Completed A message from a dead man

Where Arianthe finds herself in the Kelp Bar, looking for one of the barmaids.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A message from a dead man

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 8th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Time: 3rd of Winter 512 AV - Late Afternoon
Where: The Kelp Bar
Tagged: Open

Arianthe did not usually wander around dressed as a man, since her usual dealings did not make it necessary to, but it was now winter and the streets got darker a whole lot earlier - she wished to avoid trouble - and she knew that entering the Kelp Bar as herself would only lead to pre-mentioned trouble.

Earlier that afternoon, she had dressed herself in newly bought dark burgundy red velvet breeches and sleeveless doublet, simple but well cut, white shirt and shiny knee-high leather brown boots. She had bandaged back her chest, and taken the trouble to tightly pincurl her long hip-length hair close to her head, so close that it was almost painful at first, so that a wig of shoulder-length brown hair, cut in the fashion, could be placed over the top. To top all this off, she carefully pencilled in a light stubble, congratulating herself on the delicacy with which she did it so that it was wholly believable. In fact, on the whole, she passed as a believable male, the severity of her profile helped as did her strong bone structure, though there was no denying that it would be a feminine male. As a man, she maybe looked slightly younger too and she couldn't help finding herself strangely handsome, though that was probably her vanity speaking.

It was in this state of dress that she found herself in front of the Kelp Bar, and noticing that she looked a good deal smarter than most of the clientele, undid the silver buttons of the doublet so that she looked more casual with it open nonchalantly. She entered, nothing about her betraying her nerves, and though Arianthe attracted quite a few looks from people who obviously analysed all unknowns, she was absolutely certain that none of them knew she was a woman.

She sat down at the bar, and ordered a Kelp Beer, fully intending not to drink it. She had come here to find someone, not a commotion

Last edited by Arianthe Swansong on December 19th, 2012, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beauty, Truth and Love will prevail, if only we stayed still and happy long enough to let them...
Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Words: 98235
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Reaver Riatal on December 10th, 2012, 6:04 am

Within the pleasant atmosphere of the simple, but pleasant bar. A young man found himself intoxicated with the idea of finding some entertainment. Standing quite tall at a full 6'6, his slim body hidden by a long read coat that had seen some use. Eyes of a pure blue that gazed past what he saw, knowledge within them though lacking the will for practical use. Black hair strutting about his head and falling off. Slight stubble had graced his chin as the time began to move closer to the eve. Hands clad in black leather and still cold from the air held a cup of a rather interesting brew. This young man had only recently arrived in town, and of course, the bar had caught his attention. Although he found himself sitting slightly disappointed, the beer he had ordered tasted fine enough. But the bar paled in comparison to the ones he had explored back in Syliras, a small tinge of homesickness struck him. That is until a new patron entered the bar, his attention was quick to turn. And a smile flew across his face, bright enough to light up his dismal little corner. Many of the patrons seems as dullards to him. Perhaps this new man would entertain him a while?

As he drew his eyes a little closer he realized the man looked quite young. Perhaps boy would be a better word, and he looked rather girlish as well. Offering only a simple shrug at the thought he figured that perhaps this boy may have something smart to say. Or at least something interesting. And he wouldn't find that out remaining strangers. Standing tall from his little corner he picked up his cup and trotted over. Long legs clad in black cotton as his long strides took him to the boy. From the looks he figured the lad must be out for his first drink. And as he recalled, a first drink is best shared with company. His cheerful smile trying to gain a little extra charm before sitting down and opening his mouth. "Why hello there, care for some company my young sir? A drink is often best when shared when there is conversation." In the name of the gods did this boy ever look strange. Though he suspected there to be stranger folk in the world. Silently he kept feeling his curiosity poke at him. By Eyris's wisdom what was it about this person that was bugging him? Perhaps a few drinks and a good conversation will get the lad to spill some secrets.
"I like to entertain myself through whatever means I see fit. If you find these means funny as well then please laugh along~ I'd rather have someone apologize after having a good time~" - Reaver Riatal
Reaver Riatal
Self Proclaimed King of Fire

Words: 130938
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2012, 11:00 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 10th, 2012, 6:46 pm

"Why hello there, care for some company my young sir? A drink is often best when shared when there is conversation."

Arianthe looked up at the tall man, slightly startled, but just as quickly, her features composed themselves and she found herself gesturing to the stool next to her.

"With the understanding that each of us shall be buying our own drinks for, and I do not mean to offend you in any way and am merely cautious, I am sure there would be many a person in this bar willing to try and exploit my limited funds... please do, it would be a pleasure." she had lowered her usually low voice further and was smiling at the man. From what it looked like, the barmaid in question was not going to appear any time soon and she could use the company, "My name is A-" quick as a flash she turned the tide of her momentary lapse, "Atticus."

She now turned towards the drink placed on the counter in front of her and, deciding that a drop couldn't possibly hurt her, took a swig from it - in manly fashion - unfortunately, the speed with which she had done so making her cough slightly.

Beauty, Truth and Love will prevail, if only we stayed still and happy long enough to let them...
Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Postby Reaver Riatal on December 10th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Keeping the smile plastered to his face clear and bright as day he looked on. His eyes looking right into the young lads. Curious and readily to be entertained as his black gloved hands raised his cup to drink. Carefully he listened to the words the young man spoke. He'd not stoop to taking the poor boy's money, he had plenty himself. Enough to drive every man, woman, and the child next to him under the table. He could do that, but his mizas where something of a limited quantity. Until he confirmed the rumors he heard about the University of Zeltiva being actually wizard friendly. He'd need to save every miza he had. Because besides the use of djed, his vocabulary, and his intelligence. He had little ways to make himself a living and practice his magic. Though it'd be a dream of his to play with fire all day long and get paid for it. Unfortunately from his experiences, the many whispers, and his father's tales. It would be a very bad idea to clearly advertise his ability to command djed into fire. Though it would make for a damn fun day, he had better things to do than to be locked away for arson. Well at least for now.

After listening to the boy he felt the corner's of his lips spread a little more. The way the younger talked inspired him and made that delightful bubbling feel in his gut. He was entertained and more than happy he had found someone actually intelligent to talk to! Finally! Someone who isn't a dullard and can actually talk like a real person! Success at last! His face turned into one of pride and joy. Though he quickly regained his composure, and stood upright again. Listening once more to the boy speak his name. He found the pause quite curious, a secret perhaps? It mattered little to him in all honesty. He found that some criminals where curious, and at the boy's age he was probably just a well known pick pocket. Criminals where also quite fun sometimes! Especially when you get to light them on fire when they take you from the bar, drag you to the back and try to take your money! Good memories, but his mind shook off the thoughts and returned to the present. Looking at the young Atticus, watching him take a swig of his drink. And laughing rather hard as the young boy choked upon the fluid. "Easy, easy. Take it slow, if you die you make a poor show." He spoke the rhyme joyously, giving Atticus' back a good pat with his black gloved hand. Returning it to his side he raised his cup.

"Now to introduce myself! Yes! My name is Reaver Riatal, I'm the K-" He caught himself. And not a moment too soon, the title he was about to say was meant for friends. Close friends at that. The last thing he wanted to do, in a bar with this many patrons was reveal his more magically inclined side. Again the idea of being beaten and locked for arson was not appealing right now. He coughed to hide his mistake. "Ahh excuse me, I'm the kind traveler from Syrilas. I'm new to the town, your the first person I've met with intellect enough to hold my focus. Long story not told, its a delight to meet you" He smiled and felt eyes on him, turning to look at his back he found an unpleasant sight. He had spoken a little loud and some patrons where casting unfriendly glances at him. Quickly turning back to face the bar he took another drink from his cup. As he set his cup down his face became twisted with disgust then it turned to one of enjoyment. "Ugh, I cannot decipher the mystery of this drink. It tastes so strange and yet not, this requires further investigating." He took another drink trying decide it for himself.
"I like to entertain myself through whatever means I see fit. If you find these means funny as well then please laugh along~ I'd rather have someone apologize after having a good time~" - Reaver Riatal
Reaver Riatal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 10th, 2012, 11:19 pm

"Easy, easy. Take it slow, if you die you make a poor show."

Arianthe smiled her gratitude but the rhyme had irked her slightly in a way, it was a case of too few syllables then too many in a basic rhyming structure. So many things were crossing her mind at once - the unsatisfying nature of the rhyme and the vileness of the beer above all, that she almost missed her new acquaintance's introduction of himself. She then turned her attention to him. He was tall, very tall to her eyes, though this was not so apparent when he was sat down. He had a way of expressing himself which was rather eloquent, something which pleased her infinitely. She was also of the mind that he could not be an altogether sensible man and this pleased her more. Could one call him eccentric? Probably not from the little she knew of him up to this point, but she was in very high hopes of finding him so. Nothing quite amused and gratified her in the way that folly did.
She took another sip of the drink, this time a great deal smaller, and allowed the man to speak. She noted the slight hesitation and wondered what he was hiding, unless he was not hiding anything and he had simple had to wait for a second while his brain caught up with the loquacious nature of his speech. She smiled.

"My modesty beseeches that I defend the intellectual capacities of those you have met up until now by demeaning my own, but I am really not of patience to today. I am gratified that you think me of acceptable intelligence and knowledge, even after so brief an acquaintance, to interest you and can only state quite candidly that I am afraid that you cater too brilliantly to my vanity and pride."
At this, she looked around and saw a couple of hostile faces. She turned back to her drinking companion.

"And Kelp Beer is notoriously..." she could not find the words. Neither disgusting nor vile really fitted the expression of what her acquaintances told her, "Well-known. You would not have had it in Syliras."

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Postby Reaver Riatal on December 11th, 2012, 8:36 am

Reaver had to pause between drinks and raise his brow at Atticus, the boy looked fairly simple. But his manner of talking betrayed him, he was starting to have trouble believing this child was short on money. He had only heard the families of greater wealth speak as such. Though his own family was by far better off than most, they where still labeled as poor. This did not stop Reaver from seeking education, a library is open to everyone after all. Atticus was truly holding his attention, he was starting to care less and less about the pointed stares to his back. Though he'd inquire about his greater grasp upon the common language at a different time. Reaver's sharp blue eyes nearly sparkled with curiosity towards Atticus. Placing a red coated arm upon the counter and leaning upon it, he let his gloved hand settle upon his face. His dark stubble brushing along the ebony leather. This boy was very interesting indeed, perhaps if they where able to talk in private. He may be able to gain the information he sought, however a better idea struck him. A guide! Yes! This boy claimed to be low upon funds, surely he'd not refuse a simple offer to show him around the town. With this thought he was practically bursting with excitement. Sitting up properly he gave a more charming smile, he'd work his way up to his request. A little suspense for himself to enjoy.

"My lad I merely speak what I perceive, take the complement for you have earned it in my eyes. As well I am noticing that the taste of this concoction, escapes my ability to describe it in anyway. Though for now I believe I shall drink." He said again and raised his cup to empty it to half, trying to ignore the strange taste as it cascaded down his throat. Letting out a content sigh he set his cup down then faced Atticus once more smiling his same charming smile. "Tell me good Atticus, I suspect you've held residence in this city long enough to be familiar with it? As you are the person who I'd warrant with intellect and as you've said that your coin purse is lighter than most. Would you care to be my guide tomorrow? I'm willing to pay you a reasonable price, and even offer a meal. For as I mentioned I'm still finding my footing with the new surroundings. And a guide would be ever so deeply needed on my part, I only have a small list of places I'd need to know of. So what do you say?" He smiled at the young man. The thought of a guide had occurred to him before, but when he spoke with a guard. That delightful idea left his mind faster than a Drykas on their best mount.

He decided to finish off his cup, it wasn't doing much just sitting there on the counter. And being intoxicated often lent help to a more joyous time. The kelp beer was surprisingly potent, it made up for the odd taste. As he tipped the cup back he followed with it. Soon he was slowly raising the front legs of his stool off the ground and was heading back. However his long legs caught on the bar lip, hurting his thighs and knees a bit. Pushing up on his knees he brought himself forward settling on all fours after a bit of rocking. A simple trick a bar fly back home taught him when he was but a lad himself. However that bar fly managed to use one foot and have his body merely a foot from the ground. His was only a cheep and lame imitation, but still quite fun. Though as he thought it over in his head, he realized it was a trick to perform once here. The stool he sat on had seen better days. Now with an empty cup he thought of ordering a second round. However he found himself entertained with the empty cup as he idly played with it. Awaiting Atticus' response with almost baited breath.
Reaver Riatal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 11th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Arianthe considered the man's offer for a minute or two, taking a few more sips of her beer which would not be beneficiary to her making a sensible decision but she felt she needed to in order to keep up appearances. She realised he was waiting for an answer but she did not feel she could be precipitated into one. She had a slight tendency of ignoring the presence of other people in her life and keeping to herself for, she felt, that was the best way of avoiding conflict, heartache and complications. However, his offering money certainly did not fall on deaf ears - she had not been lying, she needed money... especially if she wished to continue having the leisure time to study and practise her perfumery.
He was looking at her, and she noted that his eyes were really very blue. It really couldn't hurt, thought she, to accept the offer. Also, she was certainly not one to turn down a free meal for her own cooking skills left much to be desired.

"Of course. It would be an honour for me."

Yes, she thought, the man would probably turn out to be a pleasant companion to show around the city. She had found him a little strange but that was far from displeasing her, for she was of the personal opinion that as long as the strangeness was in a warm, open way, people were generally the better for it. She looked at him tip back on his stool and was filled with sudden urge to imitate him, not that she did for he seemed to know what he was doing and if she tried, it would undoubtedly be reckless. Anyway, hanging back like that, she risked her wig slipping slightly.

"What sort of places would you like to see?" she asked with a smile, "Though I am by no means a seasoned guide, I have lived in Zeltiva all my life so I should be able to do relatively well for you."

Arianthe had almost finished the Kelp Beer, and was feeling decidedly less in control for it - not that anyone would have been able to tell. She was not sure if she liked it, though she certainly liked the slight lightness of head which was having its affect on her. She did not really have the opportunity to drink much alcohol, though she would buy a bottle of wine every now and then to drink over the course of a few days.

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Postby Reaver Riatal on December 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Ordering a second cup of kelp beer he smiled, one quickly came to him and he was about to take another large sip of it. The delightful buzz in his head almost demanding he do so. But he realized he had missed her answer before. Blinking for a moment his mind quickly made the connections. Letting out an infectious laugh as he wrapped an arm around Atticus and clinked cups with the boy. As quick as he was to embrace the lad he left his side just as so. His hands now to himself as he took a larger drink than normal. His lips spreading his cheeks, showing his charming smile once more. "To a prosperous adventure in a town to which shall not remain a mystery for long!" He paused with a thoughtful face, realizing his words didn't quite articulate what he wished to say. Though the message was clear enough he supposed. "Ahh by Tavasi's green eyes I'd say this is going to be a very fun start to an other wise would be boring escapade without you my dear boy! But to answer your question-" He paused and quickly brought a gloved hand to his mouth, burping into it and pardoning himself. With renewed vigor and freshened breath he continued to speak. "Ah right, I require knowledge of where I am able to procure parchment and the means to write upon it. Where food is ascertained, and if there's a restaurant in this town I may frequent, if not I'll need to find someone who can cook. A place where a I may gain a job if I am to lead a stable life here. And finally, the University is of my most keen interest."

At the last mention a rare occurrence happened, Reaver's eyes focused solely on Atticus's face. Though the blue within them was still quite warm, the seriousness of his face showed an unusual professionalism. He held his gaze for a moment before it broke and Reaver was smiling as his foolish self once more. "And as a rondevu we can meet here tomorrow a few chimes after breakfast, say around the tenth chime, give or take a few bells?" He chuckled lightly having a feeling that one of them may be late for their little meet. Its nothing to be terribly ashamed of, being late it happened to both the best and the worst. Somethings in this life couldn't be helped. Giving a final dying giggle of eager happiness he moved to his cup. Drinking down more than a solid quarter of his cup. The buzz in his head growing as he could feel his sense of judgement fade a little. Though that did little to stop him from taking another sip of his drink. Blinking as he looked around he felt the stares of the seasoned patrons. He was beginning to think his time may be best spent elsewhere.

Looking to Atticus he played with his half full cup as he felt his nerves steadily worsen. Sighing lightly he looked over at Atticus giving a regretful groan. "Atticus there was something that I did indeed forget to mention. I require lodging for the evening and perhaps for the next few days as well. The atmosphere here is, is no longer pleasant as the patrons seem to not like me all that much." He looked at his beer and downed the rest of it. He felt a little weirder than normal, the beer was defiantly more potent than what he was used to. It would be best perhaps to stop at two, just to be safe. He looked around and felt his hair flop around his face. A few strands smacking his left eye, he was visibly getting nervous. A bit of sweat touched his brow as one of his black eyebrows began to twitch lightly. He was used to fun atmospheres filled with cheer and delight. The small whispers had him on edge as his mind, his hands produced a bit of res inside of his own gloves. More of a small and thin gel at the tips of his fingers like a nervous sweat. "Yes I do believe finding a place to reside is currently proving to look a very viable option. And one I'd wish to have carried out rather immediately." Reaching over he tugged on Atticus's white shirt sleeve, a little encouragement to his request.
Reaver Riatal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 14th, 2012, 10:05 am

Arianthe clinked her drink politely and quietly listened to all his requests, her mind quickly measuring up her acquaintance. He seemed rather intelligent so she assumed that his eagerness to see the University was because he wished to study there, for at least a season.

"I think I can find you all of that." she said cautiously then, biting the bullet, "Are you here to be a student?" She did not wait for an answer, "I am a student - I can safely say that it is the finest educative establishment in all of Mizahar. After all, that is what Zeltiva is famed for."

She paused and felt him look at her intently for a moment, something which unsettled her slightly and it was quite beyond her power to prevent herself from flushing. She looked away, hoping he had not noticed for, though his blue eyes looked rather perceptive, he already appeared more than a little merry.

"I would be happy to 'rendez-vous' at that time, Sir." said Arianthe with a little laugh.

Reaver did not look very comfortable, Arianthe thought, he looked rather fidgety and even nervous - quite changed in a fashion. She observed him sharply for what cause had he to act with such anxiety? It seemed he must be hiding something, or he thought something dangerous was about to happen. Whatever it was, she did not want a part of it. She thought she was about to change her mind about the whole deal then shook her head. She acted rather too silly all the time, always behaving pessimistically and believing people to have alterior motives. Arianthe was now filled with a certain sense of pity... something was weighing down on him and ruining his good mood, and she did not think that it was solely the alcohol.

"I can find you lodging. It all depends on what quality of establishment you wish to stay in now."
Finishing her beer, she almost missed what he said and, before she could collect her thoughts, he had tugged on her sleeve .

"Oh..." she was here for a reason, she remembered. She should not get distracted for it was very important. Then again, at the same time, the barmaid did not look like she would appear any time soon. Arianthe knew that she would have to come again. "Alright. We should go."
She pulled the cloak back on and turned to Reaver, repeating her question about the quality of the establishment she wished to stay in - narrowly avoiding the question of his finances since she knew little of his pride and did not want to affront it.

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Postby Reaver Riatal on December 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Relaxing a little visibly at the young boy's words he found himself a little at ease, though that didn't stop his nervous stares. As he wrapped his red coat around him he fixed his black hair, blue eyes darting around the room as he stood up. His full height the only imposing feature he had as his limbs where long and thin, clearly an academic and not an athlete. Looking to his smaller and effeminate companion he could feel his suspicion in his mind. The alcohol running in his body however wouldn't let him put pieces together. Having such trouble he simply gave up on it and shook his head. Trying to focus upon his new friend, and more than glade to hear that what he spoke of was nothing but good news. Something else that soothed his unsteady nerves all the more. Looking down at the boy he took a breath calming down, now that it was clear to the patrons they where departing. He noticed a lot of them had begun to ignore him and returned to their own conversations. Goodness he was starting to miss Syliras, there at least it was a little more cheery. And the taverns where by far less run down. His mind snapped to attention as he heard the boy repeat one of his previous questions.

"Wonderful, right, yes some simple common accommodations would do me wonders my good Atticus. Again I must thank you for, for assisting me with my pursuits." The intoxication was doing wonders for his speech, perhaps it would be prudent to stop drinking so often. He had to pause stone still, he really must have been drunk in order to have thought such a ridiculous thing. Quickly he shook his head his black hair flopping about once more clearing his vision. The piercing blue aimed right for the exit in sight, the front door. In the name of Aquiras he had never been so happy to see the large wooden rectangle that would allow him escape. Reaver walked forward, his boots making strong thumps upon the poor wooden floor of the Kelp Bar. He was heading right for the door with swift long legs. Opening it he paused remembering his companion he awaited for the younger boy to catch up. Holding the door open for him and letting the cold breeze blow into the bar. The displeased patrons shouted threats and to close the door. Reaver promptly ignored them not shutting the door until Atticus was clear of its swing. Once he was he let it go and gave a small kick to shut the infernal thing.

Giving a light stumble he quickly got to his feet and steadied himself. Quick to discover that yes he was indeed inhibited. And that he should be very, very, very careful about moving and making decisions. Turning to Atticus with a smile as friendly as he could in his merry state. Though his mind was foggy from the booze he at least managed to keep most of his composure. Or at the very last appear to in this case. Managing to stand upright and walk with slightly sturdy steps he stopped. Looking to Atticus he realized the boy was to lead the way not him. Stopping he awaited the young man to take the lead. "I hate to impose upon you. My good boy, but I feel I may require a bit of support. Since my legs seem to have decided that they no longer need to listen to me. If you don't wish such I understand, you are a rather, well I don't know how to say this any other way. But not masculine definitely suites the bi-bill. Pardon any rudeness or insult you may have taken from my words. I think, that I am drunk." Reaver had lost more than just the control over his legs. His mouth seemed to be running amuck on its own as well. Though he stood on shaken legs as he awaited the boys answer and lead.
Reaver Riatal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next