Closed The Initiation [Leo]

The practice of forbidden magics

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Eosi on December 29th, 2012, 9:31 pm

The Sanctuary
35th Day of Winter, 512 AV

All the world was muted and soft, as if through the lens of a watercolor. Her footsteps were sluggish and her body felt weak. There was something behind – hot on her heels, a dreadful thing. The clang of metallic laughter rang out and the acrid smell of smoke plagued her senses. Was it fire? No, the black plume that erupted into the air was darkness. Pure and unadulterated evil. It knew Eosi, reached for her. For all her speed she could not run. For all her volume, she could not scream.

Until she did. The sound of her own terror startled her awake. It was a short, breathy shriek. Not enough to alert anyone who might be passing by, but there was no way to be certain. Trembling, the young woman reached up to her forehead, wiping away the dewing sweat. For a moment she memorized the patterns on her ceiling. Detail began flooding in as she adjusted to the new reality. She was due to meet Leo that morning at the Sanctuary. Once he’d mentioned practicing reimancy, she knew she’d ask about it eventually. Eosi had studied some magical theory but never actually attempted it. Overgiving was a very good cause to avoid the art form altogether, but she was disciplined and confident with time she’d be able to control herself.

The nightmare was disorienting. As she rose from her bed, eyes glanced down at her bare flesh. There were a few yellowed marks decorating her chest and thighs, serving as a pleasant reminder. Yes, she was happy. Eosi’s life path had completely altered but significantly for the better. The danger and sacrifice involved had not quite hit her. At that point she was just enjoying the love and fulfillment Leo’s presence brought. With a catlike stretch she surveyed her curving form with pleasure. She’d met her goal of gaining a bit of muscle mass. After combing her hair and meditating a bit, Eosi quickly dressed, pulling on her ebony full cape and emerald dress before sweeping out the door.

The walk was uneventful but as always, beautiful. The Sanctuary was north of Riverfall, fringed by forest. The miles rolled by and despite the chill she was quite warm. As she walked her mind wandered as it was wont to do, her thoughts lingering on the dream. Eosi hadn’t suffered from night terrors since she was a child. It was too out of the ordinary to be dismissed. With her Invalti activated, her mind’s eye lazily scanned the area as she tried to reason through it. Was it the manifestation of some subconscious fear? Rhysol did not scare her necessarily but Eosi was certainly not naive. She knew what the gods were capable of and she’d be a fool not to fear them. Perhaps there was some part of her laid dormant - something vulnerable and long forgotten.

When she happened upon the facility she followed the path into the main courtyard. The sky was somewhat overcast, sporting a pearl gray. It was attractive but disconcerting, as the sun’s light struggled to penetrate the thick cumulus. It seemed deserted. Eosi hadn’t been there but once since her meeting Leo Zaital. It might be considered impolite to call on his chambers directly. Wracked with indecision for once she bit her lip and stood there, warming her hands. Perhaps she’d run into someone who would inform him she was there. What was it about him that made her act so unnaturally coy?

The flicker of movement caused her to turn on her heel. Was that an animal? There was a small flash of scuttling, then nothing more. She must seem incredibly paranoid. Glaring at the empty space, she pivoted back to the front.

Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Leo Varniak on December 30th, 2012, 12:22 am

'Still somewhat confused after the induction speech, we were taking a tour of the Academy dorms with a senior student, when we spotted a robed man crawling down the corridor on all fours. We stared at our senior quizzically. 'Oh, pay him no heed,' he said dismissively, 'we keep him around as a reminder. Never take a Grand Oath while drunk.'

Leo's eyes were devouring an old copy of the classic, 'Magic and I' by Vuld Shaik. He had often wanted to read it in his youth, but for one reason or another he had never gotten around to obtaining a copy until now. At one time, this book had been a ferocious attack on the Alahean magical system; these days, instead of denouncing the dangers of magic, it had oddly turned into an educational tool on that very topic. Such had been the world's decline. Still, the book was quite the interesting read once you separated Shaik's vitriolic satire from the factual content. This thing about the Grand Oath, just to name one, intrigued Leo greatly.

'We spluttered and shook and shivered the way young lads do. Then one of us - certainly not I - found it in himself to ask the obvious question. What's a Grand Oath? The senior folded his arms across his chest and gave us this smug little smile. Do you already hate our minor character? Well, he dies before the end and I certainly never mourned him afterwards. The answer he gave, however, may very well be worth mentioning. 'A Grand Oath', he said, 'is a promise made to the Ukalas, you fools. Written in Glyphs and spoken to the gods. Utterly unbreakable. Don't go around making promises you can't keep. You never know who's listening.'

Interesting. Leo had never heard of this possibility offered by the art of Glyphing. There was so much he still did not know. To bind one's very free will with a promise to the universe. How terrifying a prospect for any man or woman. Who may want to undergo such a ritual? Still, his mind burned for the knowledge of it. He knew the answer did not lie within these pages; Shaik had been a mediocre mage to begin with, and certainly not one to spread deadly information to the vulnerable masses. Just knowing this thing existed would have to do for now.

Leo looked up from the book and assessed the sun's position in the cloudy sky. It was almost time for their appointment. He closed the volume, not bothering with a bookmark, and adjusted the belt of his trousers. He still didn't feel entirely comfortable about this, but he had found out, much to his dismay, he was completely unable to say no when Eosi Barlowe was the one doing the asking. She had so many... arguments, and one or the other would always get through in the end. A part of him still wanted to keep her out of the most dangerous aspects of his life, though the very notion sounded foolish to his ears. They were so interconnected that one couldn't really tell where he ended and where she began. What he did, she did.

He stepped out of his chambers in the Sanctuary, remembering Kavala's words when he had spoken to her about needing a safe place for a Reimancy induction. A Reimancer herself, the Konti had provided her fortress with exactly the kind of place they needed. An inner circle; protected, though not necessarily safe. Of course there was the matter of this being Leo's first time performing the ritual. The echoes in the fire of his dreams as a child had instructed him on what to do, but he was still untested. He wished he could have had someone without such deep attachments as his first student. He already knew what her first element would be, and she had no protection from it whatsoever, at least for now.

Breathing Cyphrus' morning air, he made his way out and stood lazily against a wall, enjoying the anticipation of meeting his love once more despite the apprehension. He actually hid behind one of the structures as she approached, wondering what had taken over him. He'd never been the type to play much before now. He instantly noticed that she looked tense, strangely so. Was she afraid? Nervous? Had all the talk about enemies and deadly danger gotten to her core at last? Still, she looked very good indeed in feminine clothes. He stepped out just as she turned around, as if chasing imaginary enemies, so he would be the first thing she saw as she recovered. He was uncombed as ever.

"Welcome to the Sanctuary!" he called out with a grin, trying to win over her nervousness. "Are you interested in one of our animals?"

Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Eosi on December 30th, 2012, 1:44 am

There he was, as charming as ever. "Welcome to the Sanctuary!" He called out to her. Disarmed, she couldn’t resist the oncoming glare. "Are you interested in one of our animals?" If he were to love her wholly, he’d take the good with the bad. ”I think I see one I’m interested in,” she replied pointedly. ”Leo Zaital, have you heard of the comb? It’s a marvelous invention.” Indeed her hands yearned toward one at the sight of his unkempt locks. Still, her ire could never last. Instead she laughed, shaking her head. ”You nearly gave me a start. How are you always surprising me?” As she spoke, she approached. Coming within a few feet, she again planted herself.

”It is good to see you again, love.” This time, she smoldered. How could she resist his boyish charm? Ivak had blessed her times over with the appearance of the mysterious young man. Leo was the thing she’d never dreamed existed. Yet he stood before her plainly, grinning like a fool. ”How I love you,” she breathed. Sometimes there was no other words to speak. The days that kept them apart had been maddening. Still, to be in his space filled the void as if it’d never been there at all. A few short steps forward, putting her within inches. Leaning up on the balls of her feet, Eosi planted a kiss on the broad plane of his cheek. It was a shy lover’s greeting. As if the word had existed in her vocabulary previous.

”So you’d be instructing me then? I’m eager to please.” Her eyes were a muddied green, bright irises glistening as fallen stars. ”If I do well, I’ll expect a reward. Though there is none greater to look upon you.” With a roguish wink, she added: ”Clothed or otherwise.” The god of fertility when nude, she’d be damned before she’d forget their first night together. Oh he’d been eager to please once too. Perhaps in time she’d pay it forward. Luck staying as it was, they’d have Tanroa on their side in that regard.

”Lead on then, my dear.” She extended one arm as he had on their first day, to walk entwined. In motion, she lapsed into thoughtful silence. The nightmare would be something he recognized in the expanse of her heart. The fear lingered there, now shifting into apprehension. She hoped it would not plague him. Instead she chose to explain. ”My dreams have decided to rebel as of late.” It was difficult to speak about such weakness. ”I do not know this person that stands beside you anymore. The darkness claws at me during the night. Insomnia has been replaced with something far more sinister, I fear.” Truthfully, there was no helping it. She’d moved from the proverbial frying pan to the fire.

”How have you fared?” Eosi decided to change tack. She abhorred focusing on herself in such a way.

Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Leo Varniak on December 31st, 2012, 12:33 am

The Azenth's expression instantly lit up with joy upon hearing his love's voice, even though it was a scolding of sorts. Leo put on his more innocent front, patting his unruly hair into something that should have been a little more orderly, except it wasn't, really. If she wanted him combed, she would have to take the initiative herself and take a comb to him. It would be a close encounter to be sure - close and dangerous, and if Leo had his way, she would mess up her hair rather than fix his. "You'd be surprised to know," he flashed a quick grin at her question. It was a fluid thing, morphing into a fond smile as Eosi approached. He had missed her more than he could put into words. Still, his mission hadn't stopped because of it, and if anything it was continuing with renewed effort.

He held his breath as she professed her love and stood straight to plant a kiss on his cheek. His hand caressed Eosi's own cheek as she did, parting her red hair in a more intimate gesture than most kisses, while staying appropriate to the semi-public setting. "And how I love you," he whispered in turn before planting a kiss of his own on her forehead. Later they'd have to turn more businesslike, but now was the time for a little indulgence in their feelings. Apparently they couldn't stand to be more than a few feet apart. Leo nodded at her question. "So it seems." Her comment on being eager to please elicited a like-minded response. "Tell me something I don't know." Eyes locked at the mention of rewards, he simply gave a vague smile that held as much promise as Eosi chose to put into it. "Should there be punishments as well, if you don't perform at your best?" He knew just when and how much he could tease her and get away with it.

He led her, arms linked, towards one of the stables. Possibly not the most obvious destination, but everything would be revealed in due time. Leo's mood darkened a bit upon hearing of her nightmares. "Fear is nothing to be ashamed of, love. It saddens me to hear, for I am probably the root cause of it. You can tell me about the nightmares, if sharing helps you. Also, the owner of this place has a special talent regarding dreams. Maybe she could be of assistance if we asked her." Leo hoped it wouldn't be so serious as to require Kavala's help, but he would consider it if Eosi's condition made it necessary.

"I've fared well, but the days have been lonely," he admitted. He doubted it would be a temporary condition, either. He led her into the stableyard. "You're going to see something special." There was a well-camouflaged secret passage between the stalls. Once opened, it revealed a path going down into the abyss of Semele. "There's more to the Sanctuary than meets the eye. They are allies, and their secret must stay with us." Leo led Eosi through the secret passage and down the long stone corridor. There were several turns along the way as it branched into open halls carved from the subterranean rock. Finally, they came upon a smaller, circular room with a deeply private feel to it. It was candlelit, with eight statues representing as many gods - Nysel, Rak'Keli, Eyris, Semele, Caiyha, Wysar, Akajia, and Laviku - arranged in a circle around an altar supposed by yet another figure, the former goddess Zintila flanked by Syna and Leth. They didn't really mean anything to Leo, being just statues. He had never needed symbols to go by.

"Kavala Denusk may have a flair for the dramatic, but this is still the safest place in all of Riverfall to perform the ritual," Leo said, his words reverberating across the circular walls. His figure flickered in the dim illumination. "For now, I'd have you relax, make yourself comfortable and tell me what you know about magic. We'll just take things from there." His words sounded kind, but focused. He wasn't going to let his feelings get in the way of the best possible outcome, and in this, too, they were on the same page.

Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Eosi on December 31st, 2012, 6:37 pm

At her remonstration, he smoothed down his hair in an effort to comply. Really, it was a half-hearted attempt and judging by his feigned innocence, the battle was already lost. Another time, another place. She hadn’t given up on him just yet. Upon her approach, his face shifted to his grin. "You'd be surprised to know," he replied. The grin eased into a smile and one hand reached to cradle her cheek, shifting through a tangle of thick red locks. "And how I love you," he whispered, kissing the smooth flesh of her forehead. The feeling of his warmth in the crisp morning air was pleasant and left her craving more. Just touching him had an addictive quality. Still, she’d resolved to keep her focus.

"So it seems." He considered her words. "Tell me something I don't know." Two could certainly play at that game, though it wouldn’t lead anywhere useful. Eosi gave him a devilish stare, wordlessly communicating what she thought about that. As he continued, her eyes dropped to his throat. "Should there be punishments as well, if you don't perform at your best?" Ah. Delicately, she glanced back up at him. If he were to know her, they’d be forced to broach the subject eventually. Her eyes grew hooded and dark. After a second she decided which path to choose. ”I’d prefer punishment, to be wholly truthful.” Sighing deeply, the lionness tried to shift into a normal frame of mind. ”That is… something you may learn.” The depth of that particular topic was altogether too much for their otherwise wholesome conversation. It’d be safer to move on to other things.

They then began to walk, arm in arm. Being with him always felt egalitarian, much like he’d proposed on their very first day. Eosi was astounded that she alone contained enough substance to balance her side of the scale. The day he unlocked her potential she’d felt it, and since then she had worn a crown of fire. It was rather empowering. His expression darkened at the mention of her dream. "Fear is nothing to be ashamed of, love. It saddens me to hear, for I am probably the root cause of it.” The Inarta frowned. It was so like him to assume responsibility. ”You can tell me about the nightmares, if sharing helps you. Also, the owner of this place has a special talent regarding dreams. Maybe she could be of assistance if we asked her."

”You shoulder blame which is not yours to carry.” She gave him a look of disapproval. ”There are things in this world which I now have cause to fear. You may have opened my eyes to them, but they’d existed all along.” As they walked, she shook her head. ”I had been naïve, cynical of the shadows that danced out of sight. I simply cannot ignore evil any longer. But that is my demon to content with, not yours.” She would not have him dealing with her fear. Perhaps placating it, but never taking it on.

"I've fared well, but the days have been lonely," he said, changing the subject. She had to admit she felt the same. They paused in the stableyard. “You're going to see something special." There was a mischievous twinkle in his eye. He revealed a secret door, hidden amongst the stalls. It never stopped with him. Eosi’s eyes widened slightly as he led her into the passageway. "There's more to the Sanctuary than meets the eye. They are allies, and their secret must stay with us." Mute, she nodded as they walked along the stone hall. She pursed her lips speculatively, wondering if the tunnel was shaped by reimancy. It looked to be carved directly from the rock. After a few hairpin turns, he led her into a circular room. It reminded her of a temple, that particular feeling amplified by a set of statues ringing the perimeter of a small altar. Eosi recognized the figures, most notably Syna and Leth but… The pantheon was conspicuously missing a figure.

”Her collection is lacking in certain areas,” she mentioned in reference to the fire god’s absence. It was an offhand sort of statement, but he’d decipher the meaning easily enough. "Kavala Denusk may have a flair for the dramatic, but this is still the safest place in all of Riverfall to perform the ritual," he announced. His musical speech bounced from wall to wall, the enclosed area amplifying the acoustics by a great deal. "For now, I'd have you relax, make yourself comfortable and tell me what you know about magic. We'll just take things from there." And so the lesson began. It didn’t seem too difficult to switch from lover to student. Not yet, anyway.

Eosi stared at the figures, lost in thought. ”Magic,” she began, ”interchangeably known at times as Djed, is the manipulation of the aforementioned substance in order to accomplish great feats.” She smiled at the sound of her own pedantic tone. ”Simply put, magic is a collection of art forms that in one manifestation or another require the use of djed – that which forms the very essence of the earth.” Had she mentioned her background? For a moment she let it hang before turning to face again, having stepped off to one side. ”I attended to the University of Zeltiva for three years,” she intimated with a grin.

”Beyond that, I can only say I know of certain disciplines and their theories. Alchemy has always had a certain allure, but I’d admit to learning Reimancy or Auristics first, given the chance.” It was interesting how she’d remain introspective and silent, then suddenly vocalize her every thought. It was his effect, to be certain. ”Now, of reimancy… I know little. Those secrets were well-kept.” It had been the more mysterious of the disciplines.

Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Leo Varniak on January 5th, 2013, 12:07 am

That she may prefer punishment came as a surprise, yet altogether not so much. Leo had caught many glimpses of Eosi's different aspects throughout the brief time he'd known her, and while he did not consciously know some things, deep down he was beginning to harbor suspicion. Still, the arch of his brow was the only indication that what she had just told him had even registered in his mind. He said nothing of it. This was neither the time nor place for such things, and any distraction could prove fatal given what they were about to do here. Leo was as scrupulous as they came; she would see just how much.

He nodded quietly as they went. Maybe he was taking on a responsibility that wasn't truly his, but then again he had a tendency to do just that. It had turned into a habit with the Djed storm. The world held more spite for the man who physically loosed the arrow than the one who paid him to do so. Eosi wouldn't let him take more than his fair share of it, and if the truth be told, she had large enough shoulders to bear the weight of it. He needed to have more faith in her abilities, or he wouldn't do her justice. There came a point when excessive protection could even be perceived as an insult, especially by eyes as proud as hers. He would do well to remember that.

He grinned at the mention of the missing piece of the collection. "I never said they were old-time allies," he retorted lightly, and proceeded to place a hand on Syna's shoulder, "but doesn't this make up for it?" Kavala would not have appreciated his touching the statue, what with her innate symbolism, but what she didn't know could not hurt her. It was a chunk of rock in the end, quite possibly sculpted with Reimancy just like everything else here. A nice thing to have in the background, but not the real thing. Leo withdrew from Syna's statue and took on a relaxed stance as Eosi began explaining what she knew about magic. Her knowledge seemed quite thorough, if entirely theoretical. Of course, attending the University of Zeltiva accounted for it.

Leo found himself nodding along. "Good," his praise came in a single word, but one charged with obvious meaning. Compliments never rained plentiful from him, but when they did, there was definite sincerity to each and every one of them. "Magic entails the manipulation of Djed, and personal magic like Reimancy uses one's own Djed as fuel for any reaction. Every time you are casting a spell, you're feeding it a piece of you; nothing is created, nothing is destroyed. Each display of magic eats at your structure, your order. The idea of you gets just a little more blurry. Worse things than death may occur if you abuse the power. We call this overgiving." He was dead serious as he spoke, knowing he would not have to repeat himself. Eosi had the makings of a good magic user, in principle; efficient, driven and determined. She'd make good use of these teachings.

He took a step forward and extended his arm with the palm facing up, index finger pointing at the ceiling. "This is what a Reimancer does." If Eosi looked carefully, she would see an oily substance wet Leo's finger as if he had sweated it from within. "We deal in Res. We make it from our bodies and then we transform it." A coil of smoke rose from Leo's finger as he set the Res on fire. It was enveloped in thin, but bright flames. "Res is an element waiting to be born. For you to be able to produce it, I must initiate you with my own." His finger was still burning, but the fire merely stroked Ivak's champion like a loving pet. "I must invade your being with my own." The implications made him flush ever so slightly despite all efforts to the contrary.

"What do you think?" he snapped out of his embarrassment with the sudden question. Eosi being Eosi, he wouldn't be the least surprised if she subjected him to a barrage of questions before she committed to anything. She always read the small print before signing, and this was a more delicate contract than taking Ivak's blessing. Magic was a neutral force that looked neither kindly nor unkindly upon those who practiced it; and really, sometimes indifference was worse than outright hostility. Unlike gnosis, magic truly didn't care about you one way or the other. You were always on your own.

Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Eosi on January 5th, 2013, 7:25 pm

If he held an opinion about the offhand remark, he said nothing. It had been a small lapse in judgment on her part in mentioning it all. That sentiment was shared as it passed between them in silence, moving on to other topics. There was a bit of anxiety within, a flutter of panic at the idea she’d revealed too much. Leo however, would surely bring it up again - just in a more casual forum. His level for retention was not something to be overlooked. Until that time, she had no control over where the prospect would be taken. With that thought she made a considerable effort to relax. Her shoulders unwound slightly as they maneuvered the narrow pathway.

Eosi was enticed by the opportunity to learn from an experienced source. Magic users were loathe to reveal themselves. Getting immersed in the field not only took a reliable contact, but also a great deal of trust. For a while it’d been her hope to befriend someone at the University. But the volatile young woman didn’t have many social graces. It had never quite panned out the way she’d hoped. Therefore, their descent into the sacred chamber was met with excitement. It was everything she had to avoid bounding ahead on restless legs. Instead, she hid a sheepish smile behind her curling mane.

"I never said they were old-time allies," Leo responded with amusement. Impertinent, he touched Syna’s statue. Eosi was nearly aghast. It took a bit of effort to restrain the resulting expression. As calmly as she could, she replied. ”Your irreverence does you no credit.” Her tone bordered waspish, and the oncoming glare was inevitable. ”They’re not interchangeable. The presence of one in no way counteracts the absence of another.” Sighing, she turned from him. He’d had more personal interaction with deities than she ever had. Perhaps his casual demeanor was what set him apart. They were just statues, after all. The respect was just ingrained in her, which attributed to the sheer amazement his tales could instill. Listening to Leo was like reading an epic, a tale penned from long ago.

After her explanation of Djed, he waited a beat. "Good," he replied. His approval brought back her focus. Color crept to her cheeks as she flushed with mute pleasure. Finding no fault with in her words, he seemed satisfied to continue. "Magic entails the manipulation of Djed, and personal magic like Reimancy uses one's own Djed as fuel for any reaction.” That was of course, the danger. She folded her arms and fell still, nearly blending with the stone around her. ”Every time you are casting a spell, you're feeding it a piece of you; nothing is created, nothing is destroyed. Each display of magic eats at your structure, your order.” This she knew. Djed couldn’t be created or destroyed; it simply changed shape, hence the ability to manipulate it into magic. ”The idea of you gets just a little more blurry. Worse things than death may occur if you abuse the power. We call this overgiving."

Eosi had heard of overgiving before. She nodded gravely, thinking of the morality tales associated with the particular term. It was worse than death indeed, if the stories were true. Still, she’d delve more deeply as they progressed. Magic was demonized in the more remote areas of Mizahar. She knew only of views held in Avanthal and Zeltiva and they were more than a little subjective. Zeltivans were mostly fishermen and dockworkers. Very superstitious. He pressed on, raising his arm and unfurling his palm. One index finger reached toward he sky. "This is what a Reimancer does." A light sheen began to coat the tip. "We deal in Res. We make it from our bodies and then we transform it." Fascinated, her eyes strained to watch the process in the room’s dim light.

The digit began to smoke. Her eyes brows raised slightly, amazed. A tiny flame sprang up, delicate but very substantial. Some part of her felt like applauding. Eosi had never been a witness to true magic. Not that she was aware of, anyway. "Res is an element waiting to be born. For you to be able to produce it, I must initiate you with my own." That was interesting. No wonder they needed privacy to do so. "I must invade your being with my own." He blushed, unable to help himself. The low tone that rolled from his lips sent her to clenching. Eosi’s eyes narrowed for a moment in a flash of lust, but she maintained silence. Anything to the contrary would be very, very dangerous.

"What do you think?"

”Hmm?” She responded distantly, his last statement having led her somewhere far, far away. Embarrassed, she cleared her throat. ”It’s incredible,” she replied, admiring the fire that licked along his flesh. ”It doesn’t damage you?” It was uncertain if that was simply a part of Reimancy or his gnosis from Ivak. Readying the interrogation, she inhaled deeply. Questions sprang to mind all at once and she compiled the list as each occurred. ”First, I need a more detailed explanation of overgiving. I’ve heard some folk tales and some brief explanations. What are some of the symptoms? How does one know if they’re encroaching that boundary? Is it possible to do so inadvertently?” In other words, how great was the danger?

Her feet began to slowly carry her, pacing serving as a stimulant for thought. ”Next, res. You draw on your own djed to generate it, I’m assuming. It seems quite unique. Do you summon it by thought? Can that too, be inadvertent? I won’t begin setting the curtains on fire, will I?” She flashed him a wry grin. ”And finally,” why did he have to phrase it the way he did? ”I’m assuming this invasion differs from the previous one.” Her amusement was clear. ”What does such an invasion entail? How will you initiate me, exactly?” Excitement began to creep its way through her veins, again. Her grin became a true smile, and her steps fell silent.

Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Leo Varniak on January 5th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Eosi's rigid approach to religion elicited Leo's smile. He wasn't normally one to make fun of things, but her shock fueled his icon-shattering ways. He took the lashing with a repentant stance and his head bowed, but his eyes, and the way he looked her way, were every bit as irreverent as the original action had been. No, Leo Zaital regretted nothing of what he had done. Normal people served through normal acts of devotion; exceptional people served through exceptional acts. Someone like him who conversed with several among the pantheon on friendly terms, would obviously know that. You served with your heart; everything else was dust and wind. Even so, he made a note to try and respect Eosi's sensibility on religious matters.

He was impressed with her ability to absorb information with single-minded attentiveness. As Leo began instructing her in the ways of Djed, she fell silent and still as if she'd joined the statues of the gods in their stoic vigil. Leo's gaze was one of pride and respect for his love. There was no doubt that she understood the benefits and dangers of magic, but she took it all in with powerful graveness. Just like Leo had told her almost right away upon meeting her, she was the type who could take a hard truth without flinching. No-one with a different inclination could possibly be the champion's lover - too many hard truths to contend with. Many people, especially those who started using magic as children, always underestimated the risks, letting themselves get carried away by the arrogance of believing themselves gods. There were many benefits to being initiated in one's adulthood.

As the lesson turned to the initiation ritual, the narrowing of her eyes brought back powerful memories of their first day together. Her mind was wandering, and it made Leo's wander to similar lands for a moment, lands where her eyes were the only part of her that wasn't completely exposed. But. It wouldn't do, not now. She shook herself at his question, and it made him smile. "It'd be bad publicity for Ivak if his champion got burned," he explained patiently, "but a single mark is what it takes to gain the immunity. To you, on the other hand, this fire will be deadly in your present state, assuming it's fire your soul is going to pick as your first element. No fire eating for you just yet, I'm afraid." He had taken this for granted until now. She might actually pick another one, even though he doubted this would be the case.

"Overgiving is just as bad as they say," Leo snuffed out the fire on his finger, and gently blew the smoke away. "The symptoms vary. You probably noticed my body is warmer than most. I have been running a fever since I was fifteen, because of overgiving from the very first spell I cast." Ivak's mark had nothing to do with it. Leo had opened up the floodgates too much, too fast. He'd carry that reminder for the rest of his days. "My case was rather exceptional. It's rarely that sudden. Usually, it's a gradual thing that gets worse as you keep casting. For most people, there's dizziness and vertigo, followed by bleeding, convulsions... and death if you keep casting. By far the most obvious tell-tale sign is euphoria, though. The more you want to cast, the more you crave it, the less you should do it. Also, the whispers. I have very rarely heard them, but sweet whispers are the worst. They tell you things, things you must never believe. They would have you do things. I think they are a part of you that you keep hidden from yourself, but still... they lie."

There was more than enough to raise one's hairs. Magic was deadly business and Leo wanted to get that across very well indeed. "Making Res is no more difficult than telling your hand to move, once you have trained your mind to do so. You just will it to appear in whatever form you wish - solid, liquid, or vapor - and your body will secrete it on command. It's a part of you, and as long as it's close enough to you, you can control it and move it around at will. I never triggered the release inadvertently, so I think that should not be a problem." But his explanation, so tidy and flawless up until now, suddenly turned awkward at the last question about the invasion.

"This invasion is unlike the other one, but it may still remind you of it," he was really trying his best here, but he had resorted to fidgeting a little. "I'd make Res into a steam and it'd... enter you, I suppose. Your lungs, your stomach, everything." Possibly not the best choice of words, he realized. "Also, realize this is my first time doing this." The awkward was unrelenting. "Well, I was instructed in my dreams by Ivak himself, so I know what to do, but I've never taught anyone before. You would likely feel me everywhere, and I'd likewise feel you. It could be," he struggled for the right word, "intense." And he left it at that, waiting for her reaction before he made any attempt at continuing.

Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Eosi on January 6th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Despite his eyes, he managed to look suitably contrite. Leo bowed his head in feigned sincerity and Eosi couldn’t prevent rolling her eyes. How could she ever be mad at him? Everything was alright as it’d previously been, and he moment passed. The Azenth seemed appreciative of the gravity in which she absorbed detail. It was hard not to become engrossed in the simple sound of his voice; it was a musical compromise of bass and baritone, each note carrying the weight of his words with masculine splendor. Leo's every element could be appreciated in it’s own right. But it was that whole she desired, for the sum of his parts added up to an ultimately greater ideal. Something so incredibly understated and yet overwhelming.

He wandered as well as she. Eosi could see the growing distance in his stare, that lustful glaze of memories held dear. "It'd be bad publicity for Ivak if his champion got burned," he said with a hint of irony. "But a single mark is what it takes to gain the immunity. To you, on the other hand, this fire will be deadly in your present state, assuming it's fire your soul is going to pick as your first element. No fire eating for you just yet, I'm afraid." It was impossible not to grin, not having previously imagined fire eating as a viable hobby. They’d burn the whole world to ash if they weren’t careful. To think she could embody his ideal... Her teeth bit into rosy flesh, thinking of two flames dancing in the otherwise bitter night.

The light went out. "Overgiving is just as bad as they say," he continued, going point for point. "The symptoms vary. You probably noticed my body is warmer than most. I have been running a fever since I was fifteen, because of overgiving from the very first spell I cast." She’d attributed that to his dedication to Ivak. The details of Leo the man were astounding. It seemed each part of his history was elaborately constructed by some keen hand, putting together some incidentally wonderful being. Still, there was caution there. The young woman frowned at the consequences she’d yet to behold. "My case was rather exceptional. It's rarely that sudden. Usually, it's a gradual thing that gets worse as you keep casting. For most people, there's dizziness and vertigo, followed by bleeding, convulsions... and death if you keep casting.” Each was catalogued and neatly folded away. It was not an issue she anticipated facing to begin with. Yet self-awareness was key. In time, Eosi would approach the mortal frailty that defined her in earnest. Her ambition was too great to deny such a thing. Still intent, she gave a slight nod.

”By far the most obvious tell-tale sign is euphoria, though. The more you want to cast, the more you crave it, the less you should do it.” That was the clincher. The Inarta furrowed, winding into a tense knot. That was her real danger. Magic was no god’s invention. Humans are designed the artform, and had willed it to be. It was indicative of the pitfalls truly hidden there. Eosi knew that she would be broaching true danger. But he pressed on, with grim determination. “Also, the whispers. I have very rarely heard them, but sweet whispers are the worst. They tell you things, things you must never believe. They would have you do things. I think they are a part of you that you keep hidden from yourself, but still... they lie."

Whispers. Voices in the dark. The hidden aspect of Eosi could manifest in some hideous presence and that terrified her. Yet she said nothing. Leo must know that it laid within her, dormant and eager to spring free. There was no such thing as unadulterated good - her dark side could potentially overcome. However the discipline, so very embedded at her core, would not abide such wanton evil. Eosi could not live as a monster. That was the only internal comfort that could be had. The Inarta denied such manufactured fears. She’d face this challenge with boldness and pride. Such was her heritage. She would become a living weapon, this time with a sharper edge.

On the topic of Res, he was more at ease. "Making Res is no more difficult than telling your hand to move, once you have trained your mind to do so. You just will it to appear in whatever form you wish - solid, liquid, or vapor - and your body will secrete it on command. It's a part of you, and as long as it's close enough to you, you can control it and move it around at will. I never triggered the release inadvertently, so I think that should not be a problem." That piqued her curiosity and therefore prompted a new round of questions. ”When summoning it into the form of an element, does it maintain the properties of the solid, liquid or vapor? Pray tell, how does the fireball float? In transforming the Res into fire for example, will it not plummet to the ground?” Eosi couldn’t wrap her mind around the science. When playing with fire, how could she avoid being burned?

But toward the end, he inevitably began to fail. The previous scholastic tone flagged, giving way to a more awkward fumbling explanation. "This invasion is unlike the other one, but it may still remind you of it," which began leading her back toward the physical urging it prompted. "I'd make Res into a steam and it'd... enter you, I suppose. Your lungs, your stomach, everything." It was a new level of intimacy. How mages who weren’t lovers could abide such a thing was baffling. To her it went deeper than any mortal connection. "Also, realize this is my first time doing this." Boyish and wary, his vulnerability came to light. "Well, I was instructed in my dreams by Ivak himself, so I know what to do, but I've never taught anyone before. You would likely feel me everywhere, and I'd likewise feel you. It could be," he truly struggled here, "intense."

The urge to kiss him, to touch him yanked with terribly ferocity at her strings. Self-control was tentative at best. Grinning, she tried to make a point of being good humored despite the blooming color on her cheeks. ”I would be honored,” she replied archly. ”I would like nothing more.” Perhaps even beyond reimancy, the prospect enticed her. ”Now that I’m aware of the danger,” she continued with a more serious expression, ”I believe that I’m prepared. Be my guide, love. I will not fail you.” With a few steps she was within inches. Just a simple caress would do, as her hand reached to cradle his cheek. To feel the new growth that resided there, to feel the boiling fabric of his flesh.

Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Initiation [Leo]

Postby Leo Varniak on January 6th, 2013, 10:41 pm

He was already pushing her to challenge her limits, he could see this much. To wield magic, she would have to confront her core and whatever monsters had made it their home. Leo had some first-hand experience in the field. She was driven and ambitious, both of which were admirable traits but could easily turn treacherous in this pursuit; but she was also aware of it. Part of the problem with large souls such as theirs was that everything they did was magnified to the extreme. In good and bad things their actions tended to leave a large imprint. Leo watched her expression darken at the mention of euphoria and sweet whispers.

Of course. There was nothing to be surprised about. It led him back to the very first facet he had known of her, the greatest fear. Curiously, it might be the very last thing Eosi would mention to him, being the creature of pride that she was. The loss of control, the notion of causing irreparable damage, it ate at her from within. She was probably wrestling with that very risk right now. It wouldn't be just a little bird getting its neck snapped if she failed at this. There was something dark in there, under the splendid skin he'd learned to crave. Maybe a side of her could have sympathized with his former, merciless vigilante self after all.

Still, Leo knew she would never overcome her shadow without a chance to fight it. To embrace it as a part of her, maybe. If magic was limited to flawless souls of the purest crystal, there wouldn't be any mages around. There was glory to the struggle, his own as well as hers. Time had taught him so, and time would teach Eosi. He would be there, her constant pillar through the storm. He refused to believe someone as strong as she could fall to the fears lying just beyond what the eye could see. He noted the lack of questions on the matter of overgiving and knew she was turning her sight inward. It was a good thing to do.

The talk about Res did bring some technical queries after all. Leo answered them easily with a light nod. "There's no relation between the form of Res before you transmute it into an element and what it gets turned into. The best state of Res depends on what you wish to achieve with it. If you want to cover a surface, you will make it liquid. If you want to keep it in one place, you'll generally go for a solid. If you want it to float, a gas is often the best way to go. I think it's easier done than explained. You will see. If things go smoothly you will be casting small fireballs on this very day." Eosi often preferred to go over the theory first and practice later, but some things were like swimming. You could ask all the questions in the world, and you still needed to get into the water first.

The final part of the explanation had both of them blushing like teenagers. It couldn't be helped, really. She approached him and caressed his cheek with surprising softness. Leo placed his own hand on hers and kept it there. It wasn't going to move away till the end of his. He enjoyed her fingers on his face for a long moment, closing his eyes to savor the opportunity. "And I will not fail you, love." They were meant to be touching at all times; any other state already felt alien to his core. Leo's breathing slowed down as he concentrated on the task at hand. The warmth of Eosi's hand would be his own guide throughout this responsibility.

Before long, she would begin to see the Res being generated. It was a shimmering steam, with dark red tones as befitting the color of the soul behind it, and it coiled in strange ways as it left Leo's body from the nostrils and the corners of the mouth. Normally, smoke would just dissolve, but the Res entwined itself around Eosi's extended arm instead. It inched its way down the forearm, caressing the skin as it burrowed underneath any clothing and causing her hairs to stand on attention. Soft tendrils stroked the Inarta's throat and the contour of her ears before moving into her nose and mouth. The smell and taste were unmistakably Leo's, but more concentrated; it was like being exposed to a summary of Leo Zaital's essence in its most defining traits. And she knew that the Res was as much a piece of him as his hand was, and the contact was mutual. It kept pouring out of his body and enveloping hers like a cloud. It forced itself down her throat with greater intensity, and reached into every little alveolus within her lungs, touching and being touched. It went also down her esophagus and into her stomach, and from there into most her internal organs, leaving a signature and awakening long forgotten powers. It entered her bloodstream through microscopic wounds and flowed with her life juice and lymph, navigating her vessels and filling her heart. He spared her nothing, nothing at all. Every smallest shard of her would be his to make anew.

Pearls of sweat were gracing Leo's forehead, the feeling of her so overwhelming that he wanted nothing more than to complete the union in the only way that was missing. But no. Focus. Focus was everything - her life was at stake here.

Leo Varniak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next