Golem Masters of Sahova (Thomas Cosa)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Mirage on December 31st, 2012, 7:17 pm

The man grunted, turning back to his work to tinker with a few odds and ends on the table, "Daft fool ya are. Ya think them--" He waved at Kromby and Filch, and any other nuit that was about the space, "Will teach ya anythin?"

Grumbling under his breath Sid shook his head, "I see more young fellas like yerself come through this petching place than you can count, and very few ever escape here alive." He looked up to stare Thomas right in the eyes, "You petching gave your life to them, and ya don't even know it yet."

Falling silent Sid would work, the sound of gears and metal scraping the only sounds between them for a tick, but eventually Sid would sigh. Without looking up he would say, "I came to this damned place 8 seasons past. Thought I could come here and learn from the best, become greater than any living gadgeteer 'cause I would be learnin from the oldest and the best." A grim chuckle escaped the man's lips as he looked up at Thomas once more, "8 seasons in this petching place and I still have nothin ta show for it."

Letting the work fall to the table Sid turned and leaned against the wood, crossing his arms to talk to Thomas face to face, "And you are makin the same mistake ya are. If you got any sense at all you will leave now, get back on that ship while it is still dock and leave this place. Otherwise Sahova will claim you forever." Sid leaned forward, "If ya stay it will be hell. You will starve, you will ache, you will never rest. You are givin yerself over to them damned nuits as a slave, and for what? The chance to learn something?"

Leaning back once more Sid raised an eyebrow at Thomas, "So whats it gonna be boy. Ya gonna make a break for ya freedom, or will ya stay here in this livin nightmare?"

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on January 2nd, 2013, 3:55 am

"Then I will starve, I will ache, and I will never rest," Thomas answered, his tone impatient and rude. "I had been warned of Sahova's reputation prior to arriving on the isle, and it seems everyone and their dead mother thinks I don't know what I've got myself into," he paused, sighing. "I am not an idiot, CId, and despite what the whole of Sahova thinks, I am not so naive as to think I would be treated as an equal amongst masters, at least, until I prove my worth," he added, an arrogant smile gracing the youth's face.

"I am determined, and I am talented. I doubt Sahova will be cruel to me for long," the human muttered, more a reminder to himself then said to the elder pulser.

"And had you not done the same? Risk a life of self imposed slavery for a chance, a glimpse of mastery?" Thomas countered, refusing to be viewed as a someone to be saved. "I am here to learn, Cid, like any other," he paused, remembering what the old gadgeteer had said, that eight seasons spent of Sahova had been fruitless.

"Avalis, guide me," he prayed, knowing She would lead him to where he would grow most. Had Sahova not been the best option, She would have sent a sign.

Or so he hoped.

A brief moment of silence past over the young mage as he glanced around the lab, still obviously amazed. Golems of all size and shape were being built and animated around him, the static feel of magic strong in the air.

How could he not learn anything?

"So, I'll be staying," Thomas said, watching Cid for his response. Truly, had Sahova been that bad to the old man?

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Mirage on January 2nd, 2013, 5:17 am

Sid remained silent through it all, never faltering or showing any signs of outward feelings to anything that Thomas said. This man, this withered and worn looking man simply waited in silence, arms crossed and eyes searching as he listened. At the end of the young man's speech Sid would raise a hand to massage his brow, sighing under his breath.

"Just as I said. A daft fool ya are." he raised his head, "Aye I was just like you once. Not so long ago, but the time spent here feels like ages longer than in the outside world. I was once proud and full of spirit and only wanted to be the best, but look at me now." He waved his hand over his beaten, bruised and world weary form, "This be the form of a near broken man, and yet I still stay here."

He paused to stroke his beard, his eyes growing distant for a moment as he remembered those days long since past. A time when he was young and in his prime, strong and proud and held his head up high. Then those memories were darkened by something else, the shadows of days spent under ground. The sound of metal on metal, the sting of flesh and the choking scent of sulfur that filled his nostrils as his very bones ached from the tortures of living along side these deathless monstrosities. Yet still.. that small spark, that tiny bit of hope remained. That single, simplistic notion that maybe, just maybe, if he stuck it out he could still gain from his trials.

Clearing his throat Sid looked at Thomas, "You are a stupid, idiotic and arrogant child. You shall die upon this island, with all your hopes and dreams for naught and yet you still want to stay?" The barest hint of a grim smile could be seen through the tangled beared, "Fine, but I'll be damned if you don't make yourself useful while you stay."

Standing abruptly Sid would move to the nearest stair case, striding up and talking as he did, simply expecting Thomas to follow, "In Lab 15 all Pulsers are allowed 6 bells of rest every day. These hours can be divided however you like, simply talk to me and we will set your schedule for every day." Rounding the top they came to the opening to the sleeping quarters which consisted of a long tunnel which branched off into caves which held 3-5 sleeping matts, "This is where you will sleep when you are allowed." Turning Sid would cross his arms and continue, "Those who apprentice under Kromby and Filch receive one meal every two days. This is much better than most, but still if you wish to survive you must learn to ration your share. There is a substitute for this nutrition available to higher apprentices, but for now what you got is what you got."

Nodding Sid uncrossed his arms and moved to the railing, wrapping his hands around the cold iron bars and leaning out to look over the Lab. Waving Thomas over Sid would wave his hand over the space, "This boy is your home now, and will be your grave. If you do not die though..." He looked at Thomas, stroking his beard, "Perhaps you could learn something after all."

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Thomas Cosa on January 5th, 2013, 3:50 am

Thomas followed Sid quietly, not bothering to reply to the insults. He knew he wasn't stupid, and he was going to stay. Only when they started discussing the actual living conditions did Thomas speak out.

"One meal every two days, is better then most?" Thomas asked incredulously, a strange mixture of gratitude and pity forming in the pit of his stomach. He had known he would be eating sparsely, and had even prepared himself on Mura at the urging of his mentor.

But that had only been for a few weeks before leaving the Konti Isle, and Avalis' knows how long he would be stuck here, living amongst the dead.

"How long till I can be considered a higher apprentice," he asked greedily, already feeling a pain in his stomach. Thomas only just realized he hadn't eaten all day, and quickly reached into his pack for a strip of dried meat - the only thing that had made survived his appetite from the journey from Mura.

And without offering any, he downed the entire strip, avoiding his mentor's eyes.

They were on Sahova after all, it would've been stupid for him to share. Everyone for themselves and all.

"Are we assigned...caves or...?" Thomas asked, eyeing the caves, trying to see if any differences to the open areas. Perhaps one of these mattresses was fuller, more comfortable? If only he was allowed to try every one...

"I understand these aren't the best conditions, but," he hesitated, biting his lip, "But, why do you stay, if it isn't worth the price? I mean, if you're willing to give someone the chance to leave, why not take it yourself?" Thomas asked, unsure if he had overstepped his boundaries as a novice apprentice. While he may feel confident regarding his own ability in animation, that didn't mean he understood Sahovan policy or regulation.

Maybe after reaching a certain point, they weren't allowed to leave?

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on January 9th, 2013, 5:24 am

Cid watched Thomas as he downed the strip of meet, grunting, "Foolish move boy. Meal day is today, and ya would hav been better ta ration what little ya got."

Clearing his throat Cid went back to looking over the lab, "Ya get assigned to work that tha Masters want ya to do, and you do not ask questions least they ship ya off and order a new lad just like ya as a replacement." Still stroking his beard Cid looked thoughtfully over the hustling crowds, "Hard to say when ya gain favor, 'cause it is different for every man. Some achieve the prestige after just a season, others not until many years." He shrugged and looked at Thomas, "Just depends on how useful ya are to the Masters."

Cid finally raised a hand, shaking his head and turning to lean his back against the railing. Crossing his arms he growled, "Ya ask far too many questions fer ya own good boy. Take a lesson here and now. Shut yer trap and don't ask needless questions unless ya be wantin to join the Grounds Keepers." Glaring until Thomas finally seemed to get the point Cid would finally look away, up to the expansive ceiling high above, "Boy look at me. I am old now, set in my ways. If I left what would I do? I am more dead than alive. No... No this is where my true place is." Grumbling under his breath Cid scratched his chin, "I suppose I still hold onto that small hope that, some day, I will find what I was lookin for."

The man was lost for a tick or two in his own thoughts, but soon he regained his senses and straightend, dusting off his apron and looking at Thomas, "Now ya got the tour, ya heard what I had ta say. So now ya choose. Do ya leave now and keep ya humanity, or do ya stay and give everything you are to Sahova?"

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Thomas Cosa on January 9th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Thomas nodded, blushing profusely at his folly, his ego stinging. "How was I supposed to know today was 'meal day'" he thought bitterly, eager to assign blame to anyone but himself. "Maybe if you'd said something earlier," he barely whispered, hoping Sid wouldn't hear, but his own defiance needing voice.

At the mention of possible work, Thomas pressed for more information, "And where will we animate? Are we assigned labs or space?" he paused, scanning the labs for any hints or clues. "Of course, but I will not disappoint, I promise," he swore to himself, and to the older gadgeteer.

"Where do you work, Sid?" he asked, again searching, naively, for some kind of name plate that read Sid, Head Apprentice.

Thomas fell silent, embarrassed again, quietly listening to the old human. Sid's words sounded bitter to the young mage's ears, angry even, but Thomas could still hear the sound of hope, which was encouraging. While Sahova may have taken what was left of Sid's youth and health, at least it hadn't destroyed his dreams.

And that was all the reassurance Thomas needed.

"Yes," he stared directly at Sid, "I will be staying. I volunteer myself willingly to Sahova, and to everything she holds," he promised, knowing there would be rewards of forgotten knowledge and technique.

There had to be.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on January 10th, 2013, 1:39 am

Cid grunted at Thomas' statement, "Very well then. There is lots of work to do, and very little praise involved. If ya want ta stay then ya got to work for it." Waving a hand Cid began walking down the stairs, obviously ignoring the past questions about where he worked, "Ya are a lackey for now boy. That means you get this and that for anyone in the lab. Ya don't talk, ya don't complain, and ya certainly don't ask questions."

They returned to Cid's workbench, where Thomas would find a single strip of wood (obviously hand carved) which has carved into it Cid Mckervy "Apprentice Head". Clearing away the mess Cid picked up a heavy crate turning to deposite it in Thomas' arms, "Ya can start by takin that crate to the far side of the lab to a mister Gromshak. He been wantin this for a good few bells now." Waving his hands briskly, "Well don't just stand there, off with ya! I ain't got the time o' day ta deal with ya no more. Begon and get to work!" In an instant Cid changed from a somewhat kind old man to a strict task master, waving Thomas off so that he might return to his own work.

And thus Thomas began his time in Sahova. The next question is, how long would he survive?

OOCYay its all official! You can post again if you like or I will go ahead and post your grade (no need to put this in my office). WELCOME TO SAHOVA!

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Mirage on January 10th, 2013, 7:19 am

Character Name

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Rhetoric 2
Interrogation 3

Lores
Lore Earned
Kromby and Filch: Golem Masters
Cid: Head Apprentice
Pulser: Ration food portions
Pulser: Meals come once every 2 days

It's Not What You Think...

Now I officially welcome you to Sahova! Enjoy your apprenticeship :)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Previous