avora, he sent me to be raised with the rest of the Yasi. I took to archery naturally I guess. When it came time to be apprenticed, I had hoped my father would choose to train me in his profession. He didn't. I was picked up by a grizzled old archer, who taught me basically everything I know about shooting and hunting."

Kovac's smile hollowed some, his emerald gaze averted to the passing water, remembering his father's rejection. "Anyway, I hunted more with the riders then, but there were...conflicts, with some of the Endal. So, now I spend more time hunting on the ground and teaching then hunting from the air." A small laughed escaped his lips. He did not mind sharing with Euthisa, finding a certain amount of ease in her presence, and a lack of judgement.

Kovac looked over the woman again. Aside from the intricate designs inked into her skin, she seemed free of scar or burn of the sun. He wondered how often she got out of Wind Reach. Just as he was missing the knowledge kept in the Enclave, Kovac wondered if Euthisa was missing the beauty of the Unforgiven where he often hunted.

"Have you traveled far from Wind Reach? There are some amazing sights. Maybe sometime I can take you on a short trip." He offered, taking another sip of wine and offering the bottle again to his new companion.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Euthisa on November 23rd, 2012, 3:38 pm

Euthisa knew all too well that Kovac either hadn't been to the The Enclave in quite some time, or if he had been, it was at a time that she wasn't there. Surely they would've met before today, and Euthisa would've remembered the encounter for the simple fact that it's rare for such a handsome man to be spending his time reading. Most men like Kovac were hunters. They had not the time nor the desire to read in The Enclave. Euthisa could understand that. Kovac confirmed that he didn't frequent the library and then spoke of how interesting it was to be surrounded by knowledge there. "It's everything from interesting, to intimidating, to wondrous."

She listened to Kovac's tale of his youth and his father, finding it sad that he hadn't chosen to apprentice his own son. He hid it well, but Euthisa could hear in Kovac's voice as he spoke that this unsettled him. The disdain was there, beneath the story, beneath the refined sound of his voice, and Euthisa just picked up on it before Kovac moved on and it was gone. Even after that, Euthisa caught sight of his smile dimming as he looked off towards the water for a moment. She knew not if it was a good idea to say something or not, and she hesitated before making her choice. "Kovac I'm sorry things happened that way for you. I don't understand it, but things happen for a reason." She said, placing a hand momentarily on his shoulder.

Euthisa had an inkling feeling that Kovac wasn't exactly a closed book, but that he didn't openly share very often. Something about a wavering uncertainty tainted the feeling in the air between the two, and Euthisa hoped this would ease the longer they spent time together. It seemed to a bit thus far. He questioned how often she escaped the city, offering her the wine again as he did so. An embarrassed smile adorned her lips as she took another swig of the wine.
"You caught me, haha. This is actually my very first time outside the city. It's not that I don't have the opportunity to come out here, but I just never saw it before as an option. It's dangerous of me to have come out here today, alone. I'm certainly no hunter, and for being an Inarta, I largely lack skill with a bow. If anything were to happen to me out here, I'd be done for. I've always been a little bit inside the box, if you know what I mean. Though lately, I'm starting to break out of that shell."

She thought about Kovac's offer. A short trip, or even a long one, would be splendid. She'd never been on one, and Kovac's skills and company would be more than satisfactory if she embarked on one with him. Her imaginative brain went to work, casting pictures of tents and campfires, stories and laughter, excitement and adventure on the walls of her mind. A bright and excited smile flashed across her face, lighting all her features with joy. "A trip would be fantastic! I'd love to go on one with you!"
Last edited by Euthisa on December 13th, 2012, 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Euthisa
♥ Euthisiastic ♥

Words: 134477
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Kovac on November 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Kovac appreciated Euthisa's compassion, and her willingness to display it to a stranger spoke highly of her character. The notion that she sympathized was disarming, a foot in the door between who he portrayed himself to be, and who he truly was. The half-blood, too, was escaping a box, trying to shed a shell himself, though of a slightly different nature. How far through the door the lovely Chiet would be permitted to go was yet to be determined.

The archer himself felt a hidden joy when he witnessed Euthisa's excitement over a prospective trip. "Its true, it is not safe out here alone, if you are not prepared to defend yourself. After the Storm, strange things have occurred, and there are creatures out here we don't yet understand." His tone bordered on a mock scolding, though the admonition in his words held true. "However, with an experienced guide, such as myself..." Kovac's grin widened, "...a jaunt not too far from Skyinarta could be enjoyable. When we get back, I will make arrangements so you will be permitted to go. You must bring your fiddle though, I will want to play with you." The Avora took up the bottle and swallowed another drink, hiding his excitement.

"But I understand about getting out of your box, though mine may be different than yours. I suppose we are both discovering there is more to life than what we have been content to live."
Kovac's eyes again drifted to the sleeve of tattoos adorning Euthisa's lean arm. Boldly, he reached out to brush a finger against the soft, inked skin. "Tell me about this..does it have some significance?"

Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Euthisa on December 13th, 2012, 3:05 am

Kovac mockingly scolded her for venturing all this way on her own, unprotected in any way, then joked with her about their upcoming trip. "You can't scold me too much for venturing out here alone, for if I hadn't, you wouldn't be sitting here with me right now. And of course I'll bring my fiddle. It'll be nice to play with someone else, though I warn you now, I've never played with someone else before so bare with me, haha." She lost herself briefly in thought, imagining a peaceful and much needed vacation with Kovac, just lounging around and talking, making beautiful music together, and not worrying about life's miseries. She couldn't wait.

She took the bottle of wine from her companion, swallowing a few swigs at once, more at ease than she's been in a long while. She only drank like that when she was completely and utterly comfortable, or when she was having a day where she just wanted to lose herself. Here though, it was out of ease of presence. Ease of mind. A luxury she didn't often find. She smiled at the thought before turning her full attention to Kovac as he spoke. The conversation turned serious and gained depth, something Euthisa had the utmost respect and appreciation for. She held his gaze as he spoke, tuning all her thoughts and senses into what he was saying to her. She was mildly surprised, his words hinted at something deeper than their meaning, something maybe coming out about him, or perhaps self-abasement for some part of himself or his life. It was there. She heard it, could see it, and felt it in the air between them, but Kovac was quick to lock it back up, away from focus and the questions she assumed he was well aware she'd ask.

She wouldn't press him about it. She felt like he was someone who just needed a confidant to release his shackles around, and perhaps he wondered if she was it, but she'd never push him into something like that if he didn't want to. She'd respond to his comment, but that would be the end of it. For now. He then questioned her about the tattoo down her arm, his calloused fingers gingerly touching the skin they were etched into. Goosebumps rose along her skin at his touch, and she smiled, her gaze drifting down to her arm.
"This is my representation of Kihala, one of our makers. The goddess of life, she may not be responsible for the world we live in, but she is responsible for the life that lives upon it. We wouldn't be here without her. She is said to have red hair, like Inartans, but I thought this tattoo would appear more like artwork if it wasn't colored. The flowers around her were just for decoration, a way to make it feminine and beautiful, without losing its meaning or purpose, or taking the focus away from Kihala." She looked up at Kovac, smiling and giggling. "That... And I like being different. Standing out without being the center of attention. It's a fine line, a unique balance to life. I was lucky to find it, and I focus on it to make sure I never lose it. You've taken more interest in it than most though, surprisingly. Any particular reason?" She reached back into the pool of water behind her, running her fingers in it, enjoying its cool temperature.
Euthisa
♥ Euthisiastic ♥

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Kovac on December 14th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Euthisa's own ease in the moment encouraged Kovac to relax, though the excitement of his new discovery, Euthisa herself, flowed like the water in an undercurrent as the encounter progressed. The girl did not recoil as his finger traced a small part of the tattoo adorning her arm, though he noted, along with her smile, the tiny goosebumps that rose along her soft skin. Even that small involuntary response to his touch pleased him.

The librarian revealed the meaning behind the inked design, unveiling as well a new aspect of herself, spirituality. Kovac was not a devout man, perhaps too self-centered or shallow to ponder divinity. The mongrel did possess a small dose of superstition, enough to know that, even though he may not offer much in the way of worship to Mizahar's pantheon, it was unwise to offend the gods. He did find the art etched into the woman's long, slender arm inspiring, as well as her willingness to so boldly display it. That was one of the things that drew his interest.

Kovac crossed his legs, leaning back on his arms as he watched Euthisa's fine fingers trace tiny wakes in the mountain water. "I confess, I found your tattoo very interesting, and attractive. Maybe it is my mixed heritage. I can appreciate that which can stand out among a sea of red heads and freckled faces. I find someone who is willing to make such a statement with her body very...appealing." A wide grin again split his face, hoping the words he chose conveyed his meaning. Euthisa was well educated for a Chiet, and Kovac wanted to refrain from expressing himself in the more base manner in which he was accustomed. But then realized....it was not really fair to present himself as something he was not. "Honestly Euthisa, I find your tattoos incredibly sexy!" Kovac chuckled.

Reaching for the bottle, the Avora took another swig, savoring the warmth of its journey down this throat and the mellow cast it set over his being. Already, Kovac was looking forward to more time with the fiddler. As he admired Euthisa, there was a sudden thought, a connection made from vague recollections of overhead conversations and the memory of an image or two. She knew Hess. He had seen them together once, maybe twice. A fellow hunter, Kovac knew Hess only in a cursory, professional way. Now, he wondered in what capacity they were acquainted. Not that it was his business, or that it would deter him in whatever he may intend.

"I believe you know Hess, the hunter?" It was a fishing probe, and she may have been savvy enough to see through it, but the archer pressed forward as if it were an innocent inquiry.

Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Euthisa on December 14th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Blood rushed into Euthisa's cheeks, flushing her skin a crimson to match her hair. Kovac's forwardness with his opinion of her tattoos was welcomed and encouraged, but made her blush nonetheless. He was profound with his reasons for the interest in her ink, sophisticated in his way of explaining, taking her off guard with his frankness at the end. The corners of her mouth reached for her ears, her smile widening with laughter, the Chiet scrambling to try and recover her composure. Her mind was a frenzy inside, his comments completely flustering her.

Attempting to move forward with their encounter, Euthisa leaned down, unlacing her boots to turn and dip her feet into the cool water that rushed ever so steadily behind them. She balanced herself on the edge of the pool, lazily swaying her feet in the water with the current.
"Thank you, Kovac. I've never had that reaction before, haha. I enjoy our people being uniform enough to mold together, it's how we survive, but I strongly believe in originality too. I think... If we were all meant to be the same, choreographed in our actions and ways, personalities wouldn't exist at all. We were given different mannerisms and characteristics because in some way, even a small one, we're meant to stand out. Be different. As bold or daring as we want to be. I like to think myself a reminder of this fact sometimes. I walk around hoping people will look at my tattoos, piercings, and differences and remember to be their own person."

Her grip on herself vanished though, like dust floating away on a breeze, when unexpectedly, Kovac brought up a subject Euthisa had fought hard to forget; Hess. Happening fast, Euthisa didn't have a chance to try and hide her shock as her features instantly portrayed everything she was thinking and feeling at the mention of his name. Her body went rigid, eyes wide, and it was all she could do to keep herself from falling into the water her feet dangled in. Kovac knew Hess. Or knew of him. She couldn't be sure. And she didn't know his motives for bringing it up. If he was aware that she knew him, what else did he know? Did he know the pair were once an item? Did he know of her torment when he was missing? Did he know of the night they spent together when he returned? The one that was supposed to last their lives?

No. She didn't think. She hoped not. She dearly hoped he only asked out of completely lack of knowledge, and not to see what she'd say. Hess was the first man Euthisa really ever cared about, deep down in a place she didn't even know existed until she met him. He'd changed her life, becoming the biggest part of it, and he was the reason she was breaking out of her shell. He was responsible for her realization that there was more to life than she'd been content living thus far. It all started with him, and for a while, ended when he left as well. Euthisa couldn't explain it. One night he was telling her how badly he wanted to wake up next to her every morning, and the next he simply vanished from her life, taking everything she was with him. Euthisa refused to relive the memories of how broken she'd been. A small spark of hope that Kovac knew of his whereabouts sprang up in her, but as she splashed her toes in the water, she squandered it before it could become a flame. That part of her life was in the past, a chapter already read in the book of her life. And she intended to keep it that way.

Glancing at Kovac, respectful enough to keep eye contact, though not for long, Euthisa drew a deep breath, her eyes wandering to the water as she answered him. She would find out his motives before she exposed more than was necessary.
"Yeah, I know Hess. What of him?"
Euthisa
♥ Euthisiastic ♥

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Kovac on December 18th, 2012, 1:15 pm

If Kovac was a devout man, he would have been lifting thanksgiving to whatever god or goddess directed the tattooed beauty to the banks of the splash pool that day. Her company was infinitely better than the woodland rodents that scampered about as he spent the morning alone. A casual air had flavored their encounter, so much so that Euthisa felt comfortable in abandoning her boots and dipping her feet into the cool water. Kovac, looking on, appreciated the tone of her calves, lean but defined, before she settled to sit on the water's edge.

As Euthisa spoke, sharing her philosophy and expanding on his own comments about being different, Kovac shuffled to the bank of the pool, allowing his own feet to drop into the water alongside hers. The Avora could see that the girl was perceptive and intelligent, something that Kovac would have found intimidating if the Chiet was not so amiable and endearing. The levels of interest she evoked from the archer were multi-layered, unusual for the typically self-involved mongrel.

Kovac supposed all of that ceased to matter when he made the grave mistake of asking about Hess. Euthisa's reaction, so strong she could not conceal it, told Kovac the story. She knew him, and more than casually. The comfort of the interaction faded, tension apparent in her darting eyes, the curt response sounding strained and suspicious. The Avora wondered why he even mentioned it, such a small thing. If Euthisa and Hess had something, what business was it of his? The Inartan hunter had not been seen for quite a while. Kovac realized he had opened some wound, and he now tried desperately to close.

"No reason, I had seen you with him a few times, he was a fellow hunter. Thought you might be friends." Kovac's eyes remained fixed on the rippling water. "Anyway," Kovac strove to shove the matter behind them. "The tattoo there, on your calf, anything special behind that one?" His hand reached out again, a finger tracing the floral design, the digit sliding smoothly over the soft skin dampened by drops of splashed water.

Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Euthisa on December 21st, 2012, 4:48 am

Mentally cursing herself for giving away her pain as she had, Euthisa worked hard to recollect herself. What did Hess matter anymore anyway? He'd walked out on her, and that was his loss. She was better off without him, even more so now with her new-found company beside her, adding two more feet to dangle in the water. He explained he was simply curious from having seen them, and then he worked hard to backtrack to their position with one another beforehand. Euthisa smiled sheepishly and apologetically at him. "I'm sorry, Kovac. Don't feel bad for asking about Hess. That story is definitely for another time, but I don't hold you at fault for what just happened. It's ok." A hand slid over to rest on top of his for a moment before she withdrew it back to her side.

Kovac questioned her about the tattoo adorning her leg, stretching down onto her foot. It was a good change of subject and Euthisa appreciated his attempts to fix the air between them. Lifting her foot up out of the water to give him a better look, glistening water dripping off her toes, Euthisa explained why she had that tattoo. "This tattoo is of Dawnsky/Dusksky, whichever you prefer to call them, flowers. I've always appreciated their hardiness to grow at the base of our mountain all the time, along with how they grow to tower over the other flowers around them. They dare to stand out. And their color often is close to the color of my hair, which would make any girl happy, haha. And I had a girly moment with wanting to get flowers tattooed on me." She shrugged. She didn't always know her reasons behind things, but once done, something can't be undone, and she always took pride on following her instincts.

His fingers traced the design on her leg, just as they had the one on her arm, and Euthisa smiled again. For rough and calloused hands, Kovac know how to maintain a gentle touch, and this teased Euthisa's nerves. Her mind wandered places it didn't have any business wandering to and she struggled to get it back on track. "So... Tell me more about you. You intrigue me."
Euthisa
♥ Euthisiastic ♥

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Kovac on December 21st, 2012, 4:47 pm

Euthisa was gracious, willing to address their awkward moment with honesty and a soft touch. The sweet moment was not lost on the usually snarky Avora, thoroughly disarmed by the woman's kind demeanor. She moved on to the subject of her leg tattoo with much more grace than Kovac had, and he eagerly listened as she drew her foot from the water so he could examine the inked design in full.

As Euthisa explained the floral design, Kovac allowed his gaze to expand, from her slender toes up her slim ankle and along the length of her tattooed calf to the gentle angles of her exposed knee. Such an attractive canvas, he thought. Kovac realized his finger had lingered on her skin, and he dropped it, his eyes darted to the woman's face. It was amusing to learn that not all that the intelligent librarian did was steeped in meaning. It was good to learn that she had her impulsive moments too, spontaneous behavior revealed a flare for adventure. It was a very attractive trait.

It seemed both parties had let their minds wander, until Euthisa brought them from their individual fantasies. "So... Tell me more about you. You intrigue me."

He intrigued her? Kovac was flattered, until he realized there was nothing particularly interesting or flattering about himself or his life in general. But honesty had been the tone of the day, something Euthisa was able to foster, when others could not.

Kovac leaned on one arm, the one closest to the girl. "Well, you know my past now. I became a hunter, though I am not so skilled in the finding and tracking of prey. My forte is using the bow to make the kill, so I usually work with a partner or group. I have hunted with riders on the back of the eagles before, though I do not get those assignments much anymore. I had an...arrangement with one of the riders that went bad." He smiled shyly. Honesty, right? "I lived with her, but we were bad for each other, so we broke it off." Kovac made a small splash with his foot. "I usually hunt around the base of the mountain, though most of my time lately has been spent instructing at the ranges."

"I am not liked by many, Euthisa. I have done things I am not proud of, I drink too much sometimes, maybe I resist the Endal's a little too often. I enjoy a good time, and sometimes, I enjoy a good sulking." He turned an honest smile towards the beautiful woman. "And those are the good things!" He teased, his grin twisting wry.

"I am sure you are far more interesting...what more should I know about you?" His interest was sincere, though his wandering eyes betrayed the full scope of his curiosity.

Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Euthisa on December 23rd, 2012, 10:05 pm

Shaking her inappropriate thoughts from mind, Euthisa looked at Kovac as he spoke. When Euthisa talks to someone, she usually unnerves them, for she always looks them directly in the eyes and unless necessary, almost never breaks eye contact. This unsettles many people but it's how she's always been. He talked of his skills, both the ones he's obtained and the ones he lacks, hinted at a conflicting issue with a woman but didn't care to elaborate, and ended his speech with an overall look at him from both his perspective and others. Euthisa concluded that to some degree or another, he was a damaged soul.

To the untrained eye, Kovac was just a man of many skills. He was handsome, fit, accomplished, talented, witty, humorous, and sincere. Euthisa saw all of these in him as well. But she also saw what she was sure others did not. Kovac was broken, or had been at some point. Broken in a deep part of him that he continues to struggle overcoming. He was guarded and cautious, still outgoing but emotionally shut off from the world. He had built walls around himself to shut everyone else out, probably out of both strategical intelligence and out of fear. Sure, he was relaxed around her, and likely more open than he'd been in quite some time, but Euthisa could feel his inner turmoil churning inside. It radiated off of him more than she dared expose to his awareness. However, this only made him more intriguing to her and her heart went out to him. "Well you don't scare me." She smiled at him.

Now it was her turn. He wanted to explore her history just as she had his, which was only fair. The question was, where did she start? From the beginning I suppose. She thought to herself. "Well... I grew up with the love of books and playing fiddle from my mother. She was a librarian and played music in her free time, so she taught me as I grew. She was also unusually kind, even to the Dek. She was always calm and peaceful and heartfelt to those around her. Everyone loved her. She never had an enemy, and if she did, neither of us was ever aware of it. I'm exactly like her. I was a good student through my learnings, always on my absolute best behavior and I never complained or talked back to anyone. I did plenty of things I wasn't supposed to, but no eyes have ever seen anything, and so my good standing still remains.

One of my biggest goals is to rise in caste among my peers. I've started a foot in the door simply by making friends with those above me. All of my friends are Avoras. My problem is that I'm not sure yet what skill I wish to exploit enough to become an Avora. I'm too indecisive. I over-think everything I say and do, every situation i'm part of, and I'm always analyzing something. My mind is always dead center in a flurry of action, and it never shuts off. My moods are almost always very mellow, and I love music, poetry, plays, watching people for entertainment."
She shot him a cunning smile. "You'll just have to wait and find out the rest for yourself."

She'd been staring off, at the water, at the sky, at everything and nothing, as she spoke. Bringing her focus back to Kovac, she watched him, not ignoring what she'd seen his eyes doing moments ago when she'd started talking. He probably thought she hadn't noticed, for she didn't visibly acknowledge it or say anything about it. She would hold on to that for now, in case she felt like teasing him or catching him off guard another time. She couldn't deny her eyes from doing the same though. And she didn't care if he noticed or not. She was perfectly content either way, sitting in Kovac's company.
Euthisa
♥ Euthisiastic ♥

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

PreviousNext