Meeting a Master (Anaius)

Anaius has gained entry into the Citadel and assigned a master, but he will quickly learn that not all is as it appears.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Mirage on January 6th, 2013, 6:29 pm

OOC :
Continued from here

The little golem would roll past the TAR, moving to exit the portal behind it to enter The Courtyard. As Anaius set foot onto those haunted grounds, the muted whispers suddenly began to rise in volume, whipping themselves into a chorus of echos and moans that continue to rise in pitch. All about the space half faded spirits could be seen drifting and floating about, all a grotesque mask of some horrible accident that had claimed their life on the island. Some would reach ghostly hands past the barrier of Iron Bars to grab at the man's hair and clothing, but some power would drive them back and they would return once more to their absent drifting.

From the Courtyard the Follower would take the left fork in the path, passing through large double doors that lead into the Dungeons. Cells upon cells lined the long corridor, and branching halls lead to even more filled cages, from which came calls for help, mercy and even death. Grimy, thin hands would reach from between the bars to grasp at Anaius' clothing as he past, raging harsh words and warnings to leave this place. Leave while he still could! On down they would travel, but in the last cell on the right they would see a cell filled with only one prisoner. A large man with blue skin who looked as if he might have been a warrior of some kind. His body was broken, red blood staining his hair and skin as he lay crippled in a corner. It could not be certain if he were merely sleeping or dead...

As the corridor turned right Anaius would notice the cold stones turning to rough rock as natural caverns began to overtake the golem built structures. Glowing blue arrows then began to light the way, pointing toward their current destination. The trip would take close to half a bell, but finally the follower would deposit Anaius before an old iron door covered in mold.

"Destination has been reached." and with that the follower would turn and roll back the way it had come.

Now it came down to Anaius. He could open the door if he wished, or he could heed the warnings of those he passed and make an escape for the harbor. If he chose to open it behind the door he would find a large rectangular room with pure white walls, a bit unexpected given the natural caves they had passed to get here. The room was filled with what looked to be metal carts on wheels with white sheets laid over them. Three of these carts were occupied, those who lay on them strapped firmly about their chest, knees, wrists, ankles and forehead. Muffled please for mercy or help could be heard, others simply cried and another cried as if he were a new born babe. Among the three stood a man who was bent over the crying one, his eyes locked on his subjects and his hands pressed against the prisoners temples.

OOCOk it is up to you. What do you do :)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Anaius V Silcharion on January 6th, 2013, 7:35 pm

“Anaius Vasilios Silcharion. You have been registered as a possible asset. Grombard Shrag has requested a new pulser be sent to him to further his experiments. A Follower Golem will take you to Lab 5-Q."

Grombard Shrag? Anaius has never heard the name in his life, not that he expected to be familiar with many of the Nuits that dwelled here in the Citadel, nor did he think the name would give much in the way of a hint as to his potential new instructor’s nature. His train of thought was interrupted by the appearance of a diminutive golem from behind the large one that had just spoken. Peculiarly shaped, the small construct resembled a mouse or other small rodent and it too spoke, though in a manner that would swiftly become very agitating were it to continue with its repeated demands of, “Follow, follow.” Inhaling slowly through his nostrils, the corner of his lip quirking briefly upwards in a faint flicker of amusement at his current situation, the man in blue followed in the wake of his minute guide, his traveller’s chest in tow.

The first area that they arrived in, a scarce few moment’s walk from the TAR golem, was not altogether what he had expected; A graveyard. Or something very similar to one, at least, with its tombstones and graves, and the eerie shroud of fog that cloaked the area..Ah, and the ghosts. This did not mark the first time in his life Anaius had encountered an otherworldly entity, but this was most definitely setting a precedent for the sheer amount of spirits in one place. He had halted for a moment due to his initial surprise but he didn’t exactly feel that staying still in the Courtyard would be the wisest of courses to take, not to mention his little guide was getting impatient and irritating again. The smooth skin of his brow creased and he frowned at the golem, tightening his grip on his chest and proceeding onwards, lip turned downwards in displeasure at the contraption.

His irritation with his metallic companion was short lived, however, as the faint whispering and muttering of the spectral inhabitants of the area grew to louder moans and muted cries of distress. With the increased volume came an apparent increase in aggressive behaviour, or curiosity, though Silcharion was not inclined to dismiss the grasping fingers that clutched at his clothes and hair as spurred by simple curiosity. The frown deepened into a scowl, his brows drawing down to knit together as he attempted to swipe the ethereal appendages away, only for them to be driven back by some unseen power. Glancing about for any immediate potential source of such an effect, his gaze was met by nothing but more fog and tombs. Dusting off his sleeves and shoulders with a hint of irritation, Anaius dismissed the thought and decided instead to focus on what might lay ahead for him as he walked.

From the Courtyard he was led to to the left, passing through another set of doors to find himself in a location that he couldn’t quite decide was an improvement over the courtyard or not. Judging from the many cells that comprised most of the area, and the inhabitants located within them, he made the logical leap to assuming that he was, in fact, in a dungeon. Splendid. He sincerely hoped that this was not his final destination, for as eager as he was to learn and further his studies in the magical arts, he was not entirely keen on doing so by withering away in a locked cell. Glancing sidelong at the mouse golem, he was relieved to find that it continued onwards without breaking pace, a practice he mimicked as he strode further into the dungeons, doing his very best to ignore the pathetic and haunting cries and warning from the denizens of the dark place. The few hands that sought to grope towards him he kicked away out of disgusts, his lip curling up at their repeated warnings for him to turn away and flee. Flee, him, Anaius Vasilios Silcharion? I think not. I will not suffer the same fate as you poor wretches. , or at the very least he would do his utmost to avoid ending up in the same situation.

Shrugging off their pleading, Anaius continued on his way, taking note of the large Akalak that was contained within one of the multitude of cells, the once impressive specimen crumpled in a corner in such a state it was difficult to tell if he was alive or dead. Anaius felt little sympathy for the prisoner, and even if he did he imagined there was little he could do to aid him at the moment. As it was, he chose to not waste his time by applying his Auristics skill to see if he truly was alive or not, and simply followed the golem. On and on they went, the stones of the dungeon slowly giving way to natural rock, where the area must have been carved from the very bones of the island itself. Where was he being taken? Did they keep the research area for Magecrafting down here, in case something went amiss? Or was this a test to see if he had the resolve to stay once he had seen the fate that awaited those too weak of mind and of will to not fall? He chose to favour that conclusion, shutting out the small but ever growing voice of doubt that whispered to him of a trap, of being lead into the spider’s web as willing as any fly. Perhaps he would end up as one of those poor wretches after all...

Thankfully, before that dour voice could get any stronger, the guide halted before an iron door that was covered in mold, informing him that his destination had been reached. Eyeing the rather unwelcoming portal dubiously, Anaius did not bother to hesitate before he pushed open the door and entered; He had, after all, come this far while knowing what he might be getting into. Little point in turning back down and discovering he had a cowardly streak to him.

The sight that greeted him was...Not what he had been expecting, to put it lightly. He had conjured images of a grand laboratory filled with rare reagents and wonders of the Magecrafting art, not..This. The closest thing he could liken it to was some peculiar infirmary, with its sterility, the lack of colour and the carts with sheets laid atop them. Not to mention the three of said carts that were occupied. Even someone so filled to the brim with confidence that it veritably overflowed, such as Anaius, would be taken aback by such a greeting, and so he was, halting in the doorway as the cacophony of the inhabitants muffled cries screams washed over him. Indeed, he was so focused on examining the various people strapped to the carts that it took him a moment to notice that there was someone else in the room, standing above the patient that wept like a child, with an air of intense focus about him.

Anaius took the chance to silently draw upon his Djed and focus upon the standing individual’s Aura, using his Auristics skill to attempt to discern something, anything about the man.
Anaius V Silcharion
The Aspirant

Words: 9924
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2013, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Mirage on January 8th, 2013, 6:32 am

This power called upon by Anaius would bring forth vivid colors to surrounded the man whom he focused on. Wavering shades of red and grey's mixed with fringes of black that spread through out his aura like some vine entangling all it touched. From him came a strong stench of rot and decay, and just barely there could be heard the sound of crows echoing from his figure.

These strange visions, sounds and smells would all flood Anaius at once, clouding him and blocking out his perception of the world as the aura seemed to grow and grow, turning darker, blacker and larger until it eclipsed the room. Anaius would be blinded until he finally shut off his auristics, immediately after which he would find the man standing merely an arms length away, cold eyes burrowing into his.

"Who... are... you... " Though he spoke softly his voice cracked like a whip. A feeling of unease, dark shadows of fear began to creep into Anaius' soul. His arms felt as if lead weights held them down, and he would find himself unable to break the gaze of the man before him. This figure of the unknown slowly began to grow in size, suddenly seeming to stare down at him from a great height. The shadows of the room collected around them, and if he strained Anaius might just be able to make out gloating laughter and cackles in the darkness.

A thought would strike Anaius like shock through his body, I'm going to die. I am going to die if I do not tell him right now. and with this thought came a new flood of fear. Fear of a swift end so soon after he had only just begun his journey...

The man would remain silent until an answer was given.

OOCOooo scary! Talk about a warm welcome ;)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Anaius V Silcharion on January 8th, 2013, 7:11 pm

The change from the mundane sight that every mortal shared to the unreal splendourous riot of colours and sensations that resulted from his use of Auristics always came as a mild surprise to Anaiuse, typically nothing more than a brief halting of brief at so dramatic a change. What greeted him this time, however, was even more startling than the typical auras he studied. The aura that expanded from the figure in the room was not one to inspire confidence in oneself, or in the good nature of the one before them. Waves of red and grey that ran the full range of their spectrums, from old and dark burgundies to the brightest and most vivid blood red he had ever seen. These colours intermingled with a deep and total blackness that permeated the entirety of the aura like rotted veins riddling a corpse - Which was what the figure smelled of, rotting flesh and sickly decay, the cloying stench of a body left too long without burial.

So powerful was the man’s aura that it grew to eclipse everything else from Anaius’ perception, occluding even the tormented auras of the figures strapped to the metal carts. Reeling from the sheer power and overwhelming presence of the aura, Anaius reacted on an almost instinctive level and clamped down on his Djed resources, cutting off the energy to feed his Auristics and returning his vision to normal - Only to be met with the realisation that the Nuit was so close that he could have reached out and stroked the rotten flesh of the man’s face. What captured his attention, however, was not the undeathly state of the individual before him, but the frigid eyes that stared into his own with a frightening intensity.

“Who...Are..You.”

The voice that spoke was quiet, almost soft. Never, though, would Anaius apply the description of gentle to that tone, for it held all the comfort of a lash tearing the skin from his back. Suppressing a shudder at the eerie sensation, Silcharion nonetheless felt immaterial fingers of fear gripping at the edges of his soul, seeking purchase enough to drag it down into the depths of terror. The already intimidating man before him began to grow, becoming impossibly large, so much so that he was able to look down upon Anaius who was himself a very impressive height. The base instinct of fearing something that much larger than you kicked in, compounding the initial unease he had felt, adding to the weight of fear that pressed down upon him from all sides as the shadows coalesced about the giant, faint echoes of maddened laughter brushing against Anaius’ senses.

Through this assault upon his courage, a single thought shot through to spear into his soul with perfect clarity; I'm going to die. I am going to die if I do not tell him right now. Terror suddenly filled his every sense, his already leaden flesh growing cold and numb. He had come so far, accomplished so much and had finally made it to Sahova, but this was but the beginning of the path to his ambitions. He was going to die, right here and right now, if he did not answer this creature’s demand. Before him he saw a faintly glowing crown, suspended in the darkness. As he reached out to take it with his right hand, it flickered, changing to a sword that radiated enormous destructive potential, flickered again to become a heart that beat with magic instead of blood. He reached out, so close his fingertips could almost brush against the thudding flesh only for it to be ripped away, and he was falling, plummeting through the darkness that swallowed him whole.

Abruptly, he blurted out, “Anaius! My name is Anaius! I-I’m Anaius Vasilios Silcharion.” , his tone was desperate and he gasped as if struggling for air. Attempting to marshall his immense will to combat the terror and banish it altogether, he succeeded in only gathering himself enough to speak, though his voice was strained and cracked. “I know Magecraft, and Auristics. I came here to grow. They sent me here. You needed me for something. Please, dont’ kill me. I can’t die here, not now, not before I’ve attained my goals. I will not die until I do!”

OOCLet me know if you want me to change anything! One heck of an introduction
Anaius V Silcharion
The Aspirant

Character sheet

Postby Mirage on January 9th, 2013, 5:35 pm

As soon as the question was answered the shadows and voices would disappear rather suddenly, the man now appearing normal sized as he turned to stand over the crying man once more, "Anaius Vasilios Silcharion. What a pity. I ask for a strong willed user and I receive a child who can hardly keep from wetting himself at the slightest push."

His hands wrapped around the restrained man's temples once more, and the man on the table convulsed, his eyes rolling back in his head. Without looking up Shrag addresed Anaius, "What is it you want boy? I have no time for the timid and weak minded."

OOCSorry its a very short post, but very little needed to be said to get the story moving :P

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Anaius V Silcharion on January 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm

All at once, Anaius was himself again. The unnatural fear that had plagued him dissipated along with the illusory shadows and he regained his typical iron grip upon his composure and will. Straightening himself, he slowed his breathing to normal levels and took a moment to dust off his sleeves, rolling his neck around in a slow circle and clearing his throat.

So the petcher had used magic in order to create a false fear in him. He had not been expecting that, not at all, and had been caught unawares. A child who could hardly keep from wetting himself at the slightest push, was he? Well, Grombard would find that the next time he would not be so easily influenced, now that he knew what the Nuit was capable of. And if he kept pushing, as Anaius suspected he would, then Shrag would find that the young man was very capable and willing to shove back, as hard as it took. He was not here to play games or to cower because it amused the rotten corpse before him. He was here to grow, and to continue on his path to his goals. If Shrag was not careful, he would become just another stepping stone that Anaius planted his foot upon. Let Grombard think him weak, for the time being. The advantage of being underestimated was not one Silcharion would be above utilising.

Flexing his fingers out, Anaius’ wintry gaze focused upon the Nuit who was so intent upon his victim, the young man ignoring the poor wretch that squirmed and twitched upon the cart. “What I want is, for the moment, immaterial and out of my reach. As for why I am here, I was directed here by the golem at the entrance. I was under the impression I would be lead to someone that would enable me to put my magecrafting to use, but evidently they chose otherwise.” Arching an eyebrow at Grombard, he gestured at him with a lax wave of his hand. “I assume, then, that I have been sent here either to make use of my Auristics or to be the next lump of meat to be made to twitch and drool under your...Tender ministrations.” The long, elegant digits of his right hand slowly curled inwards, the pale appendage forming a fist. Anaius’ features remained perfectly calm and unruffled, the gesture apparently one of habit and not of anger. “As for your remark about possessing a weak will, you will find that you are incorrect.”

A thin smile blossomed upon his lips, the expression possessing a certain knife-like quality that would be unnerving were it directed at anyone other than the man before him. Anaius possessed little in this world, yet the one thing that he had always been able to rely upon to see him through thick and thin was his sheer force of will. Foolish though it may be, it was time to put it to the test, right here and now. After all, if he could not pass muster here, at the very beginning of his journey, then he would not be worthy to continue on.

“Try your trick again, ancient. We shall see who is weak willed.”
Anaius V Silcharion
The Aspirant

Character sheet

Postby Mirage on January 10th, 2013, 1:25 am

Without looking up Shrag responded, "The term 'weak' is a relative term which I would apply to all of your kind. You are weak in that you have little time left in this world. You are weak in that you shall never grasp the depths of my craft. You are weak in that you must feed and sleep and do other such bodily processes." He straightened and turned to Anaius, "You are weak in that you all hold so strongly to your pride and arrogance, so much so that when that is stripped away you become nothing more than pitiable wretches, shells of your former selves which are of no use to me in the slightest."

Shrag took one step closer, his hands folding behind his back as he continued, "On and on you drone on about your pride in this, your honor that. When, in fact, it all is but a mask that you wear to hide the true self nestled deep within the very heart of each and every one of you." He snapped his fingers and all three men began to cry, struggling in panic, eyes bulging as they stared at hidden phantoms, "Your kind has so many fears Ser Anaius. So many terrors which you fill the world with. Specters in the shadows, voices in the wind. In every species, in every race there is something within you that holds onto fear. Panic, rage, anger, and all such emotions... All of these things make your kind the same. Make all of you WEAK." He practically shouted this last word. While he talked Anaius would find himself unable to look away, a strange sense that every word that this man spoke might be important in some way. Say what he would about Shrag, true or otherwise, he was certainly a good speaker.

Shrag took another step closer, and Anaius, though he could backpedal, would not be able to make any actions to stop the slow approach, "Do you realize, Ser Anaius, where exactly they have sent you?" Silence would fall, but just as Anaius tried to answer Shrag would continue, "The TAR in all its wisdom has sent you here, to me. To the very depths of the cruelest pits that Sahova has to offer. It has sent you to Sahova's greatest asset... Its master torturer."

Another step forward, and all the while Shrag continued to talk, drowning out anything Anaius might wish to say, "Though you do not realize it yet, Ser Anaius, you are dead. You have been dead from the moment you set foot off of the docks. What a fool you are. What a truly weak fool to have given up your life simply for the chance of achieving something great." Shrag would stop, just a few short steps away, and smile a cruel, evil smile, "I still see it. That fire in your eyes that you dredge up from some false sense of pride. You, even now, still believe that you are able to resist anything that is put against you. Still your pride and arrogance hold you down, weigh upon you like a shroud, suffocating you with its fumes." As he spoke Anaius would begin to feel that very weight, his breathing becoming difficult, "Yet still you do not believe me? Very well then I shall lift the illusion the Citadel has cast upon you." Shrag raised a hand to point at Anaius, "Look at your hand... look at the truth that has been hidden from you."

Anaius would feel a nearly uncontrollable urge to look down, to bring his hand before his face, and when he did he would find a horrifying sight. His hand... It was grey, bits of flesh falling free so that white bone could be reviled underneath. Maggots swarmed beneath his skin, crawling up out and through his hand. The same visions could be seen in every body part he examined. His sword and armor was rusted brown and falling apart, his entire body rotting. If he touched his hair large clumps would come out with bits of flesh attached.

"You are dead Ser Anaius. You are dead because you were weak."

The visions were harsh and felt so so real, and Anaius could do nothing to banish them save for his acceptance... his acceptance for how little he truly knew and understood. His acceptance of his weakness. When he truly understood this, the foolishness of his pride and arrogance the visions would vanish without a trace. Shrag would still be standing beside the gurney just as he had before, hands folded behind his back.

"I have no need for the foolish, and I care not if you are weak for all of your kind are weak. What I do require is someone to assist me in furthering my research. If you have learned the error of your ways then you might stay here, and perhaps find what you are looking for as well."

OOCAnaius cannot fight the visions even if he tries to hold onto what he thinks is real. I will respond to your PM shortly. Also, you do not have to try and respond to everything he says, and most of the time he was forced to be silent anyway :P

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office