PM to join Almost A Vision

Serrif gets some medicine from a vendor...and feels EVERYONE needs to have some.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Almost A Vision

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on November 19th, 2012, 5:24 pm

54th Fall 512 AV

There were several things one never passed up, and one of these things was medicine that could be a cure all. Yes, such things were rare; but if they were indeed concocted these liquids should be stockpiled. He met the individual selling this cure all. And even if it only cured a few things it would be worth having the medicine on hand incase it was ever needed. Maybe he and Kavala could reverse engineer it given a good amount of skilled time. That would be an endeavor that the two of them could embark on during the Winter. Once they had time and didn’t have to tend to so much above ground.

The medicine would be a good thing to have, the man even told him it was a good preventative measure as well. Which really sold it to Serrif; the last thing he needed was the sanctuary staff getting sick for no reason. Illness sweeping the somewhat confined inner area of the Sanctuary could be disastrous. Preventative measures were good.

He had acquired a good amount of the medicine and was delivering it back to the Sanctuary. He had a feeling that something was coming himself and wanted to be ready for it. He had a feeling that maybe another Zith attack was coming; or maybe something even more startling. Whatever the case the Sanctuary and it’s inhabitants had to be ready for it. Because they were outside the protective shadow of Riverfall and would have to stand their own ground. Which Serrif much preferred; because when the time came and when the Ruv’na came knocking they would have to be able to stand resolute against them.

In a leather satchel at Serrif’s side sat this medicine in vials. He had brought them into town to be filled; that way he wouldn’t have to pay for the price of the glassware as well. Serrif was after all only interested in the medicine itself. So he bought what he thought was a good amount and then transported it safely back to the Sanctuary. He had heard good things about this medicine from people who had taken it. Although they seemed a little drowsy and distant at the time…one of them seemed straight out loopy.

Maybe that was just a side effect of the medicine, like a sedative or painkiller? He hadn’t had any himself yet, but he planned to do so when he got to the Sanctuary. He wanted to test it on himself before distributing it to the Sanctuary staff. It was always important to know what a medicine could do before divvying it out in masse to the staff. It was possible that it could have interesting effects. And what if it made him sick instead? Although those that he saw who had taken it seemed to be pretty well off.

He stabled Hasmere and took the saddle gently from the horses back. In all Hasmere was likely one of the best purchases he had ever made. He carried Serrif through huge messes of snow and without complaining any at all. It was the summer months that seemed to be the hardest for the horse. However winter was coming and Hasmere knew it. He had become a little more restless than usual wanting to go out more and more since the temperature dropped.

With some hay given to Hasmere and an apple as well for his good mornings work Serrif walked into the within gently. It was almost mid day and he knew everyone would likely be coming in for some kind of a lunch break; or a breather. He had been feeling a little under the weather lately; not sick but just a little sore from all the morning runs and such. He had been pushing hard; which likely had something to do with it. Especially since the Zith attack he had taken to training hard because they needed to be ready…he needed to be ready.

He took the medicine into the laboratory and began to measure the liquid out into smaller vials that the man had told him were single doses. It was supposedly strong even in small amounts so measuring was very important. He remembered buying twelve doses from the man. So he laid out twelve vials in a wooden vial stand and began carefully pouring liquid into them. He poured little amounts at first and then with the vials side by side was able to tell which ones needed more or less. Eventually he got everything level in them and capped off the extras setting them on a shelf he called his test shelf.

This was the shelf reserved for medicine that was in its trial stages. Things he wasn’t sure about enough to widely distribute as of yet. He labeled all the vials with a number 3 to indicate which trial they were part of. And then on a piece of parchment write down what he knew about test #3.

Trial #3 is supposedly a cure all that I bought today from a vender in Riverfall. It is also supposed to be a good preventative measure for disease and illness. I am skeptical but I am going to run tests and have bought a good quantity of the medicine in case.

With a nod he downed one dosage himself, he didn’t feel anything immediately but what could he honestly expect. He put the original container that he brought to the market in the wash pile as well as the vial he had just drank of the liquid. It tasted…odd. But there wasn’t anything really significant about it either. He sat down and opened his personal log and began to take notes.

Trial #3 bought from merchant in Riverfall. So far I have noticed nothing different about myself. The liquid tasted a little bitter with a strange aftertaste that I can’t quite put words to. I have had no immediate reactions to the substance myself and will continue to document my results.

He drank a little water noticing he felt a little parched; he hadn’t really been keeping up with his hydration like he should. But that could be remedied easy enough.

It has been a few chimes, and my muscles have started to feel a little better now. Not as strained as they usually do but instead they feel light…airy almost. I don’t believe this medicine can do any harm to the staff. But I will continue to document my trials.

He found himself now looking at the walls and ceiling, all the colors looked so…vibrant…so wonderful. How had he never seen the colors before now? They were…absolutely beautiful! He looked about and the walls seemed to shimmer with color. Blues, yellows, whites everything was vibrant.

So far the medicine hasn’t done anything to me. But I have started to notice that the walls of the lab are absolutely wonderful. How have I never noticed these colors before?”

He was feeling wonderful, absolutely wonderful. With a smile he took several doses of the medicine and got to his feet. The others of the staff NEEDED this medicine now! It was a wonderful feeling, and eased all his woes. Every last one of them. His body didn’t ache as much now and well he had wonderful feelings all over. Elated he walked down the hallway looking for anyone and everyone.

A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Almost A Vision

Postby Rhy on November 19th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Rhy sneaks back into Sanctuary like she has something to hide. Which is exactly what you don't do if you have something to hide. She has been gone all morning and most of the afternoon, and really, she hasn't been in the Sanctuary much over the last few days. Taking nearly all day to hunt, bringing back large prey only to turn around and leave again. Besides that, she spends almost all of her day as a human and wearing every single piece of clothing she has. The Sanctuary's dog pack, always much loved and playful, is met with open hostility if she can't altogether avoid them.

What she is trying to hide is tucked into the waist of her pants. A innocuous glass phial filled with a miracle cure, purchased in Riverfall this afternoon from a very convincing hawker. Her affliction is simple, her behaviour totally explainable. Rhy is in her first heat and has no idea what to do about it. And apparently this little glass is a cure.

Like every other human of her maturity, Rhy is fertile and can conceive nearly any time of the year. And she has been so for months. But this very dog-like spike in her fertility has left her high strung and guarded. Every time she passes an Akalak she gets the feeling a 'For Rent' sign is stuck across her abdomen. As if they can smell it on her like a perfume. She avoids the Sanctuary dogs to negate their attention. And to keep the other bitches from being pulled into her cycle too, with all the hormones she's throwing at them. She has not asked the staff for help because, quite frankly, its embarrassing. She has only confessed to Gianne in total privacy.

Rhy crosses the main entrance and skirts around the pool with her hands in her pockets. Its right around lunch time, she considers that now would be a good time to grab a some food. Then its off to hole herself up in her quarters to take her medicine and wait for an hour or two for it to work. Its a good a plan as any, and her rumbling stomach only makes her pick up the pace.

And its just as she rounds the corner to the common room that she spies Serrif. She gives him a small wave and breezes by to the kitchen. Cadara is out, but thats ok. She pulls down a plate and piles on a thick slice of bread, cold cut venison, and a generous slash of marmalade.

"Hey Hon, do you want some too? Or I could-", for a second the butter knife hangs forgotten in her grip. "Ah, Serrif? You ok?"

No, thats not the right question. He looks just peachy. He's even wearing that idiot smile that you only find on lovers or the serially optimistic. But when has Serrif ever slouched? Does he even realize he's drooling?

"You've got a little something here", she says, gesturing to the side of her mouth, relative to where Serrif would find a speck of his saliva on his somewhat slack mouth. "Looks like you had a good day, eh? Whats your secret? Finally finish those medical notes?"

She smiles politely, but her mind latches onto one idea of why he would wear such a happy glow. And the thought makes her eye twitch. She vows that if he says he has just bed Gianne she will vault across the counter and remove that vacant smile and his manly tackle with the butter knife.

Ledger :
-5gm for questionable miracle cure
Rhy
Luvanor bitch Kelvic

Words: 133318
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2012, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Almost A Vision

Postby Iris Timandre on November 20th, 2012, 9:00 pm

54th of Fall, 512 A. V.
It was a good day, and for the first time Iris woke up in an amazing mood. She wanted to make herself a productive member of the Sanctuary. It's been nine days since Iris arrived in Riverfall and so far she loved the lifestyle of the land. After exiting her room she started walking some halls.

The Konti stopped dead in her tracks once she saw both Rhy and Serrif just standing there. At first Iris thought it would be a good idea to just walk away from the two. They could have been doing anything and Iris meant anything.

I live with these people now, no need to hide from them. Especially Serrif, hell, he saved my life. Maybe I'll ask him what he's doing today and see if we can spend some time together, the Konti thought to herself. That was a great plan. The small pale woman walked up to both Serrif and Rhy. "Am I getting in the middle of something here?"

Iris turned her head to Rhy for a second shooting her a smile. Positive attitudes equaled positive people around Iris. At least that's what Iris' family used to tell her. Iris began to talk looking in Serrif's direction again. "Sorry to just jump in, Rhy. My apologies, good morning to the both of you. Serrif, I never got the chance to properly thank you for sav-" Getting a closer look at Serrif he didn't look like his normal self. Something was wrong. Iris got scared.

"Um, Rhy, what in Laviku's name is wrong with Serrif? Why does he look like that?" The Konti had her left eyebrow raised waiting for either Serrif or Rhy to start explaining what happened. Were they hiding something? Did they know something Iris didn't?
Iris Timandre
I hate you.

Words: 71783
Joined roleplay: September 11th, 2011, 9:20 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Almost A Vision

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on November 28th, 2012, 5:25 pm

“So odd….” The brilliant colors on the walls and in the stone were going away now…but he still felt good…or he thought he did.

He looked down and there was Rhy looking up at him like something was wrong. She had a butter knife in her hand and was obviously getting some food of some kind. He wiped the drool from the side of his mouth where Rhy pointed it out. And shook his head a little as if he was waking up from some kind of haze.

“I was taking medical notes…” He admitted as he brought his mind back to here gently…It was like his mind was wandering a little more than usual right now. He needed to bring it back in so he could keep his mind about him; even though it seemed to be escaping him right now.

“Yeah…I’m ok” Or so he believed as he gained composure again and straightened out his posture. In his hand was a little carrier full of medicine dosed out into single amounts.

“I think I may need a little more medicine. Could’ve sworn…” He said as he looked at the walls again as if they were missing something extraordinary. He swore he had seen brilliant colors in the walls, things he had never taken the time to see before now. But on closer inspection there was nothing there at all…why? This was making little sense to him now. Maybe he was just seeing things? That was possible.

“Yeah Iris I am ok, I guess all those nights of no sleep and late working in the lab are catching up with me.” Yeah he could brush it off as that for the time being but truth was that there was much more going on here.

It was interesting to see that Iris was so worried about him; it was clear in her expression. It was actually a little startling to him as well. He hadn’t felt this way in a long time; the last time he remembered feeling anything near this was when the vision water had clouded his vision. Was he having a relapse or something like that? It had been a long time after drinking the water that he had visions. So was it possible that it had come back now? Was the water again causing his vision to go hazy?: Causing him to see things that weren’t there? Superimposing things on reality mixing what was real with what was not?

He looked worried as the reality of that sunk into him. What if he was having a remission of that? What would he do now? How would he act? Was he a threat to these people? He sighed and ran his hand through his hair as he downed another vial of the mystery cure to help and ebb the visions that were likely going to come. Maybe they would not come now? Would or could this medicine help prevent the visions from coming? He didn’t know but he sure hoped so…if not he was a threat to everyone here.

That reality made his stomach turn into a knot. He didn’t want to be a threat, but he had no idea what was going to happen to him. “I’m afraid I may not be as well as I think I am…” He admitted as he sat down on the ground his back against the wall.

He sat the medicine tray beside him carefully making sure not to spill any of the contents. The medicine would likely be the only thing that could save him from the onslaught of visions he was going to have. He felt fine, but at the same time it seemed his eyes were betraying him. Making him see things that weren’t really here…which was a scary proposition especially since he knew what he was likely going to see. But since he knew what would happen he was now better prepared for what he would face.

“I think I am having a relapse from the vision water I drank while in Mura…I’ve started to see things…it starts small…like everything else.” He sighed a little and looked up at Rhy and Iris. He wasn’t scared; no he was ready for whatever his mind threw at him next. Maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as what he remembered…or maybe it would be worse.

“I don’t know what will happen next.” He admitted knowing that his mind was likely going to fall into the unknown again. He had no idea what kind of memories it would dig up in his subconscious, because there locked away were memories he didn’t know he had. And thoughts that he kept hidden…none would know what he had there. None but a dreamwalker….one marked by Nysel; and maybe some of the fortune tellers marked by Avalis. But for most others only his scars would tell the story of what could possibly be hidden in the dark recesses of his mind.

He wasn’t going to admit he was afraid, that fear was shaking him on the inside. No he remained composed…strong and resolute in facing whatever came next. That was all he could do; he couldn’t cower in the presence of his own life memories. Even if he had no idea what ghosts and skeletons could come out of it. And gods knew that all kinds of monsters and demons lay hidden there. It was only a matter of time before he found out what he had done and what his past really was. He wasn’t the supposed saint he was now. He had been a horrible man, one driven by primal fear and retaliation. But his circumstances had made him that man.

And now he did his best to forget that; but it seemed it would come back now in vivid detail. He didn’t know what would happen…and this honestly scared him because he was a threat to everyone’s safety. A true threat and he needed to be handled.

“We need to do something about this…something about me.”

A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Almost A Vision

Postby Rhy on December 2nd, 2012, 2:40 am

Rhy follows Serrif's line of sight as he stares at the wall. What's he looking at? Cadara would do that sometimes, just sit and stare at the wall. Mind you, Rhy would also sometimes stare and growl at empty space to freak Gianne out when its dark. But she has the sneaking suspicion that Serrif is not trying to pull their leg.

He downs a vial of medicine and sits with his back to the wall, going from bright-eyed and happy to bright-eyed and nervous. The Kelvic shoots Iris a look and puts down the knife, coming around the kitchen to kneel by the prone human. "How am I suppose to know? You're the healer." She feels Serrif's forehead with the back of her hand, holding his chin so he looks her in the eye. "What do you mean 'vision water', Serrif?" His forehead isn't hot, so it can't be some delusional fever. "Well, if you're going to have some sort of supernatural breakdown then at least lets get you off the floor to do it. Help me out here, Iris."

She motions the Konti over and shoves her shoulder under Serrifs arm, signalling Iris to do the same. And together the two women succeed in half leading, half dragging the large man back to his room. Manoeuvring him so he is sitting back on his bed.

Rhy leaves Iris to tend to the human for a minute as she goes to see what he was carrying in those glass vials he had. The tray holds a few glass phials with small doses of a clear fluid. She opens one and sniffs experimentally, and nearly drops it when she starts at the smell. Its exactly what she bought in town this morning! She pulls out her own phial from her waist, tipping it this way and that in the light. If a healer like Serrif had it then it must be ok, she reasons. But then again, he has some strange fascination with poisoning himself with home brewed concoctions.

With a sigh she moves back to the kitchen, this time grabbing a jar of honey, a large bowl and a wooden spoon. Finally a handful of cotton balls and charcoal and water are pilfered from the clinic above the common room. She might know nothing of medicine, but living first as a starving dog in a port city and then in a fortress full of healers she has at least some knowledge of getting rid of harmful substances and foreign objects.

With her bundle in tow she makes her way back to Serrif's room, bumping the door open with her hip.
Rhy
Luvanor bitch Kelvic

Words: 133318
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2012, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes