Closed No Such Thing as Happenstance [Aello]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

No Such Thing as Happenstance [Aello]

Postby Sybel on November 12th, 2012, 4:10 pm

26th Day of Fall, 512 AV

The foliage grew denser as she continued north, having truly entered the Wildlands. The branches of overhanging trees interlocked atop the path, giving the illusion of a dark, verdant tunnel. It took an experienced traveler to keep their bearing with such little light. Sybel had developed her own methods. She observed the moldering moss that clung to certain tree trunks, and tasted the air as she rode. She had been through this area countless times before. It never got easier on her nerves, but at least she’d learned the way.

Her current state of mind was something rarely anyone saw. Sybel was in a special place she would go when she traveled. It was instinctive, animalistic. In conversation so many people had marveled at how she’d managed to survive her travels. She was such a congenial sort of woman, not a fighter at all. They might revise that opinion, given the opportunity. Her were eyes flashing, she was barely managing rest and above all - she was always watching the shadows. Once she’d reach the port to Mura, she needed a day or so to level out. Otherwise she’d be lacking the civility she worked so very hard to maintain.

The beat of hooves were her symphony, her background noise, clods of dry dirt flying up as they rode. Eplah was her only companion. This was how Sybel managed years of being alone. Knowing only momentum, the wind urging against you and yet moving you forward. Having to sit in your head night after night, listening to the howling of the wind and enduring the ugliness of your own thoughts. After so much time saddled only with yourself, you truly came to know your own worth.

They cantered, not moving too quickly for fear of loose stones or protruding roots. Riding down a forest path could be precarious, so Sybel watched the ground intently as they moved. There was no real way for her to ascertain the time, suffice that Syna still shined. The light radiating at the far end of the path spelled that much. Minutes later they close enough and there didn’t seem to be much in their way as far as obstacles, so Sybel urged her mount into a gallop.

It was exhilarating as the eaves whipped overhead, stirring the tepid air. They would shoot out into a wider area ringed with trees, one that she knew well. Having some space would be a welcome change. They grew closer and closer to the end, the opening widening ahead until they sprang free from the vegetative prison and immediately skidded to a halt.

The contrast almost blinded her, but Sybel was sure that a figure stood in their way. One misstep and she could die, right there. Pulling the reins, she steered her frightened horse to one side, circling the person or thing that stood in their path. Eplah whickered agitatedly, shaking her mane. The light was much brighter than she anticipated, and with one hand she shaded her eyes.

“Ho!” She called. “Who is it that stands in my way?” Sybel would feel foolish if it was a boulder or something, but it was better to feel foolish than to appear weak.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aello on November 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Muddied irises danced over a bed of uneven terrain, a forest floor carpeted by pine needles, coupled with the autumnal season's first fallen leaves. Lobed and toothed entities having taken various hues as the cold urged them to shift. Some more vibrant, some deeper, near jewel tones of red, although golds and fiery oranges had been mixed into the group. The boiled leather soles of her suede hunting boots scraped against the earth. Drawing the pine needles about her heels; forming lines in the earth which marked where she had tread as she made her way along. Her eyes following the outline of a series of tracks left in some smaller animal's wake. Judging by the size of them alone. The shape- a circle with a slender line taken out of the very top, a sort of groove, which mirrored the four ovular lines which rested just above the lower portion of each print. Her body glided easily through the line of trees, her step causing the debris to crunch delicately beneath her weight as she eased herself along. Weaving in and out of the tree's groupings as her eyes traced each of the animal's steps into an area where the thicket cleared.

There, the sun was free to filter through the endless line of branches, reaching for its light. Here, Aello could feel its gentle golden kisses around the exposed flesh of her pale cheeks as she came to a sudden halt. Her eyes following the tracks to their end, in a pile of crunched cones and bristling green needles, some on the outer edges, a sort of natural fringe, beginning to turn a dismal brown, several shades lighter than the dirt upon which she tread. Her brow furrowed as her fist tightened around the grip of her father's old short bow. Tentatively, she took a few steps forward. Slow, methodical, and measured. Her toes ground into the dirt, displacing small portions; brown earthen beads piling up around the edge of her boot as she paused, and took a deep breath in through her nose and out through her mouth. Causing her chest to rise and fall evenly beneath the supple sweet of her simple blue dress. The fabric rippling delicately in the breeze, as it tousled her mane of chestnut colored hair. Urging her to lift the hood of her black, wool cloak over her head, in part to keep out the cold, and in part, to keep her hair out of her eyes.

Now where did you go? the huntress wondered, as her thumb idly danced over the supple curve of the old bow. Her legs bending at the knees, the bones cracking, as she eased herself into a squat. Slowly, she sent her right hand forward, and pulled several pine needles from the ground. Twisted twigs. She pushed her thumb over them, noting how smooth the needles felt, until they had been given the chance to straighten, and pierce her finger's flesh. Slowly, she pulled her limb away as she scattered the furled leaves in the coming wind, her eyes watching as they sailed forward, and then off to her left. So it can smell me, if its nose is any good, the huntress thought as her ears prickled with the coming of a new forest sound. Hooves, thundering hooves, which caused the ground to shake, and pebbles rattle against their earthen bed. Uneasily, the girl looked up, although she didn't move. Scarcely breathed. Choosing to remain silent and poised until whatever was coming, came, or passed her by.

Luckily, the huntress did not have long to wait, for Sybel and her horse came into view within a few ticks, or perhaps closer to a few chimes. It was difficult to tell time here, the sun scarce seemed to move.

As they approached, Aello did not move a muscle, although they coiled and uncoiled repeatedly. Pulsing just beneath the surface of her skin, causing it to jump from time to time. And as the Benshira reined her horse in, its hooves pattering unpleasantly against the ground, she said nothing, although her eyes swept over her. Hair the color of a raven's feathers, pale blue eyes, rounder face, although her cheekbones were on high, with lightly tanned skin. A taller form than her own, and no less lithe. This one is no fighter, she thought to herself, although her magic did not confirm as much, for it remained enshrouded by her mind's eye.

After taking another deep breath, the huntress spoke. Simply, plainly, calmly. "Aello," she began, "and I do not stand in your way. I am crouching." She paused a moment as her thumb danced over the supple curve of her father's old bow. "Not only that, but you are in my way. Likely damned ruined the trail with that horse of yours," she added, with an edge of ice to her voice, as she loosened her legs, soon allowing herself to return to a standing position, to stare down horse and rider.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sybel on November 13th, 2012, 12:49 am

Her eyes slowly adjusted to the sunlight, and the overexposed outline came into focus. The hand shading her eyes dropped to the hilt of her sword. It was just a light brandishing, non-committal. The knot in her throat had loosened its grip, but Sybel was aware the danger was far from passed. In the wilderness, nothing was ever as obvious as it seemed. The petite brunette that stood before her, held a weathered old shortbow. If she could wield capably, it could pose an issue.

"Aello," the girl replied with a hint of acid. "and I do not stand in your way. I am crouching." Sybel couldn’t help it. Her blue eyes twinkled with suppressed mirth. “My mistake.” She said shortly, fighting to contain the laughter. Her lips curled up in an involuntary smile. It was just such a dry response. "Not only that, but you are in my way. Likely damned ruined the trail with that horse of yours." That was certainly true – any likely prey would have scattered at her cacophonous movements. Her smile faded somewhat, genuinely remorseful. Whoever this person was, she lived a hard life. You ate what you caught there in the woods.

“My apologies.” Sybel answered distantly. For a moment she became pensive, still sizing the little female up. She was quite pretty, too: pastel skin, chocolate-colored eyes and a fragile, button nose. Indecision racked her brain, suspicion brawling with sentiment. Survival in the wild was something she knew all too well. It wasn’t out of pity, but empathy. After a beat, resolve hardened in her eyes.

“I scared off your game, so I’d like to offer to break bread with you. It won’t return to this area for some time, and you’d expend energy going father afield to find it.” Her tone was kindly. “Though I’m certain you’re capable of doing so.” She added, eyeing her agile bow with an arched brow. But then she smiled, a smile that showed her teeth. Despite how she abhorred it, she had such a strong affinity for others. Only when they suited her however, and that particular thought balanced her out.

But still, she was no fool. Her hand remained near her blade. If she had to, she would go for it – not that it would do much against a ranged weapon. At least it was something. Sybel’s gaze swept their surroundings, the clearing carpeted by longish wild grasses and ringed by the same variety of towering trees she’d just escaped from. There was enough open space to make camp potentially and see an enemy coming.

She looked back to Aello. “I’m Sybel.” She announced, eyes distant.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on November 14th, 2012, 12:38 am

"If it should please you, we could share your rations," Aello commented, as her eyes settled on the woman's hand. Lightly furled, palm resting against the hilt of her own blade. Fingers stretched over, nails grating as they waited to dig into the wire's flesh as the rest of her appendages tightened, so as to pull the weapon away properly. Drawing it out into the open. The huntress noted this with some amusement, the only hint of such the delicate smile that crept across her cheeks, and perhaps the sparkle in her eyes, depending on whom was interpreting what was seen in the muddied irises.

So she fears me, the huntress thought, as her fist tightened around the supple curve of her father's old bow. Probably a wise thing to do, considering how little it would seem she knows of her surroundings, and that which inhabits it.

The huntress took a single, tentative step forward. "It is nice to meet you," Aello whispered. "It is not often one finds kind strangers in this place," she added as she took another slow, measured step. Entirely methodical, as though she were still stalking her prey. With fluid grace, her right hand rose as her left foot settled into the dirt. Her fingers outstretched, going for the reins that drooped beside the horse's chin, just below its neck. "Why don't you dismount now?" she asked. "I can hold 'im," she smiled, as her fingers found the leather straps and held them lightly. "We can tether it to one of the oaks when you're down. Should be enough to keep him in place."

The girl's lips curled into a softer grin as the horse snorted. Swished its tail. She could feel its warm breath buffeting her hand as she waited. Trickling down the sides of it as she silently wondered if she were doing more to frighten Sybel than to be helpful, and make her feel comfortable.

OOCIf anything is a problem, just tell me and I can adjust this post.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on November 14th, 2012, 1:07 am

"If it should please you, we could share your rations," her new friend answered coolly, muddy eyes inscrutable. Aello seemed to look her up and down, eyes finding Sybel’s sword arm hovering over its natural extension. Yes, she’d take note of that. It was both wise and foolhardy, however one wished to interpret it. No, Sybel certainly was not out of the proverbial woods yet. The young huntress moved with agility, even as she took a short half step forward. Her stance was predatory, like a cat ready to spring.

"It is nice to meet you," she said quietly, her affect flat. "It is not often one finds kind strangers in this place," and another step. All of Sybel’s muscles froze, working to keep her face impassive. It was difficult not to feel as a mouse in the eyes of a viper. Still, if she showed weakness, turned from this woman’s touch… Then she truly would strike. The Benshira had no doubt. In one sinuous motion Aello stepped with one foot, and held her reins in another: "Why don't you dismount now?"

Oh boy.

"I can hold 'im," and she smiled. With a great deal of effort Sybel smiled back, working to relax her taut facial muscles. "We can tether it to one of the oaks when you're down. Should be enough to keep him in place." Silent, she nodded.

It was a mystery what would happen next but she decided to play along. Logically, if she were outmatched then the outcome would be the same regardless of the action she’d take. Rather than tempt fate, she dismounted slowly, and ceded control. “It would please me.” She said with a wry face, allowing petite huntress to walk Eplah to the tree line. Sybel maintained the comfortable silence after. There was no pressure for speech in their situation. Idly she wondered if she was being had.

Well, there wasn’t much she could do. Might as well make the best of it.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on November 14th, 2012, 4:38 am

Aello watched as the Benshira dismounted, listened to her body thud against the ground; needles scratching the surface, as others crunched beneath her step. Slowly, she walked the horse over to a nearby tree,, and tied the reins about the trunk, before turning back to the stranger. "You may want to feed it Sybel," the huntress suggested. "The horse looks hungry, and if it is not now, who is to say that it would not grow jealous when we start in on our own meals?" Aello asked, as she gave the creature's side a friendly pat. Her hand lingered after, palm falling against a smooth fur coat cropped close to the creature's flesh. Her pale skin absorbing the dirt that had gathered there from the hard ride as she drew her fingers along the length of its flank, before she returned it to her side, after having reached the tail. "While you're doing that, I could start a fire so we have something to warm our bones. This damned autumn air is likely to give us more than a chill should we sit still for too long." She smiled weakly, her eyes sparkling, "it shouldn't take long after I've cleared all of this flammable stuff," she added as she glided away from the horse and into the center of the clearing where she deposited her pack, and her father's old bow.

When she had unburdened herself, Aello took a single pace away from her belongings. She breathed deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth, before dragging her leg across the ground. Sweeping the fallen leaves, pine needles, and other discarded adornments away. When she finished clearing the first thin line, Aello stepped into the space she had created, and created the process, over and over again, until she had formed a rectangle approximately seven feet high, and another five and a half feet wide. Smiling to herself, she dry washed her hands as she surveyed her work. This should do, she thought, as she disappeared into the line of trees and retrieved several larger sticks. The hardwood's severances. Long, twisted limbs, whose ends were either a rounded knob of dark brown bark, glistening with the makings of amber, or bleached wood shards. The jagged end, which displayed their bodies having been broken. When she had found more than she could truly hold, the aurist returned to the camp she had been creating for her and the Benshira.

Once there, Aello dropped all of the logs she had been carrying. Allowing them to tumble to the floor as she eased herself onto her knees beside them. The fabric of her dress folding beneath her, as the rounded bone sank into the cold, hard earth. She could sense its uneven nature, feel it in the ivory colored supports as she reached for the larger sticks. Pulling two from the pile which she placed before her. Each one running diagonally, from the earth to the air. They touched at the end, supporting each other. Keeping each other aloft in a triangle with the ground. When she had finished placing her starter sticks, Aello retrieved another few, and began to add it to the structure. Slowly, methodically, she worked, until she had created a teepee, with a small opening closest to where she sat. In this opening, she placed the kindling she could reach as she knelt- twigs, after having stripped them of pine needles, the occasional leaf, although this was kept to one or two at most. When she was finished, she dry washed her hands, serving only to rub some beige grains from her flesh; causing them to rain down onto the hard packed soil.

Another moment, and the huntress had reached for her bag, pulled off the flap, and rummaged around until she found her flint and steel. When she had retrieved each of them; she divided them, leaving the steel in her right hand, and the flint in the left. Slowly, she guided her left hand towards the fire site, until it was no more than a few inches away. She tilted her hand, letting the flint run down, into the opening of the teepee, where her kindling was housed. Another tick of the clock, and she was bringing the steel down, sweeping it against the flint before lifting it into the air and repeating. Over and over again. Click. Click. Click. The steady grind of steel against something that simply looked metallic, but she was pretty sure was not. For several chimes, Aello repeated the incessantly repetitive motion until it started to spit fireflies. Sparks, which eventually took to the kindling, causing her to put flint and steel away as she listened to it crackling. Watched the twigs grow black, their undersides furling, as the flame rose. A flickering light of orange, red and yellow which danced over the surface of earthen make. Casting shadows across the earth, her clothes, a huntress' skin.

A twirling tendril of grey smoke filtered through the spaces between the teepee's foundation, causing the huntress to smile weakly as she placed her hands out in front of her, lowered her head, and lightly blew on the flame. Causing it to run from her as it rose. As she continued to fan it, before moving away. Settling herself back into her previous position. From there, she retrieved a left over stick, and placed it against the teepee's opening, so that there would be less air passing through. Thus, making it harder for her fire to be blown out by the elements. As the fire roared, and licked the underside of several sticks the young spiritst could only smile as she held her hands out to gather some of its warmth. "Come Sybel," Aello called, "enjoy the heat of the fire."
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on November 14th, 2012, 7:42 pm

As Aello tethered the reins, it was hard to miss her soft step. The noise she made with her movement was almost imperceptible. With each observation, Sybel felt more and more out of her depth. As always she was putting a good deal of faith in her deity by putting herself in this girl’s hands. "You may want to feed it Sybel," the huntress ran a palm over Eplah’s fine coat, brushing away some of the path dirt. "The horse looks hungry, and if it is not now, who is to say that it would not grow jealous when we start in on our own meals?" Sybel’s smile relaxed a bit. “Of course.” She replied.

Beyond grazing, she’d bought fifteen pounds of oats for the trip, knowing she’d only need about five. Still, it never hurt to be prepared. Travel burned a lot of energy in a steed. She approached the horse’s flank and freed the weighty bag from its side, fingers deftly unlacing the tie. It almost wrenched her wrist as it came free. Clearing the leaves away with her toe, she emptied a bit onto the free grass before her. It wouldn’t do to let Eplah eat from the bag – horses were not self-feeders. In the back of her brain, she felt a pang of guilt for forgetting some kind of feed box.

"While you're doing that, I could start a fire so we have something to warm our bones. This damned autumn air is likely to give us more than a chill should we sit still for too long." The curse elicited a low chuckle from the desert dweller, lips parting and breath steaming in the air. It truly was cold, the kind that stiffened your muscles and weakened your resolve. Travel during the colder seasons was never easy. Aello’s pretty eyes glistened a bit; "It shouldn't take long after I've cleared all of this flammable stuff." Oh yes, the traveler’s bane. Leaves. Inexperienced individuals could light themselves on fire before they’d realize their mistake. It almost happened to Bel once or twice too, having been accustomed to sand. After almost lighting up her hair, she’d decided to learn better kindling etiquette.

Both women went about their tasks in a business-like fashion – Aello clearing leaves and gathering their needed components, while Sybel organized the meal itself, assuming they’d be there for more than a little while. Eplah ate fitfully, lips curling up over pink gums as she inhaled her fodder. Sybel skirted the tree line, eyes scanning the woods for branches large enough to sit on. After a bit of searching she found a deadwood log, substantially wider than her thigh in diameter. It wasn’t very long, four feet at most, but it would serve their purposes. Anything made a better seat than the merciless earth. Sybel hefted up it with both arms, the power driven from her legs as opposed to her back. It was clear she was accustomed to exercise. Perspiration dewed on her brow, and with much effort she carried the object to their fireside where her companion was making considerable headway.

“Found a seat.” She announced, setting it down out of the wind. Her muscles ached from the movement, but the sensation was welcome. Grinning, she stalked off in the direction of her pack.

Sybel dug through the pack, collecting the items and bundling them. "Come Sybel," Aello’s voice interrupted the rummaging. "Enjoy the heat of the fire." So it was complete. Perhaps they’d stay the night, perhaps not. All she knew was she was irrevocably tied to this person, for how long she couldn’t say.

Upon her return, she emerged with a single loaf of bread, two hunks of cheese and her waterskin, along with the day’s trail rations. Set assumed a seat on one end of the makeshift bench. All of the aforementioned items were cradled in a piece of light fabric, which she set gingerly beside her as she folded onto the log.

“Nice fire.” She said by way of compliment, defrosting her stiff fingers by the crackling hearth. Flexing her joints, the difference in temperature was already substantial. “Help yourself.” She said, breaking off a solid piece of cheese and ingesting it. Oh how delicious it was. Sybel savored each bite, chewing slowly. She hadn’t realized how bad she truly needed to rest until that moment, crippling fatigue hitting her like a blow. Her eyelids felt heavier than a moment before.

“I must admit,” she began. “You have good timing. I sorely wish I had something in the way of meat to offer.”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on November 15th, 2012, 4:43 am

Aello looked up from her fire at the Benshira holding a log. Her eyes grazed over it lazily, as though she were an old goat peering over a field she had dined on countless times before, and could no longer truly enjoy. Even so, she offered a weak smile, so as to seem somewhat civil, and not horribly impolite. "Ground's comfortable enough," the huntress commented, as she turned back to her fire, and silently wondered where her companion had gotten to. If she was still resting in the front pocket of her bag, or had slipped out some time before to go on another of her crazy adventures.

Inwardly, the huntress sighed as she turned back to the fire she had created, "thank you," Aello whispered, as she reached for a slice of bread. Her fingers easily furling around it. Pale needles, whose points dug into the loaf's dark brown, crackling crust, and soft, white flesh. Her nails dug into the surface, flicking small grains of white onto the ground. The crumbs tumbled, before settling by her feet, giving the appearance of a hoarding squirrel as she lifted the sustenance to her lips and ripped off a piece with her teeth. She chewed thoughtfully for a time, before swallowing inaudibly.

"It is quite alright. I have had enough meat, dried, finely roasted, and otherwise prepared to last me a lifetime," the aurist said after a time, before taking another few bites of bread. "But if it would please you, and add to your meal, a squirrel or something small could be fetched easily enough. They litter the land, in a fashion. Although, this late into the year, and even the season, they are prone to hiding in the trees. Little holes and burrows the peckers made for them."

The aurist's lips curled into a delicate smile, and her eyes began to sparkle as she stifled a chuckle. "I can go get something within a bell, and we can roast it on the fire," Aello went on. "Unless you would like to come along. Although, should that be the case, we should put this out. Leaving such unattended can be rather hazardous you know."

OOCYour call about what you want to do, I can easily post once and grab something, or we can continue on without it/do something else.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sybel on November 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Aello eyed the log without feeling, forcing a tight smile. "Ground's comfortable enough," she murmured. Being a wildling, she’d be accustomed to hard living. Sybel wasn’t really offended by her reaction, merely impassive. “Fair enough.” She replied, eyes becoming lost in their newborn flames – her final resting pulse.

It took considerable willpower not to inhale her portion of the meal. Much like the fatigue, her stomach was suddenly plagued with an unexpected ferocity. It gurgled emptily as she devoured each morsel, the sensation like lead coins falling soundly to the bottom of a well. It had been a long, hard day of riding. She’d set out before first light, and that had been the last time she’d eaten. It had been a foolish notion to think she’d make it to sundown without stopping for rest. The cheese had a thick, savory taste that screamed to be devoured. It did nothing to strengthen her determination.

A small utterance of "thank you,” wisped by. Aello dug into the flaking white crust of the bread, nails digging tiny crescents in its stiff flesh. Sybel’s gaze was involuntarily drawn by the sound. The flakes rained down as she tore the loaf in half, taking a mouthful and chewing. The shared silence was pensive. “It is quite alright. I have had enough meat, dried, finely roasted, and otherwise prepared to last me a lifetime," she responded, after the first few swallows.

"But if it would please you, and add to your meal, a squirrel or something small could be fetched easily enough.” She offered gratefully. “They litter the land, in a fashion. Although, this late into the year, and even the season, they are prone to hiding in the trees. Little holes and burrows the peckers made for them." Sybel shook her head.

"I can go get something within a bell, and we can roast it on the fire," her small, soft-seeming lips curved into a crescent. "Unless you would like to come along. Although, should that be the case, we should put this out. Leaving such unattended can be rather hazardous you know."

“It’s not necessary,” she replied, eyes wandering back to the fire. “I appreciate it, though.” It was difficult to know how to continue.

At first she’d been intimidated, but their dynamic abruptly fell into some simplistic routine. It was almost comfortable. Out in the world, amongst civilized people, there was always this pressure to converse. To socialize and be affable. She tore a corner off the cheese and chewed slowly, expression nearly sour. It actually was annoying upon reflection. No, not all the time. Not even to the point where she noticed. But in the blessed silence, with the empty air falling around her, there was no frivolity. No insubstantial chit-chat. Just you.

And now her.

“You live in this area?” She asked, out of genuine curiosity. “Or are you traveling?”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aello on November 16th, 2012, 1:08 am

"Suit yourself," Aello commented with a small shrug, as she lifted the bread to her lips once more and tore off another bite. For a time, she remained silent. Pensive, her eyes stuck on the fire. The way it glowed a soft orange as it danced against the logs. Charring their undersides, creating a small pile of thick grey ash which gathered in the center of the kindling. Her gaze developed a fire off look as she peered into the flames, watching a thin tendril of smoke slither up an invisible air current. As though it were a tree's limb, ripe for the grasping. Inwardly, the woman smiled as she tore off another piece of bread and chewed thoughtfully, her eyes following the strange, elongated pictures the fire created. As though they were colored shadows. She enjoyed the story it told, of ghosts floating over the earth's surface. Always searching for something. Undefined and intangible. But something all the same. Something; missing. Their flickering arms, transparent and ethereal reaching for something out ahead. Their fingers furling although to grasp it, before opening again, as though it always remained just out of reach. Or perhaps, whatever it was, was some twisted figment of their imagination. A mirage, designed to push their minds to the brink of complete disturbance and general destruction. To pull at their heart's strings in order to make them feel all the more alone, for they had a hole within their souls to fill before they could move on.

As the Benshira spoke, the huntress' eyes settled on fattened fingers. Nails scraping at the air. Clawing at the smoke that trickled through them. "Traveling," the huntress finally replied as something within her stirred. Her senses rousing, ears prickling, straining to listen, to catch. Her eyes came back. Her vision flooding too, as she turned to face the darker haired woman. "Although, my companions and I have spent so much time in the woods of late you might as well say that we do live here." She paused as her eyes glimmered knowingly and her lips curled into a soft grin. "And you must be doing much the same. Traveling that is." She fell silent another moment as her eyes grazed over the Benshira's form. "You are not muddied enough to be a woman of the forest." As the words left her lips, she turned back to the fire. Seeking the story they once told with mere picture. But she could not find it. Not now.

Not again.

Uneasily the woman sighed as she shifted her weight from one leg to the other. It proved difficult, considering how she sat. "So where is it that you are going Sybel?" Aello asked. "With that horse of yours and the great amount of feed?" Must be far, she thought to herself. That, or she knows not where she is going. Perhaps, even forgot to pack a map, and fears that she will run out. Her thoughts halted, if not that, perhaps she fears this season. The weather. It can be cold, relentless, and harsh. Cruel towards those that do not heed its coming and offer their tidings. Almost reluctantly, the huntress forced herself to widen her grin.

The birds were calling. She could hear them, and then they grew deathly silent as a crow cawed. Loud, raucous, and singular. It seemed the ground shook against it.

A shiver shot up the length of Aello's spine as she listened to the flapping of wings slowly receding. What has caused them to stir? she wondered.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next