[University-Wright Library] Professor Stonemiller (Mod)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 28th, 2010, 4:10 am

74th Day of Spring, 510 AV

A steady rhythm of people flicking in and out of Wright Library provided an uplifting sensation within Rigil Kentaurus as he walked into the rather regal library. His blue cloak flicked along with the wind until at last he entered the building, lowering his hood which revealed his facial features. His eyes were steady, taking everything in until at last he dipped his head to the people passing him.

A few queries from him regarding the location of this Stonemiller pointed him towards the lecturer. Rigil’s footsteps were slow, muffled by the lush carpet beneath him. At last, the young Ethaefal found the lecturer and he paused, somewhat hesitant about whether to approach him or not.

Taking a step forward, he cleared his throat.

“Professor Stonemiller, Sir?” he enquired, looking at the man intently. He paused for a moment, not sure whether to continue but then he went on to speak. “Rigil Kentaurus. I was informed to approach you regarding my prospective studies here. You see, I am interested in learning Projection Studies and the basics of Auristics.”

He scratched his chin, his eyebrows narrowing down into a frown, his boots tapping upon the carpet which beat up a muffled rhythmic sound.

“And I am also interested in Philosophy and History as well, Sir,” he managed to continue speaking. “I have experience as a scribe and I have some basic knowledge in Projection.”

He looked at Stonemiller expectantly, tilting his head slightly.
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Words: 40544
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2010, 10:27 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on June 3rd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Professor Stonemiller was an older man; when Rigil found him, he was seated in a plush chair, deeply engrossed in an old, thick book. He did not stir until the Ethaefal spoke. Then the man looked up, his eyes tired, as if he had been there for a long, long time. He listened as Rigil gave his explanation -- and then didn't immediately say anything at all. The silence, made even more pronounced by the library's vast stillness, might have been awkward, though perhaps not to one of the fallen.

"An interesting set of studies, Rigil Kentaurus" He placed a velvet bookmark in the volume he had been reading, and then closed it. Like the others in the university, he seemed perpetually unfazed.

"Before I make any decisions, I must ask you a question, my friend. Magic is a powerful, powerful thing, and both projection and auristics are powerful manifestations of it. Something, intense indeed must have pushed you to study and practice it. Do you yourself know what it is, sir?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on June 10th, 2010, 1:11 am

When Rigil stared at Professor Stonemiller, he studied the man with an intense gaze, taking in his rather regal bearings, all supplemented by the assortments of objects that he surrounded himself with. The ethaefal smiled thinly at that, the thought of living like this certainly had its enticements for Rigil. Nodding his head when the old man spoke, he cleared his throat.

He was somewhat taken by surprise by Stonemiller’s question. Something intense? Who ever would think that, he thought to himself? Taking in a deep breath, he flexed his fingers and began to assemble an appropriate response as swiftly as he could.

“I...I want to prove myself, Sir,” he said, his eyes narrowing with that spark of determination seeming to glint. “I fell in the cold waters of Taldera, from the ambrosial existence of the Ukalas. I know that many Ethaefals exist across the lay of the land and we all search for some meaning. Yet...there has to be more. What would Lhex have in store for me, to bring me back to a realm which has only brought me painful memories? So I want to find out and the only way I can is to truly understand the Djed, the Ukalas a whole, the history this world stands on. I need to do this. If I do not, then I am afraid I will lose myself and that is a fear which I cannot bear.”

He looked uncertainly at Stonemiller, unsure if he had said the right words but now they had been immortalised through his spoken lips.

“As I said, I have basic skills in Projection but none in Auristics,” Rigil further explained. “I have a semblance of understanding in history of Pre-Valterrian as well.”
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Words: 40544
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2010, 10:27 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on June 23rd, 2010, 1:54 am

The Professor listened, tapping one finger on the cover of his book. When Rigil had finished, he stood, and motioned with his left hand. "Follow me."

Silently, he walked further into the building. There was a door in one wall; he pulled it open, revealing a staircase leading down. It was dimly lit by strange blue lights that didn't appear to be burning anything.

He walked down at least two floors before pulling another door open. This one revealed a long corridor, lit by the same blue globes. Into this hallway he went, going perhaps twenty feet before he reached a door on his left, which he also opened.

This one showed only a bare room, empty except for a single chair. The Professor sat down in it, then turned his head toward Rigil. "All right then, Rigil Kentaurus. Please give me a basic demonstration of your skills thus far in Projection."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)