[Windmount Stables] Horse Sense (Aedai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 21st, 2010, 7:46 pm

40th Spring, 510 A.V.

After asking the proprietor of the Stables whether anyone was looking for a freelance riding instructor or basically anything having to do with horses that wouldn't be too constrictive -- he did like his frequent jaunts into the wilderness with just Horse and him -- Sam went through the stables looking in at any new horses he hadn't seen before. He liked having an idea of the quality of horses in Syliras, and while he noted them always on the streets, here in the Stables there were quite a few kept still in one place for him.

Having been there so frequently, nobody paid him any never mind and a few of the stable boys even waved and had a cheerful word for him. His sunny personality usually won people over.

His own windrunner stallion was trick-tethered outside, not that Horse would wander off or leave with anyone but Sam without kicking up a ruckus. He was quite well trained.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Aedai on May 21st, 2010, 8:57 pm

Wondering the city, outside the stormhold castle since he felt to closed in by the huge walls, Aedai found himself a little lost again. He was curious to see what strange animal or creatures the city would house since it is a curiosity of his that was sated usually when he would find one in the forest trying to get through. He was no sneak but he was no idiot either he always kept his distance. Stealth was one thing his father never had time to teach him but then again living this new life he didn't think he might need it.

He knew that he would have to go back someday to bury his memories, might as well do it soon since he was done mourning for his father. He heard some whining from a building closeby. It was small but not that small, people went in others went out and as soon as he noticed the building he also noticed the creatures he was looking for. The very same that him and his father helped guide through the forest at times.

"Horses", he said to himself smiling at the memory of what his father had told him they were called. They were used as a way of transportation for humans but Aedai saw it as a way of slavery. Especially when they are wearing a "bit an obvious sign of slavery and control", as his father would tell him. Aedai knew if he were those creatures he wouldn't want something like that in his mouth. He sighed at the constant memories of his father and wiped his face before heading closer towards the building. He noticed some faces looking at him as he entered and suddenly realized he had no business here besides look.

He knew he was most likely a new face or old he couldn't tell since people would come in to take one of these horses then go out. He didn't know how the place worked exactly but decided it was something like hiring help for faster travel. Like him and his father, he thought about all these as he stared at one of the horses inside the small building. The horse had a beautiful grey color all over its body and its muscle show it as a strong creature. He didn't know if it belonged to anyone until he noticed a taller young man close by the horse with brown hair.

"Does this horse belong to you?" Aedai asked out of curiosity just to know if this young man was hiring such a transportation. Curiosity at times is good knowledge as his father would sometimes say. I really should stop recalling so many things about my father...
Last edited by Aedai on May 22nd, 2010, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aedai
Herbalist

Words: 31065
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2010, 1:04 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 22nd, 2010, 5:24 am

Sam was on his way out when the young man stopped him. He was shorter than Sam by a good deal, though he figured they were about the same age. Smiling, he shook his head and pointed over the querent's shoulder.

"Horse is also a windrunner, but he's outside."

Visible from the door, Horse stood a tall sixteen hands, a beautiful grey. He was built like most of his breed, or a little more muscular; he would have made a wonderful mount for a courier or a slave on the run. The happy horse wore a rather light saddle and a keen eye would notice that there was no bit in his bridle; in fact, it was a cavesson, and he only used it because Horse wasn't completely re-trained and his original training had used a bit.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aedai on May 22nd, 2010, 3:08 pm

He didn't know how to appreciate the horse besides the fact it didn't held a bit in its mouth. The horse also had muscles, standing tall and fine as if it has been trained. This was something Aedai appreciated, regardless of the fact that the appearance of some of the forests creatures were terrifying, horses were something else, friendly and not at all hostile looking. "It looks like a good horse, not even with that bit in its mouth, who would want to chew on leather or metal", he said this as he looked towards the grey fine horse.

"I'm Aedai by the way, I'm new around and I was just walking by to see something besides people", as he introduced himself he extended an arm towards the tall man. Always good manners to shake another's hand, sign of respect as his father had taught him.
Aedai
Herbalist

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 22nd, 2010, 5:47 pm

If anything, Sam looked too shabby for so fine a horse. Horse's tack was kept up with more diligence than the patchwork of homespun and leather that his rider wore. He was hunting, trapping, and gathering much more of late in order to save up enough money for an upgrade to his equipment and clothing, just in case the future required he be better equipped. It usually did. Life never got easier, though some states were preferable to others, such as freedom to bondage.

He reached out and shook hands with the other lad, flashing a friendly smile.

"I'm Sam. I came to talk to the owner to see if anyone needed my services teaching them to ride or care for horses... and then I was just looking around at the new arrivals. I like horses a lot."

The last, he thought, was obvious, but bore saying anyway.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aedai on May 22nd, 2010, 6:25 pm

Aedai offered a warm smile and said, "Well Sam I have services of my own, I know something about herbs and medicine but I can be the best guide through a forest you might find although I don't know many guides so I wouldn't be sure". He finished the sentence with a small laugh after releasing Sam's hand. He thought about whether he would want to learn how to ride a horse and decided against the idea.

"I like plants a lot", he shrugged trying to find something he is also interested in. He wondered what is there to do for someone like him that has nothing to do. I would like to go back to the forests. He was thinking quietly to himself. "I could always help you with traveling through a forest if you need to one day", he said as he continued to stare off to the horses. There wasn't much for him to say, afterall he felt like an outsider. I still have to bury my father anyways.
Aedai
Herbalist

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 22nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

"I sometimes collect herbs while I'm out in the wilds. Some I keep, some I sell to herbalists in town."

There had been those roots growing near the Sukina Geysers that Weyliss had shown him, as well as more common things: valerian, mugwort, mint, et cetera. Of course, he was no herbalist or herb doctor himself. He knew the basics just like anyone, though, and had his eye open for a few things when he and Horse were out and about.

"When are you going back into the wild? I wouldn't mind learning some new places... But the trails have to be passable for Horse, because he goes almost everywhere with me. He's hardy, though, so you don't have to worry about him too much. I mean, he's no mountain goat, but he can follow a path most horses wouldn't."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aedai on May 23rd, 2010, 4:44 am

He nodded slowly thinking of his fathers wrapped up corpse in the locked cottage. "Yes I know of different paths, the forest has many paths but I know most of them, others still need more exploration but unfortunately are just blocked by wild creatures". He shrugged his shoulders as if they weren't much of a threat or something he didn't care much about.

He knew though exactly howw much of a threat they are and his spear wouldn't even get close to piercing them. Most of the time his father would do things he still had to learn. Still so much to learn...

"I could show you since I was planning on heading up there to my old home to take care of some busines," he said this with a smile. "If you can remember the path if not I could just guide you back when I am done with what I have to do, doesn't take long, its never a wise thing to travel alone". He pointed with one finger towards the side of his head, "A wise man once told me so".
Aedai
Herbalist

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 23rd, 2010, 6:09 am

Sam smiled and nodded at the wisdom of the ages. The corpses of his family had long ago been picked over by carrion-eaters and dissolved into Semele's embrace so far as he knew.

"I'm saving for a new bow," he admitted. "Otherwise I have to get awfully close to wild creatures to use my blade."

His scimitar was still strapped to Horse's saddle; the people here knew him and so he wasn't worried about leaving his saddlebags unattended. That was one good thing the knights provided, a bit of order in certain areas.

"I don't have any plans, though. I could see you home."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aedai on May 23rd, 2010, 3:49 pm

Nodding his head in agreement to the fact he had nothing to do in the city of Syrilas made Aedai even more eager to leave into the wilds. "I could meet you at the gate in a few chimes to collect my spear from my current home just in case," he paused shifting his weight to one feet, "You never know what could happen".

His eagerness to get back in the wild started to show through his impatient as he shifted his weight to his other leg, "You sure you'd like to go though? There is no real reason to guide you through besides showing you a safer path for you and your horse to my old cottage.

"You just give me the answer and I will meet you at the gate". At the end of his sentence was another big smile of his own. To be back in the wilds is just like going home, only with a wild crazy family that wouldn't mind killing you. I want to go back just as much as not wanting to bury my father, behind that thought and that smile was an aching for his father's embrace.
Aedai
Herbalist

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Next