High level Glyphing and Voiding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Vlodaru Ceiba on November 28th, 2012, 6:31 am

So heres my dilemma. Can a trigger on a Glyph be activated long distance?

Trigger A in Syliras would activate a Glyph in Kalinor.

And if so, if a PC had a home in Syliras and Kalinor. Could he then, with a barrier around the door in the Syliras home, make a Glyph that activates a Void connected to an achor, simultaneously activating a similar Glyph and Void connected to the same anchor in the Kalinor home? Thus creating a reusable portal from Syliras to Kalinor.
Vlodaru Ceiba
Player

Words: 12530
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 10:51 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on November 28th, 2012, 6:36 am

hey Vlodaru!

From the Lore we know that the God of Travel/Doors and passageways is currently dead, so void travel is currently impossible (that is what I have gotten from the lore and have been told myself). Feel free to review the lore yourself and of course I concede to the higher authority :D

Evalin
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vick on November 28th, 2012, 6:42 am

I think I can answer this -

Taken from Jaleri world:
It takes exceptional magical skills to pull off this kind of Summoning. The portal must incorporate multiple layers and advanced protective Glyphing just to survive long enough to contact Jaleri's surface. Moreover, unless the user is planning on sacrificing himself in the process, he must make suitable preparations for remote activation through other magic disciplines or appropriate timing glyphs.

Now this tells me that Glyphing could be used from far away or have a timer on it.

You could at high levels (expert or master) make the trigger go off when another goes off acting like a fail safe. So yes your idea can work.

Also void travel can be done - IT takes a Master level to open the portals and than hurry in but I can't seem to find the right page that talked about it. I think I talked to Tarot about this back in 2010 in chat one day but I would not worry about it until you are a master or close to one and make a HD ticket to try it.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Vick on November 28th, 2012, 6:43 am

Also the void travel in theory they could only do it in such small amounts that it would be a waste of djed for long distance travel.
Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Vlodaru Ceiba on November 28th, 2012, 6:50 am

Ok. So if a trigger can be timed, I could set traps with it? On the same note of voiding and glyphing, one could time a trigger to activate a Glyph on the floor to open a Void and a different one outside both connected to the same anchor to theoretically transfer someone from inside to the outside. (along with whatever else is in the room too most likely, considering everything works fine)

And if I understand Glyphing right, using a glyph does not use Djed because it is stored inside the Glyph. Correct? So how would it be a waste considering the Djed has already been used to create the void in the first place.
Vlodaru Ceiba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vick on November 28th, 2012, 6:53 am

Let me put it this way. If you are a Master at any skill more often the case will be "Well he is a master so sure that seems legit." will come up more than once. If you are a master with the skills and want to try it out but not sure than well work on them and gain the lores. The game really won't stop you from your goals unless it breaks the game.
Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Vlodaru Ceiba on November 28th, 2012, 6:58 am

Awsome! Wizard PC here I come lol! but wait..one more Question, promise lol.

Can a trigger be used as an order for an animated object?

For example, you animate the lock on your door so when trigger A is activated, it locks. But when trigger B is activated it unlocks. (for the clumsy Wizard who lost his room key and has no money to get it replaced)

And at what level(s) could this be done?
Vlodaru Ceiba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vick on November 28th, 2012, 7:01 am

Well that won't be glyphing as you know but just animation and odds are around Competent level should be fine. Or even novice if you program it with your voice on open or close I would think.
Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes